Autumn Bybee

This week we gave our post-assessment to the students. I was observing the students
throughout the assessment and I reminded them to remember all of the things they have learned
over the past few weeks and to do their best. I have been working a lot on vowel sounds and we
brushed on complex consonants on the last lesson. Here are my results:

Isabel: Upper level Spelling Inventory Pre-Test and Post-Test

40 37
35
29
30

25

20

15 Pre-Test
10
Post-Test
10 78 6
45 34 4 45 45 5
5 22 12 00
0

Based on the results Isabel’s spelling has improved. The chart above shows that she has grown in
every area except assimilated prefixes which we did not spend time talking about. We can see
that Isabel’s feature points has increased by 8 and her words spelled correctly increased by 5.
Isabel has been working hard to understand the concepts that I have been teaching her and even
with the focus of vowels we discussed many of the other areas which she has shown growth in.
Autumn Bybee

Ryker: Upper Level Spelling Inventory, Pre-test and Post-test.
50 47
45
40
40
35
30
25
20
13 Pre-Test
15
8 9 8 Post-Test
10 6 6 77 77 6
55
5 2 23 21 22
0

Based on Ryker’s scores from the pre-test and post-test he has also grown. We can see his
feature points have increased by 7 and is words spelled correctly has increased by 5. Ryker has
also shown growth in the vowels and complex consonants which were the two areas we focused
on. Ryker has done well in my group and stays focused and is willing to learn new concepts. I
think with more work Ryker will continue to grow at a fast pace.
Autumn Bybee

Alexandra Upper Level Spelling Inventory, Pre-Test and Post-Test

25
21
20 18

15

10
Pre-Test
5
5 4 4 Post-Test
3 3 3
2 2 2
1 11
0 0
0

Alexandra has shown some growth from her pre and post-test. Alexandra has increased by three
feature points and has increased her words she spelled correctly by 1. Alexandra results were
what I expected. During my group she had a hard time focusing and would often times make up
her own words to avoid spelling them wrong. Alexandra has a wide vocabulary but will need
additional assistance, possibly one on one to focus on her needs in spelling those words.

Overall, my group has all shown growth from the pre and post-test. Each of them have
been engaged in learning more about spelling. They have done many word sorts and readers
theaters to assist with this. The results above helped to show me that the strategies I have learned
about in my lit 2 class truly do work in assisting students in their spelling. I am looking forward
to having more opportunities to test different strategies in the future.