This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Name: Dipika S Prajapati Course: M.A (ELT) final
Topic: Choose at least 10 advertisements (either from TV or newspaper/magazine).Prepare a series of worksheets for secondary level learners. You must have at least the following in each of them: One pre-task Reading comprehension questions Two vocabulary tasks Two grammar tasks One writing task Write a research report on your materials production. The reasons for choosing the advertisements. The principles that you had in mind while preparing the tasks. What do you think are the tasks capable of achieving. Any problems that you faced and how you overcame them.
Date of submission: 9/11/2009. Date submitted: 9/11/2009 Signature of student:
Submitted To: Mr.kiran Chauhan Dr. Atanu Bhattacharya
It is a general conception that the success of language teaching or acquisition lies solely on the methodology of teaching .However, it should be noted that it is the materials which play a crucial role in making language teaching a success. Materials are like a compass which show the direction to the teachers for language teaching. They are equally helpful to students in language learning. ‘One of the first role or function of material is that they provide opportunities for learning’ good language learning’, Robin says,(1979:17-18) “depends on atleast three variables: aptitude, motivation and opportunity” Of the three, the third variable, opportunity includes materials and all those activities both within and outside classrooms which expose the learners to the language and which provide an opportunity to practice what has been learned. Now the question arises, what is material? Materials refer to anything that is used to facilitate the learning of language and increase the learner’s knowledge and experience of the language. Materials can be of two kinds, (1) Prescribed materials (2) Authentic materials “Materials could be cassettes, videos, CD-ROMs, dictionaries, grammar books, work books or photocopied exercise. They could also be newspapers, food packages, photographs, live talks by invited native speakers, instructions given by a teacher, wrappers, advertisements, tickets etc. In other words, they can be anything which is deliberately used to increase learners’ knowledge and or experience of the language.” As the authentic materials contain the language of the real world, they provide learners with the opportunities to explore the language of the real world and practice it. Moreover, authentic materials focus on the meaning and uses of language in different contexts rather
than on forms of grammatical structures and their relationship to one another. Authentic materials see language as a system of communication. Taking in to consideration the advantages of authentic materials, I chose advertisements to prepare worksheets for secondary level and prepared various tasks based on them.
Worksheet No: 1
ADVERTISEMENT OF INCREDIBLE INDIA T.V Commercial Pre-Task:
Look at these pictures and discuss with your partner, Why do such monuments attract the tourists?.
Listening Comprehension Questions:
(1) What was the husband doing on the wall? Ans._________________________________________________________________
(2) How many years old is the monument?
Ans.___________________________________________________________________. (3) Which subject you think does Aamirkhan teach?
Ans.____________________________________________________________________ (4) According to Aamirkhan, what is our duty as an Indian citizen? Ans._________________________________________________________________ (5) What is the message of this advertisement? Ans._________________________________________________________________
(1) Watch the advertisement again and Match ‘A’ with ‘B’.
(1) Deface (2) Marvel (3) Monument (4) Legacy (5) Resist (6) Preserve (7) Protect
(1) feel wonder (2) structure of historical importance (3) keep safe from harm (4) try to prevent or fight against (5) something left to someone in a will (6) spoil the surface of something (7) keep in its original form
(2) Find the appropriate word which best suit to the sentences. (1) People / public are watching ‘The kaun banega karorpati’ on T.V. (2) Historical monument / historical building make us glimpse into history. (3) Plastic spoils / defaces the earth. (4) It is our duty / responsibility to give respect to the elders. (5) Historical places mirror the history of ancient time / old time
Notice the following sentences. People are watching. What are you doing? Monument which uncle is trying to deface is 2000 years old. This is called the present continuous tense. It is used For an action going on at the time of speaking. For a temporary action which may not be actually happening at the time of speaking For an action that has already been arranged to take place in the near future.
(1) Following sentences are formed in present continuous tense or progressive tense but their functions are different .Classify them according to their functions. (1) They are playing cricket now. (2) Mr. Ramlal is writing a novel.
(3) Look! Somebody is picking the flowers. (4) I am going to my home town on Saturday. (5) Mr. Menon is flying to Singapore tomorrow. (6) Your friends are waiting for you. Hurry up.
An action happening at the time of speaking :
An action which may not be happening at the time of speaking.:
An action that indicates near future:
Look at the picture and describe it by using present continuous tense.
Look at the following pictures and identify different cultures. For example: Gujarati culture. Write three or four sentences about each culture .For exam: people, language, costumes, food, festivals and tourist places.
