You are on page 1of 1

Sein Lwin (Burmese: , pronounced: [si lw ]; 1923 9 April 2004) was a Burmese

General and politician. He was President of Myanmar for 17 days in 1988, following the
resignation of San Yu.

He joined the Army in 1943, and in 1944 joined Ne Win's 4th Burma Rifles. He is believed to
have personally killed Karen rebel leader Saw Ba U Gyi. General Sein Lwin had a reputation as
being a henchman for General Ne Win. He was one of those responsible for the Rangoon
University Student Union massacre on 7 July 1962 when 130 university students protesting
against General Ne Win's coup d'tat were killed and the Student Union building dynamited the
next day. Aung Gyi and Tin Pe were the senior officers, and Sein Lwin was the field
commanding officer in the University region.[1] No one knows exactly who gave the order.

Sein Lwin, as commander of the security force riot police (Lon Htein) was again responsible for
dealing with student protests during the 1988 pro-democracy demonstrations. On 16 March,
following the killing of two students, students marching on Prome Road were confronted near
Inya Lake by the riot police and many beaten to death or drowned. On 17 March, soldiers and
riot police entered Rangoon University and arrested hundreds of students, 41 dying in custody.
As public unrest grew, a general strike was called for 8 August 1988. Sein Lwin, succeeded Ne
Win as Burma Socialist Programme Party Chairman on 26 July and San Yu as President on 27
July 1988.

Sein Lwin, implementing the threat in Ne Win's "when the army shoots, it shoots to hit"
resignation speech, directed troops to fire on groups of unarmed demonstrators in Yangon during
the 8 August 1988 demonstrations (referred to as the 8888 Uprising), killing and wounding
hundreds. Protests, more shootings and arrests continued until Sein Lwin resigned on 12 August.
For these actions, he earned the nickname "Butcher of Rangoon".

The State Law and Order Restoration Council was established shortly after by Gen Saw Maung
who staged a coup on 18 September 1988. Following the military takeover, the junta provided
assistance to Sein Lwin, including guards, a pension, several four-wheel drive vehicles and
monthly food rations. However, after the junta put Ne Win under arrest in March 2002, this
assistance was removed.

His death was reported in a state-run newspaper, Myanma Ahlin, which did not give a cause of