You are on page 1of 284

Of tKe

PAPERS AND ITEMS OF LOCAL INTEREST

And

Containing Portraits of Past and Present' Officers.

^.2

NNEWS PRINT, 1906.

9 5

ILLUSTRATIONS

1SSISQUOI COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

HON. W. W. LYNCH, LL.D., J.S.C. FOUNDER AND HON. PRESIDENT.

HON. G. B. BAKER, K.C.

SKXATOK, HON. PRESIDENT.

HON. J. C McCORKILL, K.C.

M.I'. P., PROVINCIAL TREAS., HON. PRESIDENT.

LATE C. L. COTTON, M.D.C.M.

EX-M.P.P. FIRST I'KKSIDKNT.

LATE N. A. SMITH, M.D.C.M. FIRST SECRETARY.

J. P. NOYES, ESQ., K.C.

SECOND I'RKSIDKNT AND HON. J'RKSIDKNT.

CHAS. 0. JONES, ESQ.

THIRD PRESIDENT.

E. E. SPENCER, ESQ.

EX M. P.P., VICE-PRESIDENT.

CHAS. MOORE,

SKCRKTARY-TRKAsrRKR.

F. X. GIROUX, ESQ.

ADVOCATE, EX-COM. AND AUDITOR.

WM. MEAD PATTISON, ESQ.

DIRECTOR.

ECCLES' HILL MONUMENT

ORGANIZATION MEETING.

A meeting of gentlemen interest-

ed in the organization of an His-

torical Society for the County of

Missisquoi, was held in Bedford on Monday evening, the 26th of Oct-

ober, 1898.

On motion of Judge Lynch, Mr.

John Gough was appointed Chair-

man, and Dr. N. A. Smith, Secre-

tary, of the meeting.

Hon. Judge Lynch explained the working of the Brome and Shef-

ford Counties Societies, and the

attained by a sim-

ilar organization in Missisquoi.

After a full discussion of the mat-

ter it was decided to take action

carrying out

objects to be

for the

purpose of

the project.

It was

moved by E. Coslett,

and

seconded by E. W. Morgan,

Esq., that the following gentle-

men form

a committee for

the

purpose of organizing an Histor-

ical

Society

in

the

County of

Missisquoi, viz : Judge Lynch, E.

W.

Gough,

Morgan, J.

Z.

J. Mullin, John

Sand-

Cornell, F. C.

ers, E. Coslett

Smith. Carried.

and Dr.

N.

A.

Moved by Z. Cornell, seconded

by J. J. Mullin, that the commit-

tee

take measures for calling a

public

for

meeting at an early day, the purpose of completing

the permanent organization of the Society, and the transaction of

business

Carried.

connected

therewith.

N. A. SMITH, Secretary.

MISSISQUOI COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

Missisquoi Historical Society.

FOR MEETING TO OR-

ORGANIZE.

meeting of all interested in

the formation of an Historical So-

ciety for the County of Missisquoi

will be held in the TOWN HALL,

BEDFORD, on TUESDAY, the

28th day of FEBRUARY, 1899,

at one o'clock, p. in., for the pur-

pose of completing the organiza-

tion and transaction of any busi-

ness connected therewith.

All persons having in their pos-

session historical relics, are re-

A

same, and

any information relating to the

early history of Missisquoi will be

gladly received.

quested to bring

the

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE.

Hon. Judge Lynch, Z. E.

Cor-

nell, E. W. Morgan, J. J. Mullin,

F. C. Saunders, E. Coslett,

Gough, N. A. Smith, M. D.

John

PRELIMINARY MEETING.

In accordance with the notice

held at

the Town House, Bedford, on Tues- day, Feb. 28th, 1899, for the pur-

pose or organization. Hon. Judge

Lynch was elected Chairman and

Dr. N. A. Smith, Secretary.

Hon. Judge Lynch addressed the

setting forth the ob-

jects of the Society, and advocat-

ed the immediate organization of an Historical Society in the

meeting,

given,

a

meeting

was

County of

Missisquoi. He was

followed by Rev. Ernst M.

Tay-

lor of

the Brome County Soc-

iety who earnestly advocated the

movement and gave many inter-

esting

history of

country.

the

facts regarding the early

this

section

of

It was then moved by Rev. Mr.

