SSW JSC(09)2nd Draft Minutes 09/015 – 09/027

Stagecoach South Western Trains Limited
DRAFT Minutes of a meeting of Joint Safety Committee held on Wednesday 10 June 2009 at Friars Bridge Court present: Jan Chaudhry Christian Roth Ian Johnston Andrew Welsby Brian Cook Phil Eke Barbara Davenport Peter Renno Martin Dye Alan Martin Peter Gale Rickey Goodman Bill Read Iain Anderson John Walsh Mick Pollek Andrew Edwards Operations Director (chairman) Engineering Director Customer Services Director Human Resources Director Head of Safety and Environment Operational Standards Manager Head of Employee Wellbeing Drivers Health and Safety Representative (ASLE&F) Company Council Representative (ASLE&F) Health and Safety Representative, Island Line Regional Organiser (RMT) Company Council Representative (RMT) Drivers Health and Safety Representative (RMT) Divisional Secretary (TSSA) Health and Safety Representative (TSSA) Regional Industrial Organiser, Unite the Union Legislation and Standards Manager (secretary)

Apologies for absence were received from: Stewart Palmer Managing Director Keith Usher Acting Head of Operational Standards Graham Morris District Organiser (ASLE&F) Item JSC 09/015 The Chairman welcomed Committee members. The Committee noted the minutes of the last meeting, held on 11 March 2008. The Committee reviewed the items on the actions tracking log. Any actions carried forward have been recorded on the log, which is appended to these minutes. The Head of Safety and Environment gave a presentation to Committee members on South West Trains’ and Island Line’s safety performance for Periods 12 and 13 2008/9 and Period 1 2009/10. 017.01 Performance Indicators The Committee noted the general trend in the performance indicators which is generally positive compared with the TOC average.

JSC 09/016

JSC 09/017

(continued…)
JSC2009(2nd Meeting – 10 June 2009) - Page 1 of 5 -

SSW JSC(09)2nd Draft Minutes 09/015 – 09/027

JSC 09/017

Safety Performance (continued) 017.02 Staff Assaults The Drivers’ Health and Safety Representative (RMT) asked whether the introduction of the gatelines at Waterloo had resulted in an increase in the number of assaults. The Customer Service Director advised that there had been no increase in assaults. The Committee discussed the robustness of gateline passes issued to staff. The Company Council representative (ASLE&F) indicated that because of the amount of times Waterloo drivers are using the passes each day, they deactivate more frequently than those issued to other staff groups. The Customer Service Director advised the Committee that it is hoped to introduce a Smart Card type barrier pass for SWT employees in the future. 017.03 Environmental issues The Drivers’ Health and Safety Representative (RMT) indicated that there is currently no scheme in place to recycle office paper waste at Waterloo Raft. The Head of Safety and Environment agreed to raise the issue with the Environment Manager. ACTION (2009-07): Head of Safety and Environment The Company Council Representative (ASLE&F) asked if we could introduce a measure of energy saved through regenerative braking into the pack. The Operations Director advised that although we are considering initiatives to reduce the amount of traction energy consumed, it is difficult to provide an accurate measure of this information as a KPI. The Engineering Director updated the Committee on the progress in trialling regenerative braking and the issues associated with current leakage from the third rail system.

JSC 09/018

The Legislation and Standards Manager gave a presentation to the Committee on the output from the Safety Risk Model review workshops that took place in April. The Legislation and Standards Manager explained that the workshops focused on the practical control of risk rather than the numerical assessment and also took into account precursor events such as door operating irregularities. The Legislation and Standards Manager summarised the key findings from each of the workshops and explained how the suggested ideas for action would be considered and progress tracked for the actions that are to be taken forward.

JSC2009(2nd Meeting – 10 June 2009)

- Page 2 of 5 -

SSW JSC(09)2nd Draft Minutes 09/015 – 09/027

JSC 09/019

The Committee discussed the way SWT manages significant risks. The Company Council Representative (ASLE&F) indicated that there has been an improvement in the way risk assessments are carried out with the involvement of staff. The Head of Safety and Environment emphasised that front-line staff involvement is a key part of the company process. The Health and Safety Representative (TSSA) asked whether we could do more to reduce the number of accidents involving elderly passengers alighting trains. The view of the Committee was that in general, guards make announcements in plenty of time. The Health and Safety Representative, Island Line advised that there are no significant issues of concern on the Island at present and that vegetation has recently been cut back, especially in the vicinity of footpath crossings. The Health and Safety Representative (ASLE&F) enquired about automatic printout of schedule cards to show SDO locations. The group noted that this would not cater for late changes in stock formation and that the positive action of the guard marking the schedule card will maintain the focus on the SDO locations applicable on the route.

