You are on page 1of 5

SWT JSC(08)2nd Draft Minutes 08/12-08/22

DRAFT Minutes of a meeting of Joint Safety Committee held on Wednesday 4 June 2008 at Friars Bridge Court present: Stewart Palmer Managing Director (chairman) Jan Chaudhry Operations Director Ian Johnston Customer Services Director Fred Paine representing Engineering Director Andrew Welsby Human Resources Director Barbara Davenport Head of Employee Wellbeing Martin Peakall Head of Operational Standards Brian Cook Head of Safety and Environment Graham Morris District Organiser (A.S.L.E.&F.) Alan Martin Driver, Island Line (A.S.L.E.&F.) Peter Gale Divisional Organiser (R.M.T.) Bill Read Driver, Waterloo (R.M.T.) Rickey Goodman RO2 Waterloo (R.M.T.) John Walsh Customer Relations Officer (T.S.S.A) Kevin Egan Regional Officer (Unite) Andrew Edwards Legislation and Standards Manager (secretary) Apologies for absence were received from: Mac Mackintosh Engineering Director Martin Dye Company Council member (A.S.L.E.&F.) Iain Anderson Divisional Secretary (T.S.S.A) Item JSC 08/12

The Committee welcomed the Divisional Organiser (R.M.T.) and the Regional Officer (Unite) to the meeting for the first time. The Regional Officer (Unite) informed the Committee that Mick Benfield, the previous Amicus representative had passed away recently. The Committee expressed its condolences. The Committee noted the minutes of the last meeting, held on 12 March 2008. The Committee reviewed progress against open items on the actions tracking log.

JSC 08/13

JSC 08/14

(continued…) Actions tracking log (continued) 2007-17
JSC2008(2nd meeting – June 2008) - Page 1 of 5 -

SWT JSC(08)2nd Draft Minutes 08/12-08/22

The Driver, Waterloo (R.M.T.) commented on anecdotal reports from Drivers that they were having to apply skin cream because cabcooling systems dried out their skin. The Head of Safety and Environment and the Head of Occupational Health confirmed that they have not received any reported problems of this nature. The Driver, Island Line (A.S.L.E.&F.) confirmed the arrangements for cab-cooling on Island Line were suitable and sufficient. 2007-33 The Driver, Waterloo (R.M.T.) asked about the arrangements for the evacuation of the platforms at Waterloo in light of the temporary hoardings at the London end of the platforms. The Head of Safety and Environment confirmed that the new evacuation arrangements retained the ability to evacuate people from the country end of the station but that this would only be in exceptional circumstances. 2007-54 The District Organiser (A.S.L.E.&F.) commented that although he accepted that the Working Time Directive made exemptions for special case workers, he thought that there was scope for SWT to voluntarily apply the requirements of the Directive where these could be met through advance planning. 2008-03 The Driver, Waterloo (R.M.T.) commented that the water dispensers in the stairwells at Waterloo regularly fail because of the heavy use they receive. The Managing Director advised that if staff are aware that the water dispensers have failed, they should report this through their line manager. ACTION (2008-009): Driver, Waterloo (RMT) 2008-05 The RMT Regional Organiser asked to see a copy of the questionnaire used for the safety culture survey. The Legislation and Standards Manager agreed to send the RMT Regional Organiser a copy of the information presented to staff through Switch On which includes a copy of the question set used in the survey. ACTION (2008-010): Legislation and Standards Manager JSC 08/15 The Committee reviewed South West Trains’ safety performance for Periods 12 and 13 2007/8 and for Period 1 2008/9. The Head of Safety and Environment described the current trends for each safety indicator.

(continued…) Safety Performance (continued) 15.01 Layout of the performance report The Head of Safety and Environment explained the change made by RSSB to the use of Fatalities and Weighted Injuries

JSC2008(2nd meeting – June 2008)