Nye,

seconded by E. W. ilorgar.,

Esq., "that we now proceed to

organize an Historical Society in the County of Missisquoi." Car-

ried.

It was moved by F. C. Saund-

ers, seconded by Mr. Geo. Capsey, that the name of the Society be:

" The County of Missisquoi His-

torical Society," and that the of-

said Society be lo-

cated in

fice

of

the

the

Town of Bedford,

Province of Quebec. Carried.

It was moved by J. J. Mullin,

and seconded by Mr. Thomas Hun-

ter, that immediate steps be tak-

en for incorporating the Society,

the Statutes of the Pro-

under

vince of Quebec. Carried.

it was moved by E. W.

Mor-

gan, seconded

that the following list constitut-

by

H. C. Blinn,

es

the officers of this Society for

the coming year, viz:

Honorary Presidents, Hon. Geo.

B. Baker, ^Hon. J. C. McCorkill ;

President, Dr. C. L- Cotton,. M. L.

A.; Vice-presidents, W. M. Patti-

son, Mrs. Geo. Clayes, E. L. Wat-

son ; Secretary, Dr. N. A. Smith ;

Treasurer,

Directors for

Mrs. Theo.

Moore ;

Dunham, Geo. D.

MISSISQUOI COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

Baker, J. P.

Noyes, David West-

for

ness at the

said county. Bedford, 8th March, 1899.

town of Bedford

in

over, M. O. Hart ; Directors

Stanbridge, Henry Ross, Mrs. Fre-

ligh, Rev. H. W. Nye, E. W. Mor-

Directors for St. Armand

for

St.

Armand

Names.

Residence.

Venice.

Bedford.

Bedford,

Frelighsburg.

Bedford.

Bedford.

Bedford.

Bedford.

gan ;

Thos. Hunter

E. W. Morgan,

A. J. Stevens,

H. C. Blinn,

Fred C. Saunders, Mrs. G.

East, Thos. Shepard. E. E- Spen-

cer, Canon Davidson, A. H. Hold-

en ; Directors

West, Peter Smith. Loftus Smith,

Hiram Streit, Chas. Tittemore

Directors for Clarenceville and St.

Freligh,

; C. A. Rice, Mrs. C. A. Rice,

Henry W. Nye,

Geo. Capsey,

Chas. O. Jojies,

John Gough,

John J. Mullin,

Thomas, John Hawley, A. H. Der-

rick, Thos. Hunter, B. V. Naylor;

Directors for West Farnham, Dr.

J. B. Comeau, Dr. McCorkill, El- win Welch.

It was

decided

that applica-

N. A. Smith, M. p., Stanbridge

Theodora Moore, Stanbridge East.

Bedford.

Bedford.

Bedford.

Bedford.

Bedford.

tion

be

made

to

the

County

Council at its next meeting

for

permission to apply for incorpora-

tion.

The following declaration

was signed by a number of those

present :

I. N. Shepard,

I, the undersigned Secretary- Treasurer of the Municipal Coun- cil of said County of Missisauoi

hereby

session

Frelijrhsburg.

certify that at a regular

of

the said Council held

We, the undersigned residents of

the County of Missisquoi in the Province of Quebec, hereby declare

that we are desirous of forming ourselves into an association to be

known as the Missisquoi County

Historical Society under the pro-

visions of Article

5,487 and fol-

at

said Town of Bedford,

1 4th day of

June 1899, the

sent and authorization' of

this

con-

said

Council was granted to the forma-

tion

of

said Society. Bedford,

I3th June 1893.

GEO. CAPSEY.

Secretary Treasurer

lowing

articles of

the Revised

Statutes of

Quebec, the objects

being to o.btain all possible infor-

mation concerning the earlv and subsequent history of the county,

to preserve such historical facts as

mav be thus secured in some sub-

stantial and permanent form, to

acquire whatever property may be

necessary for the purposes of the

society and generally for the in- struction of the members of the

society and others. The society to

have its

office and place of busi-

Besides those already mention-

ed in

following

the

above requisition ihe

ladies

and gentlemen

signed the roll of membership:

Names,

Residence.

Win. Meade Pattison, Clarenceville

Hon. W. W. I/ynch,

Rev. E. M. Taylor,

S. J. Montgomery,

Mrs. Gilman,

F. Primmerman,

J. Primmerman,

C. S. Moore,

Nina Smith,

Z. E. Connell,

Mrs. W. A. Gibson,

Knowlton.