Worksheet -2 Advertisement of Air India :
Work in pairs. Watch the video clip and find out what is the advertisement about.
Reading Comprehension questions:
Read the advertisement carefully and answer the following question. (1) For which sector does an air India offer a summer special fares? Ans.____________________________________________________________________ (2) If one business man wants to travel to Delhi from Mumbai on 18th June 2009, on which _date he will have to book his ticket to get the benefits.?
(1) 18th May, 2009. (2) 15th May, 2009 (3) 15th April, 2009. (3) What is the fare of the flight from Kolkata –Chennai? Ans.___________________________________________________________________ (4) Say following sentences are true or false. • • Customers have to pay extra for taxes if they want to travel by Air India. _______ The travelling from Mumbai to Goa is cheaper than travelling from ChennaiHyderabad in Air India _______
Vocabulary Tasks: (1) Arrange the given words categorically if you find words difficult, look them up in
dictionary. One is done for you.
(Aero plane, Air traffic controller, Runway, Supersonic aircraft , Hanger, pilot, Tail, Ground staff, Wings ,Cockpit, Jet , Helicopter, Fuselage ,Duty free shops, ,Joystick, Departure lounge, Steward ,Nose)
Different kinds of Parts of vehicles vehicles
People with it
working Associated facilities
(2) Fill in the gaps by choosing the appropriate words from the bracket.
(Delayed, plane, airport, flew, take off, land, passengers)
Last week, he __________ to Newyork. It was an early morning __________.The plane was to __________ at 6 am and ___________at 7am local time .He was stranded at the ____________ overnight .The _________ was _________ by fog. Air _______ often suffer such delays.
Look at the table of the fares in the advertisement and notice the following sentences. • • The ticket of air India flight from Kolkata to Chennai is costlier than flight from Mumbai to Goa. Delhi is more far from Mumbai than Kolkata.
The above sentences are the example of comparative degree. Comparative degree is used to do comparison between the things or the persons. ‘than’ is used in comparative degree after comparatives. We use -er for the comparative of short adjectives and adverbs. For example: big – bigger , hard - harder We prefer - er with some two syllable adjectives, especially adjectives ending in –y . For example: lucky - luckier, funny – funnier. We use more for other two syllable adjectives and longer adjectives For exam: more expensive, more comfortable. (1) Frame the sentences from the given words by using comparative degree. You can add more words while framing sentences wherever you feel necessary. (1) Honey (2) Ashwarya (3) Vodafone (4) Ratan Tata sweet beautiful good service rich sugar. Susmita BSNL Mukesh Ambani play Indian cricket team
(5) Australian cricket team
(2) Notice the following chart and answer the question.
180 175 170 165 160 155 150 145 140 135 130 Priya Aashtha Shreya Tanya Hight in c.m
(1) Who is shorter than priya?
(2) Who is tallar than Aastha?
(3) Who are tallar than Priya?
(4) Who is the tallest girl?
(5) Who is the shortest girl?
If your friend happens to travel from mumbai to Goa during your summer vacation with his family and you come across this advertisement.Will you recommend him to go by this Air India flight. If, yes.Why ? and If No,Why not ? Write it in about 50 words .you can take the help of following words. Fares Class Service Timing Food
.________________________________________ _______________________________________ _______________________________________ _______________________________________ _______________________________________ _______________________________________ _______________________________________
worksheet no - 3
Advertisement Of Ponds Age Miracle
Work in pairs. Discuss what do people do to retain their beauty or to look more beautiful or handsome .list out at list two ideas.
Reading Comprehension Questions:
(1) In this advertisement, which metaphor is used for eyes? Ans.______________________________________________________________
(2) What does an under eye brightening cream do to help eyes look beautiful? Ans.______________________________________________________________
(3) What is the impact of upper eye collagen cream on the skin? Ans.______________________________________________________________
Say following sentences are true or false.
(4) PONDS age miracle cream is a fairness cream.______
(5) PONDS age miracle cream helps in removing slight lines on the skin.______
(1) From these jumbled words find combination for describing appearance of people , as in the example. For example:- Good looking
Fine Bright Good Beautiful Wavy Dark Sharp Handsome Chubby
hair skin chick looking boy eyes girl lines circles
(2) Match the words with the definition which best suit them in the context of this advertisement. 1) Shimmer a) To shine with a soft tremulous or fitful light. b) To reflect a wavering sometimes distorted visual image. 2) Bright a) Shining b) Intelligent
3) Elasticity a) Ability to return to normal cize or a shape after being stretched. b) Flexibility 4) Repair a) Restore to a good condition b) Expatriate
Notice the following sentences. • • •
Your eyes are an ocean reflecting your dream. It leaves your skin looking visibly youthful. This is called the present participle in English. The present participle is used for indicating a continuous action. In other words, it indicates an action which is in progress or unfinished.
