You are on page 1of 2

CHEMICAL HAZARD BULLETIN NO.

0155
1000182969
BULK

HYDROGEN
SULFIDE GAS
"H2S"
Health
Fire
Reactivity
GAS:

227 G (0.5 LB)


BY -PRODUCT OF
SOUR CRUDE OIL

CYL

COLORLESS GAS: "ROTTEN-EGG" ODOR.

EXTREMELY TOXIC, EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE & HIGHLY


REACTIVE
MAY BE FATAL IF INHALED. MAY CAUSE DAMAGE TO:
LUNGS, RESPIRATORY TRACT, CENTRAL NERVOUS
3
SYSTEM, EYE, LENS OR CORNEA.
For Hydrogen Sulfide (TLV= 10pm, STEL = 15PPM) there is a notice of intended
change in TLV-1ppm and STEL-5ppm. Immediate Dangerous to Life and Health
IDLH - 100 ppm).
4

CAS:
UN:
GUIDE::
EAC:

7783-06-4
1053
117
2WE

EFFECTS OF OVER-EXPOSURE:

INHALATION:

EYE/ SKIN:

INGESTION:

Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S) is a colorless gas that smells like rotten eggs (from the
sulphur). Often referred to as "sewer gas," hydrogen sulfide is highly poisonous.
Usually, the poisoning caused by hydrogen sulfide is though inhalation and has
toxicity similar to cyanide. H2S is noticeable at concentrations of 0.13 to 30 ppm. At
50 ppm, dryness and irritation of the nose and throat occurs. Prolonged exposure
may cause a runny nose, cough, hoarseness, shortness of breath and pneumonia. A
temporary loss of smell at 100-150 ppm. At 200 to 250 ppm, H2S causes severe
irritation, headache, nausea, vomiting and dizziness. Prolonged exposure may cause
lung damage (build-up of fluid in the lungs). Exposures above 500 ppm rapidly cause
unconsciousness and death. Severe exposures, which do not result in death, may
cause long-term symptoms such as memory loss, paralysis of facial muscles or nerve
tissue damage.
Inflammation and irritation of the eyes can occur at very low concentrations
(sometimes < 10 ppm). Exposure over several hours or days may result in "sore
eyes" with symptoms of scratchiness, irritation, tearing and burning. Above 50 ppm,
there is intense tearing, blurring of vision and pain when looking at light. The victim
may see rings around bright lights. Most symptoms disappear when exposure
ceases. However, in serious cases the eye may be permanently damaged. Contact
with liquid H2S may freeze the eye and cause severe damage or blindness. Rarely,
the gas may irritate the skin. Contact with liquid H2S can cause frostbite (freezing of
the tissue).
Ingestion is unlikely. Hydrogen sulfide will irritate the mucous membranes causing a
burning feeling with excess salivation likely. Irritation of the gastrointestinal tract may
also occur.
WEAR RECOMMENDED PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT

Hydrogen sulfide is a flammable gas with 4% (LEL) and 44% (UEL) gas in air. The ignition temperature
is 260oC (500oF). H2S is heavier than air, accumulated in low spaces such as sumps, pipe trenches,
valve boxes and sewers and may travel a considerable distance to source of ignition and flash back.
Fire fighters must wear SCBA.
REACTIVITY:
May react violently or explosively with oxidizing agents. React with acids (e.g. nitric
acid), alkalis, metals (e.g. copper, lead) and metal oxides (e.g. nickel oxide). Form
explosive reactions with halogens.
EXTINGUISHING MEDIA: DRY POWDER, WATER SPRAY/FOG, FOAM, OR CO2
USAGE:
STORAGE/
TRANSPORT:

Source of Sulfur. H2S is a potential byproduct in all phases of sour crude and gas
operations. Never work alone when handling H2S.
Store in a well ventilated, cool, dry area, away from incompatible materials and
conditions. Keep tightly closed when not in use. Keep away from heat and flames.
For transportation, use DOT-IMO Class 2.1 hazardous warning labels (diamond):
FLAMMABLE GAS and DOT-IMO Class 2.3 hazardous warning labels (diamond):

HEALTH
HAZARDS

FIRE AND
REACTIVITY

HANDLING,
STORAGE &
DISPOSAL

SPILLS/
LEAKS:

DISPOSAL:

POISONOUS GAS.
Put on SCBA, Check the wind direction and leave the area immediately until the
severity of the release is determined. If necessary to enter an area contaminated with
H2S, follow precautions for confined space entry including use of a SCBA, adequate
communication, safety belts and lifelines.
For proper disposal methods and locations for the chemical or chemical
contaminated material, contact the Health & Environmental Compliance Division,
398-1256.

SAFETY
EQUIPMENT:

Provide ventilation to control exposure below the TLV. In such conditions safety
goggles (1000129810) or face shield (1000129345), neoprene (1000129418) or PVC
(1000129492) gloves, boots and coveralls (1000129231) must be worn when
handling this material. SCBA (1000127427) should be worn if conditions warrant
(H2S level is above 10 ppm). Maintain an eyewash fountain and emergency shower
(1000128433) where the material is being stored or used.
USE CONFINED SPACE ENTRY PROCEDURES IF APPLICABLE.

INHALATION:

Move affected person to fresh air. If breathing is difficult, administer oxygen. If


breathing stops, give cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). Keep person warm and
quite.
Flush eyes with large amount of water for at least 15 minutes. Lift eyelids
occasionally.
Wash skin thoroughly with soap and water. Remove contaminated clothing and
shoes promptly, and wash clothing before re-use.
DO NOT induce vomiting. Aspiration of material into the lungs can cause chemical
pneumonitis, which can be fatal. If conscious, drink one-two glasses of water to
dilute. Keep person warm and quiet.

EYE:
SKIN:
INGESTION:

GET MEDICAL AID IMMEDIATELY (CALL YASREF CLINIC AT 2444)


Hazard Ratings: 0=Insignificant, 1=Slight, 2=Moderate, 3=High, 4=Extreme

FIRST AID