This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Sonny Dyon 215 Summer Place Loop Clermont, FL 34714 630.532.8761 email@example.com
FADE IN: EXT. A NICE NEIGHBORHOOD - NIGHT - (FLASHBACK) SUPER - FOUR YEARS AGO A quiet affluent suburban neighborhood. Nice houses, nice cars, everything fits right into place, from the marble lions guarding the Mercedes in the driveway to the perfectly sculpted shrubbery lining the perfectly sculpted lawns. Everything fits, except for an odd WHITE VAN parked along the side of the street. INT.SURVEILANCE VAN - SAME TIME Two men sit in silence and wait...for something...or someone. The driver dons a ROTO-ROOTER JUMPSUIT. The passenger(POPE) is dressed in a black suit, he clicks his fingers against the dashboard. DRIVER He's out. A MAN DRESSED LIKE A CAT-BURGLAR walks briskly across the lawn and enters the backseat of the car. POPE All set? CAT-BURGLAR The Target was not home. POPE Did you set or not? CAT-BURGLAR Well, yes, but do you still want to go through with this? Only the wife and daughter are home. POPE How unfortunate. POPE, early to late 40's, very mysterious. radio. POPE Light the candle. As the van drives off, in the distance we see a large explosion and a fireball skyrocket in the air. POPE How completely unfortunate. He speaks into a
2. EXT. A NICE NEIGHBORHOOD - SAME The fire rages on. Neighbors scatter outside of their houses.
Burning embers, pieces of what used to be someone's life lay scattered on the lawn, amongst them, a YELLOW RUBBER DUCKIE, BURNING IN THE NIGHT LIGHT. ROLL OPENING CREDITS OVER BURNING SEQUENCE AND CROWD REACTION. A BLACK MAN, dressed in jogging clothes comes running up to the house, he carries a small grocery bag. He sees the fire and drops the bag, running towards his house. Neighbors restrain him as he flails towards the catastrophe. PRESENT DAY INT. THE LITTLE A-LE INN - AFTERNOON Two men sit in a booth. PHIL WISE, late 40's, very average looking, he is a paranoid man who believes he was abducted by aliens. His hobby is U.F.O. investigation. The second man is T.J. MORROW, 28 years old; HE SPORTS A GOATEE AND LONG PORKCHOP SIDEBURNS. He's a bartender by trade, but he also dabbles in U.F.O. investigations. They sit and chat in a restaraunt called "THE LITTLE A-LE INN" located in Rachel, Nevada, 110 miles North of Las Vegas and the closest town to the top secret military base known as AREA 51. PHIL WISE Hey, who knows? It could be bullshit. But this guy has never been wrong. I'd go myself if I weren't working. T.J. MORROW I gotta admit, the thought of getting some film of the Aurora, shit, it's very tempting. It's just so damned risky. Phil takes a sip of his coffee. PHIL WISE You know, T.J., we've been talking about this crap for nearly five years. FIVE YEARS and what do we have to show for it? T.J. motions for him to keep his voice down.
3. PHIL WISE What, do you think these people give a shit? (to the restaraunt) How many people here have actually been in contact with Extra Terrestrials? Over half of the people raise their hands. T.J. MORROW (to the people) Great, thanks. (to Phil) I just wish you were going. Andy and Wayne aren't experienced at this like you. Nobody knows Dreamland like you. Nobody. PHIL WISE Well buddy, you're right. However, I am stuck babysitting the jumbotron. (he sighs) I get the joy of sitting in front of fourteen television sets. I spend ninety percent of my day listening to Telly Savales teaching craps. Phil takes out some notes and hands them to T.J. PHIL WISE Here, this is what I've got on the test. Should be pretty accurate. T.J. MORROW Where do you get this shit? PHIL WISE Buddy, you know I can't share my sources. Let's just say... (singing) I've got friends in low places. T.J.'s watch goes off. T.J. MORROW Alright, I gotta hit it. (pauses) I'm gonna pop the question to Val today before work. Phil starts packing stuff into a briefcase.
4. PHIL WISE (surprised) Really? Well good luck, give me a call if you got any questions or if you get yourself into trouble. T.J. rises to walk out. T.J. MORROW With tonight or with Val? PHIL WISE (smiling) Either way. INT. T.J. MORROW'S HOUSE - LIVING ROOM - WEDNESDAY
An attractive girl, late 20's sings and dances around an ironing board. She wears a short robe and leopard skin house slippers. EXT. T.J. MORROW'S HOUSE - DRIVEWAY - SAME
T.J. sits in his car. T.J. MORROW Darling, I love you and I would love if you would consider spending the rest of your life with a bartender. (he looks at the rear view mirror) Well, that sucked. T.J. exits his car and pulls a jewelry box out of his satchel. He walks up to the front door of the house, talking to himself. T.J. MORROW Baby, let's do it...let's get married. (he sighs) Sweetheart, I love you and I would be honored if you would be my wife... (nods his head) That's good. He walks up to the door and goes to open it. He pounds on the door. It's locked.
VAL ROBERTS answers the door, she wears T.J.'s work shirt, the leopard slippers and that's about it. She grins slyly.
5. T.J. shoves the box in his pocket. T.J. MORROW (Big Bopperish) Hellooooo Babbbbyyyyy. She beckons him with one finger and sachets towards the couch. T.J. MORROW Well, I see someone took her St. John's Wort. She puts one finger over her mouth. VAL ROBERTS Shhhhhh. She pulls him towards her. She reaches to kiss him...
T.J. MORROW (uncomfortable, between kissing) Val... She starts to unbutton his shirt... VAL ROBERTS Yeah babe? T.J. MORROW Sweetie, I need to tell you something. She starts unbuttoning his dress shirt, she pulls one shoulder to the side revealing no bra. VAL ROBERTS It can wait. T.J. MORROW No, I think this is the perfect time. She unbuttons one more button. She smiles seductively.
VAL ROBERTS Teej, it can wait. T.J. MORROW (giving in) Yeah, it can wait. He falls on her onto the couch.
6. EXT. A MILITARY BASE - AREA 51 - AFTERNOON Three men stand outside of a Secret Hangar. POPE; plain and simple, HE'S THE BAD GUY. Late 40's, gray hair lines the sides of his otherwise bald head. He is very confident and very impatient. He does not swear and does not like when people swear around him, he thinks it is beneath him. AGENT PROVO; late 30's, he's extremely dedicated, very WHITE, well spoken and he understands his role as Pope's lacky. AGENT YORK; late 20's, he is new to this assignment, he is eager to impress Pope and hoping to replace Provo as his "right hand man." He comes off kind of TOO gung-ho. POPE Are we prepared for the Congressman's visit? AGENT PROVO Of course sir. AGENT YORK Everything is green to go. POPE Excellent. This little test of ours tonight could bring us several BILLION dollars. I hold you two responsible for any CHALLENGES that arise, I trust you can handle it. AGENT YORK Absolutely sir, everything will go perfectly. INT. T.J. MORROW'S HOUSE - BATHROOM - LATER T.J. rushes around the bathroom, he wears a wife beater and tux pants. On his right arm he has a small tattoo of jump wings he got while he was in the Air Force Security Police. T.J. MORROW (yelling out into the room) See, now I'm gonna be late. He digs through a pile of dirty clothes and through a hamper. VAL ROBERTS(VO) (from the bedroom) Hey baby, what were you going to tell me earlier? His eyes widen and he quickly decides to try and avoid the subject.
7. T.J. MORROW Aghh, nothing, it can wait. you seen my shirt?
VAL ROBERTS(VO) (bedroom) Come on, T.J., what was it, does it have something to do with a very large purchase at a jewelry store? He desperately wants to avoid the conversation, he walks into the bedroom and does not make eye contact with Val. THE BEDROOM - SAME He looks in a closet and digs through a rack of clothes. T.J. MORROW I really need to find my shirt, hon, I'm gonna be late. Val stands up, she wears the shirt he looks for. VAL ROBERTS (whiny) T.J., what were you gonna say? She taps him on the shoulder. VAL ROBERTS Hellllo? She starts to take it off kind of seductively again. T.J. MORROW (annoyed) Hey, you're gonna wrinkle it. She unbuttons it the rest of the way and hands it to him. T.J. grabs a t-shirt from a rack and throws it to her. She puts it on. She walks up to him as he dresses in the mirror and wraps her arms around him. T.J. turns grabs the sides of her face and kisses her. T.J. MORROW Did I ever tell you that I love you? She smiles.
8. T.J. MORROW Well, I do. He gives her a quick peck on the lips. T.J. MORROW Now, I'm late. I'll give you a call later...I got a surprise for you tonight. She jumps like a child. VAL ROBERTS What is it, what is it? T.J. walks towards the door. T.J. MORROW Later. I promise. I gotta go. NOW. I'll be home by midnight. She looks at him, pouting. Alright. They kiss. He leaves. VAL ROBERTS Jerk. EXT. FREMONT STREET - EVENING - WEDNESDAY Phil Wise, dressed for work, walks down FREMONT STREET in Las Vegas. As he heads for work, he makes eye contact with A VET IN A WHEELCHAIR. He looks at the Vet and throws an envelope into his lap. The Vet looks down and lowers his sunglasses a bit. WILL SPILLER(THE VET) God bless you and God bless America. Phil smiles as he walks past and enters into the casino where he works. INT. A CASINO BAR - EVENING - WEDNESDAY Several people sit around the smoky bar. Some sit at spool tables around the bar and a couple of others scattered at the bar. VAL ROBERTS I love you.
9. T.J. stands behind the bar talking to his two best friends, WAYNE O'CONNOR, early 40's, an out of shape Metro Cop with a THICK NEW ENGLAND ACCENT and ANDREW SCHOENEBERG, mid 30's, tall, skinny, nerdy guy. Andy tends to stammer when he gets excited. ANDY It'd be something, huh, T.J.? If we got shots of the Aurora, we'd be frigging heroes. T.J. walks up the bar a little bit and grabs a bag from behind the counter. T.J. MORROW I think I'm going to have to pass boys. T.J. pulls out a jewelry box from the bag and opens it to expose an engagement ring. WAYNE-O Oh bullshit. You're joking right? I thought you were going to do that earlier. T.J. MORROW No man, I'm serious. I was "preoccupied" earlier. ANDY Preoccupied? Does that mean you got laid today? The guys all laugh, A LADY sits down a couple of stools away and waves at T.J. He walks down the bar towards her and the two exchange pleasantries. At the other end of the bar, Wayne-O and Andy sit dumbstruck over the big announcement. T.J. walks back down the bar. T.J. MORROW So what do you think? I came this close to telling her before work. WAYNE-O I think you're nuts...but, I am probably not the best person to ask. ANDY I think it's great. But, I think you should wait until tomorrow.
10. WAYNE-O Yeah, come on man...this may be our last night for this kind of shit. Marriage changes everything. T.J. MORROW (to Andy) You're married and we go out all the time. WAYNE-O Yeah, but he hates his wife...and she hates him. (to Andy) No offense. ANDY None taken. (to T.J.) The man's got a point. T.J. looks down at the ring and closes the box. T.J. MORROW Let me call Val. INT. T.J. MORROW'S HOUSE - LIVING ROOM - SAME TIME Val sits reading Cosmo on the couch, half-watching some lame TV show. She hears the phone ring and reaches around for it, finding it in between the cushions on the couch. VAL ROBERTS Hello. T.J. MORROW(VO) (like the Big Bopper) Helloooo babeeeee. VAL ROBERTS When do I get my surprise? T.J. MORROW(VO) (mocking) Oh my nights just fine, thanks for asking, how's yours? Val gets up and starts walking around the living room. VAL ROBERTS Sorry. (super fake) How's your day darling?
11. INT. A CASINO BAR - SAME TIME T.J. stands with his back to the bar talking on the phone. T.J. MORROW Funny, you mentioned your surprise. VAL ROBERTS(VO) (int.She knows where this is going.) T.J. don't you do it. T.J. MORROW See, here's the deal, my precious baby. VAL ROBERTS (VO) I'm warning you, Teej, I have been waiting patiently all day for this... T.J. turns to the guys, he shakes his head. The men put their hands together like they are praying. T.J. puts the phone to the side of his head to hide his giggling. T.J. MORROW (sheepishly) I'll tell the guys no, if you want me to. T.J. looks at the guys and puts his hand over the phone to whisper. T.J. MORROW She's really pissed. WAYNE-O Be strong man... ANDY Fffight it, use the force Luke. T.J. MORROW (back in the phone) Listen, this is a once in a lifetime thing and you know that I never do this... INT. T.J. MORROW'S HOUSE - KITCHEN - SAME TIME Val now sits on the floor, back against the cabinets. VAL ROBERTS Fine T.J., go play X-Files. God forbid you get serious about real life for more than five seconds. I'll be at my place.
12. She hangs up the phone. INT. A CASINO BAR - SAME TIME T.J. still holds the phone, now staring at the receiver. T.J. MORROW Hello? (to the guys) I think she hung up on me. Hello? WAYNE-O Is there a dial tone? T.J. MORROW Yeah. WAYNE-O Well, then no shit. Jesus T.J., what do you think, maybe she is doing her impersonation of a dial tone? ANDY Has anyone ever come back on the line once you hear a dial tone? T.J. MORROW She'll call back. She's probably pacing around right now... INT. T.J. MORROW'S HOUSE - LIVING ROOM - SAME TIME Val paces around the room, holding the phone. VAL ROBERTS Oh mister, you better call back. She looks at a picture of him. VAL ROBERTS Damn you T.J.!!! She dials the phone. INT. A CASINO BAR - SAME TIME The phone rings. T.J. looks at the guys and smiles. picks up the phone. Harold's. T.J. MORROW This is T.J. He
13. VAL ROBERTS(VO) You owe me. BIG TIME! You better have a great surprise for me, or you're gonna be spending a lot of time with Palmala Handerson. T.J. MORROW I love you so much. INT. T.J. MORROW'S HOUSE - LIVING ROOM - SAME TIME Val is now laying on the couch, with her legs dangling over the edge. VAL ROBERTS You better. I do. T.J. MORROW(VO) You know that...
VAL ROBERTS Alright. I'm gonna head home then, I got some stuff to do around the apartment. T.J. MORROW(VO) I'll see you tomorrow...with your surprise. VAL ROBERTS Okay, have fun and be careful. Always. You too. She hangs up, sighs and looks over at the picture. VAL ROBERTS You suck. INT. A CASINO BAR - A LITTLE LATER. T.J. MORROW Where do you guys want to meet? I'll drive. ANDY Side entrance, 12:15? T.J. MORROW(VO) Love ya. VAL ROBERTS
He reaches down and grabs a set of keys, he throws them to Wayne-O.
