You are on page 1of 13

The Provincial Capitol

Tuesday, June 3, 2014
http://www.visayandailystar.com/2014/June/03/starlife2.htm
BY MODESTO SA-ONOY
The original seat of the government of the Province of Occidental Negros was
the house donated by Jose Ruiz de Luzuriaga, who at the time, was one of
the three members of the Philippine Commission es tablished by the
Americans in 1901.
This house, which was demolished in 1962, was located at the corner of
Luzuriaga and Araneta streets in Bacolod City.
In 1926, Governor Jose Locsin decided to construct a Capitol worthy of the
growing wealth of the province after the introduction of centrifugal milling
boosted the local income never experienced before.
The Provincial Board appropriated P255,000 for this project and, on June 2,
1927, the Bureau of Public Works, that has the authority to approve all public
works in the country, authorized the construction.
The land that was chosen for the Capitol site, however, was owned by the
Gonzaga family and they refused to sell. The province was forced to file
expropriation proceedings against them.
Represented by the counsel, Manuel Fernandez Yanson, formerly a capitan
municipal of Bacolod, the heirs Jose Gonzaga and the Gonzaga children
(Gertrudes, Aurelia, Adela, Mamerta, Juan, Francisco and Villardo) finally
agreed to sell but refused to accept the expropriation price of P1,200 per
hectare. They asked for a higher price but the provincial government did not
want to pay a bit more because the expropriation proceeding was already in
the court. The Gonzagas relented.
With the approval of the BPW, construction began in 1927. However, work
was slow that the provincial government sued the contractor, Manuel
Concepcion, and ordered the confiscation of his bond.
Though work speeded up thereafter, the Capitol structure took form only in
1932 and finally completed on October 21, 1934. On January 11, 1935, the
Capitol was formally accepted by Governor Emilio Gaston.
From conception to completion, the Capitol of Occidental Negros spanned the
terms of Governors Locsin, Isaac Lacson and Gaston.
However, eight months after it was turned over to the provincial government,
the Court of First Instance ordered the governor to pay the other landowners,
who were not party to the expropriations case but whose lands were included
in the Capitol site. The government paid Magdalena, Carmen and Vicente
Gonzaga P1,552.40 plus six percent interest from April 20, 1933 when their
lands were occupied by the Capitol.
Although the Capitol followed the design of other capitols in the country, that
of Occidental Negros was larger, grander and more imposing because of the
wide open space in front that allows a panoramic view of the building.*

the Armed Forces of the Philippines created the Negros Island Command. the island was divided into two provinces. just two years after Negros was elevated into the status of a politico-military province. 1858. the Ministry of War went ahead and got a Royal Decree on February 12. recommended that the island be divided into two provinces due to difficulty in administration to so large an island. the present New People’s Army in Negros has also a unified island command. Even the claim that it would cost over P50 billion to create the Negros Island Region pales in comparison to the benefits. The second was that. Army reservists from the two provinces were inducted in the 71st Infantry Regiment that was sent to augment the forces in Luzon and finally fought in Bataan and suffered in the Death March. the Army reduced the number of its troops in the island to two brigades. The head of the team. He suggested that a military command be established in the north. As early as 1857. What they save will just be transferred to us.htm I have left out other moments in Negros history where History Notes the island and its people were united in a common WITH MODESTO endeavor. The original towns comprising this province were those from Escalante to Ayungon. 1859. So there is practically little lost. we had one army. or NICOM. . The recommendation was sent to Madrid on September 25. until the Diocese of Dumaguete was created in 1955. but this proposal came at the time when there was a power struggle between the Ministry of State and Overseas Territories and the Ministry of War.All for one – 2 Tuesday. by separating the two provinces from their respective regions means Iloilo and Cebu will have also savings because they will no longer include Negros in their budgets. Jose Manuel Aguirre. The government was then having difficulty with separate commands as rebels moved in and out of each province. Ironically. After NICOM broke the backbone of the insurgency. When the communist rebellion was at its peak. the Royal Audiencia conducted an inspection of the island from August 15 to September 25. establishing a separate military command with its seat in Escalante. in 1935. but in 1863. for a unified approach against the insurgency. Fortich. and the only native of this island to head its diocese. Despite the opposition of the Ministry of Overseas Territories. let’s get back to the reasons why. in 1890. Bishop Antonio Y. but they continue to operate in close coordination under one command. The shining star of the Diocese of Bacolod was from Oriental Negros. The military command became a new politico-military district in Escalante but it was still under the jurisdiction of Bacolod. The first is that the island was under one SAONOY diocese when it was created in 1932. the 71st Division with two regiments in Oriental Negros and three in Occidental Negros.com/2014/November/18/starlife.visayandailystar. Now. 2014 http://www. 1857. November 18. In fact. This suggests that taking Negros as a unified whole rather than its provinces treated as separate entities has its merits.

