This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
solemn moral talk; sermon adj. showing little emotion 2. encroach n. severity n. acting as a dictator adj. having an affable manner; carefree v. to trespass or intrude 3. potent v. brag; glory over n. a gentle wind; breeze adj. having great power or physical strength n. moral corruption; badness 4. impolitic v. separate, split adj. improper; unfortunate adj. unwise; imprudent v. to disagree; differ in opinion 5.
frenetic n. unrest; agitation n. thrift; economical use or expenditure adj. frenzied v. to grow together 6. neologism v. to soak or stain; permeate adj. not clear; uncertain n. giving a new meaning to an old word v. to agree without protest 7. tepid adj. having the composition of wood adj. unnecessary; extra adj. of a strange nature; weird adj. lacking warmth, interest, enthusiasm; lukewarm 8. hamper v. interfere with; hinder adj. plausible, but deceptive; apparently, but not actually, true adj. having to do with shepherds or the country v. to make new; renovate 9. callow
adj. sweet-smelling; having the odor of a particular thing adj. unclear or vague adj. solitary adj. being young or immature 10. discerning v. to show sympathy for adj. having great power or physical strength v. to characterize or make as disgraceful adj. distinguishing one thing from another; having good judgment
1. comprise v. include; consist of n. slander; vilify n. collection; heap adj. grave; serious 2. substantive v. muddle; drive crazy adj. expressing praise v. languish, decline; long for, yearn adj. essential; pertaining to the substance
3. epaulet adj. efficient n. appearance; costume n. ornament worn on the shoulder (of a uniform, etc.) adj. expedient; prudent 4. patois v. overstock; fill to excess n. accuse; serve as evidence against n. local or provincial dialect v. move troops so that the battle line is extended at the expense of depth 5. tensile adj. capable of being stretched n. hatred of marriage adj. mutually agreed on; done together adj. verbose; drawn out 6. founder adj. noticeable; targeted for vengeance v. drive our evil spirits v. fail completely; sink adj. lower 7.
whet v. sharpen; stimulate adj. brief; terse n. ability to identify with another's feelings, ideas, etc n. revenging agent 8. finite n. druggist adj. limited n. quality of a musical tone produced by a musical instrument adj. obligatory 9. badger v. pester; annoy n. object to be thrown or projected v. drink (alcoholic beverages) frequently n. malleability; flexibility 10. turncoat n. informal discussion n. circular building or hall covered with a dome v. discourage n. traitor
1. soldier n. increase of amount, size, scope, or the like n. a person engaged in military service v. to rouse to activity or to quickened action n. a settled course or manner of progress 2. commitment adj. intermeddling with what is not one's concern n. an unprincipled politician v. to bring together or give fixed shape to n. the act or process of entrusting or consigning for safe-keeping 3. volatile v. to regain adj. changeable adj. toilsome v. to blend 4. qualify v. to endow or furnish with requisite ability, character, knowledge, skill, or possessions n. a title of Jesus n. a quack n. passion for getting and keeping riches 5.
transition n. passage from one place, condition, or action to another n. a person of rank or importance v. to remove the inhabitants from n. angry or violent difference of opinion 6. devilry v. to deny oneself n. malicious mischief v. to make more sharp, severe, or virulent n. the having, holding, or detention of property in one's power or command 7. mileage n. a distance in miles adj. having six angles v. to introduce, as a fluid, by injection v. to surpass 8. prowess n. the whole range or sequence adj. low-priced n. strength, skill, and intrepidity in battle adj. heedless 9. assassinate
v. to kill, as by surprise or secret assault, especially the killing of some eminent person v. to inoculate with vaccine virus or virus of cowpox n. permanence n. a spiritual advisor 10. generalize n. a person to whom a donation is made v. to draw general inferences n. ease n. a meeting of spirituals for consulting spirits
1. deity n. a god n. a ludicrous and complete failure adj. extravagantly romantic or idealistic; highly impractical n. evenness of temper or mind 2. protuberant n. a superficial appearance or show designed to impress one with superiority n. one who advocates extreme basic changes adj. profuse or generous; given to extravagance adj. bulging or swelling out
3. retrieve v. to make good; to recover adj. sentimental to the point of tears adj. entertaining adj. inclined, through some whim or fancy change the mind, purpose, or actions suddenly 4. dearth n. scarcity v. to punish or criticize severely v. to cause, produce, or stir up adj. habitually fond of associating in a company or herd 5. integrity n. honesty, moral soundness adj. liable to make mistakes or be deceived adj. possessing similar interests and tastes; able to get on well with others adj. very heavy; clumsy 6. delete n. an increase n. an original pattern n. working together secretly for an evil purpose v. to erase or cancel, take out or remove 7.