14. ANDY This night could change our lives. The man at the other end of the bar is starting to get pissed. T.J. MORROW It better be, I'm going to be kissing Val's ass for the next month. WAYNE-O At least you got an ass to kiss. T.J. MORROW Okay, get the hell out of here you two, some people have to work. T.J. walks over to the guy who has been waiting. and Andy walk out of the bar. Wayne-O
EXT. LAS VEGAS HIGHWAY - EARLY, EARLY MORNING - THURSDAY INT. ANDY'S CAR - EARLY, EARLY MORNING - THURSDAY Andy drives while T.J. and Wayne kick back. ANDY Wayne-O, you going to the big Elvis thing on Friday? WAYNE-O I'm not sure, I heard about it at the station...sounds cool. How about you Teej? T.J. turns his head and laughs. T.J. MORROW HELL NO! I am not going anywhere near that freakshow. WAYNE-O What is your problem with Elvis? ANDY (to Wayne) You don't know the story? Come on? T.J.,you gotta let me ttttell him the story. T.J. shakes his head and looks over at Andy disgusted. T.J. MORROW Man, I told you never to tell anyone about that.
15. WAYNE-O Oh, I need to know this. the Elvis story?
T.J. MORROW It's nothing...come on Andy. WAYNE-O Yeah, come on Andy...spill it. Andy looks at T.J., who shakes his head... ANDY Alright, when T.J. was six... T.J. MORROW (interrupting) Five..shit, get it right. ANDY Sorry. When T.J. was FIVE, he and his mother went to Graceland on a tour. T.J. MORROW My ma was the biggest Elvis fan. It was right after my dad died. ANDY Don't bring down the story man. Anyway, they're walking around on the tour and T.J. wanders away from the group. He ends up in the Jungle Room and guess who's down there? WAYNE-O (sarcastically) The King? ANDY The King himself. WAYNE-O Michael Jackson...wow. T.J. MORROW Not that king, dipshit... ANDY So T.J. is talking to Elvis Fucking Presley and he doesn't even know it. Elvis was all messed up... T.J. MORROW What a surprise...
16. ANDY ...so finally, T.J.'s mom comes down there to look for him and she nearly faints when she sees Elvis. WAYNE-O What did Elvis do? ANDY He starts hitting on T.J.'s mom. WAYNE-O Your mom is kind of hot. T.J. MORROW Easy. ANDY Listen. Here's the best part. Elvis goes to kiss Mrs Morrow and all of a sudden gets sick, he turns around and pukes all over T.J.'s little blue suede shoes. Andy and Wayne crack up, T.J. shakes his head, embarrassed. WAYNE-O That is hilarious... ANDY (doing his best Elvis) He blew a chunk a chunk of burnin' love... T.J. MORROW (sarcastically) Thanks. Thanks for making light of a very traumatic time in my life. INT. ANDY'S CAR - A LITTLE LATER The men are now kind of tired from the long drive. They pull up to the area known as "THE MAILBOX" near Area 51. The Mailbox is the point of no return, you are not supposed to go any further...at the risk of your own life. There are signs posted that state "USE OF DEADLY FORCE IS AUTHORIZED. The road is blocked with construction horses. Other than that, there are no REAL signs of any actual road work being done. Andy stops the car.
17. WAYNE-O Shit, what's with all this construction? T.J. MORROW This is messed up. None of this was here earlier. Park at the AleInn, we'll walk around it. EXT. DESERT - EARLY, EARLY MORNING - THURSDAY The three men get out of the car, stretching, yawning, etc. T.J. grabs his satchel and throws it over his shoulder. Andy grabs his camcorder and straps it around his shoulder. Wayne grabs his camcorder. ANDY We got a back-up plan? WAYNE-O Yeah, we see the bad guys and we run like hell. Great. ANDY Great plan...T.J.?
T.J. MORROW He's right, if we do see any "Cammo Dudes" we need to scatter, it will be tougher to chase all three of us. While Wayne reaches into the car for his still camera, T.J. notices he is strapped. T.J. MORROW Yo Baretta, leave the piece. That's all we need is some Gung-Ho Cactus Cop to see you with a nine. Do you want to die tonight? Wayne takes off his shoulder holster and puts it under the seat. WAYNE-O Okay Mom, can we go now? It's almost 3:30 and I'd like to be home before light. As the men walk, they start spreading out.
18. T.J. MORROW Make sure you don't go out too far, if we cross the line we're screwed. (pauses) There are motion sensors once you get closer to the actual base. ANDY We trip a sensor and we'll have about ten seconds to get out of here. WAYNE-O Will you relax! Does everyone have there cells? ANDY Check. T.J. MORROW Check? What is this a Lee Marvin film? Check, he says. Goof. The guys continue to walk, but now they have stopped talking. Wayne fumbles with his camera as he walks, he doesn't notice a small SENSOR on the ground, it has a small green light, when he steps near it the light turns red. The terrain is typical desert type, however, there are little crevice like canyons all around, the men deliberately walk around these. The canyons are approximately two-three feet wide by four feet long and around three feet deep. This is the area known as Area 51. No fences separate the top secret base from the rest of the desert. A special security force patrols the area, called CAMMO DUDES because of their Desert Camouflage Uniforms. They are nameless, rankless agents and no one is quite sure if they are military or civilian. They drive WHITE SUV's (Jeep Cherokees and Ford Explorers are what are usually seen in the area.) The men form a horseshoe about 100 yards across, T.J. is at the rear. The men sit down and get their equipment ready. A few seconds go by and suddenly, out of nowhere a WHITE SUV flies over the ridge. ANDY Shit, take off guys! The men run in opposite directions, except T.J., he gets up and starts running and trips, his foot is caught in a crevice.
19. He drops to the ground and yanks his foot out of the whole and crawls over to one of the canyons and rolls into it, looking over the edge at the truck. Andy is right in front of the truck, suddenly over a P.A. system in the truck: CAMMO DUDE (VO) You are trespassing on United States government property, stop immediately or you will be shot. Andy stops and turns around, Wayne drops to the ground and puts his hands over his head. T.J. stays in the little canyon and takes his camera and begins to shoot towards the melee. The adrenaline from the chase rushes through him, causing him to smile. The truck stops about three feet in front of Andy. lights shine directly into his face. CAMMO DUDE (VO) (to Andy) Put your hands on top of your head. (to Wayne-O) You on the ground stay where you are. Three camouflaged men get out of the truck, they all hold M-9 pistols. They point their weapons at Andy who has his hands over his head. Another White SUV pulls up, this time two camouflaged men and one MAN IN A BLACK SUIT (POPE) exit the vehicle. They all walk towards Andy. ANDY (laughing nervously) Okay, y,y,y,you got us. We didn't shoot anything. We were w,w,w,waiting for... well,well,well never mind. The two men from the second SUV walk towards Wayne-O. The whole scene is very tense. T.J. sits dead silent, still filming. ANDY So what happens now? No response. The
20. ANDY (to the closest Cammo Dude) Alright Chatty C,C,Cathy, I guess I'll have to give this to you? Andy quickly reaches over his shoulder to hand over his camera. One of the Cammo Dudes sees him reaching and panics, he shoots him in the chest. As this happens, Wayne's eyes nearly pop out of his head, he screams out... WAYNE-O Jesus Christ. No. Andy drops straight back to the ground, blood running from his chest and mouth. Wayne-O gets up and the two men, both pointing their weapons start yelling. Freeze. CAMMO DUDE 1 Don't move.
WAYNE-O It was just a fucking camera. Pope raises his hand. POPE Everybody relax. (to the Cammo Dude who pulled the trigger) What have you done? Wayne rushes to Andy's side on the ground. He sees that he is in bad shape, he stands up and glares at Pope. WAYNE-O Don't just stand there genius, call a fucking ambulance. ANDY Oh J,J,Jeez... My wife is gonna be so pissed. Blood drips from his mouth, he is fading fast. He grabs Wayne's hand and squeezes once and then lets go, his hand falls to the ground. WAYNE-O (pissed) You bastards, what the hell's wrong with you?
21. Pope walks closely towards Wayne. POPE I suggest you calm down. Wayne stands up slowly and turns to Pope. WAYNE-O (nervously) I suggest you get the hell out of my face pal,I'm a Cop. (to the other Cammo Dudes) Don't be stupid this has gone far enough. Call an ambulance. Pope motions for one of the men to come towards him. POPE Give me a brick. The Cammo Dude hands him his radio. POPE This is Pope, we've got a mess in section 403. (pausing to look at Wayne) Send in Mr. Clean. He hands the radio back to the Cammo Dude. JOHNSON (THE SHOOTER) Sir, I thought he was reaching. WAYNE-O He was reaching you imbecile, for a camera. Andy's body jerks a little and he gurgles. Everyone looks down at him. POPE (to Wayne-O) Do you want to end up like your friend? If not, I advise you to shut your mouth. T.J. is freaking out. No longer smiling, he shakes, trying to control his breathing, still shooting this with his camcorder.
22. POPE Johnson, you are going to help out Mr. Clean. I'll take care of the rest. (He walks slowly towards Wayne and takes his badge wallet.) So, Officer O'Connor, what were your intentions trespassing on government property? WAYNE-O We were just screwing around...it was nothing. POPE I am really surprised that one of Las Vegas' finest would break the law in order to, what? Maybe see an airplane? WAYNE-O We didn't see anything. We've been here all of 3 seconds, when your boys went all Baja over that ridge over there. POPE What are we going to do with you? WAYNE-O YOU are going to call Las Vegas Metro Police and your little pal over there is going to jail. The two stare at each other for a second. WAYNE-O Think about it. You look like a smart guy, you gotta know you got no other options. (pauses,nervously) What are you going to do, kill a cop? POPE Hmmm, you may be right. (he walks over to one of the Cammo Dudes) I really have no other choice and that...is unfortunate. At this point, Pope reaches over to one of the "Cammo Dudes" and grabs his M-9, he looks at Wayne, points the weapon and shoots him right in the head.
23. The blood splatters all over Johnson's face. POPE (CONTINUING) On second thought, I'll take option two. Wayne's body falls next to Andy's. Andy's body continues to convulse sporadically. Pope looks down at Andy and pops one off into him to finish him off. He reaches for a hanky in his pocket and throws it to Johnson. POPE Now you've got two messes to clean up. Get them out of here. He walks away, stopping right in front of Wayne's body to tie his shoe. He grabs Wayne's shirt sleeve and wipes off some blood from his shoe. POPE You got blood on me. (he stands) Bad boy. Pope climbs into the SUV and they take off. Another WHITE SUV pulls up to the area. Two more CAMMODUDES get out, one M.I.B. remains in the vehicle. One Cammo-Dude opens the back of the second SUV and pulls out two body bags. He and the other two labor to put the two dead men into the plastic bags. They place the bodies into the second SUV. The M.I.B. who was sitting in the vehicle gets out and looks over the area. He walks deliberately to the back of the SUV and pulls out a flamethrower. He blankets the sandy area in flames. Most of the flames seem to extinguish themselves. A small portion of a nearby Joshua tree has caught on fire and one of the Cammo Dude's quickly extinguishes it. This entire process takes all of one minute. syncopated like an atomic clock. The M.I.B. looks the area over one more time. He speaks into a walkie-talkie. It is
24. SUV M.I.B. We are clorox, heading back to the hotel. He steps back into the vehicle and they pull away, the other SUV follows immediately behind. T.J. peeps his head out and looks around. T.J. MORROW Jesus Christ. He gets up, looks around and begins running towards the road. He stumbles into the parking lot of the Little A-Le Inn, he jumps into Andy's car and takes off. INT. A MILITARY BASE - AN OFFICE - A LITTLE LATER A man in a black suit watches the tapes from Andy and Wayne's cameras. He looks at a section from earlier in Andy's car that shows the three men goofing around. M.I.B.(MAN IN BLACK) 1 Shit, there were three of them. He reaches for the phone and presses one button. POPE (V.O.) (telephone) This is Pope. M.I.B. 1 Sir, we've got a problem. INT. ANDY'S CAR - MORNING - THURSDAY T.J. sweats, he has an extremely panicked look on his face. He bangs on the steering wheel. T.J. MORROW What the hell am I gonna do? He grabs his phone and starts to call 9-1-1. and then one. He swerves all over the road. T.J. MORROW I gotta call the cops. Damn. Think T.J., THINK! He bangs on the steering wheel, picks up his phone and dials again. He dials nine
25. T.J. MORROW Come on...answer baby, answer. Phone rings a few times. VAL ROBERTS(VO) (groggy) Hello? T.J. MORROW Val, listen to me. Something terrible happened. VAL ROBERTS(VO) Jesus T.J., it's 4:30 in the morning. What happened? T.J. MORROW They're gone. Wayne and Andy...they're both gone. INT - VAL ROBERTS HOUSE - BEDROOM - SAME TIME Val immediately sits up. What? VAL ROBERTS Gone where?
T.J. MORROW(VO) (babbling) I just sat there. I was too scared to move. I didn't even help. VAL ROBERTS T.J., you're scaring me, what happened? The signal on T.J.'s mobile phone starts to break up. VAL ROBERTS Hello? T.J.? Sweetie, you're breaking up... T.J. MORROW(VO) (broken-up by cell phone static) We........cam...white trucks...it was an accident. Then they shot Wayne. VAL ROBERTS T.J., I can't hear you, you're breaking up...did you say someone shot Wayne? (MORE)
26. VAL ROBERTS (CONT'D) (pausing) T.J.? Honey? (pausing) Are you there?
She hears a dial tone and tries to call his phone back. The phone rings a couple of times and his voice-mail picks up, she paces around, listening to the message. T.J. MORROW'S VOICE-MAIL(VO) Hello? (pauses) Ha....just kidding. You just missed me, leave me a message and I'll get back with you as soon as possible. Buh Bye. INT. A MILITARY BASE - POPE'S OFFICE - EARLY MORNING -THURSDAY Three men sit in the office. Pope behind his desk.