Knowlton.

Bedford.

Bedford.

St. Armand.

St. Armand.

Stanbridge.

Stanbridge.

Bedford.

Bedford.

MISSISOUOI COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

SECOND MEETING.

Bedford, 27th, May, 1899.

the Society was

held this day in accordance with

A meeting of

given by the Secre-

tary. Hon. J. C. McCorkill, Hon.

President, in the chair. The min-

utes

read and confirmed.

the

notice

of

the

last

meeting were

The

question of a Dominion

Day Picnic was

then fully

dis-

cussed and on motion

of

Col.

Rowe, seconded

by Mr.

F.

C.

Saunders it

was resolved " that

Hon. J. C. McCorkill, be request-

ed to communicate with the Hon.

Minister of Militia and ascertain

the veterans

if the medals from

of

1866-70 will be 'available for

distribution on the first of July,

next. Carried.

It was moved by Mr. L. Smith,

seconded by F. C. Saunders, that

in the event of a favorable reply

from the Minister of Militia, that

a picnic

be held

at

Eccles' Hill

on the

a

the Society be held

at Freleighsburg for the purpose of

first of

July, and that

meeting of

making arrangements for

the

same. Carried.

The meeting then adjourned sine

die.

N. A. SMITH, Secretary.

Missisquoi's Historians

(Star report.)

THE VALUE OF PRESERVING

RELICS OF THE OLDEN DAYS IN CANADA.

Stanbridge East, Oct. 2oth. Of

of the Eastern

all

the counties

Townships none is so rich in his-

torical associations as Missiscmoi,

and if the

Missisquoi Historical

Society, formed at Bedford

last

February should fall short of suc-

cess

of an insufficiency of material on

which to work.

it will

not

be

on account,

The

officers

of

the society,

however, do not seem disposed to

allow

it

to die for want

of

something to do,

and have

in-

to

stituted a series of meetings

be held throughout

the countv,

during the present autumn, and

coming winter, for the purpose of

interesting the people of the dif-

ferent

the

them

localities in the work

of

society, and of stimulating

to do their

share of histor-

ical investigation.

The initial meeting

was held

here on Wednesday night, and was

largely attended. Stanbridge East

the least attractive

is itself

not

spot in the county from the view-

point of the local historian and

antiquary. Many of the old

and

prominent families here are des-

cended from the first settlers who

a. century

came

in

a little over

ago by way of Lake Champlain

and from

and Missisquoi Bay, there spread eastward.

The

old

homesteads of many of their fa-

milies are

the

depositaries

of

precious old documents and com- missions from which the biogra-

phy of

many a man of promin-

ence

written, and

would also

value to the

in

days

gone by might be

some

be

of

of

which

incalculable

student of the

his-

tory of Canada as a whole.

the

county, and president of the soc-

Dr. Cotton,

M. L.

A., for

MISSISQUOI COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

iety,

the

in a

idea

short speech said that

of

a historical society

for the county was a

and the time chosen for its forma-

happy one,

tion was

happv also. It is

just a

little

more than a

century that

we

need to look back to the time

that the first settlers came to, Mis-

sisquoi.

Those

early

settlers

have long since departed, but the

connecting link between them and still remains. Their children

us

are

present

be

the

the

very old people

of

day. Nothing could

more interesting or instructive than to listen to tho,se old people

tell the stories of the early days

as they learned them from their

parents. Written history is usually

looked upon as being more accu-

rate than

tradition, but

the

speaker believed that in such cas-

es as he had mentioned, the tra-

often more reliable

ditions were

than much of the written history.

All information concerning espec-

ially the

the ear-

quarter of a cen-

first

tury after the advent

of

liest

by

settlers should be gathered

the

historical society, to be

made use

of

cal reference. The aim of

for

future histori-

the so-

ciety should be not

cumulate information, but to so

arrange it

referred to, otherwise it

is of lit-

tle real value for historical pur-

only

to

ac-

that it

can readily be

poses. The

history of Missisquoi

than any

other part of the Eastern Town-

have

ships. A number of things

occurred there that other coun-

ties have not had.

is

more

interesting

The first set-

tlers came in by way of Miss-

isquoi Bay. They were the people,

who, after the Revolutionary War

made

their

way north. Philips-

burg in this

one

was

or

county has

This

stood

place

two sieges.

first

attacked by Ameri-

can soldiers

change since

Take for instance, the wonderful

in

1812.