demagogue n. departure, emigration adj. worldly, as opposed to spiritual; existing for a time only n. a leader who tries to stir the passions of people for his own purposes n. prolonged duration of life 8. mettle adj. sentimental to the point of tears n. a persistent feeling, idea, activity, etc., which dominates a person; the state of being exclusively preoccupied by a fixed idea v. to be sorry for n. disposition; spirit 9. predatory adj. inclined to plunder or rob; preying on, others n. an assumption made for the sake of argument n. confused, unintelligible, meaningless talk; special vocabulary used only by members of a group or trade adj. outstandingly bad 10. dissent n. partiality or preference for; a favorable opinion arrived at beforehand v. to disagree; to differ in opinion v. to banish or exile; to withdraw from one's country n. a relation between two things shown in the resemblance not of the things themselves but of their characteristics
1. clean v. to make pure ad. of or about the system that includes the use of money, credit, investments and banks ad. suffering physically or mentally with a disease or other problem; not in good health v. to take part in; to become a part of 2. reasonable ad. ready to listen to reasons or ideas; not extreme ad. having the color like that made by mixing black and white n. a spending plan v. to bring together a male and a female to create another creature 3. export n. the part behind the front v. to send to another country v. to work toward something; to try ad. important; needing careful consideration 4. throw n. the system of sending and receiving signals or sounds through the air without wires v. to cause to go through the air by a movement of the arm v. to live; to happen n. a small part of an atom that has an electrical force
5. hill v. to fall or let fall; to go lower n. a large object in space that orbits the sun n. work done to fix something n. a small mountain 6. hair n. the smaller of the two groups in the governments of some countries, such as in the United States Congress v. to give as payment; to use n. the fine material that grows from the skin, especially from the head ad. in what way; to what amount 7. shell n. that which is known; learning or understanding v. to fire artillery v. to make one happy; to give enjoyment ad. moving or working at great speed; quick 8. minister ad. not high or tall; below the normal height n. the offices of an ambassador and his or her assistants v. to permit to do or to be; to make possible n. a member of a cabinet; a high government official
9. escape v. to be; to live v. to get free; to get away from n. the direction in which the sun goes down n. a valuable stone, such as a diamond or emerald 10. education ad. tall; far up ad. quiet; peaceful n. a grain used to make bread; the plant that produces the grain n. the act of teaching
1. adjutant n. staff officer assisting the commander; assistant adj. showing hard work; taking great care n. hostile feeling or intent n. extended line of men or fortifications to prevent access or egress 2. adulation n. narrow neck of land connecting two larger bodies of land adj. every two years n. flattery; admiration
n. calmness; peace 3. addendum n. inscription in memory of a dead person n. harshness; plainness n. addition; appendix to book v. hesitate 4. advent v. bring upon oneself v. approach and speak first to a person n. pride, haughtiness n. arrival 5. addle adj. drowsy; dull n. deceit; duplicity v. hint; imply v. muddle; drive crazy 6. actuarial n. commotion; riot n. soothing or softening remedy adj. calculating; pertaining to insurance statistics n. thrift; economy
7. adjuration adj. exhausting adj. dirty; neglected n. member of the working class n. solemn urging 8. adamant adj. weighty; unwieldy v. equip adj. hard, inflexible adj. outstanding; superior 9. adroit adj. bantering; joking adj. skillful v. make less difficult n. descendants; future generations 10. adverse v. sparkle; flash n. brief explanation of words used in the text adj. unfavorable; hostile v. echo; resound
11. adorn v. leave to someone by means of a will; hand down n. the meat of a deer v. decorate n. statement that looks false but is actually correct; a contradictory statement 12. adjunct n. hermit adj. sleeping; lethargic n. something attached to but holding an inferior position adj. very important 13. adulterate n. seriousness v. make impure by mixing with baser substances v. issue forth n. confusion; strife 14. acuity n. sharpness adj. spread throughout n. kinship n. poverty, misfortune 15.
adherent adj. verbose; drawn out n. supporter; follower adj. conspicuously wicked adj. irreverent 16. admonish n. uprightness v. fret; complain adj. unorthodox; unconventional v. warn; reprove 17. adventitious n. self-control; formal but distant manner v. cut away; trim adj. fleeting; vanishing adj. accidental; casual 18. acumen adj. spotted; stained n. prototype; primitive pattern n. premonition; foreboding n. mental keenness 19. adversary
n. opponent; enemy adj. imagined; unreal n. mass of floating ice adj. wasted away; gaunt 20. adage v. wise saying; proverb adj. pertaining to the people v. follow n. accident
TCS Vocabulary Test (20 Questions)
1. debacle n. breaking up; downfall v. confuse; puzzle v. attribute; ascribe adj. without feeling 2. cauterize n. fitness; talent v. burn with hot iron or caustic adj. not to be taken away; nontransferable n. serious or fatal accident 3. squabble n. small group of persons secretly united to promote their own interests adj. disloyal n. minor quarrel; bickering
v. waste 4. vulpine v. reduce; exhaust n. projection; conjecture n. lavish expenditure; overabundant condition adj. like a fox; crafty 5. hibernate v. sleep throughout the winter adj. deprived of; lacking v. worsen; diminish in value adj. ordinary; unimaginative 6. gambit v. remove (forcible) adj. deserving blame v. abstain from; resist n. chorus n. opening in chess in which a piece is sacrificed 7. metallurgical adj. lustful adj. praising adj. at the point of death adj. pertaining to the art of removing metals from ores 8. maxim n. meeting n. proverb; a truth pithily stated adj. shining; issuing light n. forewarning 9. ephemeral adj. confused; discomposed adj. short-lived; fleeting adj. motionless; stale v. provide a refuge for; hide
10. reparable adj. pertaining to marriage adj. proper; appropriate v. recede; lessen adj. capable of being repaired 11. genre n. particular variety of art or literature n. study of language adj. haphazard; careless n. ungrateful person 12. thrifty n. union; coalition v. dig into adj. careful about money; economical v. equip 13. rote adj. having an evil influence; virulent n. repetition adj. neat and trim n. one who serves for hire (usually used contemptuously) 14. erode n. place of spiritual expiation v. eat away n. excuse n. varying form of an element 15. appreciate v. weaken; sap v. be thankful for; increase in worth adj. reserved or aloof; cold in manner v. quench; sate 16. nutrient adj. concise; meaty
n. nourishing substance adj. secret; mysterious adj. attractive; agreeable 17. finite n. harmless substance prescribed as a dummy pill v. agree v. steal another's ideas and pass them off as one's own adj. limited 18. execrate n. retort; comeback n. boredom; weariness n. something new; newness v. curse; express abhorrence for 19. ogle v. move briskly n. violation of a law; sin v. glance coquettishly at; make eyes at adj. showy; pretentious 20. esteem n. clothing n. violation adj. faultfinding v. respect; value 1. conjugation n. A small cavern. n. The egg of a louse or some other insect. n. The state or condition of being joined together. adj. Affected with a whirling or swimming sensation in the head.