(1) In the following paragraph, there are some errors. Identify those errors and rectify them.
Once, Mahesh and Arvind went to the bus stop to receive their friend. While they were sitting on the bench, Mahesh saw a five hundred rupee note lie on the ground. He was in a dilemma whether to pick the note or not. Arvind asked him to pick it up. Then Arvind heard someone talk on the phone to someone about the loss of 500 rupees. Meanwhile Mahesh saw the same person search desperately in his pockets. Both Mahesh and Arvind discussed what they saw and heard and finally they came to the conclusion that they should give it back to the person who had lost his money. 18
(2) Combine pair of sentences by using present participle and write them in a form of paragraph. (1) I saw a child .The child was crying. (2) I gave him his toy. The toy was lying besides him. (3) But he didn’t pick the toy .he saw his mom who was carrying a milk bottle in her hand.
Ans._________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________
Describe an actor or an actress which you like the most using the following points. You can also take the help of adjectives given in the advertisement. • • • • • Complexion Types of hair Height Acting Speech
Ans:_____________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ 19
Worksheet - 4
Advertisement of Yamaha bike ( T.V Commercial ) Pre task:
Work in pairs. Make a list of different kinds of vehicles which you are fond of driving.
Watch and listen to the advertisement carefully and fill in the gaps. It all started when my brother did not _________ me ride his bike. I had to have a bike. I wanted to set my pulse ______________ feel ____________that’s what;
________________ .I had to buy Yamaha. You want to __________ it? Change the rules.
(1) Match the words with the pictures. (1) LED Tail Lamp & integrated rear turn signal.
(2) Sporty style head light.
(3) Majestic fuel tank
(4) Digital speedometer
(5) 150 CC engine with new design
(2) Put the cross on the nouns which are abstract. Bike, excitement, feelings, head light, pulse, knowledge, rules.
Notice the following sentences. I had to have a bike. I had to buy Yamaha. In above sentences, you must have noticed the use of ‘had to’ which is past form of the form ‘have to’ .The form ‘have to’ is used to show compulsion. When one wants to describe or narrate the things related to past, he is supposed to use the form had to. (1) Rewrite the following sentences using ‘had to’.
1) He had exams yesterday so; he was forced to wake up early in the morning. Ans.___________________________________________________________ 2) Rakesh’s father passed away last year so, he was compelled to give up his studies.
Ans________________________________________________________________ 3) He could not do his work in time so, he was asked to leave his job.
4) He was caught in loot so; he was forced to go behind the bars.
(2) Choose the appropriate form of ‘have to’ from the brackets and fill in the gaps. (has to, had to, will have to, have to) (1) The greatest advantage of speaking truth is that you do not ____________ remember what you said. (2) Oh my god! I missed my bus, now I ___________ catch the train. (3) He does not have a vehicle, he _____________ go by bus to his office. (4) India ____________ lose many heroes to get independence. (5) People ___________flee the area on account of frequent earthquakes in Gujarat.
Observe the given advertisement of Suzuki bike carefully and find out the special features of this bike and write them down in the form of a paragraph. You can make use of conjunctions like and, but, though, because and discourse markers like moreover, however, in addition to.
Worksheet - 5
Advertisement Of Indiabulls Power Ltd Pre task:
Work in pairs. Look at the picture and discuss, what is it? What is it used for?
Reading Comprehension Questions:
1) To what is power compared?
Ans.___________________________________________________________________ 2) Which are the major areas where power is used?
Ans.____________________________________________________________________ 3) What is the challenge to India’s journey towards development?
4) What is the unit to measure the power?
Ans.____________________________________________________________________ 5) Say whether the following sentences are true or false. • • The plant of India bulls are already developed in Maharashtra and Chhattisgarh.______ India bulls power Ltd proposes to deliver more than 66000 mega watts of power.______
(1) Match the words with the definitions which best suit them in the context of this advertisement. I. Power a) A source or means of supplying energy. b) Possession of control authority or influence over others. II. Propose a) To form or put forward a plan or an intention. b) To make an offer of marriage. III. Deliver a) To set free. b) To give birth to. IV. Virtual a) Being such in essence or effect though not formally recognized or admitted. b) Being on or simulated on a computer or computer network.
