This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
cars; inside you will find a selection of those from collections around the world whose owners have asked us to represent them on their behalf. We hope you will find something to suit your discerning taste and remain at your disposal to discuss your requirements or simply to offer professional, up-to-date advice on any aspect of our shared passion.
Cover illustration: Lt Commander Glen Kidston conserving energy atop his Lockheed DL-1 Vega Special monoplane. Inside front cover: Sidney Cotton’s fabulous Lockheed Electra, nicknamed ‘Caprice’, which we present inside. Opposite: Simon introduces sartorial stars Sir Jackie and Paul Stewart to an appreciative Italian public at the 2010 Villa d’Este concours (300SL courtesy Kidston SA).
We’re in the middle of the busiest period in the classic motoring season: concours d’élègance, rallies and tours, auctions and private deals…On both sides of the Atlantic, right now it all seems to be happening. Those who follow the market closely will probably have observed the same trends we’ve noticed. The gap between the best and the rest is widening. Whether it’s the waiting lists to enter the top events compared to the difficulty in getting new ones off the ground, or the buzz when something exciting comes to the market versus the lack of appetite when automotive porridge is served up, there’s a sense that aspiring and established collectors are more knowledgeable than ever and aiming higher. We’ve spent the past few months putting together the selection of motor cars which feature in the presentation you’re holding. For the gentleman collector who thought he already had everything, and reflecting our own developing interests, we’ve broadened our focus to encompass not just exceptional motor cars but a spectacular vintage aircraft and something equally beautiful for your enjoyment on the water this season: the perfect finishing touches to compliment the perfect collection. Hopefully you’ll be behind the controls soon. Simon Kidston If you are holding this portfolio, we count you as an important past, present or future client. We pride ourselves not on the size but the quality of our clientele. Many of you have become friends and we believe that a ‘hands on’, personal approach is key to success in our business. Restricting ourselves to a key group of collectors and choosing to handle only motor cars which we ourselves would be proud to own is an old fashioned concept today, but it allows us to focus fully on each transaction and provide a professional standard of service commensurate with the value of these beautiful automobiles.
1941 Lockheed Electra 12A
Ex-Sidney Cotton and the film ‘Amelia’ 1941 Lockheed Electra 12A Serial no. 1287
There are few more evocative aircraft than the Lockheed Electra, the class of the field in the Art Deco era and the choice of daring pioneer Amelia Earhart for her final, ill fated record attempt. Her complete disappearance, together with her co-pilot and aircraft, remains one of history’s great unsolved mysteries and was turned into a Hollywood film in 2009 starring Hilary Swank and Richard Gere. This Electra has enjoyed a romantic history too, although fate has been kinder to it. Some speculate that the Lockheed 12 seen at the end of the film Casablanca was ‘1287’- after all, it was still at Lockheed’s Burbank factory when the film was being shot almost next door at Warner Bros studios. Others say it was ‘1207’. Who knows? The war intervened and shortly after the Pearl Harbor attacks, the US Navy took delivery of ‘1287’, which flew the Atlantic and was assigned to the office of the US Naval Attaché in London. RAF Coastal Command took it over in 1945 for anti-submarine missions, and during D-Day festivities it was signed by celebrating pilots whose names are still visible on the empennage. Soon thereafter aviation pioneer, WW1 fighter pilot and dashing entrepreneur Sidney Cotton acquired the Electra for his private use, nicknaming it ‘Caprice’, including photo reconnaissance over
Lowest time airframe of ten surviving Electras in flying condition High standard of maintenance with low hour engines and props Fascinating history includes US Naval wartime service in London Immortalised in cinema history Cooler than a Citation...
Above and right: Sidney Cotton (centre) and his prized Lockheed, circa 1950.
Opposite: The Electra, its family owners, the producer (far right) and the stars of the film ‘Amelia’, Richard Gere and Hilary Swank.
Eastern Europe and the Middle East. A close friend of Ian Fleming, larger-thanlife Cotton is often cited as the inspiration for Fleming’s most famous fictional character, James Bond. From Cotton the Electra returned to the RAF as a flying testbed for active radar countermeasures before finally entering a less demanding peacetime life, initially in the hands of a well-known peer of the British realm followed by private and commercial owners on the Cote d’Azur, in Corsica and Valence. The present long-term custodian, a French aviation historian, journalist and documentary producer, has overseen a sympathetic but thorough restoration of the Electra to ensure its complete airworthiness whilst remaining faithful to its historic appearance; over 2,500 man hours have been worked on the aircraft since 2000 and it survives as the only piston-engined airliner still listed on the
French register (‘F-AZLL’, formerly G-AGTL’). In testimony to its authenticity and condition, in 2008 the Electra was flown to South Africa where it served as ‘the other star’ of the film, Amelia. The aircraft has flown just 4,500 hours from new; its engines have 160 hours (left) and 0 hours (right); new Hamilton Standard props were fitted in 2008. Remarkably, most of the interior trim is still original. Just ten Electra 12As are known to remain in flying condition worldwide; seven in the USA, two in Australia and this sole example in Europe.This is the lowest time airframe in existence and the only original example to have lived through history and time.