2. recover v. To regain. v. To unite. n. A disturbance or violent agitation. adj. Harsh. 3. pique adj. Created or formed by the imagination. v. To assail with arguments, insinuations, or accusations. n. Sudden invasion. v. To excite a slight degree of anger in. 4. sapid adj. That desires or craves immoderately or unappeasably. adj. Affecting the sense of taste. n. General officer who commands a brigade, ranking between a colonel and a major-general. v. To withdraw from union or association, especially from a political or religious body. 5. granulate n. A name wrongly or mistakenly applied. adj. Characteristic of dwelling in the country. v. To form into grains or small particles. adj. Characteristic of an erudite person. 6.
voracious n. A prophet. n. A coming between. n. Holiness. adj. Eating with greediness or in very large quantities. 7. specialize v. To assume an individual or specific character, or adopt a singular or special course. v. To overwhelm with a flood of water. v. To protect. v. To drive out or away. 8. excretion adj. Capable of being thrust out. n. A sorcerer. adj. Measureless. n. The getting rid of waste matter. 9. plutocracy n. Fitness to meet the requirements of a particular case. n. A wealthy class in a political community who control the government by means of their money. adj. At variance with any commonly accepted doctrine or opinion. n. The power to produce an intended effect as shown in the production of it. 10.
wantonness n. The feudal system. adj. Farthest from the front. n. An artificial trance-sleep. n. Recklessness. 11. prurient n. Sudden invasion. adj. Inclined to lascivious thoughts and desires. n. The sharp striking of one body against another. v. To draw into entanglement, literally or figuratively. 12. illuminate v. To supply with light. adj. Different. v. To keep oneself back (from doing or using something). v. To last longer than. 13. awry ad. Out of the proper form, direction, or position. n. A labyrinth. adj. Impartial. n. Rational self-esteem. 14. counter-claim
n. A cross-demand alleged by a defendant in his favor against the plaintiff. n. That which nourishes. v. To study plant-life. v. To reveal in trust or confidence. 15. peter v. To fail or lose power, efficiency, or value. adj. Ingenuous. adj. That may be allowed. adv. Without intention. 16. ambulance n. A vehicle fitted for conveying the sick and wounded. v. To abandon without regard to the welfare of the abandoned n. Any unsound or delusive mode of reasoning, or anything based on such reasoning. v. To make stale or trite by repetition. 17. inundation adj. Characterized by intelligence. n. A doctrine of creation or of the origin of the universe. n. Inadequacy. n. Flood. 18. imminence
adj. Unreasonable. n. Miscellaneous articles of equipment or adornment. v. To behave ill. n. Impending evil or danger. 19. lough n. The body of men constituting the official advisors of the executive head of a nation. n. A lake or loch. n. The formation of opinions by relying upon reason alone, independently of authority. adj. Yielding to the desires or humor of oneself or those under one's care. 20. discolor v. To give a wrong impression. v. To stain. adj. Formed after one's father's name. n. A representative of one sovereign state at the capital or court of another.
1. celestial adj. pertaining to the sky; heavenly adj. pertaining to the common people; hence, common or vulgar n. a scolding or ill-tempered woman adj. despotic
2. haughty adj. having the force to compel, usually by appealing to reason v. to purify (usually a piece of writing) of offensive material adj. proud; looking down with contempt on others v. to paralyze with horror, fear, or surprise 3. cumbrous v. to express sympathy with another in sorrow, pain, or misfortune adj. untiring adj. working secretly or slyly adj. burdensome and clumsy 4. stoic adj. hating or distrusting mankind adj. ridiculous; producing laughter n. indifferent, calm in bearing pain or pleasure; practising remarkable self-control over emotions v. to publish or proclaim; to spread abroad 5. pecuniary adj. pertaining to money adj. supreme power and authority; independent of the control of any other government adj. exempt from; protected from v. to gain an advantage by the use of trick to evade by the use of deception; to go around
6. glib adj. wise; using or exhibiting good judgment adj. smooth-spoken, fluent adj. cutting, penetrating adj. sociable, courteous, and agreeable in manner 7. exotic adj. strange and foreign adj. unsymmetrical; not straight adj. merciful; gentle adj. continuing a long time; habitual 8. delectable adj. no longer productive; hence, lacking in or, worn out adj. profitable adj. very pleasing n. the reward or punishment exacted for an injury, wickedness, or other action 9. hypothesis v. to banish; to exclude from public favor or privileges n. an assumption made for the sake of argument n. a ludicrous and complete failure n. a. personal peculiarity
10. dissolute adj. harmless; inoffensive adj. living loosely; unrestrained in conduct or morals v. to forgive or overlook (an offense) n. an increase 11. fatuous adj. having a very severe effect, or being extremely limiting n. a skilled storyteller n. general agreement adj. foolish; silly 12. coterie n. an introduction, forerunner, or preliminary step v. to declare positively; to confirm n. a group of people joined by common interests a coterie of select friend. n. an attentive or flattering follower; a country influenced or controlled by another 13. zenith n. the highest point n. temporary deferment or cessation of work or pain; a temporary delay in the execution of -a sentence n. a person who has authority to decide matters in dispute v. to prevent, dispose of, or make unnecessary by appropriate actions
14. ephemeral adj. gloomy; ill-humored n. esteem or influence accorded for recognized achievements or reputation adj. very short-lived adj. likely to occur soon 15. incontrovertible v. to make fun of or copy by imitating adj. sentimental to the point of tears adj. indisputable n. an extreme patriot 16. archetype adj. to belittle or speak slightingly of adj. possessing similar interests and tastes; able to get on well with others v. to pierce through with a pointed instrument n. an original pattern 17. delinquent n. an offender adj. slender; not substantial adj. simple and straightforward; concealing nothing n. an increase 18.