(2) There are some words which begin with ‘under’. For example: underdevelopment. List out some other words which begin with ‘under’.
Notice the following sentence. India bulls power, having projects underdevelopment in Maharashtra and Chhattisgarh proposes to deliver approximately 6600 megawatts of power. Because after all, uninterrupted power means uninterrupted progress.
Here the word ‘because’ is used as a connecting word. The clauses introduced by subordinating conjunctions like because, as, that, since are called adverb clause of reasons. These subordinating conjunctions indicate the causes in subordinating clause of the consequence of the main clause.
(1) Rewrite the following sentences using because, as, since, that.
1) Indian football team could not qualify in the world cup tournament because of its poor performance.
2) Representatives of different countries got to gather in order to discuss the issue of climate change.
3) Isro team was congratulated on its discovery of water on the moon. __________________________________________________________________
4) People became homeless in Manila therefore; they will have to restart their life again.
5) Realities shows often disguise the reality and therefore, they are criticized.
(2) Match A with B. A 1) We can’t advertise on T.V. B 1) because they are always exaggerated.
2) I don’t watch television.
2) because they are paid a handsome amount for them.
3) Since you say so. 4) We never trust advertisement.
3) because it’s expensive. 4) I must believe it.
5) Now a days, news papers are flooded 5) because I hate T.V. with ads.
Write each sentence under the picture describing it. write all the sentences in the form of paragraph or a story. You can use the discourse markers like once , moreover ,further more however ,that is to say. (1) (2)
Ans.____________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________
Advertisement of Lenova Laptop: (T.V Commercial)
List out atleast two electronic gadgets which you can carry everywhere.
Listen to the advertisement carefully and fill in the gaps. I am with me and you will be in the world of _______________________ and however you see in to your imagination. Will be in, with a spin, travelling in the world of __________________ What will see will define ___________________ If you want to ____________________ Simply look around and you will and any thing you want to do is you want to change the world.\ _________________ nothing to win.
(1) Put the odd one out. Creation My View Look
imagination yours due seem
confusion hers watch see
(2) Listen to the advertisement again and put tick mark on the words which are used as verbs. Spin, view, change, see, present.
Notice the following sentence. If you want to view paradise, simply look around.
The above sentence is called the conditional clause. It states a condition that condition has not happen yet .It could happen in the future. If makes predictions about the future. The result clause gives a possible result. (1) Match the clauses to make logical conditional sentences. A 1) If government does not control the population rights. 2) If you move to the city 3) If there is a smaller population 2) unemployment will increase. 3) India will wage a war. B 1) They are conscious about their
4) If Pakistan does not take any action against terrorism 4) you will have to face pollution. 5) If the people are educated. a job 5) there will be less competitions for
(2) Answer the questions with a future conditional clause. If we don’t recycle the garbage ______________________________________________ If there is no board exams for standard 10th _____________________________________ If pollution gets increased day by day _________________________________________ If children watch television too much _________________________________________
Which of the modern inventions is most useful according to you in 21st century. Why ? Support your answer with appropriate arguments. Write it down in about 50 words. Ans.____________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________
Worksheet No : 7
Advertisement Of Tropicana 100% Mixed Fruit Juice.
Work in pairs. Watch the advertisement carefully and discuss What the children are doing in the advertisement. (Teacher will mute the sound of the advertisement)
Reading Comprehension Questions:
(1) Tropicana 100% mixed fruit juice is made of which fruits? Ans._________________________________________________________________ (2) Why is Tropicana 100% mixed fruit juice called 100% fruit juice? Ans._________________________________________________________________ (3) What does Tropicana 100% fill the body with? Ans._________________________________________________________________ Say following sentences are true or false. (4) Tropicana 100% is not available in any other flavour.__________ (5) Tropicana 100% mixed fruit juice gives a slight lemon taste._______
(1) Fill in the blanks by choosing opposite word from the bracket of the underlined words. ( Sweet, spicy, mild, hot, natural ) (1) This is_________ chocolate .I want bitter one. (2) Don’t take ________ food but have a mild food. (3) Oh! It’s strong coffee. I forgot that you like the ________ one. (4) I like to have __________ juice which is free from preservative. (5) What would you like to have _______or cold coffee?
