You are on page 1of 20

St Giles’ Church, Oxford

Parish News

St Giles’ in 1779
(From the Oxford Almanack of that year. The Dolphin Inn and St John’s College are
on the right. The original drawing is in the Leeds City Art Galleries.)

August 2017 Free
Please take one
PARISH CONTACTS
Vicar: Canon Andrew Bunch, 01865 510460
The Vicarage, Church Walk, Oxford OX2 6LY vicar@churchwalk.eclipse.co.uk
Associate Priest: Revd Tom Albinson 01865 515409 or 07426 948251
tomalbinson@gmail.com
Lay Minister: David Longrigg, 23 Norham Rd, Oxford OX2 6SF 01865 557879
Benefice Manager: Henrietta Mountain-Ritter 01865 512319
10 Woodstock Road, Oxford OX2 6HT beneficemanager@st-giles-church.org
Churchwardens
Maureen Chu 01865 726011 maureenchu1@gmail.com
Joanne Russell 01865 760788 joannerussell1@me.com
Acting Treasurer: Rod Nixon treasurer@st-giles-church.org
Organist: Andrew Patterson andrew.patterson@finemusic.co.uk
Choir Director: Nicholas Prozzillo choir@st-giles-church.org
PCC Secretary: Sarah-Jane White sarah-jane.white@ihs.ox.ac.uk
Captain of the Bells: John Pusey johnguypusey@hotmail.com
Church Flowers: Mary Whitlock stgilesflowers@gmail.com
Benefice Secretary: Anne Dutton secretary@st-giles-church.org
Twitter @StGilesOxford
Instagram stgileschurch
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ChurchStGilesOxford
Website www.st-giles-church.org
________________________________________________________________
WEEKLY SERVICES AT ST GILES’
Sunday: 8:00 am Holy Communion (BCP)
10:30 am Holy Communion
6:30 pm Evensong (BCP)
Monday: 5:30 pm Evening Prayer
Tuesday: 5:30 pm Evening Prayer
Wednesday: 12:30 pm Eucharist
5:30 pm Evening Prayer
Thursday: 5:30 pm Evening Prayer
Friday: 1:15 pm Taizé Worship
5:30 pm Evening Prayer
Saturday: 5:30 pm Evening Prayer

2
Please send any items for inclusion in the September newsletter to
secretary@st-giles-church.org by Monday 21st August 2017.

Contents – August 2017
Bellringing News – John Pusey Page 3
Trip to Bankeryd – Siân Grønlie Page 4
Music at St Giles’, Spring/Summer 2017 – Jean Darke Page 7
Oxford Deanery Synod – Terms Explained Page 9
The Men Behind the Names (2) – Alison Bickmore Page 10
Helpers Wanted/From St Giles’ Registers Page 15
Flowers in church – Mary Whitlock Page 15
th
Pottery Demonstration and Talk, 26 June – Maureen Chu Page 16
The Art of Faith: Eularia Clarke – Margaret Williamson Page 17
St Giles’ Magazine 100 Years Ago/50 Years Ago Page 19
Dates for your Diary – June 2017 Page 20

BELLRINGING NEWS

C ONGRATULATIONS to Andrew Freer and Alison Pickford, who have
announced their engagement. We celebrated with a small “drinks
party” during practice on Thursday 29th June. Their wedding will take
place at St Giles’ on Saturday 12th May 2018, at 2:00 pm.
The ringers who came to St Giles’ on Saturday 8th July were from
Leeds, and they successfully completed their peal, ringing Bristol
Surprise Major, which is generally regarded as lending itself particularly
well to producing musical compositions. They were in the Oxford area
for a long weekend, and succeeded in all the four peals they
attempted. One of their party had developed a particularly painful
blister, and I was asked at a couple of days’ notice to take their place in
their final peal - 3 hrs 23 mins on the twelve bells at Oxford Cathedral,
about half an hour longer than peals usually take at St Giles’.
John Pusey