Eight years later. Valeriano Weyler. Madrid did not act on the proposal until 25 years later. Madrid issued a Royal Decree which took one step further. Remigio Molto. The new Intendant Governor of the Visayas. December 16. which was under Cebu. from Calatrava to Guilhungan in Sipalay. On December 21. In June 1888. the personnel in the occidental side. during the transfer. however. 2014 http://www. which was being administered by the Recollects. Weyler set the boundaries of the two provinces. despite their competence and zeal. the Recollect parish priests in the east coast sent a letter to the Governor General supporting Molto. Due to the distance to Bacolod. On October 25 of that year. Their reasons: difficulty of travel through the malaria-infested mountains. Sum-ag Tuesday. On January 4. They petitioned that the new government should be not just a district but a province for the oriental side. 1890. It created two autonomous provinces and their budgets to be included starting January of the following year. a new Governor General. be annexed to Negros. and Siquijor. Occidental and Oriental. Moreover. arrived and forthwith endorsed the plan to Madrid after coming to Negros to validate the claimed reasons for division. All towns from south of Tanjay were placed under this garrison but still linked to Bacolod. many suspects escaped into the mountains and joined the renegades. However. Dumaguete was declared its capital.htm .com/2014/December/16/starlife. it was extremely difficult to immediately verify their residence. 1889. they went further. could not visit them often and crimes in the area could be minimized if culprits were tried and punished immediately. which was the imaginary line from the house of a certain Alvarez on the road that joined Bais and Kabankalan in the Tipasi Pass in the barrio of Bagtic. instead of being sent to Bacolod. was detached and annexed to the new district.Calatrava and Sagay were included while other southern portions were absorbed by Jimalalaud. The priests also claimed that an estimated 40. The suspects had to wait for months before the guardia civil could escort them to Bacolod. Weyler issued a decree abolishing the Escalante district and created a military garrison in Tanjay. 1877. The Recollects also supported the division. considered the set-up as useless and proposed on August 13.000 people could not be taxed because these migrants said they were from Iloilo. It was to comprise the areas in the east coast. However. On September 2. the two provinces decided to merge their governance as one Cantonal Republic. The western side was to be reconstituted with Pulupandan as the new capital as it was more accessible to Iloilo. Siquijor Island. The migrants had settled in the area from San Carlos to Tanjay. 1864 that the Escalante district be abolished and instead a new politico-military district be created with Dumaguete as the capital. He saw that progressed had been made and he acted on his own authority. with Dumaguete as the capital. The official date of the creation of the two provinces. Molto failed to convince Madrid.visayandailystar. was set on January 1.