(2) Put the odd one out. Delicious Juice Farms Vitamins Artificial Sip Yummy Ice- cream Wood Minerals Fake bite Superb Soup Orchard sodium Real morsel
Notice the following sentences. There is a 100% juice in every sip.
Juice is made from the choicest fruits. Fruits picked from the finest farms across the world. This is called preposition in English .A preposition is a word which is placed before a noun or a pronoun to show the relation in which the person or thing denoted by the noun stands to something else.
(1) Fill in the blanks by using appropriate prepositions. ____ India, bangles, locket and a vermillion mark _____ the forehead are symbols _____ a married woman. Daily the husband applies the vermillion _____ the wife’s forehead as it is believed to be connected his life line. When husband dies, professional mourners‘s come and strip the woman ______ these symbols.
(2) Fill in the blanks by using ‘to’ or ‘of’. (1) He complained _____the headmaster _____ his colleague. (2) He acceded _______ my request. (3) He gave it _____the man. (4) He is fond _____ work. (5) He has borrowed money _____several Marwaries. (6) Dog is always faithful _____ his master. (7) Neitik is committed _______Akshara. (8) Rahul complained _____the injustice done ____him.
Here the recipe of fruit cocktail is given but the sentences are jumbled. Rearrange them and write them in the form of a paragraph.
Mix the pineapple, grape and orange juices. Cut the pineapple in to big pieces. Add one teaspoon of water and put it in a liquidizer. Strain the juice. Peel and chop the apples and add to the fruit juice. Just before serving, add the glucose, salt, pepper and crushed ice. Put the mixture in a liquidizer. Put the grapes in liquidizer and strain the juices.
Worksheet - 8
Advertisement Of Dove Conditioner (T.V Commercial)
Work in pairs. List out atleast three media through which we come to know about the launch of new product.
Listening Comprehension Questions:
(1) What proof does Dove conditioner give to showcase its effectiveness? Ans.____________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________ (2) What happens when hair is damaged? Ans.____________________________________________________________________ (3) What makes a new Dove different from other products? Ans.____________________________________________________________________ (4) What does Dove conditioner repair? Ans.____________________________________________________________________ (5) List out the words, which end with –age? Ans.____________________________________________________________________
(1) Make compound nouns from the noun ‘hair’. For example:- hairbrush a) ________________ d) ________________ g) ________________ b) ________________ c) ___________________
e) _________________ f) ___________________ h) _________________
(2) Match the words with the pictures. (Curly hair, wavy hair, crew cut, straight hair, receding hair, bald)
Notice the following sentences. 1) Its advance repairing cerium targets the damage preciously which repairs your hair where it needs most. 2) New dove conditioner therapy repairs your hair where it needs most.
Under lined words are called relative pronouns. Relative pronouns join two statements. They refer to some noun going before which is called their antecedent. Moreover, relative pronouns refer to nouns and therefore they are called relative pronouns. Here in the first sentence, the word which refers to the nominal group “its advance cerium” and there by does the function of pronoun. In the second sentence ‘where’ refers to the place.
(1) Join to gather each of the following pairs of sentences by means of a relative pronoun like whose, which, who, where. (1) Karina Kapoor acted very well in ‘Jab We Met’ .she won film fair award. Ans.____________________________________________________________________ (2) The serial ‘Tarak Mheta Ka Ulta Chasma is very popular among television viewers. It is based on Gujarati culture. Ans.____________________________________________________________________ (3) The rescue operation is going on in Indonesia. In Indonesia, the earthquake came recently. Ans.____________________________________________________________________
(4) Balasaheb Thakare will have to work hard to regain power. His party lost very badly in the vidhansabha election. Ans.____________________________________________________________________ (5) The scientists are working on vaccine of swine flue .Swine flue took life of many people. Ans.____________________________________________________________________
(2) Find out the words which are referred to by relative pronouns in the following sentences. (1) I don’t remember the name of the person whom I met yesterday. (2) The book ‘You Can Win’ which is lying on the table is written by Shiv Khera. (3) I gave him a rupee which was all I had with me. (4) The sun whose rays give life to the earth, is regarded by some people as a god. (5) Tata Motors launched the car which is the cheapest car of the world.
Write down in about 50 words on advantages and disadvantages of the advertisements. you can use the following discourse markers like first of all, firstly, secondly, moreover, in addition to, that is to say, however, in conclusion. You can use the following points. Temp the people Exaggeration Trustworthiness Impact on the children Promotion of the product For the awareness
Ans.___________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________
Advertisement Of Liverpool Fashion stop:
Work in pairs. What difference do you find between shopping mall and store? List out atleast two differences.
