You are on page 1of 13

Philippine e-Legal ForumPhilippine laws and legal system (JLP-Law blog)

Skip to content
Philippine e-Legal Forum
By: Atty.Fred | January 11, 2007 in Annulment and Legal Separation
714 Replies | Related posts at the bottom of article

There are many questions relating to annulment and divorce in the Philippines, and many of the
concerns of our readers had already been addressed in previous articles. Nevertheless, to
consolidate everything for everyones easy reference, here are the FAQs on annulment and
divorce in the Philippines:

Is divorce allowed under Philippine laws?

No, divorce is not allowed in the Philippines. However, there are certain instances wherein the
divorce secured abroad by the foreigner-spouse, and even by former Filipinos, are recognized
under Philippine laws. More discussion here (Judicial Recognition of a Foreign Divorce Decree).

Would it make any difference if I marry abroad where divorce is allowed?

No. Filipinos are covered by this prohibition based on the nationality principle, regardless of
wherever they get married (and regardless where they get a decree of divorce). Discussions
relating to Overseas Filipinos or OFWs are transferred in Part V.

Is annulment different from a declaration of nullity of marriage?

Yes. In essence, annulment applies to a marriage that is considered valid, but there are
grounds to nullify it. A declaration of nullity of marriage, on the other hand, applies to
marriages that are void or invalid from the very beginning. In other words, it was never valid in
the first place.

Also, an action for annulment of voidable marriages may prescribe, while an action for
declaration of nullity of marriage does not prescribe.

So, if a marriage is void from the very beginning (void ab initio), theres no need to file anything
in court?

For purposes of remarriage, there must be a court order declaring the marriage as null and void.
Entering into a subsequent marriage without such court declaration means that: (a) the
subsequent marriage is void; and (b) the parties open themselves to a possible charge of bigamy.

What if no marriage certificate could be found?

Justice Sempio-Dy, in the Handbook of on the Family Code of the Philippines (p. 26, 1997
reprint), says: The marriage certificate is not an essential or formal requisite of marriage without
which the marriage will be void. An oral marriage is, therefore, valid, and failure of a party to sign
the marriage certificate or the omission of the solemnizing officer to send a copy of the marriage
certificate to the proper local civil registrar, does not invalidate the marriage. Also the mere fact
that no record of marriage can be found, does not invalidate the marriage provided all the
requisites for its validity are present. (Citations omitted)

Can I file a petition (annulment or declaration of absolute nullity of marriage) even if I am in a

foreign country?

Yes, the rules recognize and allow the filing of the petition by Filipinos who are overseas.

What are the grounds for annulment?

1. Lack of parental consent in certain cases. If a party is 18 years or over, but below 21, and the
marriage was solemnized without the consent of the parents/guardian. However, the marriage is
validated if, upon reaching 21, the spouses freely cohabited with the other and both lived
together as husband and wife.

2. Insanity. A marriage may be annulled if, at the time of marriage, either party was of unsound
mind, unless such party after coming to reason, freely cohabited with the other as husband and

3. Fraud. The consent of either party was obtained by fraud, unless such party afterwards, with
full knowledge of the facts constituting the fraud, freely cohabited with the other as husband and
wife. Fraud includes: (i) non-disclosure of a previous conviction by final judgment of the other
party of a crime involving moral turpitude; (ii) concealment by the wife of the fact that at the
time of the marriage, she was pregnant by a man other than her husband; (iii) concealment of
sexually transmissible disease or STD, regardless of its nature, existing at the time of the
marriage; or (iv) concealment of drug addiction, habitual alcoholism or homosexuality or
lesbianism existing at the time of the marriage. However, no other misrepresentation or deceit
as to character, health, rank, fortune or chastity shall constitute such fraud as will give grounds
for action for the annulment of marriage.

4. Force, intimidation or undue influence. If the consent of either party was obtained by any of
these means, except in cases wherein the force, intimidation or undue influence having
disappeared or ceased, the complaining party thereafter freely cohabited with the other as
husband and wife.

