You are on page 1of 5

Hanley Castle Parish Council

Minutes of the Meeting of the Parish Council held on Thursday, 16th November 2017 at
Hanley Swan Village Hall, starting at 19:00.

Present: Councillors: Sue Roberts (Chairman), Bob Lamb, John Taverner, Sue Adeney,
Sarah Darwent, Wendy Roberts-Powell, Alison Bolton

Apologies: Councillors: Alex Walker. Peter Goodyear (PPW), DCllr Mike Morgan,
Marjorie Nelson (PPW) Gigi Field (Pond Warden)

In Attendance: Mrs Rebecca Abunassar (Clerk), DCllr Andrea Morgan

139/17 Welcome: The Chairman welcomed all present to the November Meeting of
the Parish Council, especially Alice Spearing – Engagement Officer, St Richard’s
Hospice She accepted the apologies submitted to the Clerk. It was noted it was the
last meeting of 2017.

140/17 Declarations of Interest & Dispensation Requests from Councillors


a) Register of Interests: Councillors were reminded that they should have updated
their register of interests and sent them to the Monitoring Officer at MHDC.

b) To declare any Disclosable Pecuniary Interests in items on the agenda and their
nature: None declared

c) To declare any Other Disclosable Interests in items on the agenda and their nature:
None declared

d) To consider and agree all requests from Councillors for the Council to Grant a
Dispensation (S33 of the Localism Act 2011) – None received

Closure of the meeting to allow parishioners present to speak on any matters


relating to the Parish.
None were present. The Chairman invited Alice Spearing to talk to the Councillors about
St Richard’s Hospice and how best to raise its awareness within the community.
Alice explained about the variety of services that were available through the St
Richard’s Hospice for the Worcestershire community which assisted people with life
limiting illnesses. There was no charge for the services provided which ranged from
inpatient care, day care services, family support, community nurses, support groups
and day courses. She highlighted that 77% of its income was derived from donations
via several streams including their shops. Her role was to engage with communities and
to raise the awareness for the host of services the hospice offered and to promote the
fact that it was free, not just for cancer patients and not solely inpatient care. It was
agreed that it would be very beneficial to put an article in the Parish Link and to have a
stand at the occasional Café Market to increase community awareness of such a
fantastic service. Cllr Roberts thanked Alice for attending and said that the Parish
Council would be happy to assist with raising the awareness of the charity.
ACTION: Cllr Lamb to put an item in the Parish Link, Cllr Darwent to provide
Alice with Hanley Café Market contact details.

141/17 Minutes: The Minutes of the Meeting held on 19th October 2017 had been
previously circulated and the minutes were approved and signed.

40/2017
142/17 Matters Arising & Progress Reports not Listed elsewhere on the
Agenda:
Min 124/16: Royal British Legion Subsidence Claim – The Clerk was awaiting a response
from the Insurers regarding the report that had been sent. The Clerk to send the report
to Mike Soley and Laurie Langham of the British Legion to update them of the concerns
of the Parish Council.
ACTION: The Clerk to continue to liaise with both Insurers and email the
British Legion.
Min 151a/16: BT Phone Box Adoption –
The outcome of the application to Cemex for funding was still awaited. The Clerk had
looked into the feasibility of relocating the Phone Box and it appeared to be feasible as
long as the new location had the appropriate permission. The hindering point of
relocating them seemed to be the cost of moving them due to their weight so it would
be checked if Cllr Walker would be able to assist. The location would depend on the use
of the phone box which was still to be decided. Cllr Roberts said she would speak to the
School to find out whether their defibrillator would be available for public access. If it
would not be then the preferred use would be to house a defibrillator.
ACTION: Cllr Roberts to enquire about the school’s defibrillator.

143/17 Finance:
a) Payment of Accounts: Members approved the payments of accounts as in the
presented schedule in Appendix 1.
b) Notification of receipts received: None received.
c) To put forward any financial considerations for the next budget: Cllr Taverner asked
that any considerations for the budget be submitted by the end of the month.