Reading Comprehension Questions:
(1) Which are the things available at Liverpool fashion stop? Ans.____________________________________________________________________ (2) How much discount does Liverpool fashion stop give on children wear? Ans.____________________________________________________________________ (3) By whom is this fashion stop going to be inaugurated? Ans.____________________________________________________________________ (4) Give the names of the cities where the outlets of Liverpool are. Ans.____________________________________________________________________ (5) Say weather the following sentences are true or false. • Liverpool is the name of the fashion brand.________
(1) Choose the correct option from the given bracket. (Casual wear, formal wear, traditional wear, formal shoes, track suit, sport shoes, designer wear) (1) Meena wants to look elegant in her friend‘s wedding party and therefore she will buy a ____________ (2) Come in a _____________ because tomorrow we have a Navaratri celebration. (3) Do you have a good pair of ______________ because you will need it for tennis tournament? (4) When you go for an interview, Do wear a ______________ (5) People feel comfortable in jeans .it is a _____________ (6) If you are going for a walk, why don’t you wear ______________
(2) Make nouns of the following verbs. Celebrate _____________ Invent _____________ Define _____________ Revise _____________ Imitate _____________ Examine ____________ Pronoun _____________
Notice the following sentence. She took off her shoes and put on her slippers . The underlined phrases are called phrasal verbs. Phrasal verbs are basic verbs which can combine with different prepositions to make verbs with completely new –and often unguessable –meanings. Phrasal verbs are used more in speaking than in writing.
(1) Put the tick mark on the correct meaning of the underlined phrasal verb. 1) He put his own name forward to the communities. • • • • to propose to register
2) He is good at putting his ideas across. To communicate to others To manipulate.
3) I find it very hard to take in his lectures. To understand To tolerate. 4) What do you make of him? To think To call. 5) This whether is really getting me down. To depress To make pleasant.
(2) Read the following conversation between husband and wife carefully and Guess the meanings of the underlined phrasal verbs . Nihar: Turn on the light. Will you? Viha : But, I turned it off just ten minutes ago. I thought you were a sleep. What woke you up? Nihar: Anyone can wake up with the noise on the next door. I will have to close the windows just to get the sleep. It’s enough to make me want to take up drinking again. Now I am going over to the neighbours and tell them to turn down the music. Viha: Cool down, it is important to get along with the neighbours. Nihar: But I just want to find out what is going on there.
Rearrange the sentences and write them in a form of an invitation card .Combine the sentences wherever you feel necessary. We are happy to announce. We have cultural programme. Cultural programme will be on 31th Nov, 2009, Monday. Your presence will make the programme a remarkable one. And the programme will take place at H.M Patel School, Bakrol Road.V.V.Nagar. Ans. _______________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________
Worksheet - 10
Advertisement Of Vediocon D2h.
Work in pairs. List out the modern inventions which are now becoming quite used to in 21st century. For example: computer
Reading Comprehension questions:
(1) Write down the full form of D2H? Ans. ____________________________________________________________________ (2) What does D2H technology do? Ans.____________________________________________________________________ (3) What is the scheme given by Videocon d2h? Ans. ______________________________________________________________________ (4) Mention different packages offered by Videocon d2h. Ans. _______________________________________________________________________ (5) Give atleast two names of infotainment channels? Ans.____________________________________________________________________
(6) Say whether the following sentences are true or false. The price of satellite LCD is 13,490 only. ________ Customers will have to pay extra for taxes to buy satellite LCD. _________ Before Videocon d2h, satellite LCD d2h were introduced in the market. _________
Notice the following example. Information + entertainment = Infotainment This is an example of blending. When two separate forms are combined to form a single new term is called blending. However, blending is typically accomplished by taking only the beginning of the one word and joining it to the end of the other word. Here, the word infotainment is accomplished by taking the beginning of the word ‘Information’ (info) and joining it to the end of the word ‘entertainment’ ( tainment ).
(1) Make the blending of the following words. (1) Channel + tunnel = (2) Breakfast + lunch = (3) Motor + hotel = (4) Television + broadcast = (5) Gujarati + English =
(2) Match A with B. (1) Revolution (2) Technology (3) Entertainment (4) Satellite (5) Discovery (6) Innovation purposes. (1) An artificial object placed in the orbit. (2) Amusement or divergence. (3) Introduction of something new. (4) an act of discovering. (5) A dramatic and far reaching change. (6) The application of scientific knowledge for practical
Notice the following sentences. Now sit back and enjoy crystal clear entertainment all the time. It is direct therefore it is correct.
