I prefer to have the consumer use and think about only the feed rate trim pot knob

.

I prefer to have the consumer use and think about only the feed rate trim pot knob. The easiest way for me is: turn the knob (+) and we richen the flame. Turn the knob (–) and we lean the flame out. When talking about the exhaust fan trim pot knob, I try to have them understand we are changing the speed of the exhaust fan. As the fan increases speed, turning the knob in a (+) direction, we cause more air to flow into the burn pot thus we lean the flame out. Instead of saying “a lean burn is not enough fuel or too much air” just say “it is not enough fuel”. With corn a lean burn many times is caused by not having a hot enough fire. The software expects that we will burn 99.7% of each kernel. If, because of a cooler flame, we only burn 70% of each kernel then we are leaving about 30% more ash in the burn pot then the stove expects and thus the buildup in the burn pot. The heat of the fire can be increased by adding more air. The amount of air not only will control the heat of the flame, but also by the (amount of heat) control the rate at which the fuel burns. The software is calibrated so that when it is time to do an ash dump, there will be about ½” to ¾” of ash and burning embers in the upper burn pot. Now if we are leaving only 0.7% of each kernel, the stove will run and run and run. If we are leaving more than 0.7% ash form each kernel, we will eventually have a buildup in the pot. Likewise, if we are not adding enough fuel in the first place, then eventually at some point we will not have enough ash and embers in the upper burn pot during and after the ash dump to ignite the fuel coming into the burn pot after the ash dump. At this point the burn pot will most likely fill with unburnt kernels and the stove will shut down; normally showing the 2-3 error code. A lean burn has a flame that oscillates from a higher (hotter) flame to a lower (cooler) flame. It is when the flame is at its’ lowest point that the flame may not be hot enough to burn the kernels in the burn pot completely thus leaving a partial burnt kernel. We now have more ash than the 0.7% ash expected. This is the start of the buildup. If the burn is only slightly lean, the stove may go for several days before shutting down or showing a buildup. If the burn is very lean, the buildup could happen in hours or even less. Partial burnt kernels are a sign of a lean burn as is the following: an oscillating flame, hard clinkers, a buildup in the burn pot normally on only one side and thin clinkers. With the 02.06.00.21 software, it seems that smaller adjustments have a larger effect on the burn. So encourage the customer to make only 2-3% adjustments at a time.