You are on page 1of 5

SSW JSC(09)1st

Draft Minutes 09/001 – 09/014

Stagecoach South Western Trains Limited


DRAFT Minutes of a meeting of Joint Safety Committee
held on Wednesday 11 March 2009 at Friars Bridge Court

present: Jan Chaudhry Operations Director (chairman)


Christian Roth Engineering Director
Andrew Welsby Human Resources Director
Brian Cook Head of Safety and Environment
Keith Usher Operational Standards Manager
Andrew Fairbank Head of Stations
Barbara Davenport Head of Employee Wellbeing
Graham Morris District Organiser, ASLE&F
Darren Howe Drivers Health and Safety Representative, ASLE&F
Martin Dye Drivers Company Council Representative, ASLE&F
Alan Martin Health and Safety Representative, Island Line
Peter Gale Regional Organiser, RMT
Rickey Goodman Company Council Representative, RMT
Bill Read Health and Safety Representative, RMT
John Walsh Health and Safety Representative, TSSA
Mick Pollek Regional Industrial Organiser, Unite the Union
Andrew Edwards Legislation and Standards Manager (secretary)
Steve Morgan Area Commander, British Transport Police*
* present for items JSC09/001 to JSC09/004 only

Apologies for absence were received from:


Stewart Palmer Managing Director
Ian Johnston Customer Services Director
Martin Peakall Head of Operational Standards
Iain Anderson Divisional Secretary, TSSA

Item
JSC 09/001 The Chairman welcomed Committee members. The Committee noted the
minutes of the last meeting, held on 10 December 2008.

JSC 09/002 The Committee reviewed the items on the actions tracking log. Any actions
carried forward have been recorded on the log, which is appended to these
minutes.

JSC 09/003 The Head of Safety and Environment gave a presentation to Committee
members on South West Trains’ and Island Line’s safety performance for
Periods 9, 10 and 11 2008/9.

(continued…)

JSC2009(1st Meeting – 11 March 2009) - Page 1 of 5 -


SSW JSC(09)1st
Draft Minutes 09/001 – 09/014

JSC 09/003 Safety Performance (continued)

003.01 Performance Indicators


The Head of Safety and Environment advised the Committee that the
performance indicators had been updated to reflect the 2009 target
values. As a result, most of the indicators are currently worse than
target.

003.02 Passenger Accidents


The Committee noted the increased number of passenger accidents
during the winter period. The TSSA Safety Representative asked
whether station car parks are included in our winter precautions. The
Head of Safety and Environment advised that the station management
teams had produced individual station winter plans based on local
priorities and resources available. Car parks normally are not treated
as priority areas.

003.03 Station Overruns


The Committee noted that station overruns were now broken down
between all overruns and those classed as driver responsible. The
ASLEF District Organiser asked why some of the station overruns that
occurred during the low adhesion period are classed as driver
responsible. The Operations Standards Manager advised that all
overruns are investigated using OTMR and driver interview and if the
investigation reveals that low adhesion is the cause then these are
classed as driver not responsible.
The ASLEF District Organiser commented on variations in the
performance of different stock types during the low adhesion period
and asked whether ASLEF could have a debrief on the 2008/09 leaf-
fall period in conjunction with the other train operating companies
operating south of the River Thames. The Chairman advised that this
would be arranged, depending on the co-operation of Southern and
Southeastern.

003.04 TPWS activations approaching red signals


The Head of Safety and Environment informed Committee members
that there had been a reduction in the number of TPWS activations
approach red signals during the low adhesion period.

003.05 Environmental Issues


The Head of Safety and Environment outlined the progress that has
been made in improving the amount of waste recycled. The Head of
Safety and Environment advised that energy consumption during
January was higher than the target value, mainly as a result of the
cold weather during the month.

JSC2009(1st Meeting – 11 March 2009) - Page 2 of 5 -


SSW JSC(09)1st
Draft Minutes 09/001 – 09/014

JSC 09/004 The Area Commander of British Transport Police gave a presentation to the
Committee on the London South policing plan. This was then expanded
into a wider discussion on the company arrangements for dealing with crime
and anti-social behaviour.

The Area Commander explained that there has been an increase in the amount
of non-notifiable crime as a result of changes in Home Office reporting rules.
Cycle crime is a particular problem on the SWT network and the BTP will be
targeting prolific offenders during the coming year, although initiatives will be
balanced against the need to put most emphasis on the serious offences that
discourage passengers travelling. The Area Commander advised that the
detection rate for offences continues to be significantly higher than the force
average and that the relationship with SWT Security and Crime Prevention staff
continues to work well.

The Health and Safety Representative RMT asked whether there could be a
direct link from the cab-radio to the BTP control. The Committee discussed the
point and decided that the best opportunity to address this is via a pre-dial
arrangement once the GSM-R system becomes operational.

The TSSA Safety Representative asked about the arrangements for viewing
station CCTV evidence as part of the investigation into cycle theft. The Area
Commander explained the reasons why this would not be the best use of police
resources.