Underlined words are called conjunctions. A conjunction is a word which is used to join words, group of words or sentences. Conjunctions are of four types. (1) Additive: (adds two clauses) For example: and (2) Adversative: (establishes an opposite relationship) For example: however (3) Causal: (establishes relationship of cause and consequences. For example: because. (4) Temporal: (establishes relationship of time) For example: afterwards
(1) Find out types of conjunctions in the following sentences and put the tick mark accordingly. No 1 Sentences Indian people have showcased their talent on the world platform. For example : kalpana chawla 2 Though my friend‘s house is small. It is beautiful. 3 Junior doctors in Kasmir went on strike and as a result, patients suffered a lot. 4 Let me complete my work additive adversative causal temporal
meanwhile you can play with my baby.
(2) Complete the following sentences. (1) I like to watch TV commercial because ___________________________________. (2) Though advertisements are exaggerated ____________________________________ (3) The girl in Slum Dog Millionaire acted very well therefore______________________ __________________ (4) Many companies spend money on advertising because ________________________ (5) In summer, the days are very hot but_______________________________________
You read the advertisement VIDEOCON d2h. Here, some questions are given based on this advertisement. Answer the questions taking in to consideration what you felt about this advertisement. You can use the conjunctions which you learned in the grammar task.
Is the advertisement eye catching? If yes, why? and If No, why not? Ans.______________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________
What do you like the most about this advertisement? __________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________ Would you like to buy this product? Why and why not? __________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________
Authentic materials contribute to a great amount in creating a kind of learning environment. However, it does not mean that any piece of paper or any video can do this task. There are number of factors which one has to take in to account while choosing the authentic materials. While choosing the advertisements, I took in to consideration the following aspects.
The list of advertisements which I selected for the preparation of worksheets.
1) Incredible India. 2) Air India. 3) Ponds age miracle cream.. 4) Yamaha bike. 5) Indiabulls power limited. 6) Lenova laptop. 7) Tropicana 100% fruit juice. 8) Dove conditioner. 9) Liverpool fashion stop. 10) Videocon d2h
The Reasons for choosing the advertisements.
1) For providing comprehensible input:
The first reason behind choosing these advertisements was that, these advertisements are capable of providing comprehensible input (i+1) .In other words, the advertisements are not too easy or too difficult for the learners which could demotivate them. They are challenging enough to sustain their interest and motivation of the learners.
2) To bring variation:
While selecting these advertisements, I tried to bring in variations so that, learners can enjoy the tasks without any kind of stress or burden.
3) To include vocabularies of different domains:
Third, which I kept in mind while selecting these advertisements was that it should include the vocabularies of different domains. For example: the advertisement of ‘Incredible India’ includes vocabularies related to history. ‘The Air India’ advertisement takes with it vocabulary of travelling so that, learners can learn the vocabulary of aeronautics. Cosmetics advertisements of ‘Ponds cream’ and ‘Dove conditioner’ are capable of teaching vocabularies related to physical appearance. On the other hand, the food item ‘Tropicana’ consists of vocabulary of eatables and adjective related to it. ‘Liverpool fashion stop’ advertisement can get the learners acquainted with different kinds of clothes. Moreover, the advertisement of ‘Yamaha bike’ which provides the learners with the information about the field of automobile. I also tried to include the advertisements of the things which have now become an integral part of our life. e.g. Lenova laptop Indiabulls power limited. Videocon d2h.
4) To enhance their comprehensibility by providing audio visual clue:
Among ten advertisements I chose 4 audio-video advertisements. The reason behind choosing audio-video advertisements is that audio visual impact adds to the comprehensibility of the learners and they help the learners grasp the thing easily and give them practice to listen to the language of real world. The rest of the advertisements are from the newspaper or from the magazines. They give learners practice of reading comprehension.
5) To meet to learners’s interest:
I also took in to consideration the interests of the learners and therefore, I chose advertisements of those things which are of learner’s interest. I also paid attention to the interest of boys and girls categorically. The advertisement of bike attracts the boys whereas, the advertisements of cosmetics like Ponds cream and Dove conditioners attract the girls.
6) To include different language functions and structures:
Moreover, all the advertisements contain different language functions and different structures so, it helps teachers teach these things in a different ways and students get rid of monotony of learning grammar in a traditional ways.