crass v. to disguise or conceal the truth to lie n. a group of people joined by common interests a coterie of select friend. adj. coarse and stupid adj. inflicting, or concerned with, punishment 19. jettison adj. flimsy and cheap n. a false name assumed by a writer v. to throw overboard (as cargo); to throw off (as a burden or something in the way ) adj. fat 20. culpable v. to read carefully v. to tempt by flattery or an attractive offer adj. sick adj. deserving blame or censure
1. apologize n. a grain used to make bread; the plant that produces the grain n. a part of something larger n. the general condition of the body and mind; the condition of being free from sickness or disease
v. to express regret for a mistake or accident for which one accepts responsibility 2. crowd ad. having done something wrong or in violation of a law; responsible for a bad action n. material or facts that prove something; a reason for believing n. a large number of people gathered in one place ad. not common; not usual 3. soil v. to reject; to not accept, give or do something n. a small piece of rock ad. complete or correct in every way; completely right or good n. earth in which plants grow 4. balance n. a strong emotion against someone or something v. to come with something v. to cover with a liquid color; to make a picture with liquid colors v. to make two sides or forces equal 5. fetus n. unborn young v. to say that one has a good feeling toward another because that person did something kind v. to come to be v. to release
6. heart n. pumps blood through the body n. all that which makes one person different from others n. a person who designs engines, machines, roads, bridges or railroads n. the coldest time of year, between autumn and spring 7. stupid n. a part of the female reproductive system where a fetus develops n. a splitting; in atomic fission, the nucleus of an atom is split to produce nuclear energy ad. not able to learn much; not intelligent n. the official center of a government; the city where a country's government is 8. march n. a land area with water all around it v. to free from danger or evil v. to go up; to go higher v. to walk in a group like soldiers; to walk together in a large group to protest about something 9. sister n. a female with the same father or mother as another person v. to speak or add numbers n. that which causes concern, fear, difficulty or problems v. to live through an event, situation or condition
10. moderate n. a narrow way for walking; a way along which something moves v. to offer or propose something to think about or consider n. an examination in a court of a question or dispute to decide if a charge is true ad. not extreme 11. dense n. a thought or picture in the mind; a belief ad. close together; thick n. a period of time equal to twelve months n. an adult female human 12. substance n. the material of which something is made (a solid, liquid or gas) v. to give reasons for; to make clear ad. the most good v. to take quickly by force; to take control of quickly 13. trick n. a thing to sit on; a place to sit or the right to sit there ad. of or about more than one nation or many nations; of the whole world v. to cheat; to fool a person so as to get something or make him or her do something v. to go from one place to another, usually for a long distance
14. quick ad. fast n. the early part of the day, from sunrise until noon n. a food grain ad. only; very shortly before or after the present 15. wheat v. to express happiness or pleasure when someone arrives or something develops n. a grain used to make bread; the plant that produces the grain n. a strong chance of suffering injury, damage or loss n. a valued white metal 16. act v. to take part in; to become a part of v. to study or examine all information about an event, situation or charge; to search for the truth ad. having a large distance between two opposite surfaces; having many parts close together v. to do something 17. sign v. to force a gas or liquid up, into or through ad. on every side (of) n. the ability to control or direct others; control v. to write one's name
18. port n. a large collection of money, jewels or other things of great value n. a city where ships load or unload goods; a place on a coast where ships can be safe from a storm ad. not guilty of a crime; not responsible for a bad action n. an economic system in which the production of most goods and services is owned and operated for profit by private citizens or companies 19. receive v. to give support; to assist n. an amount that is more than is needed; extra v. to get or accept something given, offered or sent ad. each one; all 20. local v. to cause to lose in a battle or struggle ad. about or having to do with one place n. the settlement of an argument where each side agrees to accept less than first demanded n. the money a person or business must pay to the government so the government can provide services
1. allocate v. set aside; designate adj. natural; inborn adj. difficult to please; dainty
adj. unnecessary; extra 2. predecessor v. to turn to bone; to harden n. one who has occupied an office before another n. a purposely misleading statement v. to influence or persuade 3. stigmatize n. an impossible fancy v. to characterize or make as disgraceful adj. having lines or grooves n. the rounded, upward-projecting front of a saddle 4. servile adj. slavish; groveling adj. unimportant; small adj. damp and chilly adj. clever, resourceful 5. earthy adj. unrefined adj. productive n. a word or phrase which reads the same backwards and forwards
n. vileness 6. profound adj. hard to catch adj. deep; knowledgeable adj. being hard to deal with; unsolved situation v. to enfeeble; to wear out 7. kinship v. to blot out; to delete v. to be advantageous; to be necessary n. condition of being physically agitated; disturbance n. family relationship; affinity 8. heresy n. very hard work; intense pain or agony n. opinion contrary to popular belief v. to agree without protest adj. dangerous; harmful 9. circumlocutory n. a rebuke adj. wasteful; lavish adj. being too long, as in a description or expression; a roundabout, indirect, or ungainly way of expressing something
