You are on page 1of 19

EIGHTEENTH CONGRESS OF GRADUATE STUDENTS

Regular Assembly Meeting


COGS Assembly Room
Room, 250 Student Life Building
August 13, 2010
6:30 p.m.

Agend a

Call to Order

Pledge of Allegiance

Roll Call

Approval of the Minutes from Aug 2nd, 2010

Messages from Student Government

Student Comments

Special Introductions
• Vicky Dobiyanski - Director of Student Affairs
• Leslie Sacher – Thagard Student Health Center

The Report of the Speaker


• Volunteers needed for New Graduate Student Orientation on Tuesday August 17, 2010
• Bill 40 and Associate General Counsel
• COGS and Social Networking

The Report of the Deputy Speaker for Finance

Committee Report
CSAC Report
• Ways & Means
• Academics & Student Life
• Internal Affairs

Funding Requests
• World Affairs Program (WAP)- Bill 41 heard on petition: an allocation of $6,514 from COGS Unallocated to fund
travel and associated fees for competitions
• Neuroscience Graduate Student Organization – Bill 42

Old Business
• Bill 33- Withdrawn
• Bill 39- Sponsored by Representative Arispe: Amendment Preserving Representation

New Business
• Resolution 9 – Health Insurance Policies

Roundtable

Final Roll Call

Adjournment

Next Meeting
• Monday September 13th, 2010 at 6:30PM in the COGS Chambers

2
Report of the Deputy Speaker for Finance
18th Congress of Graduate Students
August 16, 2010

 COGS Administrative $112,899.68

 COGS Unallocated $37,366.00

 COGS Organizational Support $5,000.00

 COGS Presentation Grants Left for year - $126,565.78


 Carry Forward - $21,200 with
 $14,777.00 encumbered
 $6,279.30 paid
 $143.70 being held for Sweepings
 July-October $60,000.00
 $32,834.04 encumbered
 $600 paid
 $26,565,78 remaining
 Nov-Feb - $70,000.00
 Mar-Jun - $30,000.00

 COGS Conference Travel Left for year - $19,500.00


 Carry Forward $ $3,300.00
 $3,100.00 encumbered
 $200 paid
 July-October $ 8,000.00
 $500.00 encumbered
 Nov-Feb - $7,000.00
 Mar-Jun - $5,000.00

3
EIGHTEENTH CONGRESS OF GRADUATE STUDENTS

MINUTES OF THE REGULAR SESSION


COGS Assembly Room
Room, 250 Student Life Building
August 2, 2010
6:35 p.m.

REPRESENTATIVES PRESENT: Blair, Englehardt, Fluegel, Glazier, Grimes, Iniguez, Johnson, Lieberwirth,
Manojlovic, Metka, Myers, Straub, Warren, Weber, Worrall

QUORUM: Yes.

PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE:

REPRESENTATIVES LEFT EARLY, EXCUSED: Myers

REPRESENTATIVES LEFT EARLY, UNEXCUSED:

REPRESENTATIVES ABSENT, EXCUSED:

REPRESENATIVES ABSENT, UNEXCUSED:

REPRESENTATIVES LATE, EXCUSED: Tazaz

MINUTES APPROVED:
July 12, 2010 – Approved excepting the attendance.

PETITIONED IN:
• Dominick J. Ardis – College of Social Sciences

SPEAKER’S REPORT:
• Volunteers are needed for the New Graduate Student Orientation on Tuesday August 17, 2010
o Sign-up sheet is in the back of the room
o Two shifts – 11am-1pm and 1pm-3pm.
• Events for Graduate Students with Families at the REZ on October 5, 2010
o Going to have a carnival-type event
o Starting around 4:30 pm; many of the specifics are being shored up.
• Thesis/Dissertation formatting center concept
o Joint project with COGS, FSU Libraries/Tutoring Center, and the Graduate School
o There is currently an issue with thesis and dissertation clearance; formatting issues are
holding up graduations and other things. Dean Marcus thought we might be able to set up a
resource to help people get their formatting fixed.
o Talking with the library to do it jointly.