JSC 09/020

The Committee discussed the latest issue of the CIRAS journal. The Trades Union representatives advised the Committee that they no longer receive the latest version of the CIRAS journal. The Head of Safety and Environment agreed to investigate this. ACTION (2009-08): Head of Safety and Environment

JSC 09/021

The Legislation and Standards Manager briefed the Committee on forthcoming changes to Fire Safety legislation in response to a query raised by the District Organiser (ASLE&F). The changes related to sub-surface stations only and, in practice, do not change the way such stations are managed. The Committee noted that the changes have no effect on the way that fire safety is managed by South West Trains and Island Line.

JSC 09/022

The Company Council Representative (ASLE&F) asked for an update on modifications to the Class 455 fleet to provide cab-cooling and enquired about proposals for stock changes during the summer to use air-conditioned stock in place of stock that is not fitted with air-conditioning. The Engineering Director advised that although the trial fitment of cab cooling to a Class 455 unit was successful, Porterbrook, the units’ owners, have indicated that similar modifications across the 455 fleet do not meet their investment criteria. The Engineering Director advised that SWT are still in discussions with Porterbrook to try to move this issue forward, however it is too late for any modifications to take effect by this summer. (continued…)

JSC2009(2nd Meeting – 10 June 2009)

- Page 3 of 5 -

SSW JSC(09)2nd Draft Minutes 09/015 – 09/027

JSC 09/022

Class 455 cab-cooling (continued) The Operations Director advised that train planning were developing a contingency plan whereby the WICC would be able to swap some 455s with 450s on particularly hot days. The scope for such swaps is greater at weekends. The Committee agreed to leave the item on the agenda and to review the experiences over the summer period at the JSC meeting in September.

JSC 09/023

The Head of Employee Wellbeing briefed the Committee on proposals to change the way screening for drugs is carried out. The new method of screening will produce an indicative result within five minutes. The Head of Employee Wellbeing advised that we propose to carry out a three month trial during the planned random screening programme, whereby samples are tested using both the new and existing methods to prove that the method is effective. The Head of Employee Wellbeing advised that we do have a number of “false positive” tests each period through the authorised use of medication. The Head of Safety and Environment noted that one of the benefits of the testing method is reduced anxiety waiting for test results. The Regional Organiser (RMT) noted that this will not remove anxiety should the “instant” screening reveal a positive result. The Committee agreed that the Head of Employee Wellbeing should conduct the trial of the new method of screening and to present the results back to the next Joint Safety Committee. ACTION (2009-09): Head of Employee Wellbeing

JSC 09/024

The Head of Safety and Environment asked the Trades Union representatives to provide an up to date list of health and safety representatives following the recent organisational changes. The Trades Union full time officials advised that in many cases they are unaware of who has left the company. The Legislation and Standards Manager agreed to review the existing list with the Human Resources Director to identify where individuals had left the company before sending the list out to the full time officials. ACTION (2009-10): Legislation and Standards Manager / Human Resources Director

JSC 09/025

The Health and Safety Representative (ASLE&F) advised the Committee that he believed that there had been an increase in the number of Class 458 units in service with the gangway doors not deployed. The Engineering Director advised that this should not be the case, although from time to time, there may be one or two units in service in this condition due to defects. (continued…)

JSC2009(2nd Meeting – 10 June 2009)

- Page 4 of 5 -

SSW JSC(09)2nd Draft Minutes 09/015 – 09/027

JSC 09/025

Class 458 gangway doors (continued) The Operations Director asked the Drivers Health and Safety Representatives to advise him of unit numbers and dates if he became aware of any future instances and he will follow them up to find out the reason.

JSC 09/026

The Committee considered the topic for discussion at the next meeting. The Legislation and Standards Manager advised that BTP will be giving a presentation on how they respond to staff assaults at the next meeting. The Committee agreed that the presentation by the Safety Standards and Emergency Planning Manager on preparing for unexpected situations should be deferred to the December meeting.

JSC 09/027

The date of the next meeting of Joint Safety Committee is Wednesday 23 September 2009 and will be held in the Beaulieu Room, Friars Bridge Court starting at 13:00. Please advise the Legislation and Standards Manager of any items for inclusion on the agenda for this meeting by 5pm on Tuesday 8 September, including any supporting papers. The date of the December JSC meeting is: • Wednesday 16 December 2009.

JSC2009(2nd Meeting – 10 June 2009)

- Page 5 of 5 -