1947 Cisitalia 202 MM
1947 Cisitalia 202 MM Nuvolari Spyder Coachwork by Garelli/ Stabilimenti Farina Chassis no. 021SMM
Just 30 of these hand crafted racers are believed to have been made, each named in honour of Tazio Nuvolari's epic Mille Miglia drive at the wheel of a similar car, making them one of the most important, significant and successful automobiles built in the years immediately following World War II. Unlike most, this example has a continuous and documented history, starting in sunny Sicily with its appearance at the 1948 Catania-Etna hillclimb and continuing through a handful of Italian collectors until its acquisition via Kidston SA in 2008 by the present enthusiast, a well-known international designer. The level of period detail still present on the car when purchased was remarkable, and the new owner has ensured that performance is also to the same standard.The car therefore underwent a mechanical rebuild by the experienced firm GTO Engineering in the UK to include engine (30bhp more), gearbox (now fully synchronised) and back axle, fully respecting the original appearance. The car has taken part in the Mille Miglia retrospective and is a joy to drive; its sleek and futuristic appearance also endearing it to concours judges. It is UK registered with a number chosen to mimic the original Italian licence plate, 'on the button' and accompanied by ASI homologation, FIVA pass, restoration invoices and a history file.
Known history and never exported from Europe Restored in Italy to concours condition and now fine tuned in the UK ASI and FIVA certified to the highest standard Mille Miglia eligible
Sport Spiderar XK150 ‘S’ Roadster
19581958 Jaguar XK150 ‘S’ Roadster
Ex-Alberto Ascari/ Carrera Panamericana 1952 Ferrari 340 Mexico Coachwork by Carrozzeria Vignale Chassis no. 0226AT
In the early Fifties Ferrari recognized that the company’s best, most enthusiastic and – most importantly – most lucrative market was in North America. Protected by two oceans from the ravages of World War II and turned into an industrial and commercial colossus by the war effort, North Americans were energized, productive, flush with cash and discovering road racing. As much as Europe focused on the Mille Miglia and Le Mans, North America turned its attention to the Carrera Panamericana, a five day, nearly 2,000 mile odyssey the length of Mexico. Begun in a small way in 1950 to promote the opening of the Pan American Highway, it was limited to five-passenger sedans and ran north-to-south. North American marques like Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Nash, Lincoln and Ford dominated the results. Running on surfaces that ranged from loose gravel to smooth tarmac, from tight, twisting mountain stages to hours-long stretches of flat-out running, from close to sea level to passes over 10,000 feet up, it was an unprecedented test of machinery alleviated only by stage checkpoints and four overnight layovers. A year later the organizers loosened the rules to balance the worldwide attention the Carrera had received with a similarly
1952 Ferrari 340 Mexico Dino 246
One of just four examples built Instantly recognizable in its period livery Eligible for the most exclusive historic events worldwide Impeccably presented and with the best possible provenance
international group of entrants. Ferrari entered two cars, 212 Inter coupés with coachwork by Vignale, driven by Piero Taruffi/ Luigi Chinetti and Alberto Ascari/ Luigi Villoresi. Loafing along behind the Packards, Oldsmobiles, Lincolns, Chryslers and Mercurys in the early stages, shadowed by Bracco’s Lancia,Taruffi and Ascari opened up in the late stages employing their Ferraris’ power and long gearing to capture the prizes of $23,180 and $14,487 for first and second places, taking home between them over half the total prize money of $68,380. The third running in 1952 marked the race’s pinnacle. Again heading south-north, factory teams from Mercedes-Benz, Porsche and Gordini raised the stakes, the level of competition and the driver line-up. Like its competitors, Ferrari brought a special model, the 340 Mexico. There were three berlinettas and a spider, all bodied by Vignale with single ignition, 4,101cc Lampredi long-block engines described as making 280 horsepower, five-speed gearboxes, transverse leaf spring independent front suspension and leaf sprung live rear axles on 2,600 mm wheelbase chassis. Entries were variously described
but Texas oilman Allen Guiberson backed at least two. US gentleman driver Bill Spear, the entrant for the spider, didn’t take the start.The three berlinettas were driven by the star-studded roster of Piero Taruffi, Luigi Chinetti, Luigi Villoresi, Franco Cornacchia, Alberto Ascari and Giuseppe Scotuzzi. All three of the 340 Mexico coupés were sponsored by Santiago Ontanon, a Mexican motor racing enthusiast and owner of Industrias 1-2-3 who also entered his own 212 Inter in the race as well as going on to sponsor the Ferrari factory 375 Plus entries in 1954. His ‘Productos 1.2.3’ logo dominated the Mexico’s flanks. Its slogan No hay dos – colloquially translated as “nothing better” – was on the nose. With a diverse line of consumer products ranging from a leading brand of vegetable cooking oil still sold in Mexico to a popular laundry detergent, Industrias 1.2.3’s sponsorship reflected the exposure it got to the thousands of spectators who thronged the Carrera Panamericana route. Historically more significantly, it is one of the first instances of nonautomotive product sponsorship in a major motor race.The ‘Productos 1.2.3’ identity has become inseparably linked with the three Ferrari 340 Mexicos, along with the Sinclair Oil Corporation whose name prominently adorned their front wings and roof.