AGENT PROVO, late 40's, career agent sits in a chair across from Pope. The other man near the closed door, is AGENT YORK. York is in his mid-30's, he is eager to prove himself and comes off a little too gung-ho at times. POPE Well, this is some ordeal we have here, two men dead, not to mention one of them is a Police Officer, and one witness who can point the finger straight at us. Yep, quite an ordeal. Did we find any vehicle? AGENT PROVO No sir, they must've parked at the restaurant. We've concluded that Morrow did not drive as his vehicle has been parked at Bally's Casino all night. We are currently looking for the other two vehicles, unfortunately neither of them are new vehicles, so we can't use LoJack or On-Star to locate them. POPE Is this guy a pro?
27. AGENT YORK (reading from a file) Thomas John Morrow, Thirty years old, Las Vegas. Ex-Air Force, Security Forces. Served for six years, did one tour of duty in Panama, spent nine months in the Gulf, half a year in Bosnia and his last three years at Nellis. He's airborne qualified, other than that nothing spectacular on his record. POPE How about now? What's he into now? York peruses a file filled with privileged information. AGENT YORK After the Air Force he went to the Police academy with the fat guy, he got caught dabbling in some coke and got thrown out. Now he's a bartender. POPE Why was he here, tonight? Coincidence?
AGENT YORK (interrupting) Sir, he also runs a website called "BELIEVE IT DOT COM." AGENT PROVO I've seen it, it's like all the rest...conspiracy theories, stories, fake pictures, nothing threatening. Enough. POPE No more time for bios.
Pope stands up and grabs the file from Agent York. POPE It's time to see what Mr. Morrow is really made of. (he puts his hands on York's shoulders) Get me everything you have on him, I want a team in his walls within the hour...clear? The men approach the door. POPE I asked if we were clear?
28. AGENT PROVO I'm on it. AGENT YORK Like Evian, Mr. Pope. EXT. LAS VEGAS HIGHWAY - ANDY'S CAR - EARLY MORNING - THURSDAY T.J. approaches the lights of Las Vegas. FREMONT STREET. He exits on
He parks his car and sits there for a second. Still in shock, he rubs his hands through his hair. He rests his head against the steering wheel. Suddenly, his phone rings. Startled, T.J. answers. T.J. MORROW Hello? POPE(VO) Is this Thomas Morrow? T.J. MORROW Yes, who's this? INTERCUT BETWEEN CALLERS AS NEEDED INT. THE BLACK CAR - DRIVING ALONG - SAME TIME Pope sits in a car on the highway. There are three other M.I.B.'s in the car. All of them have little headphones in their ears. POPE You can call me Mr. Pope. Not to be cliche', but lets get down to business. Thomas, we know what happened. We know things got way out of control and we would like the opportunity to fix things before they get worse, what exactly do you think you saw tonight? ANDY'S CAR T.J. MORROW I saw my two friends get shot for no reason. Are you the guy who shot 'em?
29. THE BLACK CAR POPE I am not sure what you're talking about, you say your friends were shot? ANDY'S CAR T.J. MORROW Don't play fucking games with me. THE BLACK CAR POPE I don't like that language Thomas, I don't like it one bit. Let's keep this civil, shall we? ANDY'S CAR T.J. MORROW You're nuts. I'm hanging up now Psycho. I'm calling the cops. THE BLACK CAR POPE I wouldn't advise that Thomas. Who do you think they are going to believe, some whack-o, coke freak, bartender? T.J. MORROW(VO) Oh, I think once they see the tape I have, it won't take much convincing you SICK FUCK! One of the men in the back of Pope's car is holding a handheld tracing device, that resembles a palm pilot. M.I.B. 2 Got him, he's downtown. Pope is not very happy about the latest development. does not appreciate T.J.'s tone or language. POPE (through clenched teeth) What happened is truly unfortunate, but it cannot be undone. I really don't think you want to make this any more difficult. He
30. ANDY'S CAR T.J. MORROW You mean more difficult than watching my two friends get gunned down? How can this possibly get more difficult? THE BLACK CAR POPE Mr. Morrow, you have no idea who we are, or what we can and will do. Be smart and give us the tape. ANDY'S CAR T.J. MORROW Or what? THE BLACK CAR POPE Let's not go there. Let's meet and we'll put this behind us. ANDY'S CAR T.J. looks at the clock on his dash. been talking for a little while. He realizes he has
T.J. MORROW No fucking deal, I'm going to the cops. T.J. closes the phone. Shit. cops. T.J. MORROW Call the cops T.J., call the
He grabs his satchel with the camera and gets out of the car. EXT. DOWNTOWN LAS VEGAS STREET - SAME TIME He starts pacing along the side of the car. 911 OPERATOR(VO) 9-1-1, what is your emergency? T.J. MORROW I need to report a murder. (he sighs) Actually two. My friends are dead. He calls the cops.
31. 911 OPERATOR(VO) Sir, calm down. Where did this happen? T.J. MORROW Out in the desert. They were killed by two Military Agents. We were out by Area 51, they shot my friend Andy... 911 OPERATOR (VO) (interrupting) Sir, this line is for emergencies only! T.J. MORROW Does it sound like I'm 12 years old and prank calling? (swallowing) Look, my two friends are dead. One of them was a cop. They were killed for no reason. 911 OPERATOR (VO) Sir, what is your name and location? T.J. MORROW My name is T...oh shit. T.J. sees a black car approaching up the block. his phone and starts walking away. INT. THE BLACK CAR - LAS VEGAS STREET - SAME TIME Two M.I.B.'s sit scanning the area for any sign of T.J. AGENT YORK drives. AGENT HEFLIN sits in the passenger seat. AGENT HEFLIN Is that him? AGENT YORK I can't tell, he had a hat and a jacket on in the video. That dude does look paranoid though. EXT. DOWNTOWN LAS VEGAS STREET - SAME TIME T.J. starts to walk towards Fremont street. into a parking garage. He turns off He hangs up
INT. LAS VEGAS CASINO PARKING GARAGE - GROUND FLOOR He walks into the elevator.
32. INT. LAS VEGAS CASINO PARKING GARAGE - ELEVATOR He hits the 3, 4, and 5 button. The elevator stops at 3 and T.J. holds the door open for a couple of seconds. He then closes the door and gets out on the 4th floor. INT. LAS VEGAS CASINO PARKING GARAGE - FOURTH FLOOR T.J. walks towards the opening of the garage and enters. INT. LAS VEGAS CASINO PARKING GARAGE - GROUND FLOOR York and Heflin walk into the garage. AGENT HEFLIN I'll take the elevator, you take the stairs. Heflin looks at the elevator lights and sees the car stopped on the 5th floor. AGENT HEFLIN Looks like he got off on 5, but he could he be anywhere. I'll go up to 5 and come down. AGENT YORK I'll take two and work my way up. Both men rush off in search of T.J. INT. LAS VEGAS CASINO PARKING GARAGE - STAIRWELL York heads up the stairs. INT. LAS VEGAS CASINO PARKING GARAGE - ELEVATOR Heflin stands in the elevator listening to the Muzak...something like "SWEET CAROLINE." He hits the 5 button. INT. LAS VEGAS CASINO PARKING GARAGE - THIRD FLOOR York walks out of the stairwell and notices a BUM laying on the ground next to the elevator. AGENT YORK Hey, you want twenty bucks? BUM Hey man, I don't swing that way, damn it...I'm a vet.
33. AGENT YORK Sir, it's not sexual, I need you to tell me if you saw anyone coming out of this elevator in the last five minutes. BUM You a cop? AGENT YORK No. BUM You dress like a cop. York smiles at the man. He reaches into his pocket, pulls out his wallet and waves a twenty dollar bill. BUM No. No one came OUT of the elevator in like half an hour. (he grabs for the twenty) I did see some guy and his gal go IN about ten minutes ago. York offers the twenty up, only to pull it back... AGENT YORK You sure? BUM Shit, I'd sell my mother for twenty bucks. Give me my money man, or I'll yell COP. York looks at the bum, shakes his head and tosses the twenty on the ground. BUM Pleasure doing business with you. York walks towards the elevator and starts talking into his wrist. AGENT YORK I got nothing, a bum says no one has come off this elevator in at least half an hour. Go check the Casino Entrance, I'm going up to four. AGENT HEFLIN Copy.
34. INT. LAS VEGAS CASINO PARKING GARAGE - FOURTH FLOOR The elevator dings and York comes out singing. AGENT YORK ...she's a lady...whoa oh oh oh...she's a lady. T.J. stands around the corner, waiting for the Agent to reveal himself. T.J. MORROW Hi there. T.J. punches York in the face, knocking him back into the elevator. York reaches for his gun, T.J. kicks him in the ribs and grabs the weapon. York's walkie-talkie is laying unplugged from the whisper mic about 3 feet from York. TJ points the gun in York's face. T.J. MORROW Now, what were you gonna do with this? A voice comes out over the walkie-talkie. AGENT HEFLIN(VO) He's not by the entrance, do you want me to go in? T.J. MORROW Tell your boyfriend to go ahead...and be smart about it. AGENT YORK Negative, he's not in the casino. He's right here. T.J. pistol whips York across the head. T.J. MORROW Wrong answer, asshole. T.J. hits the elevator button for the fourth floor and pulls the clip out of the gun, throwing it in the garbage. He throws the gun on top of York and heads for the stairs out of the garage. EXT. FREMONT STREET - A LITTLE LATER T.J. exits through the front door of the casino and starts walking in the opposite direction of his car. As he walks briskly, he passes a FLYER on a lamp post that states: Knocking him out.
35. INSERT- "CELEBRATE THE KING. 10TH ANNUAL ELVISFEST....PRIZES FOR BEST LOOK-A-LIKES...KARAOKE..." T.J. looks at the poster and angrily tears it down. The date on the poster is Thursday. EXT. DOWNTOWN LAS VEGAS STREET - EARLY MORNING The two M.I.B.'s are back in their car. York sits holding his jaw, blood drips from his mouth. Heflin talks into a cell phone. AGENT HEFLIN We lost him. INT. A MILITARY BASE - POPE'S OFFICE Pope speaks to Heflin on a speaker phone. Agent Provo sits across from him, shaking his head. POPE That's brilliant. Pope hangs up the phone. POPE What's the progress on the roaches? AGENT PROVO Already done sir, our crew should be on the road back. Pope looks at the video screen at T.J. Morrow's face. POPE Your a bad boy Thomas, you just killed two men. SUPER-THURSDAY INT. SEEDY HOTEL DESK - MORNING - THURSDAY T.J. stands at the front desk waiting for someone to check him in. The hotel is really sleazy, porno magazines lay on a table behind the counter, a big sign on the wall says, "HOURLY RATES AVAILABLE." Above it, another sign reads, "HOTEL NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR LOSS OF PROPERTY."
36. T.J. rings a small doorbell on the counter. The HOTEL OWNER, a large, greasy looking fat guy comes out behind another door. He eats a sandwich. HOTEL OWNER Good morning. What can I do for you? T.J. MORROW I need a room. CASH. HOTEL OWNER No problem, you want hourly or nightly? T.J. MORROW Let's go with nightly. HOTEL OWNER Okay, sign in here. The Hotel Owner takes a bite of his sandwich. T.J. starts writing in the log book. He signs in as A. WHITEMAN. BURGER." His business is "IN AND OUT
The Hotel Owner takes the clipboard. HOTEL OWNER Alright Mr. White man, (chewing his food) do you need the phone turned on? It's a twenty dollar deposit for calls... (swallowing) ...refundable, of course. Yeah. T.J. MORROW Alright.
HOTEL OWNER Great, the total is fifty-two dollars even. The Hotel Owner grabs a key off the board. T.J. pulls out a wad of bills (tips.) Off the top, he peels off two fiftys. HOTEL OWNER Lucky number seven... (he sucks his teeth) and your change...
37. T.J. MORROW Keep the change. I don't want to be disturbed. T.J. walks out the door. HOTEL OWNER Got it. (yelling) Discretion is one of our many selling points. INT. SEEDY HOTEL ROOM - MORNING - THURSDAY An extremely scuzzy room. T.J. sits on the bed, he grabs the remote that is chained to the television, which is chained to the dresser, which is chained to the wall. He flicks through a couple of channels, porno, porno and more porno. The rest are scratchy at best. He stops at one that airs an infomercial about some exercise nonsense. TV ANNOUNCER (VO) Fatty, tons of fun, chubby...are you sick of hearing these mean names... (trails off) T.J. hits the remote and falls back onto the bed. INT. A MILITARY BASE - POPE'S OFFICE - THURSDAY Pope sits at his desk working on a file. POPE Come in. Hey sir. AGENT PROVO We got something. POPE What is it? AGENT PROVO According to Morrow's cell phone records, he called his girlfriend, Valerie Roberts shortly after the incident, the call lasted less than a minute. We are not sure how much she knows. A knock at the door.
38. POPE Well, there's only one way to find out. AGENT PROVO Yes, sir. He starts to walk out the door, he stops and turns back... AGENT PROVO Mr. Pope? Pope looks up. AGENT PROVO Sir, we can handle this. Why don't you go home and get some rest? POPE (smiling) Thank you for your concern John, I'm fine. I'll get all the sleep I need when I'm dead. AGENT PROVO Right, sir. EXT. FREMONT STREET - AN ALLEY - LATER WILL SPILLER, mid-50's, very gruff sits in a wheelchair, counting money from an envelope. Another man, A SHADY DUDE, dressed in odd, black, nouveau spy clothes talks with him while perusing a file. WILL SPILLER Two hundred bucks? You got any idea how privileged that privileged information is? SHADY DUDE Yeah, that's assuming its any good. The last two times I made purchases you were so stinking drunk you screwed up the times. This is your last chance. WILL SPILLER Trust me buddy. It's good info. SHADY DUDE It better be. The Shady Dude starts to walk away.
39. WILL SPILLER Hey, don't be telling anything about this...or me. SHADY DUDE Who would care? INT. SEEDY HOTEL ROOM - BATHROOM - NOONISH TJ wrapped in a towel stands in front of a mirror, the TV plays in the background. TV NEWS ANCHOR(VO) ...Metro Police found a 9mm handgun at the scene which matches the bullets found in one of the victims, Forty-one year old Metro Officer, Wayne O'Connor... Hearing this, T.J. busts out of the bathroom. T.J. MORROW (int.) WHAT THE HELL? TV NEWS ANCHOR(VO) (cont.) ...is 32 year old, Andrew Schoeneberg. O'Connor was unmarried, while Schoeneberg leaves behind a wife and two young children. Police are looking for this man...29 year old, Thomas Morrow. If you have any information on this or any other cases, please call Secret Witness at 555-COPS that's 555-2677. TV NEWS ANCHOR 2 (V0) In other news... T.J.is totally freaked out now. his room, panic stricken. Damn. Damn. He sweats and paces around
T.J. MORROW What the hell?