5. Impotence. At the time of marriage, either party was physically incapable of consummating
the marriage with the other, and such incapacity continues and appears to be incurable.
Impotence is different from being infertile.

6. STD. If, at the time of marriage, either party was afflicted with a sexually-transmissible disease
found to be serious and appears to be incurable. If the STD is not serious or is curable, it may still
constitute fraud (see No. 3 above).

What if a spouse discovers that his/her spouse is a homosexual or is violent, can he/she ask for

Homosexuality or physical violence, by themselves, are not sufficient to nullify a marriage. At the
very least, however, these grounds may be used as basis for legal separation.

How is legal separation different from annulment?

The basic difference is this in legal separation, the spouses are still considered married to each
other, and, thus, may not remarry.

Is legal separation faster than annulment?

Not necessarily. The petitioner in a legal separation, just like in an annulment, is still required to
prove the allegations contained in the petition. More important is the mandatory 6-month
cooling off period in legal separation cases. This is not required in annulment or declaration of
nullity cases. The court is required to schedule the pre-trial conference not earlier than six (6)
months from the filing of the petition. This period is meant to give the spouses an opportunity for

What are the grounds for legal separation?

1. Repeated physical violence or grossly abusive conduct directed against the petitioner, a
common child, or a child of the petitioner.

2. Physical violence or moral pressure to compel the petitioner to change religious or political

3. Attempt of respondent to corrupt or induce the petitioner, a common child, or a child of the
petitioner, to engage in prostitution, or connivance in such corruption or inducement.

4. Final judgment sentencing the respondent to imprisonment of more than six years, even if

5. Drug addiction or habitual alcoholism of the respondent.

6. Lesbianism or homosexuality of the respondent.

7. Contracting by the respondent of a subsequent bigamous marriage, whether in the Philippines

or abroad.

8. Sexual infidelity or perversion.

9. Attempt by the respondent against the life of the petitioner.

10. Abandonment of petitioner by respondent without justifiable cause for more than one year.

The term child shall include a child by nature or by adoption.

Should I file a petition for legal separation, can I use my own sexual infidelity as a ground?

It is interesting to note that among the grounds for legal separation, as listed above, only sexual
infidelity or perversion is not qualified by the phrase of the respondent or by respondent.
This may give the impression that the sexual infidelity of the petitioner, or the one who filed the
petition, may be used as a ground in legal separation. We must consider, however, that legal
separation is filed by the innocent spouse or the aggrieved party against the guilty spouse.

What happens if after learning that your husband (or wife) is unfaithful (No. 8 above), you still cohabitate with him/her?

This may be construed as condonation, which is a defense in actions for legal separation. In
addition to condonation, the following are the defenses in legal separation:

1. Consent.
2. Connivance (in the commission of the offense or act constituting the ground for legal
3. Mutual guilt (both parties have given ground for legal separation).
4. Collusion (to obtain decree of legal separation).
5. Prescription (5 years from the occurence of the cause for legal separation).

If youre separated from your spouse for 4 years, is that a sufficient ground for annulment?

No. De facto separation is not a ground for annulment. However, the absence of 2 or 4 years,
depending on the circumstances, may be enough to ask the court for a declaration of
presumptive death of the absent spouse, in which case the petitioner may again re-marry. See
Can someone remarry without going to court due to absence or separation?

What are the grounds for declaration of nullity of marriage?

1. Minority (those contracted by any party below 18 years of age even with the consent of
parents or guardians).

2. Lack of authority of solemnizing officer (those solemnized by any person not legally authorized
to perform marriages, unless such marriages were contracted with either or both parties
believing in good faith that the solemnizing officer had the legal authority to do so).