The third of the 340 Mexico berlinettas, ‘0226AT’, was entered by Ferrari’s North American representative Luigi Chinetti and commended to F1 World Champion Alberto Ascari and his co-driver Giuseppe Scotuzzi. Its saga in the Carrera Panamericana is short, but is ample evidence of Ascari’s intensity and determination. After starting at 7:14 AM, barely a half hour later Ascari had swallowed up nine competitors in an epic charge. His demise is variously attributed to gravel, stones and melting asphalt. His determination was evident. After its retirement from the Carrera Panamericana, ‘0226AT’ was returned to Ferrari and Vignale for repairs then sold by Allen Guiberson to A.V. Dayton in Dallas,Texas in 1953. Carroll Shelby and Ernie McAfee drove it to a 2nd place finish in the Offutt Air Force Base race on 4th July 1953. Its subsequent history reflects the appeal of its history, its performance and its dramatic and attractive Vignale berlinetta coachwork, sympathetically preserved and passing through the hands of a number of owners from 1954 through 1975 without losing its identity or its original engine. In 1975 chassis ‘0226AT’ was acquired by David Carroll in Boston, Massachusetts who sold it a decade later to hotelier and pioneering collector
J Willard ‘Bill’ Marriott Jr, for whom its first and only restoration was performed by David Carte and Skip Hunt, returning it to its historic ‘Productos 1.2.3’ Carrera Panamericana identity. In 1988 the car earned the Phil Hill Award for Best Competition Ferrari and also Best in Show at the Ferrari Club of America National Meet in Elkhart Lake followed by the Peter Helk Award at the 1989 Meadow Brook Concours d’Elegance. In August 1989 it earned Best in Class at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. In 1997 London-based Brazilian collector and racer Carlos Monteverde became ‘0226AT’s penultimate custodian, followed by the present US owner from 1999 onwards who has enjoyed its thrilling presence and performance several times in the Colorado Grand and the Monterey Historic Races. On so many levels Ferrari 340 Mexico ‘0226AT’ is a glorious machine. Driven by heroes in one of road racing’s epic events, the Carrera Panamericana, meticulously restored in its most recognized livery, it has remained together with its original driveline and is impeccably presented. It will honour any collection, historic race, tour, concours or event with its presence.
“… 50 miles out [from the start], just over the first series of hills, the road wound down into a valley across three narrow bridges, then back up into the hills. A blinding blanket of fog lay over the valley and it was here that we awaited the racing pack. “At 7:25 the first car could be heard, as it screamed through the turns and down into the soup, hit the first, second, and the last wooden bridge with a deep rumble, and disappeared. The fog was so thick that only by standing on the edge of the road and straining hard could the first car be distinguished – a Mercedes. “Almost immediately the other two Mercedes-Benz went through, then the fog
began to lift and the next car came off the bridge, a Ferrari driven by Efrain Ruiz Echeverria of Mexico City. Santos Litona Diaz in a Jaguar was next, with Alberto Ascari, who had started in 14th place, trying desperately to pass on a bridge that was hardly wide enough for one. “Fifty miles up the highway, Ascari who finished second last year, lost his Ferrari in some loose stone kicked up in one of the ever present sharp turns, and folded up the front end against a rocky ledge.” Vince McDonald writing in US magazine Speed Age, February 1953
1955 Ferrari 500 Mondial Series 2
Ex-Luigi Taramazzo/ Mille Miglia 1955 Ferrari 500 Mondial Series 2 Coachwork by Carrozzeria Scaglietti Chassis no. 0536MD
“It’s a common misconception that Ferrari sports racers of the 1950s can be neatly categorized into production types, and that changes followed uniformly across the board when the great Enzo decreed them. As my learned friend the French Ferrari author and four cylinder expert Antoine Prunet points out, Ferrari at the time was “un grand bordel” (we Brits would politely call it “a bloody shambles”), at least for historians. Any racer from that period therefore needs to be analyzed on a car-by-car basis.” “The cars most Ferraristi describe as Series 1 Mondials have a Tipo 501 chassis (round tubes) with front transverse leaves, a 4-speed transaxle and a Tipo 110 (two litre, four cylinder) engine; approximately 22 were built in 1954. Sixteen were bodied by Pinin Farina, two as closed berlinettas, and six by Scaglietti. Ferrari also equipped some Tipo 501 chassis with 3 litre or even 3.5 litre engines.” “As for the so-called Series 2 Mondials, these were built in 1955, featured a Tipo 510 chassis (oval tubes) with helical springs, a 5-speed transaxle and a Tipo 111 (two litre, four cylinder) engine, and were bodied by Scaglietti. To add confusion, this same chassis was used for the similar looking 750 Monza, and some cars used both 2 and 3 litre engines: generally speaking, if they were delivered with the 2 litre the chassis suffix was ‘MD’, or ‘M’ for the 3 litre. But only generally…” Simon Kidston for Sports Car Market magazine, November 2009.
