You are on page 1of 2

FEB 12 1998 The Honorable Dave Weldon Member, U.S.

House of Representatives Brevard County Government Complex 2725 Judge Fran Jamieson Way Building C Melbourne, Florida 32940 Dear Congressman Weldon: I am replying to your inquiry on behalf of your constituent, Mr. XXX of XXX , Florida, who wrote seeking the status of his complaint filed with the Department of Justice. Please excuse our delay in responding. Although Mr. XXX believed that his civil rights had been violated, his complaint generally involved a dispute concerning his eligibility for benefits under programs administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). After careful review we referred Mr. XXX complaint to the VA on April 8, 1997, and notified him about this action (Enclosure). As recently as November we responded to several telephone inquiries from Mr. XXX directing him to staff at the VA that were processing his complaint. Mr. Ken Kunkle, telephone (202) 273-8923, of the VA's civil rights office provided information that the VA staff contact on Mr. XXX file was Mr. Carl Wasson, telephone (202) 273-7345. Disagreements between Mr. XXX and the VA with respect to his eligibility to receive service-connected disability compensation or to qualify for guaranteed or subsidized loans must be resolved through the VA's administrative appeal process involving the Board of Veterans' Appeals. The VA regional staff that processed Mr. XXX claim can provide information about procedures to appeal the VA's determinations in his case. In the alternative, Mr. XXX may write directly to the Department of Veterans Affairs, (01C1), Board of Veterans' Appeals, Washington, D.C. 20420. cc: Records, Chrono, Wodatch, McDowney, Talian, FOIA h:\talian\myfiles\congress\f-weld XXX .va.wpd\sc. YOUNG-PARRAN -2-

Mr. XXX may find it useful to enlist the assistance of a recognized national veterans service organization such as the Veterans of Foreign Wars or the American Legion to help him in his VA appeal. He also may consult with a private attorney to determine what other options are available to him. Additionally, if Mr. XXX believes that VA personnel were intentionally negligent in the handling of his complaints or intentionally misapplied the law, or otherwise engaged in fraud, waste, or abuse, he may wish to file a complaint with the VA's Office of Inspector General by writing to: Mr. Richard Griffin Inspector General (50) Department of Veterans Affairs 810 Vermont Ave, N.W. Washington, D.C. 20420 Telephone (202) 565-8621. For Mr. XXX use, we have enclosed the VA's benefits directory that provides information about veterans' assistance services and proper appeal authorities at the VA. I hope this information is responsive to your constituent's concerns. Sincerely, Bill Lann Lee Acting Assistant Attorney General Civil Rights Division Enclosures