SFX-THE PHONE RINGS. Startled; T.J. nearly jumps out of his skin. T.J. MORROW CHRIST! After another ring, T.J. hesitantly picks up the phone.
40. T.J. MORROW Hello? HOTEL OWNER (VO) Mr. Whiteman? Sorry to bother you sir, will you be needing housekeeping today? NO! T.J. MORROW I mean, no, thanks. I'm fine.
He hangs up the phone and sits on the bed...stunned. He is obviously freaked out about this latest turn of events. He gets up, grabs his coat and satchel and starts to walk out the door. Stopping. T.J. MORROW Shit, what am I nuts? I can't go outside. T.J. sits on the edge of his bed. INT. POLICE STATION - DETECTIVES OFFICE - AFTERNOON - THURSDAY SERGEANT FRANK RODRIGUEZ, mid-thirties, latin good looks sits at his desk, going over tapes from 9-1-1 calls. 911 OPERATOR(VO) 9-1-1, what is your emergency? T.J. MORROW(VO) I need to report a murder. (he sighs) Actually two. My friends are dead. 911 OPERATOR(VO) Sir, calm down. Where did this happen? T.J. MORROW (VO) Out in the desert. They were killed by two Military Agents. We were out by Area 51, they shot my friend Andy... Frank stops the tape and rewinds it to play that part again. He starts scribbling on a pad. 911 OPERATOR (VO) (interrupting) Sir, this line is for emergencies only.
41. T.J. MORROW Does it sound like I'm 12 years old and prank calling? (swallowing) Look, my two friends are dead. One of them was a cop. They were killed for no reason. 911 OPERATOR (VO) Sir, what is your name and location? T.J. MORROW(VO) My name is T...oh shit. (Dial Tone) Frank rewinds the last part and replays it. 911 OPERATOR (VO) ...is your name and location? T.J. MORROW My name is T...oh shit. (Dial Tone) Frank writes the letter "T" on a sheet of paper. He gets up and walks towards another desk. Behind the desk is an attractive lady cop, LISA MARTIN. LISA MARTIN Hey, Franky...what's happenin' hot stuff? FRANK RODRIGUEZ (lisping) Stop it, I'm feeling very uncomfortable. (back to his regular voice) Naw...hey girl. What was the name of O'Connor's buddy? Lisa Martin shuffles through some papers. LISA MARTIN Andrew Schoeneberg. He looks down at a piece of paper and sees the name Andy. FRANK RODRIGUEZ What's the suspects name? LISA MARTIN Thomas John Morrow. Also known as...
42. FRANK RODRIGUEZ Thanks baby.
Frank Rodriguez walks away, Lisa Martin yells to him... LISA MARTIN You got something? He turns to her, still walking. FRANK RODRIGUEZ Maybe, I need to do a little checking on this guy's records. INT. SEEDY HOTEL ROOM - AFTERNOON T.J. sits on the edge of his bed, he picks up the phone and dials a number. T.J. MORROW Hey, I can't talk long. We need to meet. I NEED YOUR HELP. Pauses for response. T.J. MORROW Alright, we'll meet by your favorite restaraunt. He smiles. T.J. MORROW See you in an hour. He hangs up and walks into the bathroom. INT. VAL ROBERTS HOUSE - BATHROOM - AFTERNOON - THURSDAY Val just got out of the shower. She has on a robe and a towel wrapped around her head. The phone rings, she rushes out of the bathroom to find it. INT. VAL ROBERTS HOUSE - LIVING ROOM - SAME TIME The phone keeps ringing, Val can't find it. Finally, she see's it inside the couch cushion crevice. She grabs it and answers it. VAL ROBERTS (out of breath) Hello? Hello? Hello? (scratches at her wet head) T.J. is that you? (annoyed)
43. She hangs up the phone. She looks at her answering machine and it shows one message. She plays the message. FRANK RODRIGUEZ(VO) Hello Ms. Roberts. My name is Sergeant Frank Rodriguez from the Las Vegas Metro Police Department. I need to speak with you regarding a Thomas Morrow. Please call me as soon as possible at 555-4746. Thanks. She picks her phone up again and dials T.J.'s voice mail. After two rings, he answers. T.J. MORROW(VO) VAL? VAL ROBERTS T.J., oh my God. What is going on, I am so worried. Why didn't you call, where are you, what the hell is happening...the news said... Intercut between callers as necessary. INT. SEEDY HOTEL ROOM T.J. MORROW It's not true. None of it. VAL ROBERTS(VO) What happened? T.J. MORROW It's a long story and I can't get into it right now. Just trust me. I'm alright and I'll explain everything as soon as I can. I'm going to call you later tonight and we'll be able to talk more. VAL ROBERTS(VO) Alright, I trust you. I love you. T.J. MORROW I love you too sweetheart, I'll call later. INT. VAL ROBERTS HOUSE VAL ROBERTS WAIT! A cop called for you. said he was Metro. He I swear.
44. INT. SEEDY HOTEL ROOM T.J. MORROW Give me his name and number. VAL ROBERTS Okay, Sergeant Rodriguez. 555-4746.
T.J. MORROW Alright, Sergeant Rodriguez, 5554746. Got it, I'll call you later. I love you. INT. VAL ROBERTS HOUSE VAL ROBERTS I love you too. She hangs up and leaves the room, walking by a window. EXT. A CITY STREET - IN FRONT OF VAL ROBERTS HOUSE - SAME TIME A van with a water softener name on the side sits parked along the curb. INT. SEEDY HOTEL ROOM - BATHROOM - AFTERNOON - THURSDAY T.J. shaves his face clean, goatee...gone, pork chops...gone. He takes a small pair of scissors and begins to trim his hair. He is obviously trying to disguise himself. He looks at the his new image in the mirror. T.J. MORROW Alright babyface...let's go. INT. POLICE STATION - DETECTIVES OFFICE - EARLY EVENING THURSDAY Frank Rodriguez is going over the file of T.J. MORROW. ANTHONY JONES, early-thirties is at a desk nearby. He is a dark skinned black guy, very nicely dressed and pretty tall. FRANK RODRIGUEZ So why would a guy shoot his two best friends...one who happens to be a cop? ANTONIO JONES What's his record look like?
45. FRANK RODRIGUEZ He got caught with some years ago. He actually Academy at the time. that...nothing.
Not much. Coke a few was in the Other than
Antonio looks down at a file on Frank's desk. ANTONIO JONES Did you get in touch with his girlfriend? FRANK RODRIGUEZ I left a message, we should stop by there later. INT. MCDONALDS - EARLY EVENING T.J. and Phil Wise sit at a booth in the rear of the restaurant. PHIL WISE I dig the new look. You gonna tell me what happened? T.J. MORROW Man, it happened so fast... FLASHBACK SEQUENCE, T.J. VOICE OVER QUICK FLASHES OF "AREA 51 SEQUENCE." T.J. MORROW(VO) There was construction on the road, so we drove around it. I figured we were fine if we followed close to the road. We got out and started walking. Shit, it wasn't even a minute and they came flying out of nowhere. We all took off, I fell into a crevice, Wayne and Andy got caught. You know how gung-ho those fuckers are. Well, Andy went to hand him his camera and the guy capped him. PHIL WISE(VO) Jesus. T.J. MORROW(VO) Wayne went ballistic. He was arguing with this guy Pope and BAM!!! The son of a bitch shot him in the head.
46. INT. MCDONALDS - PRESENT TIME PHIL WISE Did you say the guys name was Pope? T.J. MORROW Yeah, a real prick. Do you know him? PHIL WISE The name rings a bell, but...it's probably nothing. How the hell are we going to get you out of this? T.J. reaches into his satchel and pulls out the tape. T.J. MORROW It's all right here. I shot the whole thing. PHIL WISE Call the cops, give them the tape. T.J. MORROW What about this Pope guy? Should I be worried, can he get to the cops? PHIL WISE Assuming he's NSA or Department of Energy, either one, he's a dangerous man. T.J. MORROW Yeah, I ran into a couple of his boys at the Plaza parking garage last night. They were searching all over for me and they were packing. PHIL WISE Not surprising. If that tape shows what you say it does, you are a very dangerous man. I'll do some checking on Pope. T.J. MORROW What about your "source?" there that can help me? Anybody
PHIL WISE I'll see what I can do, now you need to get yourself the hell out of here.
47. EXT. STREET IN FRONT OF SEEDY HOTEL - LATER THAT NIGHT T.J. walks towards his room and sees the black car with Government plates across the street. He keeps walking. He makes a quick jaunt across the street and heads off towards Fremont street. EXT. FREMONT STREET - EARLY EVENING T.J. walks through Fremont Street unnoticed. As he walks he notices some of the vendors that work on the street. --THE MUSICIAN, a guitarist who dons a WHITE ELVIS JUMPSUIT and plays Las Vegas show tune stuff within the confinements of a roped off little square. --THE PANHANDLER, an older lady, not a bum, but obviously not doing very well. She is standing outside a McDonalds asking people for spare change. --THE VET, (WILL SPILLER) a man in a wheelchair with a sign that says, "I'M A VET AND I DON'T LIE...I WANT MONEY FOR BEER AND SEX." Most of the people that walk by give the guy a buck or two, just for originality. T.J. stops and sits on a bench to make a phone call. pulls out the piece of motel stationary with Frank Rodriquez's phone number. T.J. MORROW Yes, Sergeant Rodriguez, homicide please. He waits a second, he looks around to see if anyone is looking at him...they aren't. T.J. MORROW Sergeant Rodriguez, it's T.J. Morrow. FRANK RODRIGUEZ(VO) Mr. Morrow, do you realize the whole city is looking for you right now? T.J. MORROW Yeah, I saw the news. I didn't kill my friends and I can prove it. INT. POLICE STATION - DETECTIVES OFFICE He motions towards Jones...giving him the "roll tapes" "it's him" sign. He
48. FRANK RODRIGUEZ Well then turn yourself in. If you have the proof you say, then what is there to worry about? T.J. MORROW(VO) I am being set up. It's high level, they can get to anyone. Who? FRANK RODRIGUEZ The Men in Black?
T.J. MORROW(VO) Do you think this is a freaking joke? I'm hanging up. FRANK RODRIGUEZ Wait, no. Okay, hold up...where and when do you want to meet? EXT. FREMONT STREET - EARLY EVENING T.J. MORROW One hour on Fremont Street. I'll meet you on the bench in front of the Nugget. COME ALONE. If I see any other cops or (mocking him) Men In Black, I'm gone. Done. T.J. hangs up. T.J. MORROW I think I just did. He gets up from the bench and starts walking towards an alley. INT. PAWN SHOP - SAME TIME He walks into a pawn shop. The bell jingles as he enters. The man behind the counter is A VERY OLD ASIAN GUY. He is watching some old Kung Fu movie. PAWN SHOP OWNER Hello, you look for something special? T.J. pulls out the ring he bought for Val. T.J. MORROW How much can I get for this? FRANK RODRIGUEZ(VO) Just don't do anything stupid.
49. PAWN SHOP OWNER Oh, very nice. I give you, two hundred. T.J. MORROW Yeah, nice try. It's two carats. The Pawn Shop Owner takes the ring and looks at it through a Jewelers Glass. PAWN SHOP OWNER Okay, okay...I give you eight hundred. T.J. MORROW I paid over two thousand dollars. (giving up) Fine. How long do I have to come and get it? PAWN SHOP OWNER I hold it for two weeks, you no show I sell it. The Owner starts filling out a ticket. T.J. MORROW I need to buy a gun. PAWN SHOP OWNER No problem, right here. T.J. walks over to the display case and looks at the guns, he sees one that is six hundred dollars. T.J. MORROW Let me see that Nine Millimeter. PAWN SHOP OWNER This a very nice gun, only six hundred dollars. I give it to you for five hundred fifty. Special deal just for you. T.J. MORROW I'll tell you what, I'll give you seven hundred if we can speed up the process. Know what I mean? PAWN SHOP OWNER No problem sir. Deal. The Pawn Shop Owner hands T.J. a hundred dollar bill, his claim ticket and the gun.
50. T.J. MORROW You got any bullets? The man reaches underneath and pulls up a box of shells. PAWN SHOP OWNER Here you go friend. On house. did not get from me...okay Right. T.J. MORROW Thanks. You
T.J. leaves the store with the jingling of the bell behind him. INT. POLICE STATION - OUTSIDE CAPTAINS OFFICE FRANK RODRIGUEZ Don't say anything about the call to the Cap'n alright? ANTONIO JONES What call? The two men walk into the office. INT. NETWORK HEADQUARTERS - SAME TIME A tall black man in his fifties, stares at several computer screens. He talks on a speaker phone. DOC CHAMBERS Alright, this is a secure line. Give me the info. SNITCH(VO) They're gonna fly her tonight, but something's going on...the place has got a weird vibe, like there planning something else. Doc opens several files at the same time on different screens...he is running tests for new information. DOC CHAMBERS Like what? Not sure. SNITCH(VO) Just a feeling, you know?
DOC CHAMBERS Yeah, I know. What about the avionics? I thought your buddy was having problems.
51. SNITCH(VO) Oh, he is...they're still testing though. Doc keeps looking at the screens. Will spiller rolls into the room. DOC CHAMBERS I'll talk to you later. He presses a button and hangs up the phone. He turns to Will. Hey buddy. DOC CHAMBERS What's happening?
WILL SPILLER I got a friend who needs a favor. DOC CHAMBERS (shaking his head) What else is new? What is it this time, flight schedule, pictures...what? WILL SPILLER No, this guy is knee deep in some serious shit. It involves your buddy, Pope. INT. SURVEILANCE VAN - SAME TIME Two men, a surveilance guy, dressed in black and ONE IN A COP UNIFORM, sit in a decked out van. SURVEILANCE GUY (into a radio) She's home. M.I.B. 1(VO) (over the radio) Proceed. SURVEILANCE GUY (to the fake cop) You are green to go. FAKE COP I'll be back in five minutes. if I need to be out sooner. Honk
The FAKE COP gets out of the van and walks towards the door of Val Roberts house.