Competition history includes ‘55 Mille Miglia Testa Rossa engine fitted in period Original bodywork comes with car Attestation of Historic Interest by Ferrari Classiche
The car we offer here is a Series 2 Mondial with open Scaglietti coachwork and a three litre, four cylinder engine; it began life as a two litre, but as can be seen from the above, engine swaps were common when the cars were new or almost new, and this engine has been fitted to the car for most of its life- ie since 1958. Looking further at this particular car, we have the benefit of a comprehensive inspection report dated 2007 by Keith Bluemel, a member of the IAC/PFA (International Advisory Council for the Preservation of the Ferrari Automobile), as follows: “The car is a 1955 second series Ferrari 500 Mondial, which used a type 510 tubular steel chassis, with a type 111 four cylinder twin overhead camshaft engine of 2 litre capacity, mated to a 5 speed type 509 transaxle. It was supplied new in April 1955 to Italian gentleman racing driver Luigi Taramazzo, who ran in it in the Mille Miglia on race # 628 with Bologna “Prova” registration # BO 46420, on 30th April/ 1st May, days after taking delivery. He was leading his class and
4th overall before retiring on the penultimate stage. Later that year it was exported from Italy to the USA by Luigi Chinetti, and it continued its competition career across the Atlantic.” “In 1958 a Testa Rossa engine with “numero Interno” (internal number) 48 TR was installed whilst in the ownership of John Middleton in the USA. According to factory records this engine came from Ferrari 625 LM, chassis # 0644 MDTR, which had been heavily crashed in the USA in late 1957. Being from this model the engine would have a capacity of 2.5 litres. The engine has been overstamped with the chassis number of this car “0536”. At the same time a four speed transaxle with number 58 MD was installed, the work being carried out by Hal Ulrich in Chicago. It is not known why this change took place, or of the current whereabouts of the original engine and transaxle. Equally the remains of the 625 LM, chassis # 0644 MDTR, have not appeared since that time. During the mid eighties an engine with # 0536 is reported as having been installed in Ferrari 750 Monza, chassis # 0554 M, although it is not with that car now.”
Luigi Taramazzo guns ‘0536’ away from a checkpoint on the 1955 Mille Miglia whilst leading his class and running 4th overall.
“In period the car competed in both its original form and also with the replacement engine/transaxle. The engine “48 TR” and four speed transaxle “58 MD” have been in the car for almost fifty years, and although not the original units are an integral part of the history of this particular car.” “At the beginning of the nineties the car was restored for the then owner, and at this time a replacement body was constructed by Rod Jolley in the UK, as the original one was showing signs of fatigue. However, the original body was used as a pattern for the new body to ensure accuracy of line and shape, and the builder retained the original along with the buck constructed to form the new body. The current owner acquired the original body and the buck soon after he purchased the car in 2000, and they remain with the car to this day.” “It is understood that the engine was overhauled by Diena & Silingardi in Modena in 2005, and in 2006 an original type 509 5 speed transaxle was overhauled by the Ferrari Classiche division of Ferrari SpA, which was installed by Ferrari Antwerp the same year. Keith Bluemel 05/2007.”
Since compilation of Keith Bluemel’s report the Mondial has been inspected by Ferrari Classiche in Maranello who have agreed to issue an Attestation of Historical Interest, given that the modifications to the car were made during its contemporary racing career. Should a new owner wish to fit a smaller, 2 litre Tipo 111 engine as originally installed in 1955, full certification could be requested. Chassis ‘0536’ successfully completed the 2010 Mille Miglia and is ready to be enjoyed; a voluptuous, raucous and rapid 1950s sports-racing Ferrari. Its 1955 Mille Miglia provenance makes it a favoured entrant for future editions whilst any driver will appreciate having the extra horsepower at his disposal from the 3 litre engine.
1955 Ferrari 750 Monza
Ex-John von Neumann/ Phil Hill/ ‘On the Beach’ 1955 Ferrari 750 Monza Coachwork by Carrozzeria Scaglietti Chassis no. 0492M
Perhaps following the concept that if “some is good, more is better”, in 1954 Ferrari, following the success of the Lampredi designed four-cylinder Formula 2 engines in sports car tune, created a 3 litre variant, the 750 Monza. Remarkable for many things, not the least of the 750 Monza’s appeal comes from its gigantic 58mm Weber sidedraft carburettors with venturis large enough to ingest modestly-sized avian creatures without a hiccup and the absolutely seductive appearance of its Scaglietti-built coachwork. While successfully raced in Europe, the 750 Monzas were specifically targeted at the SCCA’s D Modified class in the U.S. Built on Ferrari’s then standard twin tube chassis with independent front suspension and deDion rear suspension, both with transverse leaf springs, the 750 Monza’s five-speed transmission was integral with the differential. The compact four-cylinder engine allowed Ferrari to use a short 2,250mm wheelbase, creating a diminutive powerhouse with abundant torque that performed admirably on a variety of circuits and commended its handling and responsiveness to a variety of talents.