rather than a town with a civil government. It was thus served by the secular from Bacolod. found that Sum-ag already had a sizable population. Although there was a church in Sum-ag. One of the conditions for the creation or continuance of a parish was a convent. By this time.359. Severino stayed in the house of Crispino Gozun. Miguel left. there was no mention of Sum-ag as among the barrios or mission under them. 1859. Mariano Rodrigo de la Reina de los Angeles.This barangay of Bacolod by the bank of the river that carries its name was once filled with a shrub that the Malayan settlers called “Sumag”. Either they named the place or they chose the place for its abundant sumag plant. Julian Miguel arrived in February 1855 to assume the post of parish priest. The French and Old English called this plant “sumach”. over one thousand inhabitants. On May 18. it was of light materials but there was no convent. that is. so that Fr. Balbino Gonzaga. At this time. Fr. Padre Julian did not stay long. 1856. Batangueños and Bicolanos. Although the jurisdiction of Binalbagan and later Bago reached all the way to Talisay since the 18th century. . distinguishing it from the foreigner’s emphasis on the second syllable to our stress on the first syllable. it was more of a collection of a few houses with a headman. a new priest. Don Manuel Valdeviezo y Morquecho. When Fr. which refers to a plant with lance-like leaves and cone-shaped cluster of hairy. “summag”. the ordinary folk and the cabezas de barangay. The convent was communal effort of the principales. Garijo laid the foundation of a convent made of “tabigue pampango”. It was under the patronage of Our Lady of the Pilar. The hyphenated spelling insures that the name is pronounced correctly. so that on June 16. However. Sum-ag reverted to the status of dependency on Bacolod because there was no available parish priest. Roman Manuel Locsin. He was followed by Recollect Fr. who also had jurisdiction over Bacolod. took possession of Sumag as its parish priest. Severino Garijo. The settlers were mainly textile weavers and merchants so that the choice of the name can be traced to them. it was administered spiritually from Bago by Fr. who served from 1854 to1855 until Recollect Fr. Fr. Sum-ag was already a thriving community of 3. Prior to 1848.772 inhabitants with a large number of tribute payers – 2. was appointed interim parish priest. The name is of Arabic origin. A 31-year-old Recollect. The earliest record where the name of Sum-ag is mentioned is that in 1803 it was created as a town but with few inhabitants of Tagalogs. Its leaves as well as its wood are powdered and used for tanning and dyeing. It was a pueblo in name. He then raised the sitio of Sum-ag into a town and established it as a parish under the patronage of San Juan de Nepomuceno. red fruit. In 1849. Fr. History Notes WITH MODESTO SAONOY The place-name of Sum-ag thus tells us of its early settling by Malays that possibly were engaged in the craft or work of tanning and dyeing. indicating that the sumag dye was used in Europe for the leather and textile industries for centuries. the Alcalde Mayor of Negros. Fr. Juan Jesu. He left two years later for Valladolid. Bacolod was under the secular clergy.

The onslaught of sugar and imported textiles from England pushed the local textile and sinamay industries out of business and. Governor Leandro Locsin realized that several towns could not support their governments and recommended that they be downgraded into barrios. there was no resistance in Sum-ag and its parish priest. a status that remains to this day. However. also the industry from sumag powder disappeared and the town turned to agriculture of sugar and rice production. Act 716 of April 2. however. the Aglipayan and Protestant ministers were able to sway the people of Sum-ag to their faith. to their demise.visayandailystar.htm Princess of Negros History Notes WITH MODESTO SAONOY For the millennial generation.* Princess of Negros Tuesday. Fabo had to fight the town officials who confiscated Church properties. The Recollects served Sum-ag until the Revolution of 1898. Francisco Azcarate. then one of the officials of Negros Navigation I wrote the history of this shipping company in 1982 in connection with the 50th anniversary of its foundation.com/2014/October/28/starlife1. Fr. the central part of Occidental Negros. The manuscript was not published. Fr. Angel Fabo returned in the midst of anti-Catholicism. Garijo also began the construction of a church of strong materials of stone and galvanized iron roof. The wealthiest province of the Spanish times. I thought of writing about its beginnings because of recent interviews on the connection of Nenaco and its contribution to the development of Bacolod for . are among the most important factors in the growth and progress of Bacolod and for that matter. but the Negros Navigation Company Inc.When the government sold lands in response to the demand for sugar. Fr. October 28. Thus. 1906 consolidated the towns of Granada and Sumag into barrios of Bacolod. relinquished the spiritual administration of the parish to the secular in 1964. Without a pastor. 