n. disaster 10. jettison v. to throw overboard goods to lighten a vehicle; to discard v. annoy; irritate adj. spread out; verbose (wordy) v. condescend; stoop 11. lucent adj. reflective; contemplative adj. shining; translucent n. violent or unrestrained anger; fury adj. unconcerned 12. relinquish n. the avoiding of a duty v. to build or establish; to instruct and improve the mind n. violent or unrestrained anger; fury v. to let go; abandon 13. effigy v. to increase or add to; to make larger adj. matter-of-fact; practical n. the image or likeness of a person n. appearance, being or manner
14. universal n. A clause stating a condition or stipulation adj. concerning everyone; existing everywhere v. to bicker adj. to the point; clear 15. unequivocal adj. assumed; uncertain adj. clear and unambiguous v. to gradually become less; to grow dim v. to gather up and store; to collect 16. ostentatious adj. various; miscellaneous v. to profane; violate the sanctity of n. a cleft or crack adj. being showy 17. concise adj. in few words; brief v. to put money into a fund at fixed intervals adj. pertaining to the earth n. inflation or extension
18. impasse adj. irrelevant; not related v. to give vent; to inflict n. a situation that has no solution or escape n. violent or unrestrained anger; fury 19. homeostasis n. maintenance of stability v. to give great praise v. to free from confusion n. one who believes that others are motivated entirely by selfishness. 20. protocol adj. being mournful or sad n. an original draft or record of a document adj. giving generously v. to free from guilt 21. gamut n. a large number adj. not easily understood; dark adj. to grow with energy and in great abundance n. a complete range; any complete musical scale 22.
insularity n. having the characteristics of an island n. harshness n. equipment; accessories adj. tastelessly ornamented 23. progeny adj. passionate; intense v. obey; yield to n. children; offspring n. the quality of remaining calm and undisturbed 24. pedantic adj. sweet-smelling; having the odor of a particular thing n. anything of mixed origin adj. mixed with a darker color adj. emphasizing minutiae or form in scholarship or teaching 25. loiter v. to spend time aimlessly n. the parts of entertainment; a plan for dealing with a matter adj. hard to catch v. to blot out; to delete 26. orthodox
n. a strong dislike or repugnance adj. traditional; accepted adj. sticking together; connected adj. pertaining to money 27. contemporary n. failing to meet necessary requirements adj. to be imposing or magnificent adj. living or happening at the same time; modern n. carelessness 28. fluency n. ability to write easily and expressively adj. depending upon another; risky, uncertain adj. lacking warmth, interest, enthusiasm; lukewarm adj. easy to see; noticeable 29. succor adj. hidden; beyond human understanding n. aid; assistance v. to work into gradually and indirectly n. the ability to handle situations with skill and diplomacy 30. traumatic
adj. causing a violent injury n. ceasing to exist as in death v. to force out of hiding; to search for adj. going beyond what is reasonable; excessive 31. facsimile n. copy; reproduction v. to ask earnestly adj. tiresome; ordinary n. a person skilled at telling stories 32. deplete v. to reduce; to empty, exhaust adj. sparing in use of food or drinks adj. optimistic; cheerful adj. arrogant; urgent 33. burgeon v. to grow or develop quickly adj. approving or sanctioning n. a person who does not conform to the norm adj. pompous; wordy 34. lassitude adj. traditional; common
v. to disagree; differ in opinion adj. following as an effect; important n. a state of being tired or listless 35. cogitate n. an absolute monarchy; government where one person holds power ad. wrong; awry adj. too sugary; too sentimental or flattering v. to think hard; ponder 36. compatible adj. in agreement with; harmonious n. act of clarifying; adding details v. to introduce into conversation adj. being mournful or sad 37. unique adj. without equal; incomparable v. to force out of hiding; to search for adj. longing for the past; filled with bittersweet memories adj. not truthful; lying 38. recalcitrant adj. giddiness; lack of seriousness
n. a large tent or covered area, usually used for entertainment adj. stubbornly rebellious adj. royal; grand 39. retroaction n. a reverse action n. appearance adj. tasting sour; harsh in language or temper adj. separate; individually distinct 40. corpulence adj. no longer living or existing n. obesity n. omission of words that would make the meaning clear v. to outline; to describe
1. defeatist adj. resigned to defeat; accepting defeat as a natural outcome n. substance causing vomiting v. degrade; humiliate adj. twisted; with a humorous twist 2. militant adj. bloody
adj. having many talents; capable of working in many fields adj. regretful; sorrowful adj. combative; bellicose 3. toga n. Roman outer robe n. fortress n. pedestal; raised platform adj. after death (as of child born after father's death or book published after author's death) 4. atrophy n. wasting away v. commence; go on board a boat n. study of insects adj. hairy 5. behoove n. armed band v. be suited to; be incumbent upon v. plunder v. show clearly 6. interminable adj. endless
adj. expedient; prudent v. soothe v. arrange (laws, rules) as a code; classify 7. foist v. set free v. lessen in value v. insert improperly; palm off n. imitation of another's style in musical composition or in writing 8. analgesic adj. ghastly n. hermit adj. causing insensitivity to pain n. someone who wastes money 9. exacerbate n. wrong name; incorrect designation n. motion; gesture v. worsen; embitter v. pare; cut off bits 10. braggart v. join together, unite n. boaster
adj. praising n. distance around something; circumference 11. dispel v. make hostile; separate adj. shining adj. played in an abrupt manner; marked by abrupt, sharp sound v. scatter; drive away 12. actuarial n. misgivings n. spur; motive adj. dark; vague adj. calculating; pertaining to insurance statistics 13. parley v. put under a spell; carry away with emotion v. endure the effects of weather or other forces adj. indecent; obscene n. conference 14. aggregate adj. hollow n. excess; overabundance
n. sum; total adj. rosy; optimistic 15. sectarian adj. narrow-minded; limited in scope n. questionable medicine adj. inconspicuous; not blatant adj. truthful 16. disfigure n. missile n. long, eventful journey n. moving force; incentive v. mar the appearance of; spoil 17. baffle v. appease v. related linguistically; allied by blood v. frustrate; perplex n. learned Hindu; any learned person 18. recuperate adj. pertaining to marriage or the matrimonial state v. recover v. to wind or turn in its course