Excellent provenance in hands of Phil Hill and on silver screen Freshly rebuilt throughout with new spare engine Matching numbers Eligible for most exclusive events worldwide
Top left: Santa Barbara meeting, 3rd/4th September 1955 – a young Phil Hill fine tunes the carbs of ‘0492M’, his race car for the weekend.
Above: Santa Barbara weekend again – John von Neumann doesn’t look very pleased as he surveys the dented bodywork of his Monza- Eleanor von Neumann is next to him.
Above and opposite: For the 1956 season ‘0492M’ is now driven by international geologist and possible Indiana Jones prototype Harrison Evans – here it is back at Santa Barbara (above) in March 1956 and the Paramount Ranch Road Races (opposite) on 17th/18th November of that year.
Chassis ‘0492M’, the third of the Scaglietti Spiders on the 750 Monza chassis, was displayed by Ferrari’s Belgian agent Jacques Swaters at the Brussels Motor Show in January 1955 then delivered to American West Coast Ferrari and Porsche exponent Johnny von Neumann. Von Neumann himself debuted it at Bakersfield on May Day 1955 with a second place finish, followed by races at Santa Barbara and Santa Rosa, California, with victory at the latter. In June von Neumann turned his new 750 Monza over to young Phil Hill at Torrey Pines – where Hill brought it home second – and at Salinas where the pairing didn’t make the start on 10th July. Its last race in von Neumann’s ownership was at Glendale in November where von Neumann placed sixth. Sold to Harrison Evans thereafter it was aggressively raced in West Coast events through 1956, winning the Paramount Ranch main event in August among a string of mostly top-five placings.
‘0492M’s next appearance was one of the most unusual of any Ferrari, if perhaps also the most fraught. Acquired in 1958 by Stanley Kramer Productions, it was featured in Kramer’s 1959 apocalyptic movie ‘On the Beach’. After the USS Sawfish’s return from the nuclear-wasted Northern Hemisphere to Australia, ‘0492M’ was character Dr. Julian Osborne’s desperate ride in the last – at least in movie terms – Australian GP. Portrayed by Fred Astaire in his first non-musical, non-dancing role, Osborne’s frenetic, abandoned cinematic race is an indelible image of the hopeless but still ambitious spirit of the doomed survivors of nuclear disaster. Luigi Chinetti Motors acquired ‘0492M’ following filming, selling it in 1979 to UK dealer and gentleman driver Dan Margulies. Later the same year Margulies sold the car to Peter Kaus who displayed it for almost three decades as a prominent exhibit in his Rosso Bianco museum.
Opposite: Paramount Ranch Road Races, 18th/19th August 1956 – ‘0492M’ went on to win the main event.
Its present US owner acquired the car after dispersal of the Kaus collection in 2006 and commissioned a comprehensive two-year restoration, including having a brand new Monza-spec engine built up by recognized four-cylinder racing Ferrari specialists Hall & Hall in the UK in order to preserve the original engine during intended historic events. The owner’s interests have since changed direction to modern racing and the singularly historic and recognized ex-von Neumann, Phil Hill, ‘On the Beach’ 750 Monza is now offered complete with both its original engine currently fitted and the new, race-prepared Monzaspec engine as a spare.The latter has been dyno tested (a print-up is available) and produced a healthy 263bhp at 6,500rpm.
Restored and prepared to the highest standards of contemporary historic racing performance, appearance and safety, Ferrari 750 Monza ‘0492M’ is beautiful, fast, powerful and refined. A cinematic ‘star’, its history with Phil Hill while owned by John von Neumann gives it genuine charisma, a rare combination of star power on the screen and on the circuit. It’s also genuinely exciting to drive and a beautiful example of Sergio Scaglietti’s intrinsic sense of aerodynamics and aesthetics.