3
TRIP TO BANKERYD

T HE weekend before Pentecost, Tom Albinson and I, funded by St
Giles’ PCC and St Sigrid’s Fund, flew to Gothenburg to visit the
parish of Bankeryd in the diocese of Växjö in Sweden. I took my two
children with me, Sunniva and Benji, to represent our boys’ and girls’
choirs. We had been told that spring was a good time to visit, but
weren’t quite expecting such warm sunshine (it reached 28° C) on top
of the beautiful scenery, the profound calm of the lake, and the long,
light evenings. Our first impression was of space and beauty inspired
by the natural surroundings.
The retired pastor of Bankeryd, Magnus Lönnberg, met us off the
bus in Jönköping and was our guide for much of the weekend. He was
born in Jönköping and knew plenty about the history of the town, as
well as the diocese and parish. The first place he took us to was the
100-year-old City Park, where we enjoyed some beautiful panoramic
views of Lake Vättern, the second largest lake in Sweden, and too cold
for swimming in May, Magnus warned us (although that didn’t deter
me from a quick dip later on). We looked at a Viking Age rune stone
raised by one Helgi in memory of his son Özurr, as well as at some
traditional wooden Swedish buildings. Magnus told us that there had
been a wooden stave church there dating to c. 1200, but it had burned
down a couple of years ago. Then Magnus drove us to Gränna, a
picturesque little town on the edge of the lake, where the children
were able to buy polkagris, a traditional Swedish sweet, like rock, but
in all imaginable flavours, shapes and sizes. Over lunch, Magnus
explained that Jönköping’s history has been shaped by its strategic
placement between Stockholm, Gothenburg, Malmö and Lund, which is
perhaps why it was burned down so many times by the Danes (‘we’re
on friendly terms now’, Magnus assured us – although a parishioner
later explained to me in some detail why Swedish coffee is better than
Danish). Perhaps because of its importance as a trading centre,
Jönköping is known as the ‘Jerusalem’ of Southern Sweden, because so
many denominations are represented, from Roman Catholic and
Orthodox to Lutheran, Pentecostal and Congregationalist. We did
indeed pass many churches on our journey, many of them imposing
buildings from the mid-19th century, named after kings or queens (like
Sofiakyrkan).

4
On Sunday, we went to the Eucharist at the parish church of
Bankeryd, about 15 minutes’ drive from Jönköping. The adult choir
was singing, and it was lovely to hear
some Rutter, as well as traditional and
contemporary Swedish hymns
(including a setting of the Gloria by a
local composer). Bankeryd is a
beautiful church from c. 1860, although
a church has stood there since the
Middle Ages. Lolo, the youth and
children’s worker, took us up into the
loft to show us the ceiling, made of
painted planks of wood salvaged from
the old church, but not correctly assembled: you can glimpse an angel’s
wing, a cherub’s face, a trumpet, but you can’t reconstruct from them
the original paintings. Inside, the church is simple but elegant, airy and
full of light, with just two paintings: over the altar, a beautiful fresco
based on the Beatitudes, and in the nave a picture of Christ the
Gardener with Mary Magdalen.
We were keen to find out more about the similarities and
differences between our two parishes. About 9,000 people live in the
parish of Bankeryd, but the congregation, like ours, can vary
significantly depending on the type of service held. Gunilla, one of the
two organists, told us that they can have as many as 100 people when
the children’s choirs are singing or as few as 25 when no choir is there.
As for us, there is no space within the church for Sunday school, so
when the children’s choirs are singing, they hold a child-friendly
service. But whereas we have struggled to get our girls’ choir up and
running, they have quite the opposite problem: Gunilla told us that she
had 40 girls but only one boy in her children’s choir, and that very few
boys continue to sing after their voices have broken.
After the service, we had lunch in the newly built parish centre, a
wonderful resource that left us feeling rather wistful. This is where the
choirs rehearse, the children and youth groups meet, as well as where
the staff has offices. There is an enormous games room, a ‘messy play’
room, and a room for teenagers with sofas and a guitar (my daughter
settled in right away) and, to our surprise and delight, a room full of

5
weaving looms, used by the local community to make traditional rugs.
Upstairs, there is a small prayer room and a couple of rehearsal rooms,
one of which is consecrated and has a corner window in the shape of
the cross. The sense of light, space and air were, again, what
impressed us most deeply about the place.
What did we learn from our visit? Most profoundly, perhaps, we
left with a renewed sense of Christian community and fellowship: the
welcome, kindness and generosity with which we were received by
people we had met only once. We were overwhelmed by the gifts we
received: prayer bracelets, hymn books, resources for children, and lots
of ideas towards our own Lucia procession. Magnus, Gunilla and Lolo
gave unceasingly of their time, and we were treated to a marvellous
dinner and a buffet lunch, with a
traditional Swedish cake (Tom
described it as ‘trifle in cake form’)
decorated with the Swedish and
English flag. It’s extraordinary to think
that the work of English missionaries in
Sweden in the late 10th century has
borne fruit in spiritual ties that can still
be felt. We were also introduced to
the Lutheran prayer bracelet, an aid to
prayer, but also a prayer in itself, to
which both children and adults can relate. The different shapes and
colours of the beads represent different aspects of Christian life of
prayer: the presence of God, baptism, wilderness, love for God and for
one another, death, hope and resurrection. More practically, we were
interested to hear some of the parish practices around youth work,
particularly the way that they combine the choirs with their youth clubs
so that children can come after school, sing for an hour and then go
downstairs to hang out, play games, or paint and draw. We fell in love
with the little play church in the garden, complete with toy organ, altar
and font, and were amazed to discover that there were full sets of
child-size vestments in liturgical colours, as well as props for weddings,
funerals and baptisms. We could only imagine how delighted the
children at St Giles’ would be at the chance to ‘play’ church. This is,
after all, how small children learn, and how they process important