v. ostracize; banish 19. bigotry n. stubborn intolerance adj. sheer; transparent n. food v. enlarge 20. spatula n. broad-bladed instrument used for spreading or mixing n. significance v. deprive of a civil right n. idle person; male bee 21. fulminate v. thunder; explode v. state without proof adj. superficial; not thorough n. person of prominence or influence 22. cohorts n. armed band n. balance; balancing force v. approve; ratify
v. give in; surrender 23. intermittent v. pardon (an offense) adj. moved by sexual love; loving adj. periodic; on and off n. precision; minute distinction 24. runic n. effort; expenditure of much physical work adj. mysterious; set down in an ancient alphabet adj. requiring sitting v. consider; ponder 25. odious n. wild tumult n. subordinate possessions adj. hateful adj. depressed; gloomy 26. philatelist v. pretend; conceal by feigning n. stamp-collector adj. dirty; neglected adj. swift; momentarily brilliant
27. reconcile v. correct inconsistencies; become friendly after a quarrel n. supplicatory prayer v. avoid committing oneself; gain time adj. without feeling 28. redundant adj. superfluous; excessively wordy v. suppress; extinguish adj. deep-rooted; habitual v. bear fruit 29. stilted n. a small allowance or wage adj. poisonous adj. all-powerful adj. bombastic; stiffly pompous 30. temporal adj. not lasting forever; limited by time adj. keen; shrewd v. surrender v. bring upon oneself
31. annihilate adj. causing plague; baneful n. use of force v. destroy adj. profitable 32. discombobulated n. devoutness; reverence for God adj. confused; discomposed ad. apart; reserved adj. pertaining to marriage or the matrimonial state 33. hinterlands n. bundle of stalks of grain; any bundle of things tied together n. back country adj. wild; sensational adj. idealistic but impractical 34. harbinger v. shorten; reduce n. forerunner v. issue forth v. harass, annoy, torment; raid 35.
random v. increase adj. without definite purpose, plan, or aim; haphazard adj. two-chambered, as a legislative body v. move faster 36. faze n. conceit; vanity adj. relating to cooking n. savor; enjoy v. disconcert; dismay 37. satyr adj. naive; young and unsophisticated n. informal discussion n. half-human, half-bestial being in the court of Dionysus, portrayed as wanton and cunning v. work laboriously; make slow painful progress 38. inundate v. overflow; flood n. person concerned with the interrelationship between living organisms and their environment adj. mild; fragrant n. deification; glorification 39.
dawdle n. mixture of writings on various subjects v. loiter; waste time adj. pertaining to a bishop or pope; pompous or pretentious adj. loud and harsh 40. mollify n. mechanism that imitates actions of humans n. prototype; primitive pattern adj. unoriginal; obtained from another source v. soothe
1. insatiable adj. unable to be satisfied v. to banish or exile; to withdraw from one's country v. to check or hinder n. a. personal peculiarity 2. anonymous ad. indicating a happy outcome n. one who denies that God exists adj. of unknown authorship
v. to root out, destroy totally 3. atheist v. to make clear; to explain n. a state of happiness; a high ability v. to smile in a silly or affected way n. one who denies that God exists 4. cogent v. to prevent, dispose of, or make unnecessary by appropriate actions adj. pertaining to the common people; hence, common or vulgar adj. having the force to compel, usually by appealing to reason n. approval; praise 5. apprehensive adj. fearful adj. unable to be satisfied n. working together secretly for an evil purpose adj. foul-smelling; harmful 6. compensation n. payment for services v. to give a false idea of v. to draw out
adj. sacrificing moral principles in order to attain power; politically cunning 7. countenance adj. excessive n. eagerness; cheerful promptness adj. worthy of belief n. a face 8. fictitious n. amazement; lack of courage caused by fearful prospect n. a remedy for all ills adj. unreal; made-up v. to paralyze with horror, fear, or surprise 9. archetype v. to restate in a brief, concise form; to sum up adj. inclined to quarrel; warlike n. an original pattern n. one who proudly shows off his learning or who overrates his knowledge 10. erudite adj. acting solely from a consideration of reward or profit adj. having or containing a lot of specialist knowledge v. to exclaim or utter suddenly adj. moderate in the use of food or drink
11. plagiarism adj. roomy v. to yield; to admit as true n. adopting and reproducing, without acknowledgment, the writings or ideas of another and passing them off as one's own v. to exercise self control; to keep from 12. innuendo n. an indirect reference or suggestion (frequently derogatory) adj. festive; gay adj. having the force to compel, usually by appealing to reason adj. objectionable 13. raconteur n. a little world, or a universe in miniature n. a skilled storyteller adj. profuse or generous; given to extravagance adj. excessive 14. misanthropic adj. deserving blame or censure adj. excessive adj. often of mistakes, extremely and noticeably bad adj. hating or distrusting mankind
15. incisive v. to be sorry for adj. cutting, penetrating adj. inclined to believe anything; easily imposed upon adv. with distrust 16. onus n. nearness adj. gloomy; ill-humored n. boredom; weariness of mind n. burden; duty 17. aesthetic n. compelling a person by physical force or other means to do something against his will n. a branching; sub-division adj. winding; indirect adj. pertaining to the beautiful 18. convivial adj. secret; stealthy n. feeling of displeasure or indignation resulting from mistreatment or abuse adj. swollen, inflated; using big or high-sounding words adj. festive; gay
19. dolorous adj. constantly changing or varying in pattern or scenes n. an indirect reference or suggestion (frequently derogatory) adj. sorrowful; mournful n. a privilege or power attaching to a position 20. culpable adj. deserving blame or censure adj. inclined to believe anything; easily imposed upon v. to quicken, speed tip n. eagerness; cheerful promptness 21. anthology n. an indirect reference or suggestion (frequently derogatory) n. payment for services n. a collection of choice literary works n. one who dabbles in the fine arts for amusement only and without concentrated study 22. promulgate adj. fearful adj. of, or pertaining to, the world, as contrasted with the spirit v. to publish or proclaim; to spread abroad adj. of low morals; corrupt 23.