1957 Ferrari 500 TRC
Ex-Gottfried Kochert Mille Miglia/ Le Mans 24 Hours/ Nürburgring 1,000Km 1957 Ferrari 500 TRC Coachwork by Carrozzeria Scaglietti Chassis no. 0686MD/TR
In 1956 Ferrari updated the 2 litre customer sports-racing concept popularized by the 500 Mondial to introduce the 500 Testa Rossa. The engine was still 90x78mm but a new head raised the power even in sports car tune to 180 brake horsepower. To acknowledge the revised engine the cylinder head was painted red and featured in the model name. At the same time the chassis, Tipo 518, was revised with a live rear axle and the transmission was mounted in unit with the engine. Just a year later revised CSI sporting regulations required more revisions to meet the standards of its Appendix C, principally directed at the bodywork in an attempt to force the builders of sports-racing cars to make them more like road cars. Doors, a rudimentary top and a full width windscreen were the main requirements, giving Scaglietti the opportunity to further refine his expression of form following function with a new series of open sports-racing Ferraris. Named 500 TRC for their Testa Rossa power and adherence to the CSI’s Appendix C regulations, the 1957 2 litre Ferraris bodied by Scaglietti are believed by many to be the most beautiful open Ferrari sports-racers ever, regardless of the number of cylinders.
Arguably the most beautiful of all Ferrari sports-racers Restored to show/ race standards and impeccably maintained since Offered with two engines including a developed unit for events Exceptional period race record ensures almost guaranteed eligibility for historic events including the Mille Miglia
Brescia, Italy, 4.57am, 10th May 1957 – last minute adjustments for Gottfried Köchert before the starters flag waves him off on the last open road Mille Miglia.
A photographer captures Köchert’s wet weather charge to the finish, ‘0686 MD/TR’ just beaten to class victory by Munaron’s works-backed sister car.
The eleventh of nineteen built, ‘0686 MD/TR’ was completed on 9th May, sold a day later to Austrian gentleman driver Gottfried Köchert and at 4:58 the next morning took the starting flag for the 26th (and last open road) Mille Miglia where it finished 10th overall and 2nd in class, only 17 minutes behind Gino Munaron’s 2000cc Sports class winner in a similar 500 TRC. Just two weeks later, on 26th May, Köchert and Erwin Bauer drove the TRC to a class win and 13th overall in the ADAC 1000km at the Nürburgring. They then partnered in the 24 Hours of Le Mans on 22nd June but dropped out with fuel problems. In February 1958 the car was entered in the Cuban Grand Prix by Manolo Perez de la Mesa and a month later was a reserve entry in the Sebring 12 Hours to be driven by Perez de la Mesa and Modesto Bolanos. In December Perez de la Mesa took part in the Nassau Speed Weeks in ‘0686 MD/TR’.
The Ferrari was subsequently sold to a U.S. buyer and raced by Ross Durant and Bill Redeker in SCCA events in Florida. In 1961-63 it competed in the infamous Nassau Speed Weeks driven by Captain Anson Johnson, finishing 2nd in Class E in 1961. Captain Johnson apparently wasn’t satisfied with that performance and in 1962 and 1963 appeared in ‘0686 MD/TR’ with a Chevrolet V8 under the bonnet at Nassau and in SCCA events. He also started in two USRRC races, Daytona in February 1963 and Mid-Ohio in September 1963. It was a not uncommon fate for the Testa Rossas, now feeling the heat of competition from the likes of Maserati Birdcages and Coventry Climax powered mid-engined sports-racers from the U.K. It is no small tribute to their robust construction and predictable handling that ‘0686 MD/TR’ and its counterparts were able both to cope with more than double the horsepower and to withstand its pounding.
In 1980 chassis ‘0686 MD/TR’ was discovered and acquired by Ferrari historian Dick Merritt in Florida with its Chevy motor, flared wheel arches, enlarged air intake and bulged bonnet. The original engine had gone missing but the original gearbox, grille, brakes and other parts were still with it. David Cottingham of British firm DK Engineering tracked down the original engine in the mid-‘80s and with Merritt re-united chassis and engine. A second, 2.4 litre, TRC spec engine was built up by DK for racing. The body was reskinned (DK still hold the remains of the original body) and painted in Köchert’s distinctive and attractive red and white livery. Following completion the TRC was sold to Ferrari collector and historic racer Lord Cowdray, later passing to Mody Enav of Geneva and from him, via Simon Kidston at Bonhams, to the current American ownership in 2001 where it has been regularly exercised and professionally maintained in race- and show-ready condition. The fuel tank has been replaced by a 22 gallon fuel cell and the generator replaced by an alternator (both original components are included) whilst the battery was moved to the rear and a Tilton Carbon Fibre clutch
installed. Both engines, the original 2.0-litre and race-prepared 2.4-litre currently fitted are also part of the package. It is documented on a U.S. certificate of title. Chassis ‘0686 MD/TR’ has participated in Ferrari’s 50th Anniversary celebrations, the Monterey Historic races, the 2007 Mille Miglia and the 2008 Colorado Grand. It is ‘on the button’, ready for show or go and demonstrably one of the most historied of all Ferrari TRCs. With participation in the last open road Mille Miglia, the ADAC 1000km, the Le Mans 24 Hours, the Cuban GP, USRRC and Nassau Speed Weeks it meets the entry criteria for every important and enjoyable historic event worldwide today. The period race record, distinctive livery, responsiveness and speed of Ferrari 500 TRC ‘0686 MD/TR’ make it a delight for an enthusiastic driver while the thump of its big four-cylinder engine and the sublime appearance of Scaglietti’s coachwork give it instant appeal to spectators. That is a very hard combination to beat.
