You are on page 1of 2

CHANDIGARH: The family of Ruchika Girhotra, a minor girl who allegedly committed

suicide after molestation by former Haryana director general of police (DGP) SPS Rathore,
has given up its fight for justice in the court of law after 22 years.
The special CBI court Panchkula on Friday accepted the closure report submitted by the
Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in two cases - attempt to murder and forgery of
documents- filed against former Haryana DGP SPS Rathore.
Ruchika's father Subhash and brother Ashu raised no objection to the closure report.
Admitting that he was not in a position to pursue the matter further, Subhash said, "I do not
see any hope now. We feel cheated. My family is vulnerable. The circumstances have pushed
us back by 20 years."
"When Rathore was convicted in 2009, I met union home minister P C Chidambaram who
assured me of justice. I thought time and system had changed and dared to move fresh
complaints against Rathore." On January 12, 2010 the CBI registered three fresh FIRs
against Rathore - attempt to murder, abetment to suicide and doctoring of documents.
However, in November 2010, the CBI submitted the closure report in two cases. The closure
report was accepted by the court on Friday.
"But now after finding that the system cannot be changed, we decided not to pursue it
further," Girhotra said.
Ruchika's disillusioned father said that he had presented a lot of material and some
witnesses related to the fresh cases before the agency. "But the agency was adamant on
closing the case."
Subhash forced his son and family into exile after Ruchika's death, fearing further
harassment at the hands of the former DGP. During this period, the family shifted between
several cities and returned to Panchkula many years later only to lead an inconspicuous life.
The third case against Rathore- abetment to suicide - is still pending. The CBI could not file
any report as the Punjab and Haryana high court has ordered status quo on it. Besides
Rathore, former Ambala SP KP Singh, sub-inspector Prem Dutt and assistant subinspectors Jai Narayan and Sewa Singh were also named in the FIR.
In its closure report, the CBI has said that the allegations levelled by Subhash Girhotra and
his son Ashu against Rathore were unfounded. The CBI also claimed that the allegations
could not be substantiated "as per the documentary evidence and oral testimony of
Ruchika Case---Timeline

August 12, 1990-- SPS Rathore, then IG and President, Haryana Lawn Tennis Association
(HLTA) molested Ruchika
September 1990--Ruchika expelled from school for 'indiscipline' following her allegations
against Rathore
September 3, 1990-- An Inquiry report indicts Rathore
October 23, 1993-- Ruchika's brother arrested in several theft cases
December 28, 1993-- Ruchika consumed poisonous substance
December 29, 1993-- Ruchika died
August 21, 1998-- High Court directs CBI to conduct inquiry
December 21, 2009-- CBI court sentenced six months' rigorous imprisonment to Rathore
January 12, 2010-- CBI registered three fresh FIRs leveling charges of attempt to murder,
abetment to suicide and doctoring documents
November 10, 2010-- CBI filed closure