2014 http://www. When the forces of Juan Araneta passed by from Bago to Bacolod. and its vessel. the Princess of Negros. Recollect Fr. Negros had to bow to the new realities after the American occupation. my research on this company enriched my collection. Fr. finally. Joaquin Usubiaga constructed a small convent to replace the deteriorated one. in 1902. Juan Gonzaga and Roque Garbanzos bought 122 hectares each in Sum-ag and this became the nucleus of the thriving sugar and rice lands in the town. Negros Navigation is more alien than the Hobbits. Nevertheless. Succeeding parish priests continued the work till almost the end of the Spanish regime. Later. The profitable sugar exports ceased as the Spanish market closed to the Philippine sugar and the Americans refused to import. The Church prevailed and many returned to the faith of their fathers. Fr. the Recollect parish priest of Sum-ag since 1958. On request of Ray Ascalon. Francisco Echanojauregui was later arrested and detained in Bago. In 1901.

5 knots. The army was short of vessels to transport troops from Negros and Panay to reinforce Luzon. The following year. Another boat named “San Carlos. The ship. 550-gross ton steel passenger ship. Carlos Lopez. the United States Army commandeered the Princess of Negros for war service. Many of the wealthy families of Iloilo had sugar plantations in Negros and they had to take the hazardous and slow lorchas that also carried sugar from Negros for trans-shipment to Manila and abroad. When it arrived in Iloilo in October 1932. With foresight of the progress that Bacolod was showing. These names litter the pages of our history in terms of business and industry. Nicolas Lizares. The transfer of Nenaco to Bacolod boosted the pace of Bacolod’s progress as business concentrated in this new city. had no pier or wharf.” was also placed in operation. The Princess took shelter in Iloilo until President Manuel Quezon escaped from Corregidor in March 1942. Cesar Ledesma. The charter or agreement with NN was for the army to compensate NN its full book value of P360. The company purchased the semi-concrete Silay Wharf in Barrio Sum-ag as its base in Negros. We have no record of the exact date when several sugarcane planters from Iloilo and Negros met in July of 1932 who thought of the need for a convenient means of sea transport between the two provinces. He would lodge in . Vicente Lopez. The Princess. at the time. When World War II broke out. Manuel Hechanova. Antonio Lizares. carried troops until Manila was declared Open City and the Japanese blockaded all shipping from the Visayas and Mindanao. as the vessel was popularly called. it was christened “Princess of Negros” and sailed to Silay. not only for its wider space but also its closeness to the city. Hechanova was elected general manager.its role during World War II. The Banago Wharf was inaugurated in 1938 just when Bacolod became a city. Thus began the first twice daily trip between Negros and Iloilo. Januario Jison. The Princess was commissioned as Presidential Yacht and ferried the Presidential Party to Negros. It also purchased the dredger “Morocutuda” from Cesar Barrios and Company to deepen the wharf while the company awaited the delivery of a twin-screw. Some vessels that tried to reinforce the beleaguered Bataan and Corregidor were sunk. Nenaco applied for and got a foreshore lease in Banago where it constructed a concrete wharf. had a passenger capacity of 718 and a general speed of 15. Juan Ledesma. ordered earlier from Hong Kong and Whampoa Dock Company. The Princess docked at Banago on March 23 and the Presidential Party was secretly brought to Granada. Placido Mapa and Aurelio Montinola. At this speed the distance between Silay and Iloilo was traversed in just a little over two hours. another ship built at the Taikoo Docks in Hong Kong arrived and began the Iloilo-San Carlos-Iloilo trip.000. The founding members of the board of directors of the new corporation were: Julio Ledesma (chairman). Banago Wharf attracted other shipping companies to use its facilities. Nenaco is more popularly known as NN. Bacolod. These interviews indicate interest in the history of this company.