DEPUTY SPEAKER FOR FINANCE’S REPORT:


• COGS Administrative: $112,064.00
• COGS Unallocated: $37,366.00
• COGS Presentation Grants: Left for July-October - $29,499.82
o Carry Forward $0.00
o July-October $0.00
o November-February $0.00
o March-June $0.00

4
• COGS Conference Travel: Left for July-October - $7,500.00
o Carry Forward $0.00
o July-October $0.00
o November-February $0.00
o March-June $0.00

COMMITTEE REPORTS:
• C-SAC
o Has not received any requests.
• Ways & Means
o Has not met since last meeting.
o Next meeting probably in September
• Academics & Student Life
o Currently looking into the enforcement of the health insurance requirement and how that
affects students
o Also looking at the thesis & dissertation publishing requirements.
• Internal Affairs
o Have not met but will be this month.

FUNDING REQUESTS:
• World Affairs Program
o Opening
 FSU WAP requested $6514 for travel for graduate students.
 WAP is involved in International Crisis Debate and Model United Nations.
 Getting some limited funding from alumni of WAP (this is the program’s 25th year)
 Have some funding through Student Affairs and SGA.
 Funding being asked for is entirely for graduate students.
o Questions
 Straub – How many graduate students are involved in the program?
• It’s hard to say; names in bold in the packet (8) are returning for this year.
• Have not started recruiting for this year.
 Tazaz – For the conference you are hosting in August, are you planning on charging
fees for those students?
• We are not allowed to charge fees.
 Johnson – You don’t know exactly how many grad students you have, however, you
say that the funding we supply you is going to graduate students. But you’re
charging people fees to travel?
• We charge undergraduate students fees but not the graduate students.
 Ardis – Currently you only have 2-6 graduate students. For people to enter your
program, do people have to transition from undergrad to grad?
• No, we hold tryouts for all students, both grad and undergraduate.
 Ardis – If we allocate the money and graduate students do not make the team, what
will happen to the money?
• We hold slots open for graduate students exclusively.
 Johnson – Stuck on the “this is just money for graduate students.” How are the
undergraduate students getting funding to travel?
• We got funding from SAP but it was a very decreased amount from last
year. That money will go towards undergraduate travel fees.
 Johnson – Is it possible that we can get a list or the actual number of undergrads
that you take on each trip? I feel uncomfortable with not having the actual numbers.
• We can provide a list of people who have participated in the past, but we
don’t know how many people we will be sending on these trips until we
know how much funding we have.
 Glazier moved to extend questions by 5 minutes. Second. No objection. Passed.

5
 Leiberwirth – Right now, our grant programs only fund people to attend two
conferences each year with other grant programs. With this request, a talented
student could get COGS funding for six conferences. Is there any way to limit this?
• Yes, we do have an A-Team and a B-Team so that more people get to go to
more conferences.
• But we still must take the best team we possibly can so some people may
go to six conferences.
 Tazaz – Do all of the officers attend all of the conferences?
• No.
 Tazaz – But you (President) will attend nearly all of them?
• Yes.
 Tazaz – So Leiberwirth’s question about one graduate student attending six
conferences will happen?
• Possibly. At least one officer must attend each conference.
 Ardis – Have you developed a system of recruitment to target graduate students?
• No, we have not developed a specific system. We are relying mostly on
word of mouth but we will be working on a system.
 Blair moved to extend questions by 2 minutes. Second. No objection. Passed.
 Tazaz – So these spots do not include the officer spots?
• They can or they can’t.
 Tazaz – If you’re limiting spots for grad students in the conference, are you
automatically one of the grad students? So are your fees included in this budget?
• If there are more than one other grad students, President would move to
one of the non-COGS funded spots.
 Blair moved to extend questions by 10 minutes. Second. No objection. Passed.
 Worrall – Where did you come up with the numbers for parking and transit?
• Debate over the number ensued.
 Blair – Tryout process. If we paid for two graduate students, you said you’d reserve
spots for two graduate students to go. Would you still give grad students favoritism
because they’ve already been paid even if there are better undergraduates?
• Yes, unfortunately, we would give them priority because of the budget
situation.
 Worrall – Have you considered that perhaps the airfare for some of the later
conferences may get cheaper the nearer we get to the conferences?
• These are the numbers from last year; obviously we can’t give you exact
quotes for March and April at this point.
 Ardis – What dates are these fall conferences?
• NCSC is October 31, UPMUNC is two weeks later, and SMRUN is three
weeks after NCSC.
 Ardis – Will you all be drafting a new budget for this year that we can actually see at
a later date if possible?
• Yes, if you want that data.
 Englehardt – Why are you not charging graduate students travel fees?
• We thought it would make the request more appealing to graduate students.
 Tazaz – Have you thought about asking past alumni to donate frequent flier miles
instead of money?
• No, we had not considered that.
 Ardis – How do tryouts work?
• Tryouts happen one to two weeks before the conference.
 Tazaz – How do you book airfares on that short notice?
• Can book it as group reservations and then change it up to 48 hours in
advance.
o Pro
 None.
o Con

