You are on page 1of 6

BUS 1085

Essay on EQ and IQ

Date 2015/10/04

ARSHPREET SINGH
ID

A00127219

EMOTIONAL QUOTIENT (EQ) ; Emotional

Quotient (EQ) also

called emotional intelligence quotient , is a measurement of a person’s ability to
monitor his/her emotions, to cope with pressures and demands and to control
his/her thoughts and actions. The ability to access and affect situations and
relationships with other people also plays a role in emotional intelligence.

INTELLIGENCE QUOTIENT (IQ); Intelligence Quotient

(IQ) is

a measure of a person’s cognitive capacity relative to his or her peers. It is
computed by dividing the persons mental age as measured on a scale such as
Standard-Binet Scale by his/her chronological age and multiplying with 100.

EQ IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN IQ ;
In the business environment, EQ is more important. It help us leverage
our awareness of awareness of emotions for effectiveness in the workplace. IQ
mainly used to measure one’s cognitive capabilities, such as the capacity to
understand the new situations, and the ability to apply one’s knowledge in current
circumstances. Emotional Intelligence skills do not limit themselves to sympathy,
flexibility, stress management, truthfulness, genuineness, interpersonal skills but
extend far beyond these. When working with an organization , an employee with

higher EI than others can convince his/her colleague(s) about a certain argument by
appealing to their emotions rather than presenting facts and figures.
While hiring, corporate look at an individual’s EQ rather than IQ . Having a high
IQ will help a build interpersonal and intrapersonal skills unlike EQ which talks
about one’s character based on the way he/she collaborates and networks with
subordinates and works towards attaining company goals. The survey have also
surprisingly strong evidence that EQ trumps IQ. The statistics clearly shows that EI
is highly valued.
1. 34% of hiring managers are placing greater emphasis on emotional
intelligence when hiring and promoting employees.
2. 71% value EI in an employee more than IQ.
3. 59% of employees would not hire someone who has a high IQ but low EQ.
Those with high EI excelled at staying calm under pressure , resolving
conflict effectively, behaving with empathy and leading by example,
according to respondents.

EQ IS MORE IMPORTANT BECAUSE;
Businesses are essentially people. So, anything that impacts the effectiveness of
people’s mind also impact on the business they run or work for. In fact, it is
believed that a person’s emotional intelligence is more important than their IQ and

is a certainly better predictor of success, quality of relationships and overall
happiness .
An individual ‘s performance in life is determined by both his/her IQ AND EQ ,
there is evidence that IQ only accounts for a small % of that only around 10% to
25% of the equation. In fact, which leaves EQ responsible for an incredible 75% or
more of a person’s ability to succeed. For this reason many companies have started
giving applicants EQ tests before hiring them and some companies have instituted
EQ training programs in the workplace.
While those with high EQ scores may not have a great deal of technical or
academic knowledge, they have been shown to perform better in the workplace
than those with IQ scores, because they are more aware of themselves, better able
to regulate their actions, are better at owning responsibility , are motivated and
have empathy for others. By better understanding and managing our emotions , we
are better able to understand and relate to those with whom weare in relationships.
Understanding the needs, feelings and responses of those we care about leads to
stronger and more fulfilling relationships. Those with high EQ scores perform
better in the workplace, make better leaders , are more self confident , are
trustworthy and are just, more likeable than those with low scores. All of these
factors lead to an increase in productivity and sales across the broad and higher EQ

helps us to be stronger internal motivators, which can increase self confidence and
improve our ability to focus on a goal.
Therefore , each one of us must develop the mature emotional intelligence skills
required to better understand, empathize and negotiate with other people –
particularly as the economy has become more global. We can say that emotions
play a critical role in overall quality of our personal and professional lines, more
critical even than our actual measure of brain intelligence.

References

www. Forbes.com/EQ_IQ
www.wikipedia.com