3. Absence of marriage license (except in certain cases).

4. Bigamous or polygamous marriages (except in cases where the other spouse is declared as
presumptively dead).

5. Mistake in identity (those contracted through mistake of one contracting party as to the
identity of the other).

6. After securing a judgement of annulment or of asolute nullity of mariage, the parties, before
entering into the subsequent marriage, failed to record with the appropriate registry the: (i)
partition and distribute the properties of the first marriage; and (ii) delivery of the childrens
presumptive legitime.

7. Incestous marriages (between ascendants and descendants of any degree, between brothers
and sisters, whether of the full or half blood).

8. Void by reason of public policy. Marriages between (i) collateral blood relatives whether
legitimate or illegitimate, up to the fourth civil degree; (ii) step-parents and step-children; (iii)
parents-in-law and children-in-law; (iv) adopting parent and the adopted child; (v) surviving
spouse of the adopting parent and the adopted child; (vi) surviving spouse of the adopted child
and the adopter; (vii) an adopted child and a legitimate child of the adopter; (viii) adopted
children of the same adopter; and (ix) parties where one, with the intention to marry the other,
killed that other persons spouse, or his or her own spouse.

9. Psychological Incapacity. Psychological incapacity, which a ground for annulment of marriage,

contemplates downright incapacity or inability to take cognizance of and to assume the basic
marital obligations; not a mere refusal, neglect or difficulty, much less, ill will, on the part of the
errant spouse. Irreconcilable differences, conflicting personalities, emotional immaturity and
irresponsibility, physical abuse, habitual alcoholism, sexual infidelity or perversion, and
abandonment, by themselves, also do not warrant a finding of psychological incapacity. We
already discussed the guidelines and illustrations of psychological incapacity, including a case
involving habitual lying, as well as the steps and procedure in filing a petition.

Please note, however, that there are still other grounds to declare a marriage as null and void.

Browse through the comments below to check if your questions are similar to that of others.
Other common issues are consolidated in Part II, Part III, Part IV, Part V, Costs in seeking an
Annulment, and other related posts. You can check the Related Posts at the bottom of each post.
Related Posts:
Rule on declaration of absolute nullity of void mariages and annulment of voidable marriages
Annulment in the Philippines: Questions and Answers (Part 3)
Annulment in the Philippines: Questions and Answers (Part 2)
Rule on Legal Separation
Costs in seeking an annulment
Post navigation Merry Christmas, everyoneAdditional Rules on Temporary Restraining Orders
(TRO) on Foreclosures of Real Estate Mortgage
714 thoughts on Annulment, Divorce and Legal Separation in the Philippines: Questions and


January 22, 2007 at 4:54 am

Dear Atty,

I would like to inquire abt the bigamy case. My cousin has remarried before his first marriage was
dissolved. Now his second wife got into trouble and got a fight with her friend about a certain
loan. Her friend wants her to shoulder the loan or the money that was missing and they told her
that if she do not pay that they will file a case against her and will definitely petition a bigamy
case for her and my cousin. Threatening her that they can easily issue a warrant of arrest
because her friend is an attorney and has access to most city halls and nbi. How will that be
possible? They are both scared, scared enough to come to work because they know that
somebody might just catch them and arrest them.


January 24, 2007 at 12:08 pm
If two foreigners marry in the Philippines and then obtain a divorce outside the Philippinesis
this divorce recognised under Philippines Law


Atty. Fred Post author

January 24, 2007 at 5:27 pm
emcoluk, foreigners are governed by their own laws when it comes to divorce. As long as they
validly secure a divorce outside the Philippines, the divorce decree is respected under Philippines

kpm, Im terribly sorry; please read the Terms. In the near future, we may be discussing
preliminary investigations, warrantless arrests and inquests in criminal cases. You might see the
answers in that post. Thank you.


January 25, 2007 at 2:33 am

is there such a law where a married woman can buy a property using her maiden name? will it be
still considered conjugal?