6
 Glazier – No denying that this is meritorious but it is like the service request. Very
concerned with opening the floodgates of travel requests if we fund it in this way.
Would be open to working with WAP to ensure that funding comes through in a way
similar to the grant program, with a max of $300/$100 and two funding requests per
student.
 Englehardt – Agreed with Glazier; don’t know how many grad students will benefit or
the true costs. If the grad students pay to help defray the costs, it will help offset our
money.
 Straub – This would come out of unallocated instead of travel lines; would rather it
come out of travel money.
 Grimes – Would not sign this as a presentation grant, as no research is being done.
ACS grant may not apply either.
o Blair moved to amend the request to $2350. Second. Objection.
 Asking for $6500. Taking out the $1800 if charging $100 per graduate student =
$4700. Divide in half for the fall is $2350 to see how the program works.
 Questions
• None
 Pro
• Worrall – Had a slightly different number but likes that we’re funding the one
semester. Good idea.
• Johnson – Agrees with Blair. This year, for the spring semester, the
organization should think about ways to increase fundraising efforts.
• Ardis – Agrees that this is definitely a great program; we should think about
some other ways that they should fundraise.
 Con
• Tazaz – All for giving them money, but again, this is the beginning of the
year. Even with split in half, we’re giving them 6% of unallocated for less
than 1% of the total student population. If we fund in spring, that will be 12-
15% of our budget. Not for funding them at 6%.
• Englehardt – Agrees with Tazaz; has a problem with the number of graduate
students here.
• Manojlovic – Reducing the funding wouldn’t matter if you still have the same
lack of funding from other sources.
 Pro
• Worrall – Thinks that if we can approve or not approve the reduced funding
amount that would be a more constructive debate.
 Glazier moved to call the question. Second. No objection.
 Closing
• The reason for dividing this in half and funding only this semester gives
them the majority of the semester to do some fundraising and use the tips
that our representatives have given them. The goal is that the spring
number would not be another $2350.
• This is 6% of our unallocated for less than 1% of the student body, but there
is an enormous indirect impact for WAP representing the university well
outside of the state.
 Amendment to change funding to $2350 passes 8-7, with 1 abstention.
o Pro
 None
o Con
 Glazier – Still thinks we need to avoid turning into RTC. This still runs a large risk of
a graduate student going on multiple trips.
 Ardis – Agrees with Blair’s amendment to reduce funding but wants to see some
clear budgeting on what this money is actually being spent money for.
o Blair moved to add proviso language to the bill saying that one WAP member cannot receive
COGS funding for more than two trips from this allocation. Second. No objection.

7
o Johnson moved to add proviso language to the bill prohibiting funding travel for WAP
officers. Second. Objection.
 Opening
• This is not personal at all, but I feel like that since the officers are going on
every trip regardless, the other participants need that funding even more.
 Questions
• Fluegel – With the previous amendment we can only pay for two regardless,
correct?
o Correct.
• Blair – Do you as an officer participate in these competitions?
o Yes, officers participate.
o A motion was made for a 5-minute recess. Second. No objection.
o Meeting reconvened at 8:20pm.
 Johnson withdrew her amendment.
o Glazier moved to table this bill to an ad-hoc committee composed of Glazier, Leiberwirth,
Johnson, Englehardt, Ardis, Grimes, Straub, and other interested parties. Second.
Objection.
 Purpose
• Doesn’t really fall under any of our standing committees; it crosses over with
all three. This avoids the problems with committee quorums we are having.
 Pro
• Englehardt – This is a great idea and glad to be a part of it.
• Ardis – Happy to serve, would be nice if we had a clear goal
• Fluegel – Good idea before we make major changes to our processes.
 Con
• Blair – Thinks that this bill would be best dealt with in the Ways & Means
Committee; our committee does not have a problem meeting quorum and is
experienced in dealing with these matters. List of the ad-hoc committee
members are on the W&M Committee anyways.
 Leiberwirth called the question. Second. Objection. Withdrawn.
 Blair moved to amend to give this to the Ways & Means Committee. Second. No
objection.
 Blair moved to call the question. Second. No objection.
o Bill 41 referred to the W&M Committee, and for the purpose of discussion of Bill 41, all
interested W&M members are given a voice and a vote.

