thames discovery programme

Fulham Palace FHM07
The zone is approximately 450m long and 50m wide. The access to the site is via a set of stone stairs in Bishops Park; the stairs can be slippery but have handrails on either side. The gate to the stairs is often locked. The western extent of the zone is defined by a drainage apron while Putney Bridge forms the downstream boundary. The ground conditions on the site are very firm and generally the site is very safe.

archaeological and historical background
prehistoric The riverside site has yielded a wide variety of archaeological artefacts from the Neolithic period, the Bronze Age and the Iron Age. Residual worked flint and ceramics were recovered during excavations by the Fulham Archaeological Rescue Group in 1972-3. roman Evidence of Roman activity in the area was confirmed by the discovery on the Fulham foreshore st of a 1 -century (Gladius Hispanus) sword which is displayed in the British Museum. Further rd th excavations across the moat of Fulham Palace have revealed 3 - and 4 -century RomanoBritish pottery, coins and building material, while a Roman ditch has been excavated immediately north of the palace itself. It has also been suggested that the area of the palace was a possible site for a Roman settlement controlling the crossing point to Putney. early medieval From the Anglo-Saxon period (c.500-1100 AD) a small number of finds have been excavated probably indicating a small settlement within (pre-existing?) earthworks. Historical records show that in c.704 AD the Manor was purchased by Waldhere, Bishop of London to form part of his estates. During the winter of 879-880 AD a party of Vikings set up camp within the area. The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle records this occupation: ‘In this year a body of the pagans drew together and sat down in winter quarters at Fulham on the Thames’. later medieval th By the 12 century, the Bishop’s Manor house had been established within a double-ditched th moated enclosure. A courtyard house was constructed during the 13 century and there were further extensions to the Palace during the Tudor and Georgian periods. Finally, during the 19th century a Chapel was added. The Moat enclosing the palace, being approximately 10ft wide and up to 8ft deep, and almost one mile in length was one of the longest in England. The Moat was drained, filled-in and landscaped in 1921-24. post medieval th The gardens of the palace were from the 16 century one of the most important botanical gardens in London. Features included a Tudor walled garden with a vineyard created by Bishop Grindal and a series of ornate parterre gardens, as shown on Rocque’s map. Henry Compton, Bishop of London 1675-1713 introduced a collection of North American plants to the garden, including magnolia, tulip, walnut and maple trees. The Bishops of London used the palace as a summer residence and would have travelled from St. Paul’s Cathedral by episcopal barge or boat. They would have disembarked at the Bishop’s Steps (landing stage) at Bishops Park. It is possible that there was a boat house or inlet close to the Palace to house the barge and boats. Fulham Palace is a Grade I listed building standing within a Scheduled Ancient Monument.

A101 A102 A103 A104 A105 A106 A107 A108 A109 A110 A111 A112 A113

Mooring feature Timber Deposit Deposit Artefact scatter Timber Structure (unclassified) Coffer Dam Structure (unclassified) Deposit Drain Deposit Mooring feature

Chain. Tree root. Submerged forest? Modern building material within scour. Modern building material. Building material. Including Roman. Vertical, squared stake. 50x50mm Causeway? Four roundwood stakes, roughly aligned and one other boxed heart. Bishops' Palace Stair? Timber. For construction of river wall Two small posts (planks) about 1m apart. Peat/organic clay. Exposed at lowest tides. Apron. Concrete. Drain to Bishops Palace moat? Clay. Orange/red sandy clay Chain. Massive links probably modern.

Sign up to vote on this title
UsefulNot useful