6
experiences. Finally, we were introduced to the all-important new
Swedish word fika (‘coffee break’) – a concept rather like the Danish
hygge.
It was wonderful visit, which we are grateful to have had the
opportunity to make, and we are very much looking forward to
welcoming the choir of Bankeryd to St Giles’ next spring. We left, with
sadness, on Monday morning, our bags stuffed full of all the presents
we had been given, but with a new place in our hearts for our link
parish in Bankeryd. Siân Grønlie
__________________________________________________________
MUSIC AT ST GILES’ SPRING/SUMMER 2017 SERIES

I THINK St Giles’ can congratulate itself on another hugely successful
Spring/Summer concert series, the smooth-running of which owes so
much to the splendid band of volunteers such as Jim Smith, Maureen
Chu, Sarah-Jane White, Jane Finnerty, Joanne Russell, Phillip and
Elspeth Shirtcliff, David Clover, and many, many others. Our Acting
Treasurer, Rod Nixon, will shortly give an account of how much money
we have raised so far for Project 900, and I am optimistic.
Musically, we began with a flourish in March with (once again)
performances of the very highest standard from star clarinettist Phillip
Shirtcliff, soprano Anna Shackleton, and pianist Akino Kitihara in an
intoxicating programme of music by Brahms, Spohr, and Ravel.
On Palm Sunday Pergolesi’s exquisite Stabat Mater was
beautifully rendered, as last year, by countertenor Adrian Boorman,
soprano Anna Shackleton, and pianist Jonathan French. This
performance took place instead of Choral Evensong and was very well
attended. Of course no admission price was charged, but instead a
retiring collection was taken. Easter saw us once again celebrating
joyfully annual performances of Mozart’s Requiem on Good Friday,
most movingly sung by a church full of singers, in all registers, after a
brief rehearsal, tea and the performance itself. We were joined by a
good number of singers from St Andrew’s, Linton Road, North Oxford.
The Summer ‘proper’ season was launched in the ‘merry month
of May’ with an appropriately light-hearted and joyful concert of
popular music by the inimitable Titanic House Band – Not Waving but
Drowning - wonderful-music making by the return visit of this 16-
strong band (compèred by its vivacious lady singer) and led by Richard

7
Bailey (owner of the popular Daisies Flower Shop in Jericho), who
performed a singularly poignant and beautiful oboe solo).
Early June saw another astonishing virtuoso performance on the
organ of Widor’s Symphonie V by choir director Dr Nicholas Prozzillo –
Nicholas’s recitals always delight with an erudite and informative
accompanying talk. On 10th June, came an unscheduled but brilliant
choral concert by the University choir, The Arcadians, generously given
in aid of Project 900, well attended, and reviewed, along with one on
Nicholas’ organ recital, by Andrew Sillit, in the June issue of Parish
News.
Another initially unscheduled concert took place on 17th June,
when a very large audience rapturously received an astonishing
virtuoso performance by 18 year old viola player Georgia Russell,
daughter of churchwarden Joanne. Georgia gave a taxing but superbly
executed account of a transcription for viola and piano from
Prokofiev’s Romeo and Juliet orchestral suite from his ballet; a
singularly moving account of a Bach violin partita which added
sonorous beauty now played on the viola, and finally, a “performance
worthy of a Festival Hall/Carnegie Hall appearance” (my comment
made to the audience at the end) of Rebecca Clarke’s beautiful and
romantic Sonata for Viola and Piano) when Georgia presented an
incredibly poised and mature concert ‘presence’ to a totally transfixed
audience. (Rebecca Clarke, a sadly neglected composer of distinction
and outstanding viola player, was the subject of BBC Radio Three’s
regular feature: This Week’s Composer. Aside from the unanimous
appreciation of Georgia’s playing, I for one was grateful for this lovely
introduction to this relatively unknown composer’s work.
On 24th June, as a wonderful winding-up family-friendly Project
900 fund raising concert, we were happy to welcome again the
Oxley/Graham family band ‘Nine Lives’, who raised so much money for
the Choir Academy last year. Pete Oxley, internationally renowned jazz
guitarist and composer (and owner of award-winning The Spin jazz club
in Oxford) gave us once again some really joyful music-making. All
performers play at least three instruments, and sing too; their age
ranges from sub-teens, teenagers, very young and older (parents!)
adults, and played an absolutely exhilarating programme of popular
light music, including many of Pete’s own compositions and delightful