- Page 2 of 5 -

SWT JSC(08)2nd Draft Minutes 08/12-08/22

and explained that we have set ourselves challenging targets to improve our safety performance in 2008. 15.02 General trends in safety performance The Committee noted the general improvement in performance across most of the indicators in the pack. No Lost Time Accidents The Driver, Waterloo (R.M.T.) asked about the circumstances of the incident on 5 April where a Driver complained about fumes in the cab of a Class 158 unit. The Head of Safety and Environment advised that the smell was caused by a diesel fuel leak. Management of Contractors The Customer Relations Officer (T.S.S.A) asked whether any action had been taken following the spate of scalding incidents involving Rail Gourmet staff. The Head of Safety and Environment confirmed that as a result of identifying the trend, Rail Gourmet have inspected and replaced defective valves on a number of urns. The Managing Director commented that this is a good example of the value of monitoring contractor performance in the Safety and Environment Report. Staff Assaults The RO2 Waterloo (R.M.T.) asked whether any action had been taken against the individual who assaulted an RPI at Clapham Junction on 12 April. The Legislation and Standards Manager agreed to speak to the Head of Security and Crime Prevention to find out whether we were aware of how the police were dealing with this incident. ACTION (2008-011): Legislation and Standards Manager The Driver, Waterloo (R.M.T.) asked whether there was a time limit on reporting assaults to the police. The consensus of the Committee was that even if there is no legal time limit, it is unlikely that the police will be able to take any action if the assault is not reported promptly. The Legislation and Standards Manager agreed to confirm the legal position with the Head of Security and Crime Prevention. ACTION (2008-012): Legislation and Standards Manager The Customer Services Director briefed the Committee on changes to Personal Security Groups which are now police led with tasking based on local intelligence. The Head of Safety and Environment updated the Committee on the proposal to remove emergency hammers from SWT rolling stock as described in Paper A. The Committee agreed the approach outlined in the paper and asked the Head of Safety and

15.03

15.04

15.05

JSC 08/16

JSC2008(2nd meeting – June 2008)

- Page 3 of 5 -

SWT JSC(08)2nd Draft Minutes 08/12-08/22

Environment to produce a briefing paper to staff advising them of the proposal. ACTION (2008-013): Head of Safety and Environment The Committee agreed that it was not necessary to make passengers aware of the change and that the on train evacuation notices do no need amendment. JSC 08/17 The Legislation and Standards Manager updated Committee members on progress with the proposal to extend unannounced random alcohol and drugs screening, as described in Paper B. The RO2 Waterloo (R.M.T.) asked whether Train Presentation staff at Waterloo are covered by the proposal. The Legislation and Standards Manager advised that it is not currently the intention to include such staff but that he would confirm this position with the Safety, Quality and Environment Manager at Wimbledon depot. ACTION (2008-014): Safety and Environment Manager The Regional Officer (Unite) asked to see a copy of the procedure used by SWT to conduct unannounced random screening. The Head of Occupational Health agreed to send through a copy of the procedure. ACTION (2008-015): Head of Occupational Health JSC 08/18 The RO2 Waterloo (R.M.T.) asked for clarification on the company process for the issue of safety footwear to staff. The Head of Safety and Environment advised that we would only issue safety shoes to staff if this is identified as a requirement by the relevant task-based risk assessment. The Head of Safety and Environment also clarified that there is no requirement to issue PTS holders with safety footwear as the Rule Book only requires suitable stout shoes when on or near the line. The Managing Director also gave the example of Safety critical staff such as signallers where the task based risk assessment would not require the provision of safety footwear. JSC 08/19 The Divisional Organiser, RMT asked how the company goes about determining the need to provide personal protective equipment to staff. The Head of Safety and Environment confirmed that we will provide personal protective equipment where it is identified as required by task risk assessment and we will brief staff on the requirements to store and use the equipment correctly. The Head of Safety and Environment also confirmed that personal protective equipment is at the bottom of the hierarchy of risk controls and we will seek to eliminate or otherwise mitigate the risk if this is reasonably practicable. The Divisional Organiser, RMT asked about the company position on the provision of PTS training to station staff. The Head of
- Page 4 of 5 -

JSC 08/20

JSC2008(2nd meeting – June 2008)

SWT JSC(08)2nd Draft Minutes 08/12-08/22

Safety and Environment stated that the company view is that providing PTS training to staff who are unlikely to have to go out on track frequently could result in an increased risk and that the company has clear instructions on how to deal with emergency situations where individuals can go onto track without PTS in line with Rule Book requirements. The Head of Safety and Environment agreed to forward a copy of these arrangements to the Divisional Organiser, (RMT). ACTION (2008-016): Head of Safety and Environment JSC 08/21 The Regional Organiser (Unite) asked whether SWT had seen any rise in assaults or threats to staff in connection with the introduction of the ban on smoking on stations and other public places that came into force last year. The Legislation and Standards Manager agreed to investigate and report back at the next meeting. ACTION (2008-017): Legislation and Standards Manager The date of the next meeting of South West Trains’ Joint Safety Committee is Wednesday 24 September 2008. Please advise the Legislation and Standards Manager of any items for inclusion on the agenda for this meeting by 5pm on Friday 12 September, including any supporting papers.

JSC 08/22

JSC2008(2nd meeting – June 2008)

- Page 5 of 5 -