Köchert pushes ‘0686 MD/TR’ to an unassailable class lead in the ’57 Nürburgring 1,000Km.
1962 Aston Martin DB4GT Berlinetta
Full ‘Works Service’ restoration 1962 Aston Martin DB4GT Berlinetta Coachwork by Carrozzeria Zagato Chassis no. DB4GT/0189/R
One of only nineteen built, DB4GT/0189/R combines a race-bred pedigree with the comfort and luxury of a true granturismo. The short wheelbase DB4GT appeared in 1959 to meet clients’ desires for an even lighter, more responsive Aston Martin for competition and high performance road use. A two-seater built on a shortened platform chassis, it also boasted a 3.7 litre engine cast in lighter alloy, dual ignition, triple Weber carburettors, high lift camshafts, 9:1 compression ratio, dual plate clutch, close ratio transmission, Salisbury Powr-Lok differential and large diameter Girling disc brakes, specifications which left no doubt about the DB4GT’s serious performance intent. Only a few months later Aston Martin introduced the first of its ultimate granturismo series, the DB4GT with competition-inspired coachwork by Zagato. The limited run of Zagato-bodied lightweight DB4GTs arose out of an unplanned meeting at Earls Court between John Wyer and Gianni Zagato. It was designed by Ercole Spada, then only 23 years old, a perfect blend of Spada’s gifted balance of its surfaces and the seductively curved profile of the DBR1. With its subtly refined air intake and elongated headlight tunnels with aerodynamic covers, the Zagato’s nose explored the limits of efficient air penetration, even pressing the bonnet so low
The last of just 19 examples built The most desirable Aston Martin GT car of all time Unique original colour scheme and factory restored to ‘as new’ condition Offered for sale for first time in over a decade Original British road registration (EU tax paid)
over the engine that dual bulges – like Zagato’s trademark roof bubbles – were needed to accommodate the engine’s cam covers. Marrying the best of contemporary Italian design with a 9.7:1 compression ratio, 314bhp version of Marek’s 3.7 litre six and Aston Martin’s proven and now highly developed suspension, the DB4GT Zagato debuted at the 1960 London Motor Show. Built by the craftsmen at Zagato in Milan and hand finished in the workshops at Newport Pagnell, only nineteen were ever completed. Ironically the Zagato was not a sales success. The authors of the definitive Palawan chassis-by-chassis book on the model, Stephen Archer and Simon Harries, recall: “The DB4GT Zagato sales effort was a contradiction in terms…Almost enough enthusiasts and connoisseurs did buy Zagatos early on. Not many kept their cars for long, however, and it was not until they began to acquire true classic status that a sense of real desirability became attached to them.”
”In the end, the final two Zagato-bodied DB4s remained unsold for nine months until Mike Harting of HW Motors in Walton on Thames bought them at a knockdown price and set out to sell them himself. Tellingly, he recalls that his principal, exracing driver George Abecassis, was highly sceptical of this decision. Mike knew his clientele, however, and he quickly sold the cars at a thumping profit.” Chassis ‘0189’ was one of those two cars. The last DB4GT Zagato built, it has an enigmatic early history. It is one of eleven right-hand drive Zagatos and one of three to receive English paint. Its striking original colour scheme is unique: Caribbean Pearl with Connolly red hide and carpets. Although completed on 14th December 1962, it waited longer than any other Zagato before being sold and was finally bought in a package with ‘0176’ by Mike Harting at HWM for £3,950. In the spring of 1963 Mike found a buyer in Mr S Miller of Horsham, Sussex, for £6,000. Chassis ‘0189’ took part in minor British hillclimbs but led an otherwise cosseted life. In 1970 it left for the sunny climes of South Africa, joining DBR1/5 in the collection of Howard Cohen and taking part in vintage
events. In 1976 it returned to the UK with Ian Campbell-Mclaren of Glasgow, and in 1983 entered German ownership. After spells in Switzerland and the UK, the Zagato was acquired in 1995 by a Dutch collector who entrusted it to Aston Martin Works Service for what the Palawan book describes thus: “The restoration of 2 VEV was remarkably comprehensive but this was a tour de force. The car was totally stripped down to the bare chassis…The Zagato was returned to its original state with the original colour scheme of pale blue with red leather inside. It’s now better than new. The final touch was the reinstatement of the number 37 PH, due to the hard work of Andrew McCloskey at Aston Martin.” David Townsend, manager of Works Service, recalls: “We performed a total body off full restoration in 1995, bringing the car back to its original specification after being a race prepared car at a cost of £141,000.”
