thames discovery programme

Isleworth FHL04
The zone is approximately 500m long and 40m wide; it is bounded upstream by the Duke of Northumberland’s River and downstream by the natural riverbank in front of Syon House. There are stairs to the SE of All Saints Church. These are well maintained, with a handrail but can become slippery at times. The site can also be accessed via the slipway next to the London Apprentice PH. The ground conditions on the site are generally firm (gravels).

archaeological and historical background
prehistoric Antiquarians commented on the use of stakes driven into the foreshore by ‘ancient Britons’, while a Bronze Age gold ‘torc’ was found in 1467. Numerous prehistoric finds are recorded from the river in the vicinity; these include Mesolithic and Neolithic implements, a significant concentration of Bronze Age material, (possibly representing a trading centre or deliberate votive deposition), and of particular note, a group of Iron Age potin coins and a terret (harness fitting) found on the foreshore. Evidence for Iron Age field systems has also been recorded in the local area. roman Excavations on the foreshore downstream earlier this century revealed traces of Iron Age and Late Roman activity in the form of wattle structures associated with pottery. Many Roman coins have been recovered from the foreshore and it has been suggested that it could be the site of an early Roman Thames crossing. The main focus of settlement in the area seems to have been in nearby Brentford, although recent excavations have shown ribbon development continued along the London-Silchester road as far as the Syon House estate. early medieval th A settlement at Isleworth may have been recorded from the late 7 century and the place name is of Old English derivation (‘Gistel’s enclosure’). A fish trap dating to the mid Saxon period (AD650-900) has been recorded on the foreshore. This structure appears to be the remains of a ‘V’-shaped trap and its configuration suggests it was sited to exploit fish swimming upstream, such as salmon. ‘Gistelesworde’ is mentioned in the Domesday Book as having a manor house, a priest (and therefore a church), a fishing weir and two mills. later medieval To the west of the church lay the medieval manor house of the Earl of Cornwall (rebuilt c 1231); the manor later passed into the possession of Syon Abbey (founded 1415). The history of the village is tied up with that of the Abbey, which became one of the richest monasteries in the country. The core area of the old village, next to the river, was within the precincts of the monastery. The abbey was surrendered to Henry VIII in 1539 and it was used as a prison for Katherine Howard in 1541 - 2 before she was taken to the Tower of London. All Saints church as th th it survives today has a late 14 / early 15 century tower, and the church ferry may have operated th from at least the 16 century, together with a nearby horse ferry. post medieval In 1547, Syon Abbey was granted to the Lord Protector, the Duke of Somerset who built Syon House on the site. In 1552, the house passed to the Duke of Northumberland, the father in law of Lady Jane Grey, and it was from Syon House that she was taken by river to the Tower of London th th to reign as a nine days queen. During the 17 and 18 centuries, more large riverside estates were constructed at Isleworth, including that of the Duchess of Kendal, a mistress of George I. th The body of the church was rebuilt in 1705-6 and extended during the mid 19 century. It was gutted by fire in 1943 and subsequently rebuilt. Other riverside buildings of note include Ferry th House, dating from the 17 century, the London Apprentice PH (c1741) and the Pavilion Boathouse (1803).

A101 A102 A103 A104 A105 A106 A107 A108 A109 A110 A111 A112 A113 A114 A115 A116 A117 A118 A119 A120 A121 A122 A123 A124 A125

Access Access Riverfront defence Riverfront defence Riverfront defence Riverfront defence Riverfront defence Riverfront defence Riverfront defence Drain Structure (unclassified) Artefact scatter Fishtrap Fishtrap Degradation Furniture Deposit Vessel Structure (unclassified) Standing building Artefact scatter Vessel Structure (unclassified) Access Access

Slipway on site of earlier one which was at right angles to the river. Stair of brick with stone treads. Church Ferry. Sheet piling. Precast concrete blocks, with brick wall behind. Concrete Precast concrete blocks with brick wall behind. Stone. with large shaped cobble stones Concrete. Cuts A107 and A101. Riverfront defence. Brick. At least three phases. Outfall. Fishtrap? Timber structure. Row of stakes. Worked stone. Moulded stone and building rubble, extending along in front of Pavilion Timber structure Stakes forming triangular feature Timber structure Several substantial roundwood piles c. 0.15m diam. Part of fishtrap? Area of scour around A114. Railing. Handrail. Cast iron on A108. Clay nodules. Site of log boat find, marked on OS map. Mooring posts? Group of posts in mouth of Duke of Northumberland's River Syon House Pavilion Modern ritual deposit - Hindu Modern day Isleworth ferry Fishtrap? Causeway. Causeway or jetty.

Sign up to vote on this title
UsefulNot useful