8
arrangements of well known ‘standards’. The resultant toe-tapping by
the audience broke out (the Vicar didn’t mind a bit!) into actual
dancing at the back (hitherto staid and ‘respectable’ congregation
members could be seen ‘jigging’ in time to the music - one ‘noble’
gentleman indicating, with discreet complicated movements that he
was no mean dancer!) There was an audience of well-nigh 100,
including 15 children and several babies bounced on their parents’ laps,
and the whole evening brought the audience to a standing ovation
after a clamoured-for encore. A rewarding grand finale to the now
annual Music at St Giles’ Spring/Summer Concert Series. Grateful
thanks to all volunteers and supporters!! Jean Darke
__________________________________________________________
OXFORD DEANERY SYNOD – TERMS EXPLAINED
What is a Deanery? A Deanery is a group of parishes within an
Archdeaconry. The Diocese of Oxford is divided into 29 Deaneries.
What is Deanery Synod for? The Deanery is a strategic mission unit in
the Diocese, and a Deanery Synod acts as a vital link between people in
the parishes (the PCC), the Diocese (Diocesan Synod) and the Church of
England nationally (General Synod). A prime purpose of the Deanery is
to support and enable work in parishes, but not to direct it. Deanery
Synod acts as a forum for the airing of parish views on any common
problems, the communication of Diocesan Synod decisions, the
consideration of relevant business and the referral to Diocesan Synod
of matters of concern. Deanery Synod members also act as the
electorate for all elections to Diocesan Synod and General Synod.
What do Deanery Synod members do? Members of the Deanery
Synod are there to work in collaboration with the Bishop, Diocesan
officers, other members, Area Dean and officers of the Deanery to
forward the mission of the Church. They do this by: being a point of
contact between Deanery and parish, participating fully in the life of
the PCC to which they belong. The members of a Deanery Synod are
elected for a term of three years (triennium). At the beginning of each
new triennium the following officers must be elected by the Synod.
1. Lay Chair: The Deanery Synod is divided into two houses, the house
of laity and the house of clergy. The Area Dean is appointed by the
Bishop to chair the whole Synod and to be the leader of the house of

9
clergy. The lay members of the Synod elect one of their number to
work in collaboration with the Area Dean to discharge the duties of the
Synod and to chair its meetings.
2. Secretary: The Deanery Secretary keeps an up to date roll of
members, prepares the agenda for Synod meetings, distributes
agendas and related papers to members, takes the minutes of the
meetings and distributes to members. The Secretary performs the
same function for the Deanery Standing Committee.
3. Treasurer: The Deanery Treasurer manages the financial accounts
for the Deanery, the collection of parish-share from parishes and
payments to the Diocese.
4. Standing Committee: The Standing Committee is made up of the
Area Dean, Lay Chair, Deanery Secretary, Treasurer and members
elected in equal numbers from both houses of clergy and laity. The
function of the Standing Committee shall be to initiate and advise on
proposals; to ensure that members of the Synod are adequately
informed on questions raised and other matters of importance to the
Deanery; to prepare the agenda; to transact the business of the Synod
between meetings; and to make such appointments and do such other
things as the Synod may delegate to it.
__________________________________________________________
THE MEN BEHIND THE NAMES (2)

T HE names on the memorial tell us the briefest of facts about the
men concerned - only their names, military rank and the year in
which each died. Some local war memorials identify the regiment or
service in which a man served and it is not uncommon or surprising to
find most of the men all serving in the same local regiment. In
contrast, one of the features of the St Giles’ names is that those 18
men belonged to as many 15 different regiments or services.
Four of the men (Arthur Baker, Leonard Bennett, Francis Hudson
and Harry Robinson) did belong to the same regiment – and not
surprisingly to the regiment that was “local” to the parish – the
Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry: and a fifth man
(Reginald Webster) initially joined the Ox & Bucks Light infantry
although, at the time of his death, he was serving in the Royal
Warwickshire Regiment.