OLD BUSINESS:
• Bill 33 – Revision of Apportionment of Representatives to the Congress
o Sponsored by Representative Straub
o Withdrawn by the sponsor.

NEW BUSINESS:
• Bill 39 – Amendment Preserving Representation
o Sponsored by Representative Arispe
o Arispe is not in attendance so this bill is tabled to the next meeting.
• Bill 40 – Reforming the COGS Non-Discrimination Policies
o Sponsored by Representative Grimes. Deputy Blair chaired the debate.
o Opening
 Supreme Court handed down an opinion (Christian Legal Society v. Martinez) where
they specifically talk about RSOs and non-discrimination policies. This bill
essentially implements their decision.
 The Court said they will not look at policies which enumerate the types of
discrimination prohibited, but they will allow student governments to fund solely
based on open access policies.

8
 This creates an open access, open opportunity policy. If you take money from
COGS, you have to let everybody in.
 The bill has a nine-week implementation window; that nine weeks is to give us
enough time to put a compliance guide together for honor societies and competitive
teams to set up a separate RSO to get funding.
o Questions
 Tazaz – Maybe I’m totally misunderstanding this, but if this is approved, I could join
a guy fraternity?
• If they want funding, then yes, they would have to let you in.
 Ardis – Organizations could set up RSOs; is there anything here preventing them
from appearing discriminatory with a name?
• They absolutely could, and the problem with trying to limit that is that we get
into censorship. This does not get into that at all.
 Tazaz – The secondary RSO, would that be for organizations that want to
discriminate?
• No one is required to do anything that would cause them to discriminate.
 Worrall – If there was an organization restricting membership to a specific college or
department, would that violate this code?
• Yes. Want to try to treat everyone about as equally as possible.
 Englehardt – Do you know how many organizations would be affected by this?
• 8 in the law school
 Fluegel – Concerned about the honors programs; they will simply not want everyone
to be able to join. Any way to discriminate on GPA?
• Membership is supposed to be open to everybody.
 Glazier – Would this stop organizations who have already been allocated money
from spending that money?
• Yes, after the nine weeks unless the money is already encumbered.
 Manojlovic – Isn’t there a risk of some of these secondary groups just getting the
money and not using it on the people in that group?
• The people in the neglected group would be able to run for officership in that
group to stop this, but there’s really no other way to stop that.
 Lieberwirth – If they don’t advertise this second RSO, they could have the exact
same executive board.
• We have this same problem now.
 Glazier – Is this modeled on the Hastings Law School policy?
• Yes.
o Pro
 Johnson – Wants to point out that this open-access policy is nothing new; this is
something that libraries and historical societies have a secondary group like Friends
of the Library for people who want to get involved but are not working for local
government. Have found that these organizations are very effective in programming
and funding because of the tax cuts in libraries. For the sake of access, this policy
should be implemented.
o Con
 Glazier – Concerned about the implementation time. Also concerned that we are
going to have fights with Senate and General Counsel about this.
 Manojlovic – We are technically discriminating because we are a graduate student
organization.
 Straub – In some way, there are groups that exist for a purpose like these
competition groups who have an exclusive policy that requires them to select these
people out. It’s not good to create an RSO to have people to pretty much do
nothing. This isn’t an eloquent solution.
o Pro
 Glazier – Does think that this gets around the obvious problems with the current
nondiscrimination policy.