two Japanese planes in search of a downed Zero that plunged into Tañon Strait near Ayuquitan. The pilots must have radioed its two gunboats. just off the San Carlos port. Oriental Negros. Quezon left for Zamboanguita and then by PT boat to Mindanao and finally reached the United States where he established the Commonwealth in Exile in Washington. It has indeed come a long way. Princess of Negros and Princess of Panay. The instruction to the Captain of the Princess.000 as agreed. D. spotted the Princess docked in Refugio Island. Juan Panopio was to proceed to San Carlos to wait for President Quezon. as well as local and foreign visitors. On the weekend nearest to 19 October. On March 14. NN accepted the amount. who was in Mindanao on his way to Australia. NN resumed operation in 1947 with two PT boats since ship building was not yet restored. While the Princess of Panay sailed the Iloilo-Pulupandan route. The Japanese boarded it and found the belongings of the President and his party of top Commonwealth officials. also searching for the downed Zero. The new owners decommissioned the two Princesses and they receded into history. the biggest party in Bacalod is scheduled to take place. 1-20. the Masskara Festival has become a tool of escapism and a way to generate revenues for big business. the War Damage Commission told NN that the approved amount was only P120. C. He was drunk when the Japanese shelled the town and towed away his ship. . the Princess of Negros returned to its former run until Nenaco ceased to exist. The news of the discovery of the President’s presence in Negros alarmed General Douglas MacArthur.000 on a take it or leave it basis. two PC-type steel-hulled ships were purchased while the boats were sold. As NN was short of cash.* MASSKARA FESTIVAL The Masskara Festival through the years gives the people of Negros. and it is clear that the path turn away from the progressive goal. The gunboats fired at San Carlos and shots at the bow of the Princess. Originally designed to show the hardships of the people of Negros. In August 1947. Then they towed the Princess and it was never found again. the United States Army compensated NN for the loss of the Princess but instead of the P360. dining and street dancing.several places during his stay and conferences with local politicians and leaders of the sugar industry. The new vessels were converted into passenger cargo vessels. Bacalod is the capital city of the country's sugar-producing province of Bocalenos. They were named. beer drinking. Ramon Nolan discovered that Panopio was in San Carlos. He dispatched a message to Maao where Quezon was hosted by his friend Salvador Benedicto. After the war. Bacolod City is known for the popular Masskara Festival which takes place here Oct. a chance to drink and be merry for 20 days. Local and foreign visitors get a chance to enjoy 20 days of merry making. No reply. to leave immediately. 1942. The investigation on the Princess by Lt.