10
ARTHUR ERNEST BAKER was born in Oxford in 1896. He was the
youngest of the eight children of James and Emma Baker. At the time
of the 1901 Census the family were living at 9 Little Clarendon Street.
By 1911 they had moved to 32 St John Street. Arthur was 15 and still at
school but his father, who was a hairdresser and wigmaker, had been
widowed and the eldest son, Robert was no longer living at home.
Arthur enlisted in Oxford on the outbreak of war in 1914, joining
the 5th Battalion of the Ox & Bucks Light Infantry: the battalion was one
of the Kitchener’s “new army”. After training in Oxford and
Chelmsford, he arrived in France in May 1915. He was wounded on
22nd June and was sent back to England for
medical treatment. He returned to his
regiment in France towards the end of
September, and was reported missing in action
on 17th October. Thirteen soldiers were killed
by a mine explosion on that day and 23 men
were missing, buried in the debris of the
explosion. Arthur was one of the missing and
his body was never found. His name is one of
more than 54,000 commemorated on the Ypres Memorial at the Menin
Gate in Belgium – he was 20 years old.
There is an affectionate reference to him and his links with the
church in the Parish Magazine of January 1916. Until the outbreak of
war, he taught in the St Giles’ Sunday school and was a member of the
Church Lads’ Brigade.
ERNEST LEONARD BENNETT, known as Leonard, was born in 1897, the
youngest of the six children of Tom and Kate Bennett of 19 Winchester
Road – just outside the parish boundary. As a boy he sang in St Giles’
choir. In 1911, Leonard was 14 and working as
an office boy at the Clarendon Press. Two
unmarried older sisters were working at home
as dressmakers. His father, Tom, was a
bootmaker working at home on his own
account, and was a sidesman at St Giles’
Church. Leonard enlisted into the Ox & Bucks
Light Infantry late in 1915 as a volunteer and
went out to France to join B Company, 1/4th

11
Battalion early in 1916. He was wounded by a shell in early May and
died of his wounds on 7th May, aged 19. He was buried in Hebuterne
Military Cemetery in Northern France.
Leonard’s father, Tom, continued his connections with St Giles’
Church as sidesman and churchwarden and teaching in the Sunday
school until his sudden death in 1928, aged 71. Kate, Leonard’s
mother, left the house in Winchester Road soon after her husband’s
death. She continued living in Oxford, perhaps with one of her other
children, and died in 1943, aged 85.
FRANCIS LEWIS HUDSON was born in Clerkenwell, London in 1893 to
Francis and Annie M Hudson. At the time of the 1901 Census the
family were living in Yoxford, Suffolk – Francis senior working as a coal
dealer, mother, three teenage daughters and Francis aged 7. By 1911
the parents had moved to Oxford where they lived at 21 Banbury Road.
Mr Hudson was caretaker at the Oxford High School for Girls. The
school had moved to that building in 1879.
Two of the daughters, aged 27 and 22, were
working as servants and living at 1 Eagle &
Child Yard, St Giles. Aged 18, Francis was
living with them and working as a first-class
tailor with Mr Summersell at 48 Abingdon
Road. Francis enlisted into the Ox & Bucks
Light Infantry in Oxford in 1914 and was with
the 1/4th Battalion when it went to France in
March 1915. He was killed in action at Sickle Trench, near Pozières on
23rd July 1916, during the second phase of the 1916 Battles of the
Somme. He is buried at Pozières British Cemetery in France.
REGINALD ERNEST WEBSTER was born in Oxford in 1891. At the time
of the 1901 Census he was 9 and living with three siblings and his
mother, Isabella Webster, in Cowley St John parish. Mrs Webster
worked as a laundress, her eldest son, Leonard, was 18 and a shop
assistant, as was the eldest daughter, Margaret aged 16. Reginald was
still at school and the youngest member of the family was a one year-
old daughter, Beatrice.
By the 1911 Census, the family were living at 26 Essex Street, off
the Cowley Road and Reginald, aged 19, was working as a grocer’s
assistant. At the same time Matilda Payne, aged 17, was living at home