9
o Con
 Straub – Say we’re talking about WAP again. It is completely unreasonable for them
to have sexual orientation as a reason for them to consider people. But if they have
to admit people into their group, it is based on performance. Money for travel to the
secondary group doesn’t really service those “extra” students.
 Englehardt – Great idea but thinks there will be unforeseen consequences. You can
set up some other RSO that would de facto discriminate.
o Worrall moved to amend 201.3(A)(B)(2) to add language to the end stating that it is up to the
decision of the Speaker subject to a 2/3 override vote of the body.
 Wants to make it clear to people that there is an appeals process within COGS for
figuring out how things will be funded.
 Questions
• Tazaz – The way I read this bill is that if someone wanted to debate whether
language is discriminatory is that it would go to the Student Supreme Court.
o Grimes – Yes.
 Pro
• Straub – This sufficiently clarifies something that should be clear already.
 Con
• Grimes – My fear is that the Student Supreme Court will read this as
removing them from the determination. Wants to leave it intentionally vague
so that everyone who could enforce it will try to do so. Thinks that this will
drag us down into debates that we don’t want to engage in. Student
Supreme Court is paid and can meet within 24 hour notice. We are neither.
 Pro
• None
 Con
• None
 Grimes moved to call the question. Second. No objection.
 Closing
• Completely understands Grimes’s concerns about not including the Student
Supreme Court in this language, but it is difficult to do so without making
them an extra step of appeal after everyone else instead of an alternative.
 Amendment fails.
o Tazaz moved to call the question. Second. No objection.
o Closing
 Would much rather take a proactive step which is not complete than not move
forward at all. There is always room for improvement. Please don’t quash the entire
bill because it is not perfect.
 There will not be any conflict here with general counsel. The Supreme Court opinion
overrides them.
 Don’t want to see us continue to allow groups to discriminate.
 This is the first bill in a long time which has a sunrise clause. We have nine weeks
to fix these problems.
o Grimes moved to extend the meeting long enough for a vote and roundtable.
o Grimes moved for secret ballot vote. Second. No objection.
o Bill 40 passes.

ROUNDTABLE:
• Ardis – Enjoyed my first meeting with COGS.
• Glazier – Would like to see ad hoc committees start debating legislation, which is why I made the
motion that way in the first place. We apparently need to put procedures in place for this.
• Blair – Would everyone who would like to have been on the ad hoc committee to meet after the
COGS meeting.
• Straub – Was on leave to go to Uganda to do mission work. Boarding passes were lost in
Amsterdam. Got stuck in Amsterdam that night thanks to an airline screw-up; as it turns out, Uganda

10
had been attacked by suicide bombers in the city they were supposed to be in. Should have met up
with one of the people who was killed but was saved due to the mixup.

FINAL ROLL CALL: Ardis, Blair, Englehardt, Fluegel, Glazier, Grimes, Iniguez, Johnson, Lieberwirth,
Manojlovic, Metka, Straub, Tazaz, Warren, Weber, Worrall

ADJOURNMENT: 9:40pm

NEXT MEETING: Monday August 16th at 6:30 PM in the COGS Chambers

11
12
244 Student Life Building Tallahassee, FL 32306-4177 Phone: (850) 644-7166 Fax: (850) 644-1950

The 18th Congress of Graduate Students


BILL 39
Sponsored by Representative Arispe

Amendment Preserving Representation


On August 16th , 2010, the body voted to add Chapter 104 of the COGS Code to allow the seat
occupied by the Cogs Speaker to be made available for another eligible FSU Graduate Student.

Purpose: When a COGS representative is elected to the position of Speaker, that person loses the
ability vote, except in the event of a tie. This results in a diminished level of representation for the
school or group that the speaker elect formerly represented. This amendment will restore this
representation, and maintain the original seat apportionment.

Strikethrough indicates deletions, underlined items are additions.

Section 104.2

H) When a COGS representative is elected Speaker, their seat shall become vacant; this

seat shall then be filled in accordance with chapter 112 of this code.

___________________ __________________________________
David Grimes Joyce Howard
Speaker of the House Director of Student Affairs
___________________ _____________________________
Quinn Straub Mary Coburn
Deputy Speaker for Finance Vice President for Student Affairs