Principles that I had in mind while preparing the tasks.
While producing materials, I followed the following principles given by Tomlinson. 1) Materials should achieve impact. Materials should have expected effects on learners that can be done by breaking up the monotony and by attracting their curiosity, interest and attention and novelty in tasks and appealing content can help in achieving the impact. 2) Materials should help learners to feel at ease. Learners can be made feel at ease by providing enough space in the text, by providing them materials which help them learn a language and which does not test their knowledge, by bringing variation in voice, intonation and clarity. 3) Material should help learners develop confidence, by providing them activities which push them a bit beyond their existing knowledge and by providing the activities which are challenging but achievable. 4) What is being taught should be perceived by the learners as a relevant and useful. 5) Materials should require and facilitate learners self investment by engaging them in learner centered activities. 6) Learners must be ready to acquire the points being taught and it can be done by presenting activities or tasks which are different enough to encourage them. 7) Materials at all levels should provide frequent exposure to authentic input which is rich and varied which provide the learners an opportunity to learn and practice the language of actual world. 8) The learners ‘s attention should be drawn to linguistic features of the input and that can be done by making learners pay attention to some linguistic features subconsciously.
9) Materials should provide the learners with opportunities to use the target language to achieve communicative purposes. materials should not teach only grammatical structures but it should teach language functions and its meaning in different context. 10) Material should take in to account that learners differ in learning styles. 11) Material should maximize learning potential by encouraging intellectual,asthetic and emotional involvement. 12) Materials should not rely too much on controlled practice. 13) Materials should provide opportunities for outcome feedback which is focused first on the effectiveness of the outcome rather than just on the accuracy of the output.
What are the tasks capable of achieving.
While preparing materials, I had in my mind certain objectives and on the basis of these objectives, I prepared tasks which are capable of achieving following things.
Enable them to use the language of real world:
Tasks are capable of making the learners familiar with the language of real world which will enable them to use the language, when they confront with different situations in different domains. For example: vocabulary tasks, in all the worksheets help the learners learn the registers / terms or jargons or adjectives of different domains like travelling, technology, eatables, cosmetics, tourism, automobile etc.
Enhance their analytical skill:
Tasks are capable of enhancing the learners’s analytical and thinking skill. E.g. pre tasks in all the worksheet lead them to think about different themes and in some of the tasks, they are likely to compare the things and in some of the tasks they are asked to share their own opinions. Thus, it improves their critical and analytical skills.
Give them opportunities to practice different language functions and structures:
Tasks are capable of teaching learners different structures or sentence patterns and different language functions. e.g. grammar tasks contain different structures like conditional clause, connectors, prepositions, present participle, phrasal verbs, relative pronoun, progressive tense etc and these grammar tasks are not prepared in a conventional ways but they are prepared in such a way that learners come to know about their use and not their usage.
Enable learners to improve their writing skill.
For example: Writing tasks make learners aware of discourse markers, cohesive devices. Moreover, jumbled tasks teach the learners coherence. They are also given practice of free writing where they are asked to write on particular topics by relating them to their own experiences. They are also given the word limit which enables them to summarize the things.
The problems that I faced and how I overcame them.
While selecting T.V commercials, it was difficult to get commercials which include all the things like comprehensibility, culture. Sometimes, if the commercials were interesting, the language was above the level of the learners. Finally, I selected those advertisements which were appropriate to the Indian context, sustain learners’s interest. It was difficult to bring variation and avoid repetitions in selecting the grammatical items to prepare grammar tasks. However, I tried to bring variation in all the grammatical items by selecting sentences which contain different structures. I had to be very careful while transcribing advertisements which were audio video because; wrong transcription may lead the learners towards confusion and misinterpretation. However, I overcame this problem by listening to them carefully.
I enjoy the task of preparing worksheets based on authentic materials and these tasks will help me a lot when I am in actual professional life .Moreover ,through this task, I came to know about which are the principles to be kept in mind and which are the challenges that we have to face while producing worksheets based on authentic materials.
(1) Tomlinson, Brian.1998.Materials Development in Language Teaching.Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. (2) McCarthy, Michael &Felicity O’Dell.2001.English Vocabulary in Use. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. (3) You tube.com (accessed on 11/10/009). . (4) Murphy,Raymond.1985. English Grammar in Use. Cambridge: Cambridge university press.
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue reading from where you left off, or restart the preview.