What a

those early days.

progress

would

in locomotion.

those

pioneers

What

have

thought of being connected with

Boston and New York, by only a

few hours travel.

The president concluded by urg-

ing the people to take an inter-

est in the

society, and to do all in

their power to bring out authen- ticated facts, connected with the

early history.

Mr. Wm. Mead Pattison, Collec-

tor

of

Customs at the port of

Clarenceville,, an antiquarian

provincial reputation, made

of

a

short

address. He

knowledge of this

said that his

section of the

country extended over a period of

more

than half a century.

He

drew the attention of the audience

fact that the names of the

forefathers of many of them may

to the

be found in the Archives of Can-

ada. He spoke of the persecution

of

the Loyalists and from what

quarter it came. At the close

of

War more

Revolutionary than thirty thousand Loyalists

the

fled

to

Canada. Most of them

went to Upper Canada. Among

those who came in by Missisquoi

Bay, and whose names appear on

the

list

of applicants for land,

may be found many names, well

known in this country. There were

the

Bakers, Bests,

Cal dwells,

Chandlers, Cowans, Dunns, Sam-

uel Gale, Luke Knowlton, Moores

Knights, Phillips, Porters, Robbs,

8 MISSIvSQUOI COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

Robb, Ruiters, Hogles, and Fisks.

The chief number on the

pro-

gramme was an address by Hon.

J. C. McCorkill, honorary presi-

dent

ject

of

of

the

society, on the

sub-

" Canadian Poets and

Poetry." Mr. McCorill referred

pleasantly to the fact that there

a controversy raging as to

was

whether those early applicants for

been

land whose

names had

brought to memory by Mr. Pat- were

tison,

really loyalists or

mere land grabbers.

One of the

names was that of an ancestor of

his, and he was inclined to classify

him as

a land grabber,

and

a

very successful one, for he had se-

cured possession of an extensive

tract along the Yamaska River,

in the Township of Farnham.

Continuing the

speaker

said

that these county historical soc-

ieties specially have in view

the

in

unearthing of

local facts, but

time their scope must be broader

than this and

apply

to the

whole history of

Canada. He pointed out the inti-

between the

must necessarily

mate

connection

study of Canadian literature and

especially Canadian poetry, and the study of Canadian history.

Mr. McCorkill then plunged into

his address proper, and for three-

quarters

large audience

as he passed in review one Cana- dian poet after another, giving

of

an

hour kept

the

deeply interested,

with

the skill of a trained elocu-

tionist extracts from their most

important works. He deplored the

neglect that Canadian writers re-

the hands of Canadian

a

readers.

ceive

at

Many

people soon as they learn

toss

book aside as

that

and

the author

is a Canadian,

refuse

to judge it upon

its

merits.

The address was an extremely

able and finished production, and at the close the speaker was

treated to exceedingly heartv ap-

plause.

Harris, in a pleasing

Rev. Mr.

speech moved a vote

of thanks,

to the

speakers. The motion, oi

course, carried unanimously, and

was replied to by Dr. Cotton and

Mr. McCorkill. The industrious secretary of the

an-

society, Dr.

nounced that the Stanbridge mem-

bers of the County Society would

meet fortnightly throughout the

winter for historical research into

matters more

particularly con- cerning this township. During the

evening the proceedings were pleas-

ingly enlivened by music by the

N.

A. Smith,

ladies,

brought

ing of the National Anthem.

a of old news-

copies papers, which made an attractive

exhibit. Among them were " The

Township Reformer, ' ' of 23rd May

1837, published at Stanbridge by

Elkanah Phelps, editor and F. G.

McDowell,

number

and

to a

the

meeting was

close by the sing-

Mr.

Pattison had on view

of

printer.

The

copy

was number 25 of the first volume.

Among the

count

7th

of

of the

a

contents was an ac-

meeting held on the

same month at St.

Ours, in the County of Richelieu,

by the disaffected people of that

list of resolutioins

part.

A long

were adopted. The first was mov-

by Dr. W. Nelson, and second-

ed

ed by Mr. J. B. Anger, and read follows: Resolved, that we

as

HON. JUDGE LYNCH, LL.D., Knowlton.