12
with her family at 33a St Giles. Her mother, Clara Payne was a widow
running a fruiterer’s business at that address.
In July 1914 the St Giles’ Church marriage
registers record that Reginald Ernest Webster
and Matilda Florence Payne were married in
the church. The Parish Magazine records the
marriage, and also the baptism in early 1915
of their first son – Leonard Reginald. Reginald
gave his occu-pation as grocer’s assistant: the
family were living with Matilda’s mother at
33a St Giles.
The date of Reginald’s enlistment is not clear but it was probably
late in 1915 or early 1916. He seems to have been first in the Ox &
Bucks Light Infantry, before joining the 2nd Battalion, Royal
Warwickshire Regiment. He was reported missing on 3rd September
1916, in the fighting on the Somme. His body was never found and his
name is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial to the missing. He
died on the same day as two other St Giles’ men – Frederick Hastings
and Frederick Skinner.
It is poignant to read in the Parish Magazine of the baptism, in
November 1916, of Reginald and Matilda’s second son named Jack
Ronald. The baby had been born on 6th October 1916, a month after
his father’s death. Both sons grew up and married in Oxford in the
1940’s. It is believed that Jack Ronald was a boy chorister in St Giles’
Choir.
HARRY WILLIAM ROBINSON was born in Oxford in 1886. He was the
eldest in Mr and Mrs T W Robinson’s family of five children. Mr
Robinson was a schoolteacher and from 1895 was Principal of Bedford
House School at 122 Walton Street, living with his family next door to
the school at number 123 (now the Co-op). Harry had been educated
at his father’s school and became a clerk in Gillett’s Bank (subsequently
absorbed by Barclays), probably at the main Cornmarket branch, and
was living at the family home in Walton Street in early 1914. He was a
keen oarsman and was a member of the Neptune Rowing Club in 1906,
representing the club in the city bumping races from 1906 to 1914. He
also played for the United Oxford Banks Football Club.

13
Harry was married to Marjorie Gertrude Louise Bridgewater in St
Mary & St John, Cowley on 19th December 1914. On the marriage
certificate he is described as a “bank clerk”, although he must have
been on the point of enlisting, if not actually already enrolled in the Ox
& Bucks Light Infantry - he had been a sergeant in the Territorials
before the War. After training he was sent to France in March 1915
with the 1st/4th Battalion and was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant in April.
He was wounded near Ypres in November 1915 but was back in
the front line by March 1916. He was again badly wounded, having his
right arm shattered, at Delville Wood on 25th August 1916. The Battle
of Delville Wood was one of the bloodiest confrontations on the
Somme, with heavy casualties on both sides. The Oxford Times of 30th
September 1916 reported his return to Somerville Hospital in Oxford.
Harry recovered sufficiently to remain in the army but not on the front
line. He was stationed at Cowley Barracks, attached to the Labour
Corps, and was gazetted Captain and then Major while serving in
Oxford. He died at Somerville Hospital on 9th
November 1918, two days before the
Armistice, from influenza followed by
pneumonia. The Oxford Times and The Oxford
Illustrated Journal both reported on his full
military funeral, at which there was an
impressive procession from the hospital to the
burial in the War Cemetery in Botley, with
many family and military mourners. The Parish
Magazine of December 1918 carried a sad obituary note.
Administration of Harry’s will was given to his widow, then living at 4
Holyoake Terrace, London Road in Headington, on 23rd January 1919.
The couple had no children and Marjorie remarried in 1921.
The Parish Magazine refers not only to Harry’s death but also to
the deaths of other members of the congregation, including wives of
three men serving at the front, in the 1918-19 influenza epidemic. The
world-wide pandemic, the so-called “Spanish Flu”, began during the
last months of the war in 1918 and continued until 1919/20, killing
more than 30 million people round the world – more than all the
casualties of the Great War itself.
Alison Bickmore
(All the illustrations are from The Oxford Illustrated Journal)

14
WANTED! WANTED! WANTED!
th th
St Giles’ Fair, Monday 4 and Tuesday 5 September 2017
Helpers are needed to welcome Fair Goers into St Giles’ – please sign
up on the sheets at the back of the church.
Ride and Stride, Saturday 9th September; and
Oxford Open Doors, Saturday 9th and Sunday 10th September
We need people to be on hand in the church for these two worthwhile
and enjoyable events – please see the notices with information on how
you can help.
__________________________________________________________
FROM ST GILES’ PARISH REGISTERS
Wedding
st
1 July 2017 Christopher Skerry and Louise Cummins
Funerals
15th June 2017 Susan Greenway, aged 78
12th July 2017 Margaret Bell, aged 95
th
17 July 2017 Elizabeth “Norma” Lamberstock, aged 87
20th July 2017 Sarah McManners, aged 97
_________________________________________________________
FLOWERS IN CHURCH