52. INT. POLICE STATION - CAPTAINS OFFICE In the office two men, Agent Provo and York talk with CAPTAIN LIONEL. CAPTAIN LIONEL Agents these are the two officers that are working this case. Sergeant Frank Rodriguez and Officer Antonio Jones. Guys, this is Agent Pope and Agent Provo. They are from the N.S.A. AGENT PROVO We want to talk to you about the Morrow case. I understand you have been in contact with Mr. Morrow, is that right Sergeant. FRANK RODRIGUEZ Yeah, he called, but he didn't say much. He hung up on me. AGENT YORK We are taking over jurisdiction on this case. ANTONIO JONES Why does the N.S.A. want to work a Metro Homicide. CAPTAIN LIONEL Officer Jones, the N.S.A. has the con on this. Apparently, Morrow's involved in some stuff that's over our heads. FRANK RODRIGUEZ Cap'n, all do respect, but that's crap. This is a homicide investigation in Las Vegas, this is our collar. AGENT PROVO Sergeant what I am about to tell you is strictly classified and not to leave this office. Are we clear? FRANK RODRIGUEZ We're clear. INT. VAL ROBERTS HOUSE - KITCHEN - SAME TIME Val wears a cocktail server outfit.
53. She reaches into the fridge for some O.J. She hears a knock at the door so she crosses to the front door. She looks out the peep hole and sees a cop standing there. She opens the door. VAL ROBERTS (extremely scared) Can I help you?
The Fake Cop takes out his wallet and shows a Fake Cop i.d. and badge. FAKE COP Good afternoon, ma'am I'm Officer Person, I need to speak to you about Thomas Morrow. Val takes a couple of steps back, she puts her hand over her mouth. VAL ROBERTS Oh my god, please tell me he's alright? FAKE COP Well, that is what we need to talk about. May I come in? Val starts to open the door and then notices the van across the street, but doesn't see a police car. VAL ROBERTS (quickly) Ummm. Do you work with Sergeant Gonzalez? FAKE COP Yeah, he's the lead on this case, I'm just helping out, can I come in? She looks over his shoulder, this tips him off. VAL ROBERTS Ya know, I'm running late for work. Can I meet you at the station...maybe later? He walks towards the door. She tries to stop him. VAL ROBERTS Just one second. The Fake Cop pushes her aside and shuts the door behind him.
54. FAKE COP Now, we can make this easy, or we can make this hard. How do you like it? VAL ROBERTS (screams) HELP!!! The Fake Cop slaps her across the face and knocks her down. She cries, desperately trying to crawl away from him. He pursues her, towering over her like a giant. FAKE COP (smiling) I like it hard too. VAL ROBERTS Please don't hurt me. He grabs her arm and pulls her up. Her breast are heaving through her revealing outfit. He looks at her cleavage and smiles. He shoves her onto the couch. She falls backwards, her feet dangling in the air. He walks over to her, stopping in front of her legs. FAKE COP I need to know what your boyfriend told you about last night, now if you tell me, I'll leave. (he grabs her by the hair and pulls her face close to his.) But, if you don't I'll show you why I've been divorced three times. Val suddenly kicks him square in the nuts and struggles to climb over the edge of the couch. The Fake Cop grabs her by the back of her hair and throws her, she hits a stone brick fireplace and falls with a thud. Blood drips from her head. He reaches down to test her pulse and his walkie-talkie goes off. He stands quickly to listen. SURVEILANCE GUY(VO) Get out of there, some nosey bitch is looking out her window at the van.
55. The Fake Cop looks down at Val and heads to the door. INT. LAS VEGAS CASINO - SLOT AREA T.J. sits at a corner slot machine, playing just enough not to get noticed. He starts to make a phone call and realizes he can not get a good signal in the casino so he exits through a side door. EXT. FREMONT STREET - OUTSIDE A CASINO - EVENING He dials the phone. answering machine. After several rings, he gets Val's He calls another number.
He looks at his watch.
RESTARAUNT MANAGER(VO) Sam's, Sam speaking...how can I help you? T.J. MORROW (disguising his voice) Is there a Valerie Roberts in tonight? RESTARAUNT MANAGER(VO) No, she didn't come in tonight. Who's calling please? T.J. MORROW Is she sick? RESTARAUNT MANAGER(VO) I'm not sure, she didn't call in. Is this T.J.? He quickly hangs up the phone. As he looks around on Fremont, he notices several bike cops talking to each other and looking around. He walks back into the casino. INT. LAS VEGAS CASINO - SLOT AREA He walks over to the machine he was at earlier and sits down again. He puts a dollar into the machine, looks over his shoulder and notices A MAN IN A BLACK SUIT watching him. He turns back to the machine and plays once and then looks back and sees the man in black approaching him. The man in black puts his hand on T.J.'s shoulder and T.J. nearly falls out of his chair.
56. MAN IN BLACK Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you...I left my card here. The man reaches over T.J. and grabs his Player Bonus Card out of the slot, gives T.J. a look and walks away. T.J. sits, dumfounded, suddenly, his PHONE rings. He looks at the display, it reads-PRIVATE, he also notices a very weak signal so he heads towards the door again. EXT. FREMONT STREET-OUTSIDE A CASINO-EVENING He answers the phone. T.J. MORROW Hello? DOC CHAMBERS(VO) Mr. Morrow? T.J. MORROW Yes, who's this? DOC CHAMBERS(VO) That's not important now. What is important is what I can do for you. But only if you do exactly what I say. T.J. walks over to a small area as far from people as possible. T.J. MORROW I'll do whatever it takes, but how do I know I can trust you? INT. NETWORK HEADQUARTERS - DAYROOM Doc Chambers sits at the computer terminal. DOC CHAMBERS You don't. Then again, you don't have much of a choice. T.J. MORROW(VO) That's what I'm afraid of. (pauses to look around) You still there? Yes. EXT. DOC CHAMBERS So what's it gonna be?
FREMONT STREET - OUTSIDE A CASINO - EVENING T.J. MORROW I don't know. How'd you get my number?
57. DOC CHAMBERS(VO) A friend of yours asked for my help. T.J. MORROW Is this the same friend who buys information from you? DOC CHAMBERS(VO) Not from me...but yeah it's the same guy. I know about the tape and I am very interested in seeing it, where are you? T.J. MORROW On Fremont street. I am supposed to meet with a cop, but something doesn't feel right. DOC CHAMBERS(VO) When is your meeting? T.J. MORROW Twenty minutes... DOC CHAMBERS(VO) Where are you, exactly? T.J. MORROW I'm standing outside of the Horseshoe, near the Keno Bar. DOC CHAMBERS(VO) Don't move, I'll meet you in ten minutes. T.J. MORROW How will we know each other? DOC CHAMBERS I'll be the tall black man wearing a white Cubs hat. T.J. MORROW I'm wearing a... DOC CHAMBERS (int.) You've been all over the TV, I'm sure I'll find you. INT. POLICE STATION - CAPTAINS OFFICE The men continue talking. The agents sit around the desk as the two detectives sit near them perched on and against file cabinets.
58. FRANK RODRIGUEZ He's expecting me to come alone. The guy used to be a cop, he'll smell a set-up a mile away. AGENT SMITH We'll handle that part of it. AGENT PROVO Let's go. EXT. FREMONT STREET - EVENING The hustle and bustle of Fremont Street is in full bloom. Thousands of tourists walk aimlessly from one money pit to the next. T.J. Morrow stands looking for his rendezvous. While he looks around, he is startled by a man, DOC CHAMBERS, who grabs his shoulder. Walk. DOC CHAMBERS Don't turn around, just walk.
The two men walk towards the side of the building. DOC CHAMBERS Turn here. They turn around the side into an alley. DOC CHAMBERS That's far enough, turn around and listen closely. T.J. turns around reluctantly. Doc begins to frisk him quickly. Opening his shirt to check for a wire. He finds the gun in T.J.'s waist. DOC CHAMBERS Are you trying to get killed. T.J. MORROW I'm sorry, I'm new at this. DOC CHAMBERS Let's see the tape. T.J. MORROW Wait a minute. How do I know that you aren't with them? DOC CHAMBERS If I were with them, you would be dead. (MORE)
59. DOC CHAMBERS (CONT'D) In about five seconds I am going to walk back onto the street and disappear, if you want my help, you need to trust me. NOW. T.J. MORROW I don't have the camera with me. Doc starts to walk away quickly. T.J. MORROW Please wait. I gave it to a bellman to hold. I don't know who you are and I'm supposed to meet with the Cop in ten minutes. DOC CHAMBERS What's on the tape. T.J. MORROW It shows my friends getting shot. DOC CHAMBERS Who shoots them? T.J. MORROW First a security guy shoots my friend Andy on accident. Then this prick Pope shoots Wayne O'Connor, he's a cop. Should I just give the tape to the cops? Cops hate cop killers. DOC CHAMBERS That's true, but if Pope is really involved, you won't live long enough for anyone to see that tape. T.J. MORROW So what should I do, I'm supposed to meet this cop, now. DOC CHAMBERS Nothing. See those two men, with the hawaiian shirts? T.J. MORROW Yeah, why? DOC CHAMBERS Check their ears...see the piece. Your buddy sold you out. We're gone. The two men walk down the alley away from Fremont Street.
60. EXT. FREMONT STREET - EVENING Frank Rodriguez sits alone on the bench. He looks around trying to see if he can spot T.J. He wears a wire, he lowers his head and starts talking into it. FRANK RODRIGUEZ He's not coming. Damn it. He looks around some more, window to window, door to door...nothing. FRANK RODRIGUEZ He's onto us. Son of a bitch. could have had him here. I
He gets up and walks to the other side of the street. He looks around and sees the two agents in the Hawaiian shirts. FRANK RODRIGUEZ Jesus, why not wear a sign that says COP. TOURIST Excuse me? FRANK RODRIGUEZ Not you, I'm just talking to myself. TOURIST OKAY. (turns to his wife, whispers) Coo-coo... Frank walks down the street and around the corner. into a waiting sedan and they drive off. INT. A MILITARY BASE - POPE'S OFFICE Closeup of a computer screen with the name Thomas John Morrow highlighted. Pope looks at a computer display of some information about T.J. Morrow. He is altering records. POPE Thomas, Thomas, now this is unfortunate. This is not going to look good. Agent Provo and York walk through the door. He gets
61. POPE (angrily) What do you think you're doing? You knock on my door. Get out. The two M.I.B. walk back out, sheepishly. The men knock on the door. POPE (Totally calm) Just a second. He acts like nothing happened. been working on. POPE Come in. The two M.I.B. enter his office, still sort of freaked out. POPE What's up? AGENT PROVO Valerie Roberts is dead. POPE What did she know? AGENT PROVO Well, sir that is the problem, she died before we could find out what she knew. POPE Explain? Provo gives a "not my fault, blame this guy" look at York. AGENT YORK Apparently, she struggled and our man pushed her off and she smashed her head on a stone fireplace. POPE Well that is fantastic. police know? Do the He minimizes what he had
AGENT YORK We're not sure, I'm sure they will eventually check her out to see if she knows anything about Morrow.
62. AGENT PROVO There was a neighbor peeking around, she might call the cops. Pope sits shaking his head. AGENT PROVO I think we're alright here sir, even when the cops do find her, they'll think it was Morrow. AGENT YORK Yeah, that's exactly what I think. POPE I don't recall asking what you think. INT. ANTONIO JONES CAR - SAME TIME Frank pulls out his cell phone and starts dialing. FRANK RODRIGUEZ I hope he still has the phone on him. The phone rings and rings. INT. DOC CHAMBERS VAN - SAME TIME T.J. sifts through his bag and hears his phone ring. DOC CHAMBERS You expecting a call? T.J. MORROW I'm not sure. The number is private. DOC CHAMBERS Let me see that. T.J. hands his phone to Doc, who immediately throws the phone out the window. T.J. MORROW What the hell are you doing? That's a two hundred dollar phone. DOC CHAMBERS That WAS a two hundred dollar phone. Did you use that when you called me? When you called the cop? T.J. MORROW Why?
63. Doc swerves quickly over to the turn lane and turns down a side street. He slams on the brakes. DOC CHAMBERS Get out. T.J. MORROW WHAT? DOC CHAMBERS Get out of my car. T.J. MORROW I'm sorry. Can they trace the call, on my cell? Not anymore. DOC CHAMBERS Get out.
T.J. MORROW Where am I supposed to go? DOC CHAMBERS I can't risk working with you. You are as clueless as a blind man in a strip club. T.J. MORROW I'm sorry, this isn't an everyday thing for me. My whole life is gone. The whole city thinks I killed my two best friends. Everything I have is either in my pocket or in this bag. (pauses for reaction, none follows) How can you toss me out, knowing that my life is at stake...how would you feel it it was you. What would... Doc grabs him by the shirt collar. DOC CHAMBERS (angrily int.) YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT LOSSES... T.J. pulls himself back. T.J. MORROW What the hell is going on? you? Who are
64. INT. NETWORK HEADQUARTERS - ENTRANCE T.J.and Doc walk through a dark hallway. This is the entrance to "THE NETWORK" an underground hide out for a select group of people framed, discredited or wanted by the Government. As they walk, they get to a steel door, outside the door is a punch pad. DOC CHAMBERS This place does not exist, I do not exist and once we walk through this door...you no longer exist. T.J. MORROW Whatever, let's go. DOC CHAMBERS There's no going back. Doc pushes the buttons on the door and the two men open up the door to a common area shared by the people of "The Network." INT. NETWORK HEADQUARTERS - DAYROOM T.J. MORROW What is this place? DOC CHAMBERS Sit down, over there. Do you want something to drink? T.J. MORROW Yeah, scotch and soda. DOC CHAMBERS No alcohol here friend. Everything's unleaded. T.J. MORROW How 'bout a Coke? (pauses) Is it just you here? Doc walks from the kitchen to a small table in the center of the room. He takes two COKES and places them on the table and sits down. DOC CHAMBERS I used to be a scientist. I worked for the Department of Energy. About four years ago I was approached to work on a highly classified Black Op's project.
