You are on page 1of 1

Gemma nostra candeat, obscurata nunquam,

Atque sertus conserat, caritatis unquam.

o
o

Manufactured by the John C. Newman company out of new work


The 1880 convention substituted the Newman Badge for one manufactured by
P.L. Miles of Cleveland

CHORUS
Salve! BetaThetaPi,tureginapura;
Cara tu meo cordi, cara, cara, cura.
Stella quisquay scintillet,
Sunt omnes aequales,
Nunc adsint si quillibet,
Internos sodales.
o
CHORUS
Inter fratres veritas,
Honor amicitia,
Fides, virtus jus et fas,
Omnes sint notitia.
CHORUS

Again, the Beta is distinguishable and distinguished from all other kinds of fraternity men whatsoever by
just a little warmer and stronger, just a little tenderer and more enduring fraternity feeling than any of
them can attain to. For it was always so.
I do not in the least know how it happened, nor why it persisted after it happened, but a long time ago
there came into Beta Theta Pi a fraternity spirit that was, and is, and apparently will continue to be,
unique. We know it, who are inside and they see and record it who are outside the Beta Pale.

Enter George Chandler


o
Convention of 1899 made considerable headway toward a uniform badge
when it adopted a standard badge manufactured by Roehm and Son of
Detroit under the direction of George M. Chandler
o
Mr. Chandler led a committee to oversee the design of the standard badge
which was adopted in 1909
o
Since 1913 all badges have been manufactured by Burr, Patterson & Auld
a division of Herff Jones

Whether young or old, in college or out, from the small school or the great university, we are conscious
of a heritage of genuine fraternalism that has not been vouchsafed in like measure -I say it deliberatelyto any other of the great college fraternities.
And we cannot doubt that in this, as in other respects, our future will copy fair our past and that in the
world of fifty years from now, as in that of years ago -as in that that lies around us today- the first mark
of a beta will be his beta spirit.
--Willis O Robb, Ohio Wesleyan 1879

Bells:
The Peal of the Bells in this Tower was dedicated to the service of Miami University by Beta Theta Pi
one hundred years after its foundation here on August 8, 1839
This tower was presented to Miami University by Beta Theta Pi the first college fraternity to be founded
west of the Allegheny Mountains
Beta Campanile

Stands as a monument to the achievement of Beta in the first century

Visitors of the Beta Administrative Office north of Oxford can view it through a
telescope which is trained on the bell tower which peeks above the Elms a half-mile away

Given as a gift to Miami University from Beta Theta Pi

Bronze plaques affixed to the Beta Campanile attest to Betas founding and the
dedication of the bells
Badges

The Marshall Badge


o
Designed by Sammuel Taylor Marshall
o
Adopted in 1839
o
8 sided, gold
o
At the four corners were concave quarter circles and bearing three stars, a crescent

The Paddack Badge


o
Marshall Badge changed in 1841 at the suggestion of Alexander Paddack
o
Surface was black enamel, replacing the crescent was a wreath in the shape of
diamond
o
Included was: engraved clasped hands, owners names and founding date of
chapter, owners chapter greek letters
o
Years later date of initiation replaced chapter founding date

Kirby Badge
o
Four straight edges on previous badges were curved inward to made all 8 sides
concave.
o
Known as the Kirby badge because it was manufactured by Kirby in New Haven,
CT
o
Authorized exclusively for chapter presidents today

o
Newman Badge
o
Frist attempt at a standard badge made by the convention of 1878

o
Wearing the Badge

The standard badge of the Fraternity is to be worn over the heart and in a manner
befitting the honor and dignity to which the badge is entitled. The use of the badge as a
ring, as a decoration or as a graphic element on printed matter or T-shirts or in any other
manner, other than as the official badge of Beta Theta Pi, is specifically prohibited.

A member may, however, permit his mother, wife, daughter, sister or fiance to wear the
standard badge or the miniature Mothers Badge.
Origin of Fraternities

Phi Beta Kappa


o
Founded on Dec. 5 1776 at the Apollo Room of Raleigh Tavern in
Williamsburg, VA when five members stayed late
o
Evolved into an honor society by the end of the first half-century of its
existence

Union CollegeSchenectady, New York (Union Triad)


o
Kappa Alpha Society (1825)oldest non scholastic fraternity still in
existence
o
Sigma Phi (1827)
o
Delta Phi (1827)

Union CollegeSchenectady, New York (Mother of Fraternities)


o
Three more founded between 1833-1847
o
Psi Upsilon
o
Chi Psi
o
Theta Delta Chi

Miami University, Oxford OH (Cradle of Fraternities)


o
Beta Theta Pi (1839)first fraternity west of Allegheny Mountains
o
Phi Delta Theta (1848)
o
Sigma Chi (1855)
o
Phi Kappa Tau
Grimke Swan

1843 letter written by Peter Knox

Marshall mentions a student known as Grimke Swan (George A. Swan) who threatens to
expose the society if he is not initiated

Linton, Hardin, Marshall, and Knox agree to do a mock initiation of George Swan

No constitution, no meetings, no more members

Died in 1840
Wooglin-on-Chautauqua

On its way to 1883 Convention at Saratoga Springs, NY, at the urging of Charles J.
Seaman, Denison, 1871 a party of people met at Chautauqua Lake in western New York

Agreed to develop summer resort and club house

Not official

1884, 1887-1893 Conventions were held there

Abandoned after 1893 depression

Destroyed by fire in 1901 by lightening

1892 Convention created the Execuitve Committee which was in conflicting interests
with the Board of Directors which had been created in 1879

1897 Convention revised Constitution and created the leadership of the fraternity that is
still in place today

Constitution committee
o
William A. Hamilton, Northwestern, 1879
o
Wyllys C. Ransom, Michigan, 1848
o
General Secretary J. Calvin Hanna, Wooster, 1881
!
Most important Beta of 19th century with the exception of
the founders