You are on page 1of 5

You should know the name of each piece and its basic use.


For exact volume

measurements of
liquids. Pipet on the
left is a Volumetric
pipet. It has only one
graduation for
delivering one exact
volume. Pipet on the
right is a Mohr pipet.
It has graduations for
delivering any
number of exact

There are several

styles of fillers used
to draw liquids into
a pipet. A standard
pipet bulb is the
most commonly
used one.

Pipet filler

Never draw a liquid

into a pipet with
your mouth.

Filter flask

Erlenmeyer flask

Used in conjunction
with a vacuum
connection to a water
faucet to speed up

The Erlenmeyer
flask is the most
common flask in the
DVHS chemistry lab.
It is used to contain
reaction solutions.

The rounded bottom

of the florance flask
makes it ideal for
boiling liquids. It also
makes this flask easy
to tip over when
sitting on the lab

The volumetric flask

Volumetric flask
is used to make
solutions. It has a
precise graduation
line in the neck of
the flask. A solute is
placed into the
flask, then the
solvent is used to
bring the total
volume up to the

Florance flask

Graduated cylindar
Beakers are the most
versatile glassware in
the lab and can be
used for just about
anything. The volume
graduations on
beakers should be
used only for
"ballpark" estimates.


Used to make
measurements of
liquid volumes. The
bumper ring on
larger cylindars is to
prevent breakage if
tipped over. Keep it
near the top.

This dish is used to

A watch glass can
Evaporating dish
recover dissolved
be used like an
solids by evaporation.
evaporating dish for
While it can be
very small amounts
heated, it should not
of liquid. It can also
be used for "strong"
be used to cover
When attached to the
ring stand, this iron
ring is used to support
glassware above the
lab table.

Crucibles are used as

a container when
something requires
"strong" heating.

Support ring

Crucible and

When attached to
the ring stand, this
clamp is used to
hold a large test
tube or Florance
flask above the lab
These tongs are
used for picking up
crucibles and
crucible covers

Watch glass

Utility clamp

Crucible tongs

Wire gauze
Used to light a lab
burner. Not a toy
noisemaker during

Used as a support for

beakers when placed
across a support ring.

Mortor and

Test tube holder

Used to hold test
tubes for short
periods of "gentle"

Used to grind solids

into powders.

Wash bottle
Filter funnel
When lined with filter
paper, used to filter
suspended solids from
a liquid.

Used for rinsing

solids out of a
container when

Used to transfer solids Chemical spoon

from their original
container to a scale
for weighing.

Used to close hoses

by pinching them

Hose clamps

Dessicators are used to provide a dry environment for a

crucible or substance to cool down. This is critical in quantitative
work where moisture can affect mass results. A common
dessicant is anhydrous calcium chloride. Colored indicator
crystals are usually included to tell the user the condition of the
dessicant. A gray color in the crystals usually indicates that the
dessicant is dry and will absorb moisture. A pink color usually
means that the dessicant is "hydrated". When this happens, the
water can be removed by heating it in an oven.


Dropper is ideal for simplistic liquid handling for pharmaceutical, laboratory chemical,
cosmetic, aroma therapy and herbal uses.
Gas Jar is a container used for collecting gas from experiments. It looks like a tube
with a broad base and a broad opening.
Beaker is usually used as containers in which to mix various liquids or as measuring

Flasks are all containers or vessels, usually designed to carry a liquid and often made
of glass. The software includes flat bottomed flask, circle bottomed flask, conical
flask, pear-shaped flask and suckion flask.
Test Tube is usually used to hold the substance in place and that u can observe
reactions taking place.
Measuring Cylinder is used to measure the volume solutions, liquids or water.

Acid Burette and Alkaline Burette are simultaneously occupied by the presence of
a liquid measuring and transferring this derailment.
Condenser is used to cool hot vapors or liquids. A condenser usually consists of a
large glass tube containing a smaller glass tube running its entire length, within which
the hot fluids pass.
Kipp's Apparatus is a laboratory apparatus for producing a gas by the action of a
liquid on a solid without heating.
Separator Funnel is used to separate the components of a mixture between two
immiscible solvent phases of different densities.
A funnel is used to transfer liquid or fine-grained substances into containers with a
small opening without a spillage.
Desiccators is a short glass jar fitted with an air-tight cover, and containing some
desiccating agent, as sulphuric acid or calcium chloride, above which is suspended the
material to be dried, or preserved from moisture.

Crucible is used to hold small amounts of chemicals during heating at high