65. T.J. MORROW Weapons or aircraft? DOC CHAMBERS Weapons. We were testing a virus that made the black plague look like the common cold. I worked on it willingly, at first. I thought it was better we had it than someone else. T.J. MORROW Yeah. DOC CHAMBERS One day, my daughter walks up to me and says, "Daddy do you make medicines that make people fell better?" My mother had just died of cancer and...Anyway, I realized that this is not what I wanted to do anymore. T.J. MORROW So you quit? DOC CHAMBERS You can't quit. It's not McDonalds. I asked out. They said if I left before the project was done they would ruin me. So I finished the project. I went back and told them that was it, I was done. I had a hidden camera with me one day when I came in and I threatened to give it to the media if they didn't let me out. T.J. MORROW So they let you out? Do you still have the tape? DOC CHAMBERS They LET me out, and I gave them the tape. Two days later, I went to the market and I came back and my house had burned down. They blew up my house. My wife burned to death. My daughter was in the bathtub at the time, they found her with her little rubber duckie burned to her tiny fingers.
66. T.J. MORROW I'm sorry. I didn't know...so, how did all this come about? DOC CHAMBERS Anyway, I ran. I came in contact with a couple of people that were in the same position, hiding out and we formed this...The Network. T.J. MORROW I don't understand? DOC CHAMBERS We take care of each other. We all work for cash, some of us do manual labor, some beg, some borrow and... T.J. MORROW ...some steal. What do you do? DOC CHAMBERS I organize. T.J. MORROW So it's like a commune? DOC CHAMBERS No, we aren't doing this for enlightenment, we are doing it for survival. T.J. MORROW So, what do you do? What's all the computer equipment for? Doc gets up and walks over to the screens. DOC CHAMBERS This is the brain. This system has enough information to shut the Government down. If this info got into enemy hands...millions of lives could be lost. T.J. crosses over the system. T.J. MORROW What's in there that is so special? Doc starts clicking away at keys. the action on the monitors. As he clicks we follow
THE FOLLOWING SEQUENCE IS A MONTAGE OF SHOTS.
67. The footage should match the narration (obviously.) The first sequence shows shots of weapons, aircraft, and hush hush meetings. DOC CHAMBERS(VO) We are all connected...somehow. Some of the people here worked on Weapons, some on Aircraft. Some were involved with Politicians, cover-ups...you name it. T.J. MORROW(VO) How many people live here? DOC CHAMBERS(VO) Four of us. He clicks on files on the computer, each one revealing members of the Network. DOC CHAMBERS(VO) Will Spiller. Former Pilot. He works as a go between with our Fly buddies. One of the best to ever fly, before he got set-up. T.J. MORROW(VO) He looks familiar. DOC CHAMBERS(VO) This is Janine Walker. She also works with Aircraft. She was in the reverse engineering field. (he clicks another file) This is Robert Durango. T.J. MORROW(VO) The scientist? He was working on cloning humans...didn't he die? I remember his lab got bombed by some psycho bible banger. Doc clicks another file which shows the newspaper clippings. DOC CHAMBERS That's what the papers and TV said. But, he's not dead. Matter of fact, I had breakfast with him today. T.J. MORROW Jesus.
68. DOC CHAMBERS(VO) We have several more members, but we are spread out. We've got moles in Black Ops projects from Nellis to Los Alamos and just about everywhere else. T.J. MORROW Are you trying to get your lives back? DOC CHAMBERS What lives? Our lives are GONE, your life is GONE. T.J. Morrow, this is your life. T.J. MORROW No, this is a hideout, not a life. I still have MY tape, I can prove that I didn't do what they say...I can show... DOC CHAMBERS (int.) Do you seriously think you are going to live to show that tape? If you show up in the "Real World", they will kill you. THE FRONT DOOR opens and THE PANHANDLER henceforth known as JANINE WALKER walks in holding a shopping bag and some groceries. She immediately notices T.J. and drops the groceries. She walks right past him and into the kitchen. JANINE WALKER Doc, can I have a word with you? Doc gets up from the desk and walks towards the kitchen. INT. NETWORK HEADQUARTERS - KITCHEN JANINE WALKER What the hell are you thinking? The whole damned city is looking for that guy. DOC CHAMBERS I know, but he may be able to help us. JANINE WALKER How can he possibly help us?
69. DOC CHAMBERS He's got a tape. He's got some video of some M.I.B guys shooting his friends, it could really cause them some major headaches, it involves Pope. JANINE WALKER Of course you've seen this tape? DOC CHAMBERS Not yet, let's have a look. They walk out of the kitchen. INT. VAL ROBERTS HOUSE - LIVING ROOM A phone rings on a table. VAL ROBERTS(VO) Hi, this is Val. I'm not here, wait for the beep. INT. POLICE STATION - DETECTIVES OFFICE Frank Rodriguez hangs up the phone. ANTONIO JONES Any luck? No. FRANK RODRIGUEZ Answering machine.
ANTONIO JONES Well, let's swing by there after Morrow's place. He stands up and throws some car keys to Frank. INT. A MILITARY BASE - INSIDE POPE'S OFFICE Pope talks on the phone. He looks at a monitor which has schematics of a plane. The plane is the legendary "AURORA", a top secret plane the Air Force allegedly has in it's arsenal. The Aurora is rumored to go as fast as Mach 6(more than twice as fast as the F22,)have stealthing capabilities and travel in space. It is widely believed to have been reverse engineered from alien technology. POPE We will be fully operational by March.
70. (he pauses for the other unheard person's reply) POPE Let me explain something, nothing, I repeat nothing will get in the way of this test. A KNOCK AT THE DOOR. POPE I'll get back with you. He hangs up the phone. POPE Come in. AGENT ROSS Mr. Pope, you wanted to see me? POPE Yeah, have a seat. The M.I.B. sits down in front of Pope. He is obviously nervous.
POPE I have been told there are some, shall we say, challenges in your section. AGENT ROSS Challenges? POPE Tonight is very crucial to the advancement of this project, do you understand? AGENT ROSS Yes sir. POPE Needless to say, I would be very disappointed in you if all of the hand work we've done is ruined because you are too stupid to meet deadlines. Now you understand that if... AGENT ROSS (int) Sir, I can assure you...
71. POPE (int. and raising his voice...slightly) You understand that if there is a problem with the test tonight, I am going to blame you and then I am going to kill you. (pauses) I hate having to kill people with families. (He turns to Ross) I guess I'm just a big softie. So please, make sure we do not run into any more "challenges." AGENT ROSS Yes sir. Pope waves his hand telling him to leave and turns back to the computer screen. Agent Ross leaves the room. INT. NETWORK HEADQUARTERS - DAYROOM Doc, T.J. and Janine sit on a couch. T.J. narrates a play by play of the video. They have seen it twice and are now trying to see if they can make out faces or voices clearly enough. DOC CHAMBERS Did he just say, "you got blood on my shoe?" JANINE WALKER Stop it there. Go back a couple of frames, stop, right there. Look at his face, he's smiling. T.J. MORROW I don't understand, who is Pope? How do you know him? DOC CHAMBERS The real question is why was he there, a couple of trespassers is hardly enough to get him out of his office. JANINE WALKER What were you guys looking for again? T.J. MORROW They were supposed to be test flying a secret plane. JANINE WALKER The Aurora?
72. T.J. MORROW Yeah, how do you know about it? DOC CHAMBERS Janine helped build it. JANINE WALKER More like rebuild it. EXT. T.J. MORROW'S HOUSE - DAY T.J.'s house is taped off with CRIME SCENE TAPE. A couple of cops are on the porch talking, a photographer takes pictures. INT. T.J. MORROW'S HOUSE - LIVING ROOM FRANK RODRIGUEZ So, where is the blood? Where is the bullet? Where is the whole in the wall? This whole thing stinks. ANTONIO JONES D.O.D. guys say Morrow cleaned up after himself. In the corner are two M.I.B. types. Rodriguez and Jones. They are looking at
FRANK RODRIGUEZ (to the M.I.B's) Let me ask you a question, if Morrow was so meticulous in cleaning up the mess of the murders, why did he leave the bodies? ANTONIO JONES Why not take them out to the desert and stuff them next to Jimmy Hoffa? The M.I.B.'s don't reply, they continue to look at the two detectives. This pisses off Jones and he gets in the face of one of the men. ANTONIO JONES Oh, a hardcase huh? You government guys are so tough. FRANK RODRIGUEZ It's easy to be tough when you can hide behind National Security.
73. M.I.B. 1 Excuse me, but don't you boys have some reports to fill out. I'm certain that the families of these victims would rather you were doing REAL police work than the Barney Miller job you've done so far. Frank jumps up in the guys face and just stares at him for a second, then he steps back, composes himself and laughs at the guy. FRANK RODRIGUEZ C'mon Tony, let's leave these two agents to their work. The men walk out of the room and onto the lawn. EXT. T.J. MORROW'S HOUSE - DAY ANTONIO JONES What was that? FRANK RODRIGUEZ I am not going to let those pencilnecks get to me. Something here ain't right. We need to find this Morrow guy, before they do. They walk towards their car. EXT. 7-11 PAYPHONE - EARLY EVENING T.J. stands at a payphone, still trying to contact Val. When he gets no answer he walks away from the phone. INT. POLICE STATION - DETECTIVES OFFICE - EARLY EVENING Frank Rodriguez looks over a file. Antonio Jones walks in with a less than thrilled look on his face. ANTONIO JONES Valerie Roberts is dead. FRANK RODRIGUEZ Jesus, was it Morrow? Antonio sits down, shaking his head.
74. ANTONIO JONES We received an anonymous call that someone saw Morrow in the area. Two blues went to check it out. They knocked on her door, no answer. One of the officers looked through the window and saw her lying on the floor. FRANK RODRIGUEZ How? ANTONIO JONES It looks like she was struggling, knocked over furniture and stuff. FRANK RODRIGUEZ How? ANTONIO JONES Her head was smashed against the fireplace. Jesus. Nope. (he grabs the file from Frank) Everything points to our guy. FRANK RODRIGUEZ I don't know man, this shit doesn't add up. Something is not right about this whole thing, what do you think? ANTONIO JONES Hey man, I don't know. All I know is that everywhere T.J. Morrow goes, people die. INT. CASINO CAFE - NIGHT Janine Walker sits alone at a table reading a menu. She looks up from the menu at someone. Hello. JANINE WALKER It's time to clear my tab. FRANK RODRIGUEZ Was their forced entry? ANTONIO JONES
CAMERA PANS ACROSS TABLE TOAgent Provo, who grabs a menu, smiles and says...
75. AGENT PROVO What do you got? INT. NETWORK HEADQUARTERS - DAYROOM-NIGHT T.J. sits at a desk talking to THE VET a.k.a. WILL SPILLER, late 50's, he sits in a wheelchair, it is obvious life got the best of him. Another man, ROBERT DURANGO, a.k.a. THE MUSICIAN sits near them. He is in his mid forties, he is dressed in A LONG WHITE ELVIS JUMP SUIT. WILL SPILLER You ask a lot of questions. you used to be a cop? Did
T.J. MORROW Worse, I was a reporter. I'm a bartender now, I moonlight as an Alien Investigator. ROBERT DURANGO Does it look like we are aliens? T.J. MORROW No, I am not investigating you, I'm just curious about this place. I'm interested in your lives. ROBERT DURANGO Our lives? We don't have lives, I play guitar on the street. I make about 200 dollars a day. That's my life, any more questions? He gets up and storms out of the room. T.J. MORROW Jeez. You see, that's why I don't like Elvis, he has no social skills. WILL SPILLER You don't really hate Elvis do you? No one hates Elvis. T.J. MORROW I guess I'm no one. Why's he so touchy? WILL SPILLER A lot of us are trying to forget. I'm getting so old, all I want to do is remember. T.J. MORROW You were a pilot.
76. WILL SPILLER Yes, how did you know that? T.J. MORROW I interviewed you, about six years ago. You were at Nellis talking about test flying the stealth. You were walking then. WILL SPILLER Yeah, I remember. T.J. MORROW So, what happened? WILL SPILLER I talked too much. It's different for guys like me. I didn't get any of the technology, I didn't know how any of it worked, I just knew how to fly. (he pulls a flask from his waist) I was going to write a book about my experiences. I didn't write anything about material that was deemed sensitive. It was really tame. He slugs down a drink from the flask, then offers it up to T.J. who passes. WILL SPILLER One day, a man shows up and asks me about my book. So I told him. He told me to stop writing it immediately, he pulled out pictures of my son walking to school. (he takes another drink) I got scared. I went to the press and told them about the threats. I was working for the airlines at the time. They set me up. I never drank on fly day. Never. I didn't drink that day, I swear to god. T.J. MORROW I don't get it. What did they do? WILL SPILLER They set me up, I said. I got into an accident, the other driver sped off...it was one of them. (MORE)
77. WILL SPILLER (CONT'D) The cops arrested me for suspicion of drunk driving, I refused a breathalizer, they took an illegal hair sample and it came back positive. T.J. MORROW Why did you refuse to blow? WILL SPILLER Screw them, I told them I had to get to the airport, the cop was just jerking me around. I did not touch a single drink that day. They said my blood alcohol level was point three seven. POINT THREE SEVEN, that is comatose drunk. T.J. MORROW That's almost dead. WILL SPILLER It gets better. So, I lost my license and my job. Then a bunch of credit card charges show up for a hotel that I have never been to before. Along with flowers and dinner. T.J. MORROW Was your card stolen? WILL SPILLER That's what I thought, but I still had my card. So I disputed the charges, but all of the receipts were signed by me. T.J. MORROW Forgeries? WILL SPILLER Of course. I'd never been to any of those places. They even had a lady call my house and harass my wife. So she left me. She thought I was a liar and a drunk and she took my son and moved to Chicago. T.J. MORROW Did you lose your legs in the accident? Will stands up and sheds a clever blanket device over his wheelchair. The wheelchair has a whole in the seat and underneath the chair is a well designed theft box.
78. WILL SPILLER This helps me in my job here.
T.J. MORROW You're the thief. WILL SPILLER I prefer the title, Procurement Specialist, but whatever. T.J. MORROW Wow, what do you, "procure?" WILL SPILLER Whatever we need. Whatever I can. T.J. MORROW Ever been caught? WILL SPILLER Who's going to stop a crippled, dirty, drunk, obnoxious individual like myself. I don't even get approached in stores, most people refuse to even make eye contact. Doc enters from adjoining room. He holds a file.
WILL SPILLER Ain't that right Doc, most folks won't even look at me? DOC CHAMBERS (joking) Can you blame them? They both laugh. WILL SPILLER Did you know T.J. hates Elvis? DOC CHAMBERS Nobody hates Elvis. T.J. MORROW I do, I hate him. There, can we get past it now? Doc looks at Will and shrugs his shoulders. file to T.J. He hands the
DOC CHAMBERS Check this out T.J., look and see if you recognize any of these men.
