You are on page 1of 5

Once upon a time in west Java, Indonesia lived a wise king who had a

beautiful daughter. Her name was Dayang Sumbi. She liked weaving
very much. Once she was weaving a cloth when one of her tool fell to
the ground. She was very tired at the time so she was too lazy to take
it. Then she just shouted outloud.
Suddenly a male dog, its name was Tumang, came. He brought her
the falling tool. Dayang Sumbi was very surprised. She regretted her
words but she could not deny it. So she had to marry Tumang and
leave her father. Then they lived in a small village. Several months
later they had a son. His name was Sangkuriang. He was a
handsome and healthy boy.
Sangkuriang liked hunting very much. He often went hunting to the
wood using his arrow. When he went hunting Tumang always with
him. In the past there were many deer in Java so Sangkuriang often
hunted for deer.
One day Dayang Sumbi wanted to have deers heart so she asked
Sangkuriang to hunt for a deer. Then Sangkuriang went to the wood
with his arrow and his faithful dog Tumang. But after several days in
the wood Sangkuriang could not find any deer. They were all
disappeared. Sangkuriang was exhausted and desperate. He did not
want to disappoint her mother so he killed Tumang. He did not know
that Tumang was his father. At home he gave Tumangs heart to her
But Dayang Sumbi knew that it was Tumangs heart. She was so
angry that she could not control her emotion. She hit Sangkuriang at
his head. Sangkuriang was wounded. There was a scar in his head.
She also repelled her son. Sangkuriang left her mother in sadness.
Many years passed and Sangkuriang became a strong young man. He
wandered everywhere.
One day he arrived at his own village but he
did not realized it. There he met Dayang Sumbi. At the time Dayang
Sumbi was given an eternal beauty by God so she stayed young
forever. Both of them did not know each other. So they fell in love
and then they decided to marry..

Me and Hubby dear went camping last weekend. And boy what an adventure it was. This
was our first time and I still cant believe we did it coz the planning, reservation and
gathering the camping equipments all happened in just 4 days. The actual plan was to go
on the weekend of 25th July with a bigger group but 2 friends (another husband and wife)
were not able to make it so just the 4 of us decided to do it last weekend itself.
The adventure began with searching for a camp site to reserve and we were in for a big
disappointment when we found none that we wanted to go to were available. After
contemplating between reserving a KOA campground that was available in the middle of
nowhere and state managed campground in a park unheard of and gazillion phone calls
(between us and the friends) later we finally reserved a site in a State Park around 1.5 hrs
from home. Then started the frantic shopping spree for collecting all camping
equipments. We were shopping till the day of camping and in fact some items we picked
We decided to make a quick stop for lunch since we would be reaching the campsite way
past our lunch time. But little did we know that the quick was about to become long. I
forgot my cell phone in the restaurant and we realized this when we were already on a
bridge where the next exit was after 8 miles I was even okay to leave it there and pick
it up on our way back the next day but the guy who found my phone wasnt too pleased
about it so we had to head back to get it. We had to travel that bridge for the third time in
one hour and I was so sick of it that I swore never to take that route ever.
Later the GPS we were using screwed us even more. Somewhere between his Keep
Rights and Keep lefts we missed an exit and the Route Recalculation landed us in a
Obviously we were late. Much late than the 2 PM check in time. And the worst part was
the site was at a 5-8 min walking distance from the parking lot. Now that doesnt sound
far right? But add to that the 30 lb tent, 20 lb cooler box, 4 camping chairs, our luggage
and other camping equipment we were carrying, along with the scorching heat of the sun
who was busy tanning every exposed bit of my skin that he could lay his evil eyes on.
We laid all our stuff on the table and started setting up the tent. Almost everyone else on
the nearby sites were already camping there since Friday. The campers next to us had
about 5-6 kids of age between 3-4 with them and i thought they were quiet intrigued
looking at us shouting u hold this and u hold that and come this side will u now
and hey something is not right here. We were all elated once we managed to get the tent
Once the tent was up we made some coffee on the propane stove that we were carrying
and sat back relaxing as the day cooled off into evening. The camp site had coin operated
showers and I was so glad we carried a pouch of 25 cents coins in our car. By the time we
showered and were feeling fresh again, it was time for dinner since it had started to get
After dinner it was campfire time. The park had provided fire rings for each campsite and
wood was available for purchase. We lit the fire and sat around it talking and taking
pictures. Everything was going very well till we heard someone walking behind our tent.
The people who were camped next to us used the pathway in the front of our tent to go to
the restrooms etc and we felt suspicious about who could be walking there in the dark.
Moreover there was a small hill/slope behind our tent. So we flashed lights in the
direction of the sound and found a raccoon who had walked up close enough that it

scared the shit out of us. Though we were aware of the raccoons found in this park and
well educated by the park ranger on how to protect your food from them at night, we
didnt actually think we would come face to face with one. Moreover none of us had seen
this animal before in the wild and were least aware of its capabilities other than stealing
our food at night. After all its an animal who knows what it might do. But flashing the
lights in its face was enough to scare him away. We quickly wrapped up everything and
took our stuff inside our tent. Kept all our food in the lockers provided and placed the
cooler under the table and kept 6-7 heavy stones on it as instructed by the ranger. Then
we quickly made turns to the restroom, in pairs off course, still shuddering by the thought
that we could have been attacked by that raccoon had we not seen him in time. Inside the
tent we played a board game brought by our friends, dont remember its name, but it is
similar to monopoly. In between I was still getting up to check if the raccoon had come
back for our food. Wanted to get a picture of him in action. Later we thought that we
should have deliberately left some food on the table so that we could get a better shot of
the raccoon that almost attacked us safely from within our tent.

Related Interests