January 27, 2007 at 4:21 am
in addition to what i wrote, i got married in 1997 and got separated in 2004. the father of my 9-yr
old son and i have no communication since then (no child support, etc which is not the issue). im
planning to buy a house & lot but wonder if i can use my maiden name. and of course, i dont
want him to have a share with this in case i file for annulment in the future.

tnx again


Atty. Fred Post author

January 27, 2007 at 9:54 am
Rwan, Im not aware of any. On the other hand, a married woman is required to use the family
name of the husband. The extent by which a married woman may acquire property under her
own name largely depends on the kind of property relationship legally established during the
time of marriage. Beyond that information, I suggest you consult with your lawyer since were
prohibited from giving any legal advice in the absence of atty-client relationship. Of course,
something could be done to achieve your goal and I trust your lawyer knows it.

Good luck!


May 17, 2016 at 7:50 pm
attorney fred, i need your advise regarding for legal separation and annulment, i want to marry
again the girls who love me in true , im already separated around 3 years so i want to clear my
statues , what should i do ? im waiting for your response thank you and more power God bless


May 23, 2016 at 7:06 pm
Dear Atty. Fred,

Im separated for more than 11 yrs. now. but not legally. He doesnt support our kids. I try to
contact him to ask to support now for our kids, but all the contact numbers are not reachable.
Can I file a case to him, coz Im working as an OFW. I want also to file for annulment. Please help.
Looking forward for your response. Thank you.



January 27, 2007 at 7:07 pm

Attorney Fred,

Could that be a valid ground to file for a petition of declaration of absolute nullity of marriage? Is
that certification an enough and valid proof that we dont have any marriage license? How long
will it usually take for such petition in family court? How long does it usually cost? Should I really
need to wait for the courts declaration before I could get married? Please help me. Thanks.


January 28, 2007 at 10:31 pm
Attorney Fred,

Is there a way to file or get an annulment eventhough the wife doesnt appear in court? Are there
documents that needs to be signed by the wife in the process of the annulment? What if she
doesnt agree to sign? Is it still possible to continue the annulment? Is the divorce decree enough
to finalize the annulment?


January 30, 2007 at 4:57 am
Atty. Fred,

Should an annulment be granted, can a church wedding be possible? Thank you for your time.
Im looking forward to your response. God bless.


January 30, 2007 at 7:10 am
Atty Fred,

Will the Philippine court still recognized the divorce even the wife is neither a US immigrant or


Atty. Fred Post author

February 1, 2007 at 1:38 pm
Guys, sorry for the delayed reply, there were technical problems with the blog. First off, please
understand that we are prohibited from giving legal advice in this Forum, so you may notice that

we have declined from answering some of the questions. Nevertheless, as to general matters,
here are some notes that may hopefully point you in the right direction.

1. As discussed somewhere, it is indispensable, for the purpose of remarriage, to seek an

annulment or an order declaring a marriage as null and void. Ckeck with the NSO if a marriage
certificate is on file. Theres such a thing as a CENOMAR or a Certificate of No Marriage Record
(read here).

2. A decree of annulment may be issued without the other party appearing in court. In fact, the
signature or appearance of the other spouse doesnt mean that the petition will be granted. The
other spouse may choose NOT to appear, which is the reason why the public prosecutor is under
obligation to check if theres no collusion between the parties.

3. Theres a requisite dispensation before someone whose marriage had been annuled may get
married again in church.

By the way, angel_jasmine, I cant understand your question. Please clarify.

Good luck to everyone.


July 19, 2015 at 2:44 am
hi I just want to ask kindly if a lady separated from ex husband more than 7 years there is no
relationship anmore after legal marriage in Philippines and than the lady converted to Islam from
chruschinty now she is muslim and can she remarry to Muslim man legally if she will do this so
about Philippines law thanks


February 5, 2007 at 6:59 pm
Thanks for the reply atty. fred but Im still confused.

So are you saying that eventhough the wife (currently in America and has a divorce decree
herself; neither a US immigrant or a US citizen) doesnt appear in court and doesnt sign any
document in the process of the annulment, the husband can still acquire a decree of annulment?
On what grounds can the petition be granted? how long does it normally take?