79. T.J. MORROW That's Regan, right? DOC CHAMBERS Yes, President Regan. Anyone else? T.J. MORROW Let's see, James Brady...ughh...no, the rest of these guys all look alike. Why? DOC CHAMBERS Check the guy in the far corner, with his head down...look familiar. Doc takes a seat next to T.J. T.J. MORROW Pope? DOC CHAMBERS This was taken the day Regan was shot. You know how it is always made out that Hinkley shot James Brady in an attempt to assassinate Regan? T.J. MORROW Yeah? DOC CHAMBERS We think it was actually an attempt to assassinate Brady and Regan was the one "accidentally" shot. Before Brady worked for Regan, he held various positions in government, one as an assistant to the Secretary of Defense. T.J. MORROW Didn't he work for Connally's campaign? DOC CHAMBERS Yes, this was prior to that. Anyway, Brady received a file that claimed the C.I.A. had been involved in the killing of Chilean exile leader Orlando Letelier. T.J. MORROW Who? WILL SPILLER He was a freedom fighter in Chile prior to their Dictatorship...
80. DOC CHAMBERS The important part wasn't who was killed, or even so much why, but the fact that the C.I.A. let it happen. WILL SPILLER ...in our capitol no less. Will walks across to the kitchen. T.J. MORROW So what, why didn't Brady say anything about it earlier? DOC CHAMBERS Brady planned on using the information to advance his own career. T.J. MORROW Blackmail. Will walks out of the kitchen with a coke. WILL SPILLER Exactly. He knew that a certain member of Regan's cabinet did not want that information EVER to go public. T.J. MORROW George Bush. DOC CHAMBERS See, your not so dumb after all. See the plan was, Brady blackmailed Bush for a higher position in either the next term or if Bush were ever to become President. Will opens the coke and starts to pour. T.J. contemplates the magnitude of all of this information. T.J. MORROW Wait a minute. Are you saying, George Bush had James Brady and in turn Regan, SHOT? DOC CHAMBERS Bush's involvement in this plot is sketchy at best. Hinckley was a plant. He was a nutcase with an agenda, but he was also very well trained and very well prepared.
81. T.J. MORROW Trained by who? WILL SPILLER I'll give you one guess. T.J. MORROW Pope? DOC CHAMBERS Bingo. T.J. MORROW Who the hell is this guy? DOC CHAMBERS He is what's known as a shadow. You can see him plain as day, but the moment you get close enough to touch him...he disappears. WILL SPILLER Pope has made a habit out of resurfacing in very hot projects. His specialty now is Area 51, most believe he is the Director of Operations. DOC CHAMBERS But, seeing that Area 51 doesn't exist...wink, wink, there is no Director of Operations. Coincidentally enough, there are no records of Pope anywhere. Doc walks across the room to a computer work station. DOC CHAMBERS We have access to a number of computer systems here and Pope's name, face...nothing. T.J. gets up and walks to Doc. T.J. MORROW The guy is like a phantom, that's great, I am going to be killed by a guy who doesn't exist. WILL SPILLER (standing) But, you have proof that he does exist. (MORE)
82. WILL SPILLER (CONT'D) Your tape not only shows his face, but shows him killing someone...you have no idea the power you hold in that little tape. DOC CHAMBERS It could save us all. WILL SPILLER Or kill us all. INT. A CASINO BAR - EVENING Rodriguez and Jones talk to BILL SHANNON, a bartender that worked with T.J. He is in his late forties early fifties. He speaks with a slow drawl and is very deliberate when he talks. FRANK RODRIGUEZ Ever seen him angry? BILL SHANNON Naw. He's always smilin'. That boy was like a cat in a catnip factory. Bill wipes down a couple of glasses while the detectives question him. ANTONIO JONES You never saw him argue with his friends? Specifically that night? BILL SHANNON I wadn't working that night, but I came in here to have a drink with my wife who works over there in the V.I.P. booth. We saw T talking to his buddies that night and I can tell you right now, they were laughing up a storm. FRANK RODRIGUEZ Did you happen to hear anything about what they were doing? Bill walks down a little to get a drink for another customer who sits nearby. BILL SHANNON You need another beer Robbie? ROBBIE Yep.
83. Bill grabs the beer, pops the top and walks back to the detectives. He starts wiping the glasses down again. BILL SHANNON T.J.'s real funny about that. One time he's telling a couple of us about one of his "investigations" and our boss heard him and laughed in his face. We all kind of laughed and T.J. was real hurt by it. He never talked about that stuff again. FRANK RODRIGUEZ Did T.J. have any enemies, gambling debts, angry ex-girlfriends, anything like that? Bill slams the rag down on the bar. BILL SHANNON Let me say something right now and you boys can write this down. T.J. Morrow did not kill those men. I know who did, though. ANTONIO JONES Enlighten us Mr. Shannon, who killed them? BILL SHANNON The gubment. T.J. probly snooped where he wadn't sposed to be snooping and found something he wadn't sposed to find. Matter of fact, I'd be s'prised if T.J. himself ain't dead. Poor boy. The two detectives look at each other and sigh. FRANK RODRIGUEZ Alright, Thanks Mr. Shannon. If we need anything else we'll call you. The detectives get up and start walking out. BILL SHANNON Alright fellas, you remember what I said now, T.J.'s innocent, it's a conspiracy. Jes like Kennedy. INT. THE BLACK CAR - A SECURED ROAD IN AREA 51 - EVENING Three men sit in the car, Pope, THE DRIVER and CONGRESSMAN SMITE. They watch or just watched a test of the Aurora.
84. CONGRESSMAN SMITE Well Mr. Pope, I am definitely impressed. This project will bring in billions, maybe trillions of dollars. When will it be ready for production? POPE A full run could be out in less than a year. But, before production is started, we would need absolute commitment from your people. CONGRESSMAN SMITE Damn it, you got it. That damned thing looks like a spaceship. I'll talk to Senator Barnes first thing tomorrow. We'll have funds no later than Friday. POPE Excellent. Well Congressman if that concludes our business, than I'll ask you to excuse me, I have a few calls to make. CONGRESSMAN SMITE Understood, I'll be in touch. The Congressman shakes hands with Pope and exits the car. POPE Driver, back to the batcave. (he starts to dial his phone) Oh, and driver, raise the glass. THE DRIVER Yes sir. The privacy glass raises and Pope dials a number on his cell phone. POPE Smite's in. (pauses for response) He say's Barnes money talks on Friday. (pauses for response) Yes, I agree. What's going on with our other little project...any news on Thomas? (MORE)
85. POPE (CONT'D) (pauses for response) Thomas Jefferson you imbecile...Thomas Morrow, you know, the cop killer. (pauses for response) I'll be back in about 20 minutes. We'll talk then. He hangs up the phone and looks out the window at the desert sky. DISOLVE TO: TILT SHOT OF SKY DOWN TO: ACT THREE INT. NETWORK HEADQUARTERS - EVENING T.J. sits on the couch, looking over a file of information on Pope. Janine Walker enters the front door. T.J. MORROW What's up? Janine crosses over to the couch and sits down next to T.J. JANINE WALKER T.J. grab your stuff, we need to go. T.J. puts the folder on the table. T.J. MORROW Where are we going? JANINE WALKER I found Valerie. I got a place we can meet, it's safe, but we need to go now. T.J. gets up anxiously. T.J. MORROW Great. Let's wait like five minutes, Doc went up to the store for something, he should be right back. JANINE WALKER (angrily) No, T.J. we need to go now.
T.J. grabs his satchel and starts walking.
86. T.J. MORROW Alright, let's go. EXT. AN ABANDONED BUILDING - EVENING T.J. and Janine sit by her car, waiting for someone. A black car pulls up slowly and T.J. notices that one of the men inside wears a police uniform. T.J. glares at Janine. T.J. MORROW You set me up. T.J. takes off running, followed closely by the black car. He ducks off into an alley, thinking he lost the car. Suddenly, bright headlights shine into the picture, T.J. turns to go the other way and sees the FAKE COP standing in his way, gun drawn. FAKE COP It's over, no where to run pal. T.J. puts his hands on the top of his head. Agent York gets out of the black car, shaking his head. The Fake cop grabs T.J.'s arms and yanks them behind his back. T.J. MORROW Easy Serpico, I'm not resisting. The Fake Cop leans into T.J. and whispers. FAKE COP Neither did your girlfriend...but that didn't stop me. T.J. MORROW You better be lying. FAKE COP Oh yeah, whatcha gonna do, tell the Cops? Enough. AGENT YORK Where is the tape?
T.J. MORROW I don't have it.
87. Agent York nods at the Fake Cop, who quickly raises T.J.'s arms behind his back and slams his face onto the hood of the car. AGENT YORK Do not play games with me Thomas. The Fake Cop yanks T.J. up quickly, his face is bleeding. T.J. MORROW I'm not playing games, I don't have the tape with me...Pope. The Fake Cop turns to York and smiles. AGENT YORK Actually, I am Agent York, you have no idea how lucky you are that Mr. Pope is not here. T.J. MORROW Sorry, all you N.S.A. pussies look the same to me. The Fake Cop punches him in the kidneys. Janine approaches. JANINE WALKER The tape is not here. AGENT YORK You were supposed to bring him with the tape. Where is the fucking tape. She throws T.J.'s satchel onto the ground. JANINE WALKER He said he had it, I thought it was in the bag. AGENT YORK Well, you know how Mr. Pope feels about failures. Janine starts crying. JANINE WALKER I swear to god, I thought he had the tape. AGENT YORK I'm sorry, time to say goodbye Ms. Walker.
88. He takes his gun from his holster and shoots Janine in the head and places the gun on the roof of the car. AGENT YORK Thomas, I am in no more mood to play. WHERE IS THE TAPE? T.J. MORROW You're crazy. He nods and the Fake cop slams him again. T.J. MORROW FUCK. The Fake cop pulls him up again. T.J. MORROW You guys are real tough, two on one with guns. AGENT YORK (laughing) Thomas, you don't want my friend here to get upset. Your girlfriend upset him and let's just say things didn't exactly turn out her way. T.J. MORROW AGHHHHHHH.... T.J. lashes his head back and smashes it into the face of the Fake Cop, his hands free, he grabs York by the throat and steps behind him grabbing the gun off the hood. The Fake Cop pulls his gun out. Go for it. T.J. MORROW Shoot, you motherfucker.
AGENT YORK Easy. Thomas, you don't want to shoot anyone. T.J. points the gun at the Fake Cop. T.J. MORROW You may be right. Did you know it takes less than four pounds of pressure to crush your larynx. He squeezes harder staring at the Fake Cop.
89. T.J. MORROW Four pounds, I am so bad at math, I have no idea how hard I'm squeezing, I hope I don't go to far. The Fake Cop raises the gun again. T.J. squeezes harder. York raises a hand. T.J. MORROW Raise your hands, turn around and throw your piece as far as you can. AGENT YORK Do it. The Fake Cop turns and chucks the gun about twenty feet. T.J.throws York to the ground. Holding the gun on the two men.
AGENT YORK (laughing) Go ahead, run T.J. Where you gonna go? The radio in the car squawks, startling T.J. He keeps his gun on the two men and walks towards the car. He opens the car door. FAKE COP Maybe you should go to your girlfriends house...oops, she's not home. Suddenly, T.J. slams the door shut walks over in front of the two men. The Fake Cop looks at T.J. and smiles. T.J. shoots him in the head, killing him. He turns the gun to York and shoots him in the chest. He crosses to the car and sees that the keys are not in the car. He walks back over to York and digs through his pockets. York suddenly grabs T.J.'s hand, he had blood coming from his mouth.
90. AGENT YORK (gurgling) Where are you gonna go? (gasping) We'll find you again. T.J. finds the keys in his pocket, shoves his arm away, stands up and shoots him in the head. T.J. MORROW Yeah, but it won't be you. EXT. THE STREET IN FRONT OF THE NETWORK HEADQUARTERS -EVENING. T.J. and Doc talk in front of the building. DOC CHAMBERS You can't go T.J., you'll have to trust me. T.J. MORROW You mean like I needed to trust Janine? Sorry, but this place doesn't have the best credit with me now. Give me the tape Doc, I am going to end this, alone. DOC CHAMBERS T.J., I know you are upset and I'm so very sorry about Val, but you need to listen to me, if you walk away now, I can not help you. I will not help you. T.J. MORROW Yeah, thanks anyway, I think you've helped enough. Doc grabs the tape from his back pocket and tosses it to T.J. T.J. MORROW Look on the bright side, you can go back into your little chicken shit world of make believe now. Good luck Doc. T.J. walks away, down the street...destination unknown. Will Spiller opens the door and wheels down the ramp of the front of the house. WILL SPILLER I found this in her room. Looks like she was trying to make a deal.
91. DOC CHAMBERS So, when she found nothing on us... WILL SPILLER She turned to T.J. Pope's gonna kill him, you know that? DOC CHAMBERS Yeah, I know. INT. POLICE STATION - DETECTIVES OFFICE Rodriguez sits in his office staring at the computer. He looks at a file of T.J. Morrow. Something bothers him about this case. He has that quintessential "cop gut feeling" thing going on. PHONE RINGS. FRANK RODRIGUEZ Homicide, Rodriguez. EXT. PAYPHONE - STREETS OF VEGAS - EVENING T.J. MORROW Detective, this is T.J. Morrow. need to meet with you. INT. POLICE STATION - DETECTIVES OFFICE FRANK RODRIGUEZ T.J., listen to me. Don't hang up. I want to help you. While this conversation goes on, we see a van monitoring the call. They are obviously bugging the detectives line. EXT. PAYPHONE - STREETS OF VEGAS - EVENING T.J. MORROW I need you to be quiet for a second and let me talk. I want to meet in front of the Golden Nugget at 1:30. I got a camera that I can play the tape with and I can prove that I'm innocent. FRANK RODRIGUEZ(VO) I'll be there. Is there anything else you need. T.J. times the call on his watch. T.J. MORROW I need to know how far you'll go to catch the guys who really did this. Are you willing to go all the way? I
92. INT. POLICE STATION - DETECTIVES OFFICE FRANK RODRIGUEZ I'll do what it takes. T.J. for what it's worth, I believe you. T.J. MORROW (V0) That's great. Do me a favor, try and show up alone this time. FRANK RODRIGUEZ You need to trust me. I will be there, alone. And I promise, I will do whatever I need to do... DIAL TONE. Rodriguez hangs up the phone, grabs his jacket and takes off out of the office. EXT. PAYPHONE-STREETS OF VEGAS - EVENING T.J. dials another number. T.J. MORROW Hey it's T.J. I got a plan. EXT. POLICE STATION - A SERVICE VAN ON THE STREET INT. SURVEILANCE VAN - EVENING A Government surveilance team, who just monitored the phone call gets ready to go. One member picks up the phone and dials a number. SURVEILANCE GUY Sir, we got him. POPE(VO) Where is he? SURVEILANCE GUY Well, we don't actually have him now. But, we know where he is going to be. POPE(VO) Then you got nothing. SURVEILANCE GUY Yes sir. INT. THE BLACK CAR - DRIVING ALONG Pope sits with Agent Provo in the back of a car, Ross sits in the front passenger seat.