crass adj. rigorously self-denying adv. with distrust adj. traveling about; wandering adj. coarse and stupid 24. proletariat n. the wage-earning class v. to express sympathy with another in sorrow, pain, or misfortune adj. devoted to religious observances adj. objectionable 25. sleazy n. a cliff n. a distortion of the face to express an attitude or feeling n. one who is at home in all countries adj. flimsy and cheap 26. grimace adj. smooth-spoken, fluent v. to twist about (usually with pain) n. a distortion of the face to express an attitude or feeling v. to express sympathy with another in sorrow, pain, or misfortune 27. exultation
n. faithfulness adj. positive in expressing an opinion n. coward n. great rejoicing 28. bizarre adj. pertaining to money n. an extreme patriot adj. queer; unusual in appearance v. display or wave boastfully 29. ubiquitous v. to postpone or put off to another time adj. all-powerful v. to smile in a silly or affected way adj. existing everywhere 30. exotic adj. strange and foreign v. to walk about (or talk) aimlessly; to wind about (as a stream) adj. pretending to be religious adj. demonstrating originality, skill, or resourcefulness 31. promontory
adj. trembling adj. apparent; pretended n. a cliff n. to interpret, explain the sense of, or analyze 32. hyperbole adj. supreme power and authority; independent of the control of any other government adj. ridiculous; producing laughter n. extravagant exaggeration for effect n. boredom; weariness of mind 33. jettison n. one who proudly shows off his learning or who overrates his knowledge adj. lacking in self-confidence v. to throw overboard (as cargo); to throw off (as a burden or something in the way ) adj. simple and straightforward; concealing nothing 34. blithe adj. gay and light-hearted in spirit or mood adj. sorrowful; mournful adj. of little worth or importance adj. well-deserved (applied chiefly to punishment) 35. benevolent v. to encourage -or support
adj. kindly; charitable n. boredom; weariness of mind adj. genuine 36. fiasco adj. deadly n. a ludicrous and complete failure adj. queer; unusual in appearance n. one who is at home in all countries 37. flaunt v. display or wave boastfully adj. gripping and moving the feelings powerfully; piercing, biting, pointed adj. despotic n. great rejoicing 38. writhe adj. inclined to plunder or rob; preying on, others v. to twist about (usually with pain) n. a. personal peculiarity adj. unrefined in speech or manners 39. ire adj. flimsy and cheap
v. to follow or result n. an assumption made for the sake of argument n. anger 40. hypothesis adj. in an early stage of development n. an assumption made for the sake of argument adj. given to joking or inappropriate gaiety; said in fun adj. given to joking or inappropriate gaiety; said in fun
1. convention n. a collection of recorded music n. any business that produces goods or provides services; the work and related activity in factories and offices n. a large meeting for a special purpose v. to take and hold or to control by force 2. reach n. all the people in a place, city or country conj. equally; when
v. to know what is meant; to have knowledge of v. to put a hand toward; to arrive at 3. there v. to send to another country n. a part of the body that has a special purpose, such as the heart or brain ad. in that place or position; to or toward that place ad. having a small distance between two opposite surfaces; not fat 4. lift n. the force produced when something is pushed down or against something else v. to take or bring up to a higher place or level n. anything on or in which a person or thing can travel or be transported, especially anything on wheels; a car or truck n. the space occupied by something; how long, wide or high something is 5. brief n. a prison for those waiting to be tried for a crime or for those serving sentences for crimes that are not serious v. to move into or be in a position in which only the feet are on a surface; to be in one position or place n. a device of strong, light material that rises when filled with gas lighter than air ad. short; not long 6. tax n. a strong, hard metal used to make machines and tools
n. the money a person or business must pay to the government so the government can provide services v. to use force to move something toward the person or thing using the force; opposite push v. to aim one's finger toward; to aim 7. engineer n. a long written work for reading n. a person who designs engines, machines, roads, bridges or railroads v. to go down quickly; to come down v. to express happiness or pleasure when someone arrives or something develops 8. deaf ad. as much as necessary n. the bright object often seen in the night sky that orbits the earth about every twenty-nine days n. the space above the earth ad. not able to hear 9. work v. to believe, think or imagine; to expect v. to go or come back; to bring, give, take or send back v. to use physical or mental effort to make or do something v. to make known publicly; to declare officially 10. enzyme v. to make something go or move faster
n. the group that includes children and their parents ad. acting safely; with much thought n. a special kind of protein; it produces changes in other substances without being changed itself 11. black ad. not one or the other of two ad. the same in amount, size, weight or value; having the same rights n. the settlement of an argument where each side agrees to accept less than first demanded ad. dark; having the color like that of the night sky 12. wire v. to make sounds to express pleasure or happy feelings n. a thin piece of tissue that sends information through the body to and from the brain n. a long, thin piece of metal used to hang objects or to carry electricity or electronic communications from one place to another pref. for, supporting (pro-labor, pro-government) 13. marry ad. of or about a person or group that is secret; opposite public v. to join a man and woman together as husband and wife; to become husband and wife (usually in a religious or civil ceremony) v. to end (a dispute); to agree about (a problem) v. to make sick with something that causes disease 14. rice