Every group is represented: civic associations.The term Masskara is created from two words: mass. disco king and queen competitions. From then on. gather to the town plaza. All these led to the holding of the first Masskara Festival in 1980. The festival also benefits Bacolod tourism not only because tourists flock the city during this time to join the merrymaking but also to buy the orchids and ornate handicrafts on sale. Santiago’s original proposal to hold annual parade using masks to capture the crisis in Negros. smiling and laughing in molded clay or papier-mâché. in spite of periodic economic downturns in the sugar industry. on 19 October. Masks are the order of the day at the Masskara parade. people are encouraged by the organizers. The symbol of the festival . for face. and cultural artist. as brightly-costumed men and women dance and strut in the streets. a painter. They join Bacoleños in the non-stop round of festivities. was changed by the local elite into street dancing and merry-making festival. who devoted show in his art works the many faces of Negrenses overwhelmed with various crises. people from all over the Visayas. mostly big business and hacenderos (big landlords). Negros Navigation’s luxury liner MS Don Juan crashed with a tanker. Their beaming faces are bedimpled. known as the Sugar Bowl of the Philippines and is part of Western Visayas in central Philippines. Even if you don't feel like dancing and singing. in 1979. Throughout the week. the masks reflected the people’s grief over the loss of their numerous loved ones when. schools. Originally and ironically. meaning crowd. Five years before. The people of Negros suffered from the excess of sugar in the world market caused by the Caribbean sugar crisis and the introduction of sugar substitute like the High Fructose Corn Syrup in the United States. The Masskara festival was first envisioned in 1980 to add color and jollity to the Bcolod City's celebration of its Charter Day anniversary. thus the double meaning for "mask" and "many faces". In this city. commercial establishments. to forget the economic hardships and depression which happen especially during tiempo muerto (dead season. It wascoined by Ely Santiago. there was a big drop in sugar production. Masskara . cartoonist. all vying for prizes in judging that will be held in theafternoon. They march out in excited crowd wearing their painted masks and elaborate costumes. or off sugar harvest-milling season).was adopted by the organizers to dramatize the Negrenses happy spirit. Bacolod is the capital city of Negros Occidental. coconutmilk drinking to name a few. HISTORY The festival instills among the people the culture of escapism and obscurantism. and the Spanish word cara. even private and government organizations. This rich imagery of masks was used by the hacenderos and local politicians to hide the suffering of the Negrenses. Some are also trying their luck and testing their skills in mask-making contests. A smiling mask. where they have to accept and forget their sufferings caused by the exploitation and oppression of the landlords.a smiling mask . which is the symbol of the fiesta was conceived by the organizers to show the happy spirit of the Negrenses despite experiencing bad times in the sugar industry. the pig catching and pole climbing competitions are musts.

devotion and loyalty to the church and to the successor of St. 2008. the former site of the old City Hall where the formal signing of the Spanish surrender to the local forces by Gen. Since then. The building stands proudly along the eastern part of the Circumferential Road. which has become one of Philippines best known tourist attraction. The New Government Center At present a sight to behold. 2006 completed on August 8.philippinecountry.Col.20. The total land area is 50. Constructed December 28.html PLACES OF INTERESTS Fountain of Justice In front of the Bacolod City Hall. Pope John Paul II Tower Located at the Bacolod Reclamation Area. Masskara Festival was intended as an encouragement to all to fight back and to keep smiling despite the sugar problems. The museum can accommodate 40 visitors at one time. and highlighted that hope still existed. Large groups are requested to call the Museum at least 48 hours before the visit. the city’s public plaza is brought alive into a huge beer garden.000 sq. meters. During this festival every October. thus earning its tag as the "City of Smile.com/philippine_festivals/masskara_festival. It houses the Pope’s memorabilia. A symbol and reminder of the people’s love. drawing thousands of people within and outside the country. and can be approached from all the four direction entrances to the city. Inaugurated on February 18. photographs. 1981. Aniceto Lacson tool place . Spanish governor of Negros. Isidro Castro. 2010 a 7-storey tower with the statue of Pope John Paul II. Dizon and Hermelinda V. Ramos. the smiling masks have become the city's symbol. There is also Masskara Street-dancing contests highlighting the whole festival. Museu Negrense de La Salle The only school-based museum in Bacolod City that was born out of a dream to preserve vital documents. signed in behalf of the Spanish forces on November 7. http://www. has been earning raves both from local and foreign tourists. rising from out of the open space of fresh greenery. catching the attention of passersby who sometimes call it THE WHITE HOUSE. 1898. The house which was built in 1950 was . Peter. Masskara Festival has also been judged the most beautiful and colorful festival among the various contingents from other countries. A reminder of the historic visit of the Pope to Bacolod City on Feb.Festival became one of the popular attractions in Negros. cultural articrafts and the history of Negros. Dizon-Ramos Museum Housed in the ancestral home of Raymundo L." This annual festival.

