You are on page 1of 2

Use to cast the line into a body of water.

Your position doesn't matter: You can be in the


water, sitting in a boat, or standing on adjacent land.
The bobber must be watched closely. Small splashes can be seen around the bobber.
When a fish is getting ready to bite, a small trail will head towards the bobber (unseen if
Particles are set to Minimal). When it dips below the surface, immediately right-click
again to reel in the line. The window for reeling in when a fish bites is about half a
second. If a bite is missed, the line can be left in the water to wait for another bite.
A successful reel-in causes a fish or other item to fly through the air towards the player.
Normally, it will fly directly to you, but if there are blocks in the way, it may bounce off
at an angle.
A successful reel-in also produces an experience orb worth 16 experience points at the
location of the player doing the fishing.

Fish can be caught just as readily in small, shallow, and/or player-created pools.
The line will disappear if the player wanders more than 32 blocks away from the bobber, or if the
player stops holding a fishing rod.
The fishing rod will take 1 point of damage when catching an item, 2 points when reeling in the
hook when it is on the ground, and 3 points when reeling in the hook when it is hooked into an
entity. Reeling in from water without catching anything or causing the hook to disappear by
moving away or switching to a different item will not damage the rod.

Catching fish
The current algorithm:

Using a regular fishing rod, a random integer from 100 to 900 is selected. The game then
counts down each tick to 0 at which time the fish's water particles appear. At 20 ticks per
second, this amounts to a random wait time between 545 seconds.
o Using the lure enchantment on a fishing rod decreases the random integer picked
by 100 per level (thus, a wait-time reduction of 5 seconds per level).
o The countdown tick itself is affected by various conditions:
If the bobber is not directly exposed to sun or moonlight[1], the tick has a
50% chance of not decrementing the count, so the wait time is doubled.
If the bobber's block is being rained on[2], each tick has a 25% chance of
counting down 2 instead of 1, so the wait time will be cut by about 20%.
o Upon reeling in you may receive a raw fish, salmon, pufferfish, clownfish, junk,
or treasure.

The older algorithm (up through 1.6.4):

Each tick has a 1/500 chance of catching a fish, unless it's raining, in which case it's a
1/300 chance instead. Rain reduces the average time between catches from 346 ticks to
207 ticks, a 40% decrease.

Junk and treasures

A newly obtained Fishing Rod with the enchantments Lure II, Unbreaking III and Luck of the
Sea II.
The player can occasionally catch treasure or junk instead of fish. An unenchanted fishing rod
has an 85% chance of catching fish, a 10% chance of junk, and a 5% chance of treasure. Each
level of the Luck of the Sea enchantment decreases the chance of junk by 2.5%, and increases
the chance of treasure by 1%. Each level of the Lure enchantment decreases the chance of both
junk and treasure by 1%. The best rod (by chance only) for treasure has Luck of the Sea III, the
best rod for catching fish has both Luck of the Sea III and Lure III, and the best rod for junk is
unenchanted.
When incorporating the speed bonus from the Lure enchantment, the combination that yields the
highest fish or treasure per second is Luck of the Sea III and Lure III. Lure III becomes the
optimum choice for junk-per-second. This is a bit counter-intuitive, but the speed bonus from
Lure overcomes the chance decrease that comes with it.