93. POPE Where is he going to be? SURVEILANCE GUY(VO) He's going to meet with the cop on Fremont, tonight at 1:30. POPE I want an excursion team there, set no later than 1:00. Mr. Morrow is not to be harmed unless absolutely necessary. Is that clear? SURVEILANCE GUY(VO) Of course sir, we'll get him and we'll hold him. POPE Great. Now, let's really try, just try and not screw it up this time. He picks up a picture of Valerie from a file near his lap and looks at it. POPE Like in the case of our girl Valerie, while I am not happy with the means, the end was inevitable. (shaking his head, he really believes this shit) She was a casualty of war and Mr. Morrow should never have gotten her involved. He hangs up the phone. He looks up at the men.
POPE You get that, right? AGENT PROVO Absolutely sir. Ross looks back at Pope. AGENT ROSS Sir, I can assure you, my men... POPE (int.) Turn the car around, we need to go to Fremont Street. I am going to make sure this is done right.
94. INT. NETWORK HEADQUARTERS - DAYROOM Doc packs a BAG, we see a piece of a WHITE JUMP SUIT hanging out. He takes out a 9MM HANDGUN and checks the CLIP. Will Spiller enters and sees Doc packing. quietly. WILL SPILLER Going somewhere? DOC CHAMBERS That damned fool is going to get himself killed. WILL SPILLER You gonna play hero? DOC CHAMBERS I'm gonna try. You game? WILL SPILLER I wish I was, those son of a bitches took everything from me. Doc quickly zips up the bag. DOC CHAMBERS Well, I gotta do this...we all face our demons some day. CUT TO: INT. GOLDEN NUGGET BAR - EVENING T.J. sits quietly in a booth near the bar, he has his head down and nurses a SCOTCH. Phil Wise enters the bar from the rear, he wears a hoody sweatshirt, sloppy and hanging down, he walks directly over to the BARTENDER who, after a quick conversation, points to the booth. Phil walks over slowly and sits down across from T.J. PHIL WISE T.J., I knew it wasn't true...they set you up, didn't they? Yeah. T.J. MORROW Have a seat. He approaches
INT. THE BLACK CAR-PARKED NEAR FREMONT - EVENING Pope sits with four men discussing a plan of action for the events about to unfold. Over a radio we hear the SQUAWK of C.B.-like chatter.
95. POPE I want two teams, North and South. I want half the members of each team dressed Joe Public and the rest like agents. AGENT PROVO Maybe the moron will turn himself in. POPE Let me make one thing perfectly clear. Are you listening Einstein? This man is not stupid, if he were stupid York would still be here and not laying dead. (pausing) Gentleman, Mr. Morrow is to be considered armed and VERY dangerous. He took out two of our men. You got me? (in unison) AGENT PROVO Yes sir. AGENT ROSS Yes sir. EXT. FREMONT STREET - EVENING Several Elvis impersonators walk the street, some are obviously drunk. EXT. VALET PARKING - GOLDEN NUGGET - EVENING Frank Rodriguez' car screeches into the Valet. attendant actually jumps out of the way. VALET 1 Jesus, slow down. Frank opens the door and shows his badge. FRANK RODRIGUEZ Keep it close boys, keep it close. He flicks a five dollar bill at them, it lands on the ground, two of the guys grab for it. INT. VIDEO CONTROL ROOM - GOLDEN NUGGET T.J. and Phil Wise sit at a control board for the hotels Television system. The parking
96. PHIL WISE I can put this on every channel if you want? T.J. MORROW I just need the big one. Are you absolutely sure this will be clear. PHIL WISE I'm certain. T.J. nods and the two men turn to the monitors. T.J. MORROW I need to get downstairs. rehearsal for this one. No dress
PHIL WISE Don't worry, at exactly 1:32 we'll give Las Vegas a show that even the King would be proud of. T.J. shakes his head. EXT. FREMONT STREET - EVENING Frank Rodriguez sits alone on a bench in the middle of the street. BUM 2 walks over near Frank and whispers to him as he walks by. BUM 2 (whispering) Why don't you go grab a beer...officer. Frank looks up at the bum and walks to the beer counter, he is standing behind T.J., he just doesn't know it...yet. Across the way, two men wearing Hawaiian shirts sipping boat drinks talk into their shirts. AGENT 1 The cop is moving. INT. LAS VEGAS CASINO HOTEL ROOM - OVERLOOKING FREMONT POPE Do you see the target? AGENT 2 (VO) Negative. POPE Who just walked by him?
97. AGENT 2 (VO) Some bum, he was a short black man, not our guy. AGENT 1 (VO) Probably asked him for money. POPE Hold your position until our friend shows himself. INT. VIDEO CONTROL ROOM - GOLDEN NUGGET Phil switches tapes in the decks for the in-house system and as he does so, he accidentally hits rewind on T.J.'s tape. He does not notice that the tape is rewinding. He is no longer wearing his hoody. EXT. FREMONT STREET - EVENING In the beer line, Frank tries to look inconspicuous, but since he is a cop that is all but impossible. A man approaches, he wears the hoody sweatshirt we saw Phil in earlier. T.J. MORROW Don't turn around. They're watching. FRANK RODRIGUEZ (muttering) I'm alone on this one, I swear. T.J. MORROW Yeah, well they're here anyway. Listen, in about 30 seconds, my tape will play on that monitor and everything will be clear. You just got to get me out of here...alive, preferably. FRANK RODRIGUEZ (muttering) Don't worry. (regular voice to vendor) Give me one of those football beers. T.J. looks up waiting for the tape to play. Frank pays for his beer and walks towards the bench not taking his eyes off the screen. T.J. checks his watch, 1:32. INT. VIDEO CONTROL ROOM - GOLDEN NUGGET Phil sees the clock and hits play on the tape.
98. The tape plays, but it is obviously cued up wrong as it plays a section from earlier in the evening. EXT. FREMONT STREET - EVENING Frank looks up at the monitor and looks over at T.J., who stands near a pillar and is obviously dumbfounded by what is transpiring. T.J. MORROW Son of a bitch. INT. VIDEO CONTROL ROOM - GOLDEN NUGGET Phil stares at the monitor. PHIL WISE Damn it, what happened here. He starts to fast forward the tape. PHIL WISE (to himself) Sorry, T.J...I'll fix it. INT. LAS VEGAS CASINO HOTEL ROOM - OVERLOOKING FREMONT Pope and the others still look out the window. Frank looking at the big screen. POPE (into his brick) He's trying to play the tape. He's in the Nugget...find the video control room...now. He and the others run out of the room. EXT. FREMONT STREET - EVENING T.J. is in full panic mode. He stares at the screen and back at Frank. The two men in Hawaiian shirts rush past him into the hotel. Frank gets off the bench and walks briskly towards T.J. INT. VIDEO CONTROL ROOM - GOLDEN NUGGET Phil stops the tape at the right point and hits play. EXT. FREMONT STREET - EVENING Pope and his entourage rush out the door onto the street. They brandish their weapons causing tourists to scream. Pope notices
99. The tape plays and it is the scene where Andy and Wayne get shot. T.J. MORROW Look, there is is. Frank stops and looks at the monitor. Suddenly the screen goes to black. INT. VIDEO CONTROL ROOM - GOLDEN NUGGET Phil Wise hunches over the control board, he has been shot. A man in a Hawaiian shirt reaches in and grabs the tape. EXT. FREMONT STREET - EVENING Pope and his group walk up and surround T.J. and Frank. Frank pulls out his gun. T.J. starts to walk away. He sees Andy get shot.
FRANK RODRIGUEZ That's far enough. POPE Officer, we'll take it from here. T.J. MORROW What the hell is this? You saw the tape? FRANK RODRIGUEZ What did I see? I saw a man get shot, I didn't see who pulled the trigger. How do I know it wasn't you? Two men close in on T.J., he pulls out the gun he bought earlier at the pawn shop. He points it at Pope. T.J. MORROW Go ahead, keep walking. They walk a little closer. T.J. MORROW Pope, you're a thorough guy,I'm sure you looked at my Military Records, right? POPE Of course.
100. T.J. MORROW Then you know that I'm an expert marksman. If Blue Hawaii here takes one more step...I'm going to show you just how good I am. Pope, the picture of calmness, smiles and raises one hand signaling his men to stop. POPE What did you think was going to happen? Did you actually believe that you were going to get away with this? T.J. MORROW (to Frank) I'd watch my back if I were you, this guy killed one cop already, you think he won't kill you? Pope smiles. POPE Thomas, I am getting a little tired of these accusations. Are you going to arrest him or do we have to do everything? FRANK RODRIGUEZ T.J., put the gun down. We don't want to do this here. By now a large crowd is nearing. pull up. A couple of bicycle cops
One of the bike cops pulls his gun. Freeze. here? BIKE COP 1 What the hell is going on
FRANK RODRIGUEZ I'm Metro. Take it easy...we've got this under control. T.J. MORROW (pointing to Pope) This guy's a cop killer. (pointing to Frank) And this guy is about to let him get away with it. Frank Rodriguez looks at T.J. and gives him a raised eyebrow "I'm with you" look.
101. BIKE COP 1 (to T.J.) Put the gun down. Now. FRANK RODRIGUEZ Drop it T.J., you've got no where to go. DEAD SILENCE. Suddenly, the SCREEN ON THE CEILING of Fremont Street erupts with a light show. It's an Elvis tribute. JAILHOUSE ROCK screams over the sound system. A large group of ELVIS IMPERSONATORS rush from the front door of the Nugget, they run through the circle of guns. Dressed in a big white jump suit and glasses, Doc grabs T.J. and pulls him through the Elvis group. Get him. POPE Do not let him out of here.
FRANK RODRIGUEZ It's over Pope. I know the truth. Antonio Jones, dressed in a hawaiian shirt makes his way through the crowd. He points his gun at Pope. FRANK RODRIGUEZ You got the tape? ANTONIO JONES We were too late. One of his goons already took care of it, along with Phil Wise. Stupid son of a bitch tried to pop one at me. I was just a little faster...and more accurate. (towards Pope) Doesn't matter though, you saw the tape, right Frank? Frank shakes his head. Pope smugly turns his back and starts to walk away. POPE Well boys, I guess that's all for now. (turns to Frank) Sergeant Rodriguez, thanks for everything. Frank looks at Tony and shrugs his shoulders in disgust, he knows he's been beat.
102. FRANK RODRIGUEZ Tony, take one of these guys and find T.J., make sure nothing happens to him. Jones and one of the bike cops take off towards the Elvis huddle. They search the huddle and question the Elvi...to no avail. Frank points his gun towards Pope. FRANK RODRIGUEZ You're going to jail you son of a bitch. POPE Really? On what charge? You should be happy, I'm not going to call your boss and bring you up on obstruction. It would be truly unfortunate for you to lose your career over this. He turns and starts to walk away. POPE (to one of the agents) Bring the car around. FRANK RODRIGUEZ Don't you fucking move. Pope laughs and keeps walking. Jones runs back over to Frank. ANTONIO JONES He's gonna get away with it, isn't he? FRANK RODRIGUEZ There's nothing we can do. A black car screams up to the street crossing. FRANK RODRIGUEZ No Morrow? ANTONIO JONES Nope, vanished into thin air...what do you want to do? FRANK RODRIGUEZ I guess we need to find him and bring him in. You think he did it?
103. ANTONIO JONES Nope and I know you don't. Frank shakes his head. Pope enters the car and they start to leave. FRANK RODRIGUEZ Well, the laws the law. The car suddenly comes to a stop and the rear window goes down. POPE Oh, Sergeant...if you see Mr. Morrow, tell him I'll have to catch him later. Pope smiles and rolls up the window. The car takes off.
FRANK RODRIGUEZ Sounded like he wants jurisdiction on this one. ANTONIO JONES (smiling) Well, the laws the law. EXT. LAS VEGAS CASINO PARKING LOT Doc, still in Elvis Garb and T.J. stand near the back of a van. T.J. MORROW Nice outfit, so what now? DOC CHAMBERS We go back. T.J. MORROW Back to what? I have nothing to go back to. DOC CHAMBERS Well, that is not entirely true. The van doors open and out steps Valerie. She is alive, her face is bruised, but otherwise she is fine. T.J. looks like he is going to vomit. kisses him, he grabs her face. Val runs to him and
T.J. MORROW They said you were dead, I saw it on TV.
104. VAL ROBERTS Yeah, well they lied. That's what they do. They continue to hold each other. T.J. MORROW (to Doc) Did you do this? DOC CHAMBERS No, I just helped a little. wasn't my plan. What? T.J. MORROW Then who? It
DOC CHAMBERS Let's just say a friend of yours made a promise that he kept...We gotta get out of here. He gets in the van. T.J. looks in the window.
T.J. MORROW What do you mean, we? Val opens the side door of the van and starts to get in. VAL ROBERTS Did I ever tell you that I LOVE to sing? T.J. smiles at Doc, nodding. He gets in the van.
T.J. MORROW (To Val) Is that so? (to Doc) You know anyone looking for a singer? The van starts to leave. DOC CHAMBERS I just might. T.J. MORROW (to Val) So, what kind of music do you like? I've always been a little partial to Elvis. DOC CHAMBERS (mimicking the King) Well, thank you...thank you very much.
105. They laugh and drive away from Fremont. ROLL CREDITS OVER- BURNING LOVE OR SIMILAR ELVIS SONG CAMERA PULLS BACK TO REVEAL THE AREA. FADE OUT.
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue reading from where you left off, or restart the preview.