Entrance fee Php10 for students with IDs. and personal collections of the children. During and after the revolution of 1898.Php30 for adults. Contact Tel. The Park showcases the technologies of Alternative Indigenous Development Foundation. or when you are in search of renewable energy and organic farming systems. #(034) 434-8512. Large groups are requested to call the Museum at least 48 hours before the visit at Tel. (AIDFI). It is open Monday to Friday from 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM. Inc. from 10:00 A. “lakbay aral”. . San Sebastian Cathedral Built in 1876 upon the initiative of Fr. Open from Monday to Saturday. Is open Tuesday to Sunday from 10AM to 4PM. a Recollect friar. Located along Murcia Road. the museum is sometimes referred to as 'The Sugar Museum'. Palacio Episcopal Older than the San Sebastian Cathedral by approximately 50 years. Bells of San Sebastian The centennial bells of San Sebastian Cathedral were brought down from their places in the belfry and mounted at the right side of the churchyard in 1976. cultural artifacts and the history of Negros. It became a cathedral in 1933 is one of the century -old churches found in Negros Occidental. AID Foundation Techno Park An ideal place for a group field trip. No. Thus. photographs. artworks by famous artists. It showcases important historical events which made Negros as 'The Sugarbowl of the Philippines". Mansilingan. 433-4764. The Museum located at Lacson-Burgos Sts.converted into a museum in 2007. The museum can accommodate 40 visitors at one time. Group of more than 10 persons should make prior appointment through Tel. Julian Gonzaga but was eventually finish only in the 1890's.# (034) 446-3629 or Fax (034) 446-2330. Museum Negrense de La Salle The only school-based museum in Bacolod City that was born out of a dream to preserve vital documents. Open from Tuesday to Sunday. to 6:00 PM. 435-5998. the Bishop's Palace was built by Fr. Entrance fee is Php25 for Adults and Php20 for students and children. Negros Museum The Negros Museum is a unique historical and humanities museum in that in does not collect antiques but stories about the people of Negros Occidental. It has a learning center which can accommodate up to 80 pax. Mauricio Ferrero. / Tel. No. It houses the collection of pictorial reproduction. the Palacio served as refuge for the Spanish military and civic officials. and is equipped with visual and audio facilities. The center can also be rented for trainings and conferences. the 100th year anniversary of the Cathedral.

Jose Rizal and provides an oasis for many city commutes. Beethoven. It also features an altar sculpture "The Risen Christ" done by a national Artist.Bacolod Plaza Bandstand and Gazebo Right at the center of Bacolod Public Plaza. Solomon Saprid. Negros Forest Ecological Foundation & Biodiversity Center A breeding and rescue center for endangered and endemic animals found in Negros Island as well as other places in the Philippines Visayan spotted deer. Yulo's Park The park is the site of the ancestral home of the prominent Yulo family. Bach. and Wagner circle the sides of the roofing. Golf is one of the most popular sports attractions in Bacolod today as local golf course The Negros Occidental golf and Country Club. shades and colors. Negros Occidental High School Alumni Promenade Fronting the Negros Occidental High School along Araneta Street. Dr. with panoramic views of scenic Mounts Marapara and Patag. Rizal Centennial Park Fronting the Rizal Elementary School along Araneta Street. Inaugurated in December 30.a premier province of the south. Philippine Visayan . The promenade used to be a sidewalk renovated and beautified by the city to honor the school alumni who are now prominent civic and government leaders.000 pieces of shells of various sizes. students and professionals during early morning and late afternoons. The city's contribution to the Centennial Celebration. The Yulo's belong to a clan of politician's that helped shaped the status of Negros Occidental. Inc. Negros Occidental Golf and Country Club. Barangay sang Virgen Chapel The Sta. the park is the tribute of Bacolod to the national hero. Names of world-famous composers like Mozart. Clara Subdivision chapel features a unique mural mosaic measuring a 9 ft. x 21 ft. Inc. provides challenging 18-hole adventures for amateur and professional golfers. the bandstand was constructed in 1927 to complement the weekend cultural activities of the early Bacole�os. San Antonio Abad Church This crown-shaped church features stations of the cross done by Bacolod's top artists. attesting to the early Bacolodnon's familiarity with European culture. The Park used to be the center for social and recreational affairs in Bacolod at the turn of the century. . 1996. Luzon bleeding heart pigeon. of the lady of the Barangay Sang Virgen done on a collage of 95.