F LOWERS always brighten the
church and can be a way of
celebrating anniversaries and
events, or a way of remembering
family and friends. If you would like
to make a donation for a flower
arrangement in church to
commemorate a particular event,
please let me know. The names of
those being remembered, or the
event being commemorated, can be
placed in the pew notes. I can be
contacted by email -
stgilesflowers@gmail.com - or give
details to one of the Churchwardens. Please give at least two weeks’
notice so that I can make the necessary arrangements. Mary Whitlock

15
POTTERY DEMONSTRATION AND TALK ORGANISED BY
THE COUNCIL OF CHRISTIANS AND JEWS - 26th JUNE 2017

T HE Council of Christians and Jews (CCJ) was founded by Chief Rabbi
Joseph H Hertz and Archbishop William Temple in 1942. CCJ is a
national forum for Christian-Jewish engagement, with this engagement
taking place at the local branch level in a fourfold manner:
 celebrating the history and diversity of both communities;
 facilitating constructive dialogue;
 enabling meaningful learning experiences; and
 providing opportunities for transformative change.
St Giles’ Church was pleased to host a Pottery Demonstration by
Yarnton-based potter Andrew Hazelden. This was organised by the CCJ
and was a welcome opportunity to share an enjoyable evening
together, in a relaxed
atmosphere in the
church. The evening
began with an
informative and enter-
taining talk, and
projector show, of the
basic history of tin-glaze
earthenware, of which
Andrew is an accomplished practitioner.
Admiration of Chinese porcelain inspired the 9 th century potters
of Mesopotamia to develop a process (tin oxide is used as an opacifier
to make the glaze on the pot white) of imitating the effect of porcelain.
Further developments included the use of copper to create the
distinctive lustre found on earthenware and tin-glaze objects from
Egypt to Spain - both in Moorish and Re-conquest times.
Ashmolean Museum
The Ashmolean has a fine collection of Italian Maiolica – tin-glaze
pottery which flourished in the 15th century in Italy and spread to all
parts of Europe, notably the famous Delftware of the Netherlands in
the 17th-18th centuries. The museum also has a fine collection of 19th
century Arts and Crafts inspired Lustreware, particularly by William de
Morgan.

16
Symbolism
Andrew ran through the many uses, shapes and functions of these
objects - many are highly decorative as well as eminently practical, some
have a completely secular outlook (some eye-watering examples in the
Italian Maiolica collection in the Ashmolean), and the religious examples
also use symbols from diverse cultures in their designs.
The Potter - Andrew Hazelden
After the talk Andrew produced a beautifully shaped bowl in the
familiar manner that we may have all seen on screen. It was a privilege
to see the intensity, concentration and physical control that go into
producing an object that has retained its basic shape and function over
millennia. Andrew brought a fine selection of his work to show us, and
his workshop is available for visits by appointment:

Yarnton Pottery, 156 Cassington Road, Yarnton, Oxfordshire, OX5 1QB
01865 371376/07763 810695. www.yarntonpottery.net
Many thanks to CCJ and Andrew Hazelden for this inspiring event.
Maureen Chu
__________________________________________________________
THE ART OF FAITH

I T WAS appropriate that St Giles church should have been approached
about hosting an exhibition of paintings by Eularia Clarke (1914-70).
She’d been born into a family with a good many local academic, musical
and art connections; her parents had been married here in 1912; she had
read theology at St Anne’s and taken classes in figure drawing at the
Ruskin under Gilbert Spencer, Stanley’s brother.

17
A couple of her works, Storm over the Lake and Feeding the 5000,
had been included with others from the Methodist Collection of
Christian Art in one of our earliest
exhibitions almost 30 years ago. This
time they returned as copies among the
32 hung here while a further 10 at the
Oratory related to her adoption of
Roman Catholicism. Six more at the
Friends’ Meeting House recalled her
interest in the work of the Quakers.
Undaunted by the challenge of three
venues, Rebecca Sherlaw Johnson,
Eularia’s granddaughter, completed their hanging in one morning! To us,
the challenge was the extended opening, 12-6, Monday to Saturday, but
all went well and the remarkable weather meant that all four porch
doors could be open, attracting several who had passed by but never
been in and others who had heard after-school music training in
progress. Many of these stayed to look round.
Knowing Andrew’s carpentry skills it was no surprise that he
should have chosen Chairs to Mend (under the sign Joseph & Son) to
illustrate a sermon - salvage, repair,
reconstruct. Later, at the Day of
Reflection led by Revd Georgie Simpson
and Revd David Meahy, we heard that it
had been Eularia’s response to the work
of Winchester’s Roman Catholic priests
amongst ex-prisoners around the time of
her conversion. Attention was drawn to
light streaming from Christ’s hand
(Storm over the Lake; Into Deep Water),
to Mary Magdalen’s tears, to compassion of friends (Hole in the Roof).
The prominent sleeping donkey in Christmas Gospel was explained – and
I finally spotted Joseph. Do have another look – they’re all on the
website www.eulariaclarke.com (appearing much brighter than actually
are). Or ‘read all about it’ in Rebecca’s biography which she launched
with a tea-talk during the exhibition (Eularia Clarke: Painter of Religion.
Amazon, £14.99). Margaret Williamson