13
BUDGET REQUEST BY THE NEUROSCIENCE GRADUATE STUDENT ASSOCIATION (NGSA)

WHO WE ARE – PURPOSE OF NGSA


NGSA provides an avenue for academic, professional, and social activities to the graduate students in the
interdisciplinary Program in Neuroscience at Florida State University. Our program includes faculty and
students across campus from the departments of Biological Science, Psychology, the College of Medicine,
Institute of Molecular Biophysics, National High Magnetic Field Laboratory, and Mathematics. The
main goals of this organization will be to facilitate academic and professional development of its members,
and to promote collegiality and social interaction among the students and faculty of the Program in
Neuroscience.
BUDGET REQUEST
The presented Budget reflects the budget request for the 2010-2011 fiscal year.
Last year we requested support for the “Rushton Lecture Series.” We seek to expand this successful effort to
our entire line-up of external speakers and Program events.
BENEFITS TO FLORIDA STATE UNIVERSITY FROM THE ACTIVITIES PLANNED BY NGSA
 Direct educational benefit by attending public lectures of invited guest speakers, who are experts in their
field of study. Knowledge acquired during public lectures will enhance research being conducted at FSU and
presented at conferences regionally, across the country, and abroad.
 Foster communication and possible collaborations with other universities.
 Increase collegiality within Neuroscience program, across departments and colleges
TYPE OF EVENTS: All events are open to all (Undergrads, grads, post-docs, and faculty).
ADVERTISEMENT
 Web: http://www.neuro.fsu.edu (go to Quick Links: Current Events Calendar)
 Flyers (Where? Psychology, King, BRF, College of Medicine, BioUnit 1 etc)
 Email distribution list (anybody can be added)
BUDGET
TOTAL EXPENSES REQUEST FROM COGS
Contractual Services
Honorarium 10,700
Expenses
General 6,196
Travel 10,824
Food 9,300 4,150
Clothing/Awards 1,150
TOTAL $38,170 $4,150

OUTLINE OF BUDGET PACKAGE


1. EXTERNAL SPEAKERS
1A. RUSHTON LECTURE SERIES
1B. NEUROSCIENCE COLLOQUIUM SERIES
I. INVITED SPEAKERS
II. DISTINGUISHED GRADUATE
III. JAMES C. SMITH LECTURE

2. GRAD STUDENT DEDICATED EVENTS


2A. BEIDLER AND BERKLEY AWARD LUNCHEON
2B. GRADUATE RESEARCH DAY

14
1. EXTERNAL SPEAKERS
1A. RUSHTON LECTURE SERIES
The Rushton Lectures series is named for the distinguished neuroscientist W.A.H. Rushton, formerly
a regular visitor at FSU. It features internationally prominent neuroscientists in colloquia and/or
symposia. Formal and informal interactions with these internationally recognized experts are an
important part of the Neuroscience Program’s contributions to the academic environment at Florida
State University.
TOPIC AND INVITED SPEAKERS
Friday April 8th and Saturday 9th 2011
Dr. Paul Taghert
Washington University – Circadian Clocks in Drosophila, Live Optical Imaging, Neuronal
Signaling and Neuronal Synchronization
Dr. Paul Hardin
Texas A&M University – Core Circadian Clock in Drosophila, Output Behavior, Olfactory
Circadian Oscillators
Dr. Dough McMahon
Vanderbilt University – Circadian Rhythms in Mice, Real-time Fluorescent Imaging,
Electrophysiology
Dr. David Welsh
UCSD – Circadian Oscillators in Single Cells, Bioluminescence, Electrophysiology
Dr. Karl Obrietan
Ohio State University – Circadian Clocks in Mice, Cellular Signaling, Regulation via microRNAs
Dr. Phyllis Zee
Northwestern University – Circadian Rhythms and Sleep Disorders in Humans, also Mammalian
Systems Including Hamsters and Mice

BUDGET
NUMBER OF
TOTAL EXPENSES REQUEST FROM COGS PARTICIPANTS
Contractual Services
Honorarium 6,000
Expenses
General 1,500
Travel 3,000
Food 5,000 1,300
Breakfast $500 70-100
Coffee Breaks $300 50-150/lecture
Student Lunch $500 50
TOTAL $ 15,500 $ 1,300

15
1B. NEUROSCIENCE COLLOQUIUM SERIES
I. INVITED SPEAKERS
Date Speakers – Fall Semester 2010 Date Speakers – Spring Semester 2011

Sept 1 Dr. Barry Ache Feb 9 Dr. Carel W. Le Roux


Univ. of Florida Imperial College London
-- Department of Medicine
Sept 22 Dr. Peter Hitchock Feb 16 Dr. Mark Baxter
Univ. of Michigan Mt. Sinai School of Medicine
--Dept. of Ophthal.& Visual Sciences
Sept 29 Dr. Barry Knox Mar 2 Dr. Richard Salvi
Univ. of Michigan Univ. of Buffalo
-- Center for Hearing & Deafness
Oct 6 Dr. Thomas Finger Mar 23 Dr. Susan Travers
Univ. of Colorado Ohio State Univ.
-- College of Dentistry, Oral Biology
Section
Oct 13 Dr. Jon Roth
Amylin Pharmaceuticals
Oct 27 Dr. Tim Moran
Johns Hopkins Univ. of Medicine
--Dept. of Psychiatry & Behav. Sci.
Nov 10 Dr. Adrian Raine
Univ. of Pennsylvania
--Dept. of Criminol. Psychia. Psych.
Dec 1 Dr. Ben Strowbridge
Case Western Reserve