144/7 Planning:
a) To Consider the following applications referred by MHDC for consultation:

Erection of 50 Holiday Lodges with associated


Land At Langdale Wood, Blackmore
16/01771/FUL reception building, parking and landscaping.
Park Road, Malvern, Worcestershire,
(amended)
The application was discussed and it was felt that the additional information did very little to alter the
application and address the concerns originally raised by the Parish Council. It was agreed to continue to
strongly object to the application as it would be detrimental to a beautiful site and negatively impact on
neighbouring landowners and could cause the parish to become an extension of Malvern. The Parish
Council would welcome a similar development but in a different location.

ACTION: The Clerk to respond to MHDC planning

b) To consider under the Scheme of Delegation any Planning Applications received


between the publication of the agenda and the Meeting:

Land At (Os 7957 4248) Hanley Construction of new motor workshop, including
17/01650/FUL
Road Welland MOT bay and training room
The application was discussed and whilst the Parish Council supported the theory behind the application
the location of the site was deemed to be a site of open countryside and therefore any building would be
contrary to the emerging neighbourhood plan so they would have to lodge an objection. It was
commented that other light industrial sites were available within the parish that would welcome this type
of facility.

41/2017
c) Details of Decision Notices Received to-date: -

25 Church End Detailed Application for conversion of existing loft


17/01297/HP Hanley Castle including a new rear dormer window, two front elevation Approved
Worcester WR8 0BL rooflights and one additional side window
Bramley Cottage Proposed extension of dwelling (Former Butchers Shop)
Worcester Road to include existing first floor accommodation with
17/01262/FUL Approved
Hanley Swan, replacement of dormer window to form new side gable
Worcester WR8 0EA and alteration of roof pitch to existing rear 'lean-to'
Ivy House Hanley Repairs to south-west gable timber frame including:
17/00795/LB Swan, Worcester Removal of inappropriate paints. Replace and extend Approved
WR8 0DR existing pentice boards
7 Longcroft Quay Two storey side extension and canopy to side and rear
17/00528/HP Lane Hanley Castle together with changes to fenestration, removal of Approved
Worcester WR8 0BS chimney and new porch.
1 Villa Cottages Change of use of an existing bedding and feed store
Gilberts End Hanley (approved under 00/00660/FUL) to form annexe
17/01299/FUL Withdrawn
Castle Worcester accommodation including alterations to existing
WR8 0AS structure to increase

d) Details of enforcement action: None taken

e) Details of Appeal Notices Received: None received

145/17 Highway Matters


Road Safety Working Party – Cllr Darwent updated the Council following an email from
Hannah Davies. The knee rails by the pond would be completed imminently and the work
to prevent flooding by Tara had been agreed and was in the Highways work schedule.
Cllr Wells confirmed his offer to fund up to £2000 towards the white welcome gates. The
quotations that Hannah provided were circulated and it was agreed to proceed with the
company that Welland used and to get the same style of gate. The Clerk said that she
would place the order with the company for 2 sets of gates to be installed on Welland
Road and the B4209 coming from the Three Counties Crossroads.
ACTION: The Clerk to place the order.
New VAS – The Lengthsman reported that the existing VAS was working well following
its repair and that it would be moved around the parish. The Clerk had sent the invoice
for the 2nd VAS to Ken Nottage and asked if they wished to specify the location or if they
were happy for it to be at the discretion of the Parish Council. His reply was awaited.
ACTION: The Working Party to finalise the location
Works for the Lengthsman – Cllr Taverner mentioned the hedgerow in Picken End by
Tother Cottage was very overgrown and creating a pinch point in Picken End. It was
unsure whether it was from a property or on the highway. Cllr Taverner said that he
would go and visit the site and try and determine who had responsibility for it.
ACTION: Cllr Taverner and the Lengthsman to visit Picken End.