prep. along or by the side of; together n. an opening for entering or leaving a building or room n. a food grain ad. many times 15. program n. a plan of action; the different events or parts of a meeting or show n. the general condition of the body and mind; the condition of being free from sickness or disease v. to come to be n. a white substance found in sea water and in the ground, used to affect the taste of food 16. public v. to separate into two or more parts; to divide or break into parts n. the best; the winner v. to say something or to do something that makes another person angry or dishonored ad. of or about all the people in a community or country; opposite private 17. equal ad. added to; too n. any substance that is not solid or liquid; any substance that burns to provide heat, light or power ad. the same in amount, size, weight or value; having the same rights n. an electronic machine for storing and organizing information, and for communicating with others
18. water n. a creature that lives and can breathe in water n. the liquid that falls from the sky as rain or is found in lakes, rivers and oceans n. what a person legally and morally should be able to do or have n. something round 19. surround ad. not the same v. to form a circle around; to be in positions all around someone or something ad. short; not long prep. for the reason that 20. good n. a device or system for sending sounds, especially the voice, over distances ad. from higher to lower; in a low place ad. away from the inside; opposite of in ad. pleasing; helpful 21. reason n. the cause for a belief or act; purpose ad. smooth; having no high places n. the written record or description of past events; the study of the past n. a device that uses radio signals to learn the position or speed of objects that may be too far away to be seen
22. boat v. to hit again and again n. an organization that keeps and lends money n. something built to travel on water that carries people or goods ad. without delay; very near in time or place 23. root v. to give form to n. the part of a plant that is under the ground and takes nutrients from the soil n. a thin piece of tissue that sends information through the body to and from the brain n. the liquid that falls from the sky as rain or is found in lakes, rivers and oceans 24. best v. to desire; to wish for v. to break into pieces; to end the existence of prep. from a time in the past until now ad. the most good 25. protein n. substances responsible for the growth of tissue and for fixing damaged tissue n. a talk given to a group of people ad. at that time; existing n. something known only to a few and kept from general knowledge 26.
move n. forces, groups or nations joined together n. the movement of people, vehicles or ships along a street, road or waterway v. to change position; to put or keep in motion v. to make a sudden attack 27. bring v. to come with something v. having the power to do something pref. not (dishonest, disobey) n. the general condition of the body and mind; the condition of being free from sickness or disease 28. temperature n. a substance found in nature that is not an animal or a plant, such as coal or salt n. any instrument or device designed to help one do work ad. lost; not found n. the measurement of heat and cold 29. transportation v. to direct and observe the work of others n. the act or business of moving goods or people n. something round ad. separated from others 30.
laser n. an instrument that makes a thin, powerful light n. the group that includes children and their parents ad. like something else but not exactly the same ad. the most important or largest 31. climate v. to make less or smaller in number, size or amount; to cut ad. of or about the energy produced by splitting atoms or bringing them together; of or about weapons that explode by using energy from atoms v. to join a man and woman together as husband and wife; to become husband and wife (usually in a religious or civil ceremony) n. the normal weather conditions of a place 32. push ad. having a small distance between two opposite surfaces; not fat v. to make less in size or amount v. to use force to move something away from the person or thing using the force; opposite pull ad. great in size, importance or amount 33. gray ad. having the color like that made by mixing black and white v. to keep or put away for future use n. a very small town n. the making of sounds by singing or using a musical instrument
34. without v. to cause injury or destruction n. a number of people or things together; a gathering of people working for a common purpose prep. with no; not having or using n. a form of energy that flows through wires to provide heat and light, and power to machines 35. loyal n. a small animal that often lives with humans v. to make better; to become better n. a device that receives electronic signals and makes them into pictures and sounds; the system of sending pictures and sounds by electronic signals over a distance so others can see and hear them on a receiver ad. showing strong friendship and support for someone or something 36. river v. to lose blood n. a large amount of water that flows across land into another river, a lake or an ocean ad. at any time n. the time between when the sun goes down and when it rises, when there is little or no light 37. must v. a word used with an action word to mean necessary ad. not short; measuring from beginning to end
ad. not gentle; causing much pain, sadness or damage v. to control or to restrict freedoms by force 38. apologize n. that which something is known to have or be; amount of value or excellence v. to express regret for a mistake or accident for which one accepts responsibility n. any game or activity of competition involving physical effort or skill v. to discover or learn something by searching or by accident; to decide a court case 39. prize n. a movement; a continuing change of position or place n. something offered or won in a competition; something of value that one must work hard for to get v. to say; to make a statement n. a government lawmaking group 40. tie v. to join or hold together with some material v. to stretch out in area or length; to continue for a longer time v. to make good or right again ad. not able to see