Example of Expense from Last Year for One Speaker


Contractual Services (Honorarium) $ 300.00
Expense (based on 2 nights)
General (lodging, per diem) $ 308.00
Travel $ 527.00
TOTAL: $ 1,135.00

BUDGET BASED ON 12 SPEAKERS


NUMBER OF
TOTAL EXPENSES REQUEST FROM COGS PARTICIPANTS
Contractual Services
Honorarium 3,600 80/lecture
Expenses
General 3,696
Travel 6,324
Food 1,200
Lunches 12 x $ 100 15-30/lunch
TOTAL $ 13,620 $ 1,200

16
II. DISTINGUISHED GRADUATE
Former FSU Graduate Student who has become a leader in his field
Dr. Robert Lundy
FSU Ph.D. 1998
Associate Professor University of Louisville School of Medicine

BUDGET
NUMBER OF
TOTAL EXPENSES REQUEST FROM COGS PARTICIPANTS
Contractual Services
Honorarium 300 80
Expenses
General 250
Travel 500
Food Lunch 450 15-30
Award 150
TOTAL $ 1,200 $ 450

III. JAMES C. SMITH LECTURE


Extremely Notable Figure in the Field of Neuroscience
selected by an independent advisory council

Spring 2011, Speaker TBA (selected by advisory board)


Budget
NUMBER OF
TOTAL EXPENSES REQUEST FROM COGS PARTICIPANTS
Contractual Services
Honorarium 500
Expenses
General 450
Travel 500
Food 2,200 450 20-50
TOTAL $ 3,650 $ 450

17
2. GRAD STUDENT DEDICATED EVENTS
2A. BEIDLER AND BERKLEY AWARD LUNCHEON
Awards for most successful 2nd year graduate student
and for student showing greatest creativity in their research

BUDGET
NUMBER OF
TOTAL EXPENSES REQUEST FROM COGS PARTICIPANTS
Contractual Services
Honorarium
Expenses
General
Travel
Food Lunch 450 20-50
Award 1,000
TOTAL $ 1,000 $ 450

2B. GRADUATE RESEARCH DAY


Day of oral and poster presentations—highlighting graduate students research.
Includes presentation by Distinguished Psych Graduate (TBA)
BUDGET
TOTAL EXPENSES REQUEST FROM COGS NUMBER OF
PARTICIPANTS
Contractual Services
Honorarium 300
Expenses
General 300
Travel 500
Food 2,100 Breakfast 300 20-50
TOTAL $ 3,200 $ 300

18
244 Student Life Building Tallahassee, FL 32306-4177 Phone: (850) 644-7166 Fax: (850) 644-1950

The 18th Congress of Graduate Students


Resolution 9
Advocating for Changes in Deadlines for the Health
Insurance Requirement

Sponsored by the Academics & Student Life Committee

WHEREAS, graduate students are required to provide proof of health insurance, and

WHEREAS, proof of insurance is required before registering for classes, and

WHEREAS, early registration may occur as many as five months before the first day of classes, and

WHEREAS, non-university-sponsored policies generally have effective dates no more than 30-75 days after
purchase, and

WHEREAS, the effective date of such policies may not allow graduate students to meet proof of insurance
requirements for early registration, and

WHEREAS, graduate students’ options to purchase non-university-sponsored policies are thus impeded, and

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED BY THE 18th CONGRESS OF GRADUATE STUDENTS, that the


University’s deadline for proof of health insurance should be no earlier than 30 days prior to the first day of
classes.

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED that a copy of this Resolution be sent to University President Dr. Eric J.
Barron, Graduate School Dean Nancy Marcus, and Director Lesley Sacher of the Thagard Student Health
Center.

_______________________ ___ ______________________


David Grimes Quinn Straub
Speaker of the House Deputy Speaker for Finance

19