You are on page 1of 3

Kyi Maung

Colonel Kyi Maung (Burmese:

, pronounced: [t m]; 20

December 1920 19 August 2004) was a Burmese Army officer and

politician. Originally a member of the military-backed Union Revolutionary
Council that seized power in 1962, Kyi Maung resigned from the ruling
council in 1963 after a public disagreement with General Ne Win, the leader
of the council, on the military's long-term role in government.[1] He joined the
National League for Democracy, led by Aung San Suu Kyi, in 1988 and won a
seat in the Hluttaw from Bahan Township in the 1990 general election. He
was vice-chairman of the NLD from 1988 to 1997. He was imprisoned four
times for a total of 12 years by successive military governments.
Early life
Kyi Maung was born on 20 December 1920 to Ngwe Khin and her husband Po
Thein[2][3] in Rangoon (now Yangon), British Burma to a family of TeochewBurmese heritage.[4] He enrolled in Rangoon University in 1936, and became
a fervent anti-colonialist. He participated in 1938 nationwide strikes and
rallies against the British colonial regime. He nearly died after he was
severely beaten in his head by the police on 20 December 1938, which is
now commemorated as Bo Aung Kyaw Day in Myanmar. He was by his fellow
student striker Aung Kyaw, who was also severely beaten by the police, until
Aung Kyaw's last breath.[1]
Kyi Maung was a final year student in 1941 when he left university to join the
Burma Independence Army to fight the British colonial government. In 1943,
he was sent to Japan for officer training school, from which he graduated in
1945. Upon return, he joined No. 5 Burma Rifles. He eventually rose to the
rank of Battalion Commander when he was sent to the US for further training
between 1955 and 1956. He was promoted to regional commander in 1960
when he became head of Yangon Command.[1]
Col. Kyi Maung was one of the 18 senior officers that seized power from the
democratically elected government of U Nu in 1962. Later that year, he was
reassigned to Southwestern Command. In 1963, he was forced out of the
army and the council after he disagreed with Gen. Ne Win, the leader of the
council, regarding the military's role in government.[1] The army continued to
keep tabs on him when he retired and was put under arrest a couple of
times. After being released from his seven years of confinement, he was

selected to be part of the Executive Committee of the political party,

National League for Democracy (NLD), which was led by Aung San Suu Kyi
until her house arrest in July 1989, after which Kyi Maung became its leader.
Under his leadership, the NLD won a substantial majority in the parliament
during the 1990 elections.[5] The result, however, was not officially
recognized by the ruling military junta then.[5]
Kyi Maung went to prison four times. Gen. Ne Win sent him to prison twice
for a total of seven years between 1963 and 1987. He was jailed for a month
in 1988 and imprisoned for five years from 1990 to 1995.[6] He quit the NLD
in 1997 over conflicting views within the party.[7] Although the reason for his
departure was never publicly made known, he reportedly "had sharp
differences with Suu Kyi".[8]
Personal life and death
Kyi Maung spent much time meditating Vipassan style.[9] He died on 19
August 2004 at his Yangon residence.[3] He was married to Kyi Kyi and they
had two children.[8]
Kyi Maung

Vice-chairman of NLD
In office
Preceded by Office Created
Member of Revolutionary Council
In office
Commander of Southwestern
In office
Commander of Yangon Command
In office
Personal details
20 December 1920
Rangoon, British Burma
19 August 2004 (aged 83)

Political National League for

Democracy (19881997)
Spouse(s) Kyi Kyi (his death)
Po Thein (father)
Ngwe Khin (mother)
Children 2
Alma mater Rangoon University
Religion Theravada Buddhism
Thiri Pyanchi
Military service
Burmese Army
Years of