You are on page 1of 4

Philippines: Muslim rebel group condemns Paris

attacks

by Edwin Espejo -17th November 2015

THE largest Moro rebel group in the Philippines has condemned the weekend attacks
in Paris, describing the carnage as unacceptable.
We are deeply saddened by todays tragic events in Paris, France. These blind,
indiscriminate acts of violence deserve nothing but condemnation, the Moro Islamic
Liberation Front (MILF) said over the weekend.
At least 132 people were killed and more than 350 were when gunmen simultaneously
attack six locations, including a concert hall, in Paris on Friday evening, November 13.
The attacks were reportedly carried out by members of the Islamic State of Iraq and
Syria (ISIS).

This is unacceptable. The MILF rejects such acts of terror against humanity and all
peace-loving peoples, the rebel group added.
The MILF entered into a peace agreement with the Philippine government (GPH) in
March last year after 17 years of peace negotiations and ending more than four
decades of violence in several southern provinces of Mindanao.
The MILF was once accused by the Philippine military of providing havens for radical
Muslim organizations with links to Al-Qaeda and local extremist groups such as Abu
Sayyaf.
In January this year, a battalion of police Scout Rangers launched a massive operation
that led to the death of suspected Malaysian Jemaah Islamiya (JI) leader Zulkifli bin
Hir aka Marwan.
The operation, however, led to the death of 44 Scout Rangers and several other police
investigators including at least 18 MILF members who attacked a blocking police force
after believing they were under siege.
The incident has derailed the full implementation of the peace agreement.
One of the targets of the police managed to escape but was also later slain.
He was identified as Abdul Basit Usman, a former MILF special operations group
operative who is said to have established the Ansar al-Kalifah (supporters of the
caliphate) in the Philippines after joining and later breaking away with the Abu Sayyaf.
Usman was born in Sahrif Aguak in Maguindanao town but became a long time
resident of Bentung Sulit in Polomolok, South Cotabato. He worked as an overseas
contract worker in Pakistan before joining the Islamic militants in Mindanao.
Usman was said to have first organized the Ansar-al-Kalifah in Sarangani where he
spent time with the MILF after escaping from police custody following his arrest in
2002 for his alleged role in the bloody Fitmart Department Store bombing in General
Santos City.

Scene outside Fitmart Department Store after a powerful bomb exploded


killing 15 and wounding 55 others in April 2002. The blast was reportedly a
handiwork of Abdul Basit Usman who was said to have organized the Ansar
al-Kalifah (supporters of the caliphate) in the Philippines. Pic: Edwin Espejo.
Fifteen people were killed and 55 others were wounded during the said bombing
attack.
The MILF has disowned Usman who was reportedly killed during a chance encounter
with the Moro rebel group in Guindulngan, Maguindanao.
Usman carried with him a US$1 million reward for his capture dead or alive.
In its website www.luwaran.com, the MILF said the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria
(ISIS) has been denounced by Muslim scholars as non-Islamic.
ISIS claimed responsibility for the Paris attacks on Sunday.
The MILF added that its thoughts are with the victims and their families. May we all
find our way through these troubled times and emerge with a stronger resolve to
pursue peace for all peoples in all parts of the world.
We take this opportunity also to condemn in same strong terms the violence against
civilians in Palestine, in Myanmar [Burma], and elsewhere in the world.

Posted by Thavam

You might also like