The RMT Company Council Representative asked whether the company had
considered if there will be a possible rise in crime when revenue protection
staff numbers are reduced. The Head of Stations advised that the current
proposals catered for the retention of local RPI teams and late night blocks.

The ASLE&F Company Council Representative asked about the response


arrangements between BTP and the Civil Police. The Area Commander
advised that 90% of all calls received are attended by BTP and that all 999
calls will be received by the BTP control room as well as that of the Civil Police.

The Chairman thanked the Area Commander for attending the meeting and
giving the presentation on the current position. The Chairman asked the
Legislation and Standards Manager to make the necessary arrangements to
invite the Area Commander to give the Committee a further update in 12
months time.
ACTION (2009-001): Legislation and Standards Manager

JSC 09/005 The Committee reviewed the latest copy of the CIRAS report. The ASLE&F
District Organiser explained the reasons behind requesting this item be
included on the agenda. The Committee agreed that a review of the latest
CIRAS report will be a standing item on the agenda.

JSC2009(1st Meeting – 11 March 2009) - Page 3 of 5 -


SSW JSC(09)1st
Draft Minutes 09/001 – 09/014

JSC 09/006 The RMT Regional Organiser raised the issue of Union Inspection Notices
as a means of giving formal notification where the union safety representative
believes that safety issues are not being properly addressed. The Head of
Safety and Environment advised the RMT Regional Organiser that Union
Inspection notices were designed for use in small organisations that did not
have such formalised arrangements as South West Trains has with its Trades
Unions. The Committee agreed that the current arrangements were working
effectively and that introducing union inspection notices was unnecessary.

JSC 09/007 The RMT Regional Organiser asked for clarification on the policy for the failure
to agree on health and safety items and advised that HMRI would be contacted
if it was felt necessary. The Head of Safety and Environment confirmed that
South West Trains have arrangements in place to deal with the issues and have
no problem with the union escalating issues to HMRI if it was felt necessary.

JSC 09/008 The Head of Safety and Environment advised the Committee that one of the
company’s Safety and Environment Plan objectives for 2009 is to establish a
library of reference information for safety representatives. The Head
of Safety and Environment circulated a list to Trades Union representatives and
asked them to review the list and provide feedback on the items included within
a month.
ACTION (2009-002): Trades Union representatives

JSC 09/009 The Legislation and Standards Manager advised the Committee that South
West Trains will be holding a number of risk workshops to review our
significant risks using the RSSB’s Safety Risk Model. The Legislation and
Standards Manager advised that he would arrange for suitable nominations
from Trades Union health and safety representatives to take part in the risk
workshops, which will take place towards the end of April.
ACTION (2009-003): Legislation and Standards Manager

JSC 09/010 The Drivers Company Council Representative raised an issue regarding fire
extinguishers on trains. The driver of a 4 car class 458 unit was asked to
put out a lineside fire using the on train extinguishers. Despite both
extinguishers on the train appearing to be operational (with the needle on the
indicator in the green), neither worked when operated. The Engineering
Director advised that the incident is under investigation. The Committee asked
the Engineering Director to confirm that there is no underlying issue with the
batch of extinguishers.
ACTION (2009-004): Engineering Director

JSC2009(1st Meeting – 11 March 2009) - Page 4 of 5 -


SSW JSC(09)1st
Draft Minutes 09/001 – 09/014

JSC 09/011 The Drivers Company Council Representative raised the issue of the removal
of the groundframe at Bournemouth depot. The Drivers Company
Council representative advised that mainline drivers were given no consultation
period on the changes originally and when consulted no apparent action has
been taken to address the concerns raised. The Drivers Health and Safety
Representative advised that the main concern is the lack of lighting on the
depot stop boards and the instruction given to use flashing headlights as a
means of communication between the driver and the shunter.

The Chairman advised that the removal of the ground frame had been a long
time in the planning but there was a need to sit down and go through all of the
issues and that lessons could be learned in how we consult on similar changes
in the future.

The Chairman asked the Operations Standards Manager to arrange a meeting


between the Drivers Health and Safety Representative, Drivers Company
Council member and Head of Operational Standards to resolve any
outstanding issues.
ACTION (2009-005): Operations Standards Manager

JSC 09/012 The RMT Regional Organiser asked for his concerns at the safety implications
of the current business restructuring to be noted.

JSC 09/013 The Committee considered the topic for discussion at the next meeting and
agreed that it should be the way in which we prepare for unexpected
situations. The Head of Safety and Environment agreed to ask the Safety
Standards and Emergency Planning Manager to give the presentation to the
next meeting.
ACTION (2009-006): Head of Safety and Environment

JSC 09/014 The date of the next meeting of Joint Safety Committee is Wednesday
10 June 2009 and will be held in the Beaulieu Room, Friars Bridge Court
starting at 13:00.

Please advise the Legislation and Standards Manager of any items for inclusion
on the agenda for this meeting by 5pm on Tuesday 26 May, including any
supporting papers.

The dates of JSC meetings for the rest of 2009 are as follows:
• Wednesday 23 September 2009; and
• Wednesday 16 December 2009.

JSC2009(1st Meeting – 11 March 2009) - Page 5 of 5 -