Recuerdos de Bacolod "Recuerdos" (souvenirs) is know for its collection of excavated items and heirlooms. this nursery has been put up in order to provide continuous supply of quality planting stocks for the reforestation and greening program of the city. These antique items were taken mostly from Bohol and Panay. The only one of its kind in the Province of Negros Occidental. the fort serves as the Provincial Jail. The Fort served as the jail for prisoners during the Spanish era. Tel. the governadorcillo at the time and with the cooperation of Recollect Friar. a hardening shed and a potting area for rooted cuttings to pots. ladies/children's garments. Its unique feature is the replica of the landmarks of the 13 cities and municipalities of Negros Occidental. with Fernando Cuenca. Today. from the city proper of Bacolod. Visits to the nursery is by appointment through the City Environment Office.from furniture to furnishings. furniture and pottery pieces as early as the 7th and 9th century. a nursery for seeds and planting stocks. fashion accessories. . Panaad Park and Stadium Located in Barangay Mansilingan near the boundary of Barangay Alijis. this 25-hectare sports complex and park is known to be one of the best in the country and has already been host to a lot of national sport events. Tel.5 kms. the Showroom is an alternative giftshop that houses arts and crafts that Negros island had to offer . Open from 9:30 AM to 7:00 PM. The ANP Showroom Considered as the country's number one trade house and pasalubong center. ceramics. No. (034) 433-9234. the City Mayor's Office or the City Tourism Office. No. pottery. After the Negros Revolution in 1898. away from Barangay Alangilan which is about 17 kms. novelties. It has an orchard of hedge plants for vegetative propagation. (034) 434-0717 / 434-1000. Philippine hawk-eagle. also built the San Sebastian Cathedral. Bacolod Western Visayas Clonal Nursery The Bacolod Western Visayas Clonal Nursery lies on a one-hectare flat and gently rolling grassland terrain located 2. an Olympic-size swimming pool and other sports facilities. Fray Mauricio Ferrefo. thirty six (36) Spanish friars were ordered in incarcerated. Philippine serpent eagle and the sailfin lizard. It has a rubberized oval tract. monitor lizard. souvenir t-shirts as well as indigenous foods. who designated and constructed the Fort San Juan. wooden saints. Fort San Juan Was constructed in 1888 mainly thru the initiative of Don Ramon Pastor. scented candles.Tarictic hornbill.

This magnificent work of art was done by one of the country's noted sculptor. Eduardo Castrillo. Presently. is the official seat of the government of the Province of Negros Occidental. respectively. . It served as the headquarters of the Japanese Imperial Army during the World War II.Provincial Building An imposing structure of Romanesque neoclassical architectural design. To the north and south ends of the rectangular lagoon stand the statues of a woman and female water buffalo and a man and a male water buffalo. the lagoon grounds is a favorite jogging area of Bacolod residents. Provincial Park and Lagoon It is located In front of the Capitol Building. The woman standing beside the female water buffalo is a massive sculptural work said to have been done by a Italian artist whose work was never been duplicated until a Negrense artist who finished Fine Arts from the University of the Philippines duplicated the Italian's work of art by coming out with a man and male water buffalo. Paghimud-os Provincial Capitol Park "Ang paghimud-os " which literally means "The Struggle" is a fine sculpture erected at the east entrance of the Capitol Lagoon Park.