Hon. President Missisquoi Historical Society.

MISSISQUOI COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY,.

have seen with feelings of most

lively indignation the resolutions

proposed

House

of

for adoption

in

the

Commons on the 6th

March, resolutions, the necessary

effect of which will be to destroy

henceforward all security for free-

dom and good government with-

in this province."

Other papers shown were " The

Weekly

Gleaner," published at

4, 1848 ;

Philipsburg,

on April

" The

Canadian

Courant and

Montreal Advertiser, November 5,

1825 ; " Montreal Transcript and

Commercial Advertiser, ' ' March

" Spooner's Vermont

Journal," Windsor, Vt., January, 5, 1 80 1. This paper was then in

its eighteenth volume. There was

30,

1839 ;

United

Empire Loyalists.

THE PART THEY TOOK IN

SETTLING THE EAST-

ERN TOWNSHIPS.

(Star report.) Bedford, Que., Dec. 22.

A valu-

able contribution, not only to lo- cal but to general Canadian his-

tory, was

given by Mr. John

P.

Noyes, of Cowansville, before the Missisquoi Historical Society, at

a meeting held here a few evenings

ago.

paper

The

subject of Mr. Noyes'

was " The Canadian Loy-

alists," and the speaker dealt with

con-

it in a very exhaustive and

also " The Repetory," published

at

St.

Albans,

Vt., in 1827.

A

copy of The Washingtonian, pub- lished at Washington, D. C., June

29,

1812,

vol.

n,

No. 182, con-

contained the act passed by Cong-

ress declaring a

state of war

to

be existing between the United

Kingdom of Great Britain and

Ireland

and

the

dependencies

thereof and the United States of

America and their territories.

The

next general meeting of

the

society will likely be held at

Clarenceville. Meetings will likely

be

ible

held as

soon

as

it

is poss-

at

to arrange for speakers

Philipsburg,, Bedford, Farnham,

Dunham, Cowansville and Fre-

lighsburg.

vincing manner. It has heretofore

been generally supposed that the

first settlers of the Eastern Town-

ships were composed principally

of United Empire Loyalists, and

anyone who has had the audacity

to hint anything to the contrary,

has been unhesitatingly condemn-

ed as

misrepresentation.

Mr. Noyes showed that the peo-

ple who came into Canada from

of ignorance and

guilty

the

close

American colonies at the

of

the

war were of several

classes, only one of which was le-

gally entitled to be designated as

U. E. Loyalists. The Townships

were not surveyed until several

years

response

after the

war, and then, in

to applicants for land

grants by companies of men who

went by the

title, of Associat-

es, and who were made up, not

10 MISSISQUOI COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

of

people

from the American

colonies alone or chiefly, but also

and others. All hon-

of English

our

was

paid

to

those early

and hardy settlers who introduc-

ed civilization into this part

Canada.

of

ed

It was also, shown that a limit-

number of loyalists, whose

names were given, and whose de-

cendants are

to-day numerous,

settled on

the shores of the

Mis-

sisquoi Bay, upon the seigniories,

grants of which

had been made

years before to Frenchmen.

At the close

of the lecture, the

grandson of one Christian Wehr,

whose name appeared upon the

list,

a Mr.

Bockus,

of Bedford,

was brought forward and intro-

duced to the lecturer.

"Bockus"

is

a

corruption of the old Dutch

name " Boekhaus,"

and Dutch

names formed the greater part of

the list in question.

The

meeting was largely at-

tended, and was presided over by

Dr. Cotton, M. L- A., president of

the

pleasing

the

the

society,

value

who made a very

pointing out

work of

his-

address,

of

torical research, and the import-

ance

county making himself acquainted

with its early and later history,

also of contributing what-

and

ever

facts that have already been col-

oi

each

resident of the

he

was

able

to do to the

lected,

so

that some time

it

might be possible to write a tru-

ly authentic and reliable history.

Remarks

were also made by

Dr. N. A. Smith, secretary of the

society,

and

by

Messrs.

F. C.

Saunders, and E. W. Morgan, di-

rectors.

thanks was passed to the lecturer.

A very cordial vote

of

BEDFORD ANNUAL MEETING/

Bedford, June, 29,

1901.

A meeting of the Missisquoi Historical Society was held th</