If the husband has a copy of the divorce decree, can this be used as a strong evidence that can
expedite the process of the annulment? Does the phil. court recognized the divorce decree as
legal eventhough the wife is not a citizen of America?

Can the wife, eventhough not yet annuled, get married in America to a US immigrant? or does it
have to be a US citizen to completely consider the previous marriage null?

Does the wife have the right to have a copy of the annulment decree eventhough she didnt do
anything in the process? What does she need to do to obtain a copy? where?

I would appreciate your response.


February 5, 2007 at 7:09 pm

That is, if in case the husband doesnt want to give the wifes copy.


Atty. Fred Post author

February 7, 2007 at 1:51 am
Jasmine, yes, its possible to secure an annulment or a declaration of nullity even if the other
spouse does not appear or sign anything. As I mentioned earlier, this is the reason why the public
prosecutor is under obligation to check if theres a collusion between the spouses. Please read
again this article, because the grounds are discussed in it. In my estimate, the average length of
time is 1 year, and it may be shorter or longer depending on the circumstances.

As long as the spouse seeking the divorce is a Filipino (a former Filipino is an entirely difference
matter), any divorce decree issued is not recognized under Phil. laws.

For your other queries, please check the other articles. You may use the search function the right

Good luck.


February 7, 2007 at 5:40 pm
with regards to ur jan27 reply to my msg, can i at least register a property (should i buy one)
under my 9-yr old son? how does this go?

tnx again

Comment navigationNewer Comments
Leave a Reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Name *

Email *


Post Comment

Updates? Add your email:



Voting Guidelines for the 2016 Elections (Gabay sa Pagboto: 2016 National and Local Elections)
Rules and Regulations on the Liquor Ban in Connection with the May 9, 2016 National and Local
Elections (COMELEC Resolution No. 10095; Full Text)
Full List of 2015 Bar Exam Passers; Top 10
Regulation of Ride-Sharing Services, Transportation Network Vehicle Service
When the Use of Aliases Violates the Law
Primer on Wage Order No. NCR-19 (15-Peso Increase in Minimum Wage)
The System of Fixing the Minimum Wage in the Philippines
Criminal Complaints and Damages from Malicious Prosecution
Philippine e-Legal Forum


Primer on the Minimum Wage Tax Exemption (10)

Amir: *earners
The Basic Elements of Contracts (17)
Enzo: I would like to know the best way to execute a good contract online since my partner is
based overseas and...
Basic issues in child custody (253)
Maribel M.: Hi. i and my ex lived together for over 10 years but never been married. We have 2
kids aged 8 and 5. He...
Costs in seeking an annulment (46)
Milane: Hi!i would like to ask regarding my situation.,Im marriage by 2007 as an secret marriage
only and My...
Whats in a name? Change of name without going to court (127)
Guia: Good day! Ipinangalan ng parents ko ang along anak sa kanila upon giving birth to him. He
is now 10yo at ang...
Basic Q&A on the Rule of Procedure for Small Claims Cases (28)
Gwen: Hello, Atty. Thank you for this Article at maari kaming makapagtanong. Way back in 2005,
nakahiram po ako sa...
Legal Support for the Child and R.A. 9262 (349)
lyn: gud am po atty i want to ask for advised for my case.. i have a 7years old son from
american father.....
Usury and Unconscionable Interest Rates (29)
delzkie: Sir, I want to cancel a loan due to misrepresentation but already signed the disclosure
statement. The bank...

Links within a post may no longer be working. Please report these dead links so we could make
the necessary corrections. Click here to report. Thank you.

Annulment and Legal Separation

Bar Exams & Bar Matters
Corporate and Investments
Criminal Law
Elections and Constitutional Law
Family Law
HR and Labor
Immigration Law

Intellectual Property
Internet Law
Mining and Energy
Property/Estate Law
Sentencing Law
Special Projects
Tax Law | | Bar Exams Forum | AttyAtWork | Pinoy-Business | VisitPinas
RSS Entries and RSS Comments