Stonebridge News

News and information for the Stonebridge Crossing Community
January 4, 2009 Volume 1 – Issue 6

Norfolk residents can apply for emergency heating assistance until March 15, 2010
Source: City of Norfolk Press release

Norfolk residents who need help paying primary heating costs, utility deposits, or for the repair or replacement of heating equipment may apply for the Crisis Assistance Program through March 15, 2010 at any Norfolk Department of Human Services location. In order to qualify for assistance, residents must have received a cut off notice if heating their home with natural gas or electricity. Residents who heat with propane, oil or kerosene, must be low on or out of heating fuel to qualify for assistance. The maximum gross monthly income to qualify is $1,174 before taxes for a household of one, and $2,389 before taxes for a family of four. Funded by the federal Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program block grant, the Crisis Assistance Program serves approximately 100,000 households each year across the Commonwealth. For more information about the Crisis Assistance Program contact the Norfolk Department of Human Services at 664-6035.

Norfolk opens new household hazardous waste and electronic waste facility
Norfolk opened a new collection facility for household hazardous and e-waste. Available for Norfolk residents for free (proof of residency is required), the facility operates Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and is located at 1176 Pineridge Road. For a complete list of accepted items, call 441-5813 or visit

Upcoming Events
January 18
Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday

Do you have a news tip or story idea? Email us at:

Stonebridge News

© 2009 - KENTCANDO

Neighborhood University offers grant writing and Census 2010 sessions
Norfolk's Neighborhood University is a community enrichment program dedicated to providing quality training to neighborhood leaders in Norfolk. The courses are intended to equip neighborhood leaders with the tools needed to make and keep our neighborhoods great places to live. Sessions coming up in January:
Grant Writing for Grass Roots Groups – Basic Grant Writing Monday, January 11, 2010 6 pm – 9 pm Granby Municipal Building, 4th floor 401 Monticello Avenue, Norfolk Become a successful grant writer! This course provides detailed instruction on finding grants, writing grants, and evaluating grant applications and guidelines for neighborhood-based projects. Stand Up and Be Counted! – The 2010 Census Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6 pm – 8 pm Huntersville Neighborhood Service Center 830 Goff Street, Norfolk Every household in the country will receive a census questionnaire in early 2010. To ensure an accurate and fair count of all populations at all geographic levels in the nation, the Census Bureau needs you or someone in your household to respond to the census questionnaire by completing it and sending it back. Why?

Is the street light in front of your home broken?
There are two easy ways to report a broken light in the city of Norfolk: 1. Contact Dominion Virginia Power at 1-888-667-3000 2. Call the city's Public Works Department at 664-7301 or complete the form at eetlights.asp When reporting a broken streetlight, please provide the nearest address of the pole or the nine-digit pole number, and a description of the problem such as light out, broken lens, light going on and off, exposed wires, etc.

Norfolk Police Department
Community Resource Officer

Officer R.D. Lewis
Police Operations Center 3661 Virginia Beach Blvd. Norfolk, Virginia 23502 Office (757) 664-7226 Cell: (757) 390-0398 Email: robert.d.lewis

For more information visit hd_10l.asp.

Want your news faster? Follow us online at or
Stonebridge News


© 2009 - KENTCANDO

Sign up to vote on this title
UsefulNot useful