SSW JSC(09)4th Draft Minutes 09/46 – 09/58

Stagecoach South Western Trains Limited
DRAFT Minutes of a meeting of Joint Safety Committee held on Wednesday 16 December 2009 at Friars Bridge Court present: Andy Pitt Jan Chaudhry Ian Johnston Andrew Welsby Brian Cook Keith Usher Barbara Davenport Martin Dye Neil Wood Alan Martin Peter Gale Rickey Goodman Bill Read Simon Brown Mick Pollek Iain Anderson John Walsh Andy Haddon Andrew Edwards Managing Director (chairman) Operations Director Customer Service Director Human Resources Director Head of Safety and Environment Acting Head of Operational Standards Head of Employee Wellbeing Company Council Representative (ASLE&F) Drivers Health and Safety Representative (ASLE&F) Health and Safety Representative, Island Line Regional Organiser (RMT) Company Council Representative (RMT) Drivers Health and Safety Representative (RMT) Health and Safety Representative (RMT) Regional Industrial Organiser, Unite the Union Divisional Secretary (TSSA) Health and Safety Representative (TSSA) Safety Standards and Emergency Planning Manager Legislation and Standards Manager (secretary)

Apologies for absence were received from: Christian Roth Engineering Director Graham Morris District Organiser (ASLE&F) Item JSC 09/46 The Chairman welcomed Committee members. The Committee noted the minutes of the last meeting, held on 24 September 2009 and approved them with a minor amendment to the actions tracking log. The Committee reviewed the items on the actions tracking log. Any actions carried forward have been recorded on the log, which is appended to these minutes. The Head of Safety and Environment gave a presentation to Committee members on South West Trains’ and Island Line’s safety performance for Periods 6, 7 and 8 2009/10. 48.01 Performance Indicators The Head of Safety and Environment reported on the end of year position against the KPI targets and outlined changes in targets and areas for focus in 2010. (continued…)
JSC2009(4th Meeting – 16 December 2009) - Page 1 of 4 -

JSC 09/47

JSC 09/48

SSW JSC(09)4th Draft Minutes 09/46 – 09/58

JSC 09/48

Safety Performance (continued) 48.02 SPADs The Committee noted that the good performance in 2009 compared with previous years. 48.03 Station overruns and TPWS activations approaching red signals The Committee noted that that the number of these incidents has increased, compared with last year. 48.04 Drugs and alcohol screening The Committee noted that there were three positive screenings for drugs or alcohol in Period 8.

JSC 09/49

The Committee noted that there were no significant issues affecting South West Trains or Island Line from recent issues of the CIRAS journal. The Company Council Representative (ASLE&F) repeated previous concerns regarding lack of availability of CIRAS reports at Waterloo. The Head of Safety and Environment confirmed that CIRAS have advised that there has been no change in distribution arrangements or the number of copies distributed to South West Trains. The Drivers Health and Safety Representative (ASLE&F) advised that the reports were available at Woking. The Head of Safety and Environment agreed to raise the issue of local distribution with the Driver Management team at Waterloo. ACTION (2009-19): Head of Safety & Environment

JSC 09/50

The Head of Safety and Environment advised Committee members that the 2010 - 2012 Safety and Environment Plan had been issued and was available on Switch-On. The Head of Safety and Environment agreed to send an electronic copy of the plan to Committee members when the minutes of the meeting are distributed. ACTION (2009-20): Head of Safety & Environment

JSC 09/51

The Head of Safety and Environment briefed the Committee on the proposal to reposition fire extinguishers on Class 444, 450 and 458 units as described in Paper A. The Head of Safety and Environment advised that the next stage in the proposal is for the Head of Operational Standards to set up a meeting with Company Council Representatives to discuss suitable locations to which the fire extinguishers should be repositioned. The Committee noted the proposal and endorsed the approach. The Health and Safety Representative (TSSA) suggested that we needed to provide some information to inform our passengers to communicate the change once we have decided on our approach.