18
100 Years Ago – St Giles’ Parish Magazine, August 1917
Sunday School Treat: We were fortunate in having a very beautiful day
for our Sunday School Treat on July 12th. The children assembled in the
Parish Room at 5.30, and went at once to the Observatory field, where,
by kind permission of Dr Rambaut1, the treat was held. A game of
cricket and sports were much appreciated, and the prizes were
distributed in the Parish Room as a conclusion. Owing to the
restrictions imposed by the Food Controller, no tea was provided, but
the treat was entirely successful in spite of this omission.
The Churchyard: We are anxious to improve and beautify the
Churchyard, so that it may give pleasure to all who see it, both to those
who live near it and to those who pass by. A small Committee has been
appointed by the Parochial Church Council with this object in view. We
shall be glad to hear from any one who can spare any flowering shrubs or
free-growing roses which might be planted in the Churchyard.

50 Years Ago – St Giles’ Parish Magazine, August 1967
Vicar’s Notes: Many of you will remember the Church Council deciding
to renew the Great and Choir organs at a cost of some £950. Of course
the estimate of cost was less by some £140 than we shall have in fact
to pay, but this was foreseen by the firm who did the work and their
anticipated increase was necessary because of a wage award to their
workpeople before the “freeze”. We are in the fortunate position of
being able to use various bequests to pay for the greater part of this
work. The generous legacy of Lady Chalmers - £500, £210 from Mrs
Bowman’s executors, and £176 from Miss Andrew’s bequest will
commemorate these ladies and their generosity to St Giles’ and give us
a very fine instrument fit for recital work as well as the accompaniment
of our services – its primary duty.
PCC: The PCC passed a resolution to apply for a faculty to accept the
oak pews of St Peter’s in the East, together with three Jacobean stand
chairs to replace the present pews in St Giles’.

1
Arthur Alcock Rambaut (1859-1923) was an Irish astronomer. In 1897, he became
Radcliffe Observer in the University of Oxford, and was succeeded by Charles Jasper
Joly. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1900 and served twice on the
committee of the Royal Astronomical Society.

19
DATES FOR YOUR DIARY
Thursday 3rd August
3:00 pm Funeral of Dennis Shaw at Oxford Crematorium

Sunday 6th August The Transfiguration of Our Lord

Sunday 13th August The 9th Sunday after Trinity

Tuesday 15th August The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
9:00 am Eucharist at St Margaret’s
8:00 pm Eucharist with hymns at St Margaret’s

Sunday 20th August The 10th Sunday after Trinity

Sunday 27th August The 11th Sunday after Trinity

Monday 28th August St Augustine, Bishop of Hippo, 430
Bank Holiday

Friday 1st September St Giles’ of Provence, Hermit, c 710

Sunday 3rd Sept The 12th Sunday after Trinity
10:30 am Patronal Festival service

Monday 4th Sept St Birinus, Bishop of Dorchester, 650
St Giles’ Fair

Tuesday 5th Sept
St Giles’ Fair

Sunday Readings at 10:30 am Holy Communion
6th August 2017 (The Transfiguration of Our Lord)
Daniel 7:9-10, 13-14; Psalm 97; 2 Peter 1:16-19; Luke 9:28-36
13th August 2017 (The Thirteenth Sunday after Trinity)
1 Kings 19:9-18; Psalm 85:8-13; Romans 10:5-15; Matthew 14:22-33
20th August 2017 (The Tenth Sunday after Trinity)
Isaiah 56:1, 6-8; Psalm 67; Romans 11:1-2a, 29-32; Matthew 15:21-28
27th August 2017 (The Eleventh Sunday after Trinity)
Isaiah 51:1-6; Psalm 138; Romans 12:1-8; Matthew 16:13-20

20