146/17 District & County Councillors Reports


a. District Cllrs Morgan: Cllr A Morgan updated the Council on activities at MHDC. She
confirmed to the Clerk that it was the same form to be completed to apply for ward
funding to go towards the work of the working party to assist with reducing speed.
b. County Cllr Tom Wells: Member not present.

147/17 Report of the:


a. Parish Paths & Tree Warden – Report read out – the Clerk had been contacted by Phil
Coulsdon who was responsible for replacing Finger Post. He clarified that the Council
were not able to arrange for a contractor to install missing posts as they had to be
42/2017
replaced using Ringway, the County Council’s approved contractor. He advised that
they were looking to start working with some parishes on replacement of them and
suggested that a list of all the missing/damaged ones be sent into them and they would
investigate whether they could be scheduled into their work load. Cllr Adeney raised a
question regarding the bullock mentioned in the report and the Clerk said she would
ask Peter what the legislation was surrounding animals and pathways.
ACTION: The Clerk to ask Peter about legistlation surrounding animals by
public footpaths.
b. Playing Field Warden (Graham Holmes) – No report
c. Local Police - Cllr Taverner said that there had been a series of burglaries within
Hanley Swan over the weekend of 11th & 12th November.
d. Pond Warden – The Pond Warden was not present but an update was provided. They
were still waiting to see if they were able to be given a tip pass; DCllr Andrea Morgan
was to follow up the request.

148/17 Neighbourhood Development Plan – Cllr Bob Lamb said he had attended
a meeting with MHDC to assist with the mapping via their central mapping database.
Everything would be put onto their system. David Clarke had also requested a list of
everyone consulted during the development of the plan.

149/17 Correspondence
a) Malvern Hills Community Awards – The Parish Council had put forward 4 nominees
for the awards and three had been invited to attend an awards ceremony on the 29th
November at Langland Stadium. The nominees were Ann Tainton for the Cleaner &
Greener Award; The Pop Up Café for Action in the Community and Gigi & Neil for the
Cleaner & Greener Award. All had been contacted and informed of the invitation.
b) Alternative to Velo Birmingham – The email received had been circulated and it was
agreed that it appeared to be a good idea in principle. Cllr Roberts took the information
to get the opinion of a local cycle enthusiast.
ACTION: Cllr Roberts to get the opinion of local cyclist as to whether it would
work.

150/17 Topics raised by Councillors, Committees, Clerk & Parishioners –


a) Assets of Community Value – The Clerk had emailed a summary of her conversation
with Jo Cross and MHDC. Cllr Adeney confirmed that she had started a dialogue with
the owner as recommended by MHDC. It was agreed to start gathering data to
demonstrate the value of the shop within the community and the support from
parishioners.
ACTION: The Clerk to get suggestions as to what is required and pass them to
Cllr Adeney.
b) Welcome Pack – Cllr Roberts showed the Council the Village Directory that had been
produced.
c) Parish Benches – Cllr Darwent had been approached by a parishioner who was
concerned at the state of one of the Council’s benches. She would find out which one
it was but it was also agreed to undertake an inspection of all the benches within the
Parish to ensure all are safe.
ACTION: The Clerk to inspect and report on all benches within the parish.

151/17 Councillors reports and items for future agenda:


a) Café Market Surgery – It was suggested by Cllr Darwent to have a Parish Council
table at the Café Market where people to discuss parish matters.
b) Parking – Using the church car park for parking for non-church matters.

152/17 Date of Next Scheduled Meeting: 18th January 2018

Signed ……………………………… Date: 18th January 2018


Chairman
43/2017
Appendix 1: Schedule of Payments & Receipts 16th November 2017

Payment of Accounts: The under mentioned accounts were approved:

No. Payee Reason £


1591 New Farm Ground Maintenance October Cuts 852.00
1592 Mrs Abunassar November Salary 414.28
1593 Grant Thornton External Audit Fee 120.00
1594 Gregory Key Grass Cutting 360.00
1595 Peter Sauntson October Lengthsman 84.00

Total 1830.28

Signed ……………………………………… Date: 18th January 2018


Chairman

44/2017