JSC2009(4th Meeting – 16 December 2009)

- Page 2 of 4 -

SSW JSC(09)4th Draft Minutes 09/46 – 09/58

JSC 09/52

The Head of Safety and Environment tabled a letter from British Transport Police setting out their policy on breath testing drivers involved in incidents/accidents as set out in Paper B. BTP policy remains that there must be reasonable cause to suspect alcohol in the body or that a relevant worker may have caused an accident or dangerous incident by an act or omission for BTP to carry out a breath test. The Drivers Health and Safety Representative (ASLE&F) highlighted the concerns of drivers regarding breath testing when they have been involved in an incident outside their control. The Safety Standards and Emergency Planning Manager advised that the main issue is where the Civil Police are the responding organisation and that considerable work is ongoing to raise awareness of the Civil Police forces that we interface with about these requirements. The Safety Standards and Emergency Planning Manager also highlighted the role played by the responding Operations oncall manager in making sure that the Civil Police are aware of the protocol adopted by British Transport Police in these circumstances.

JSC 09/53

The Safety Standards and Emergency Planning Manager gave a presentation to the Committee giving an overview of emergency preparedness arrangements. The Committee thanked the Safety Standards and Emergency Planning Manager and then discussed some of the points raised by the presentation. The Health and Safety Representative, Island Line asked if the same arrangements applied for Island Line. The Safety Standards and Emergency Planning Manager advised that the same arrangements did apply for the Island Line and that consideration is being given to carrying out a desktop exercise relevant to Island Line trains.

JSC 09/54

The Regional Organiser (RMT) advised the Committee of concerns over staffing levels related to cleaning staff. The Human Resources Director advised that he has received a letter from RMT on this matter and has provided a formal response on behalf of the Company.

JSC 09/55

The Regional Organiser (RMT) raised the issue of the way in which individual managers are suggesting changes in the frequencies of Joint Health and Safety Walks. The Head of Safety and Environment advised the Committee that the existing Safety and Health Manual Procedure dates from 2001. Supporting guidance was developed in 2006; the Company position has not changed, but there is some inconsistency in how individual managers are applying the procedure. The Head of Safety and Environment agreed to set up a working group involving Trades Union nominees to go through the issues of contention and to review and update the procedure. ACTION (2009-21): Head of Safety & Environment The Health and Safety Representative (TSSA) asked that this review also consider the question of constituency areas, as there is some confusion over this at the moment.

JSC2009(4th Meeting – 16 December 2009)

- Page 3 of 4 -

SSW JSC(09)4th Draft Minutes 09/46 – 09/58

JSC 09/56

The Regional Organiser (RMT) raised the issue of safety of staff car parking. The Regional Organiser (RMT) advised that staff have raised a number of safety concerns regarding the proposal to relocate the staff car parking area at Woking. The Company Council Representative (ASLE&F) advised the Committee that he believed that there were local minutes where car parking arrangements at Woking had been changed, and various new arrangements "agreed." The Human Resources Director agreed to look at this documentation to check whether this whole issue has followed the correct path through the machinery. The Operations Director advised the Committee that car parking for staff was a privilege, not a contractual right, term or condition, and as such this was a consultation item, not a negotiation item. The Operations Director advised that the Company had consulted staff side in a constructive way, with various concessions and compromises made along the way. The Company Council Representative (ASLE&F) asked that the proposed implementation of the changes be postponed until the situation regarding the local arrangements had been checked. The Human Resources Director advised that as this is a consultation item, there is no reason to delay implementation. The Regional Organiser (RMT) asked that the current concession regarding the 14:00 weekday time limit be moved back to 12:00. The Operations Director advised that he was unable to agree to this request without discussion with other managers and as such, it is still our intention to implement the revised arrangements with the 14:00 weekday time limit, as set out in the local level meeting. The Chairman advised the Committee that most of the points raised on this issue were outside the remit of the Joint Safety Committee and that they needed to be resolved through the appropriate channels.

JSC 09/57

The Regional Organiser (RMT) raised an issue concerning lone working of revenue protection and gateline staff. The Customer Service Director advised that he will discuss the matter with the Regional Organiser (RMT).

JSC 09/58

The Legislation and Standards Manager advised Committee members of the dates of meetings scheduled for 2010. These are as follows: • Wednesday 10 March (13:00 – Beaulieu Room, FBC) • Wednesday 9 June (10:00 – Beaulieu Room, FBC) • Wednesday 22 September (10:00 – Beaulieu Room, FBC) • Wednesday 15 December (13:00 – Beaulieu Room, FBC). Please advise the Legislation and Standards Manager of any items for inclusion on the agenda for the March meeting by 5pm on Friday 26 February 2010, including any supporting papers.

JSC2009(4th Meeting – 16 December 2009)

- Page 4 of 4 -