Acquired thereafter by the current European owner, for the past decade chassis ‘0189’ has been kept out of the public gaze in a very private collection. Outings have been limited to local trips to warm through fluids and exercise the engine, gearbox and suspension. The total mileage covered since the full factory rebuild is a mere 802 miles. With a clear and interesting history from new, a restoration by the Aston Martin factory and a unique livery, ‘0189’ is one of the most important British granturismos in existence. Now that most DB4GT Zagatos are held by long term collectors for whom they are a prize constituent of their collections, the availability of ‘0189’ is a rare opportunity to experience the pinnacle of British high performance road cars in the Sixties and to add an important, and all but irreplaceable, component to the most comprehensive collection. The fortunate new owner will have much to which to look forward.
1962 Ferrari 250GT SWB California
An Italian car from new 1962 Ferrari 250GT SWB California Spyder Coachwork by Carrozzeria Scaglietti Chassis no. 3345GT
All Ferraris are wonderful, exceptional automobiles. But even among Ferraris there is a hierarchy that places some ahead of the others. The 250GT California Spyder is one of them. Conceived in the same line as the 250GT Tour de France, Short Wheelbase Berlinetta and GTO, the 250GT California Spyder was intended from inception to be lightweight, quick and responsive, the image of the high performance market in the U.S.’s state of California. In fact it was John von Neumann, Ferrari’s distributor in California, who asked for a convertible counterpart to the Tour de France to fit Californians’ high performance lifestyle and the warm, dry, sunny climate that made convertible ownership a practical prospect. The first production California Spyder was delivered in January 1958 and the model continued in production into early 1963, undergoing many changes during a period of rapid evolution at Ferrari. Along with the Berlinetta in 1960 Ferrari shortened the wheelbase from 2.6 metres to 2.4 metres. At about the same time the 250GT engine received new cylinder heads with the spark plugs relocated to the outside of the vee and individual ports for each cylinder. The late LWB and all SWB California Spyders had disc brakes which provided stopping power to match the going.
One of just 55 examples built of which circa 11 with open headlights Superbly well documented history Unique specification with many one-off details, all still present Factory certified, Italian (EU) registered and ready to be enjoyed
Top left: Sestrière, 1962 – wish you were here?
A favourite with socialites and showbusiness personalities of the Dolce Vita era including Brigitte Bardot, Roger Vadim, James Coburn and Barbara Hershey, the California Spyder was also raced with some success, one finishing 5th overall at Le Mans in 1959. In all only 106 Ferrari 250GT California Spyders were built, 51 Long Wheelbase and 55 of the later and more desirable Short Wheelbase models. Dating from the final year of production and therefore incorporating the various improvements introduced during the model’s five year lifespan, chassis ‘3345GT’ is the fortieth of the 55 250GT SWB California Spyders built. It was ordered new on 7th June 1961 by 39-year old foreign exchange trader Dr Vincenzo Comi of Milan and the history file with the car details the exact and unique specification he required: open headlights (we know that around 11 cars had this feature, making it rarer than the nowadays fashionable covered option), shorter gear lever, spare wheel mounted differently to allow a suitcase or golf bag to fit in the boot, tools set into the floor of the boot, slightly larger side air intakes, different seat cushions, heater cut-off tap (for summer use),
underbonnet light, outside fuel filler (concealed under a flap), central cockpit console with different switches and a radio. Dr Comi chose Grigio Argento (silver grey) paintwork with blue leather trim and a hard top was also requested. The base price of the model was 5,750,000 Lire, which after a 250,000 Lire discount plus the various options and taxes took Ferrari’s total invoice, issued on 12th April 1962, to 5,865,065 Lire. Dr Comi obviously made good use of his new Ferrari. Photos in the file show him in the company of an attractive female passenger enjoying a stay in the mountain resort of Sestriere, hard top in place, that same winter. The original 1962 road tax disc is even with the car, which was registered ‘MI 641834’. Eventually Dr Comi parted with his California Spyder, first to a company in Aosta before another lady enters the story- it’s that kind of car, this time a new owner in Vimercate near Milan. Around 1970 the Ferrari was registered to an agent of industrialist and well-known Italian collector Carlo Bonomi of Turin, in whose ownership the headlights were altered to the covered type.
The current owner, another long-term Italian collector, industrialist and gentleman driver, purchased the car from Dr Bonomi in 1986 and has looked after it ever since. Work has included returning the headlights to their correct configuration and the outside colour to its original shade of silver, this work carried out by Dino Cognolato. The upholstery, retrimmed many years ago, is in black leather; the yellowing carpets may be original. Homologation by FIVA and ASI followed thereafter together with certification by Ferrari Classiche stating the car to be ‘matching numbers’. Chassis ‘3345GT’ was also borrowed by Ferrari for the launch of the 550 Barchetta (2001) and the recent California (2008), spending time on display in the Galleria Ferrari. It is probably the only California Spyder never to have left its home country.
Uniquely specified, comprehensively documented, well maintained and as good looking as any car ever built, this Ferrari 250GT SWB California Spyder is destined for a great collection. Its availability after two and a half decades in the same ownership is a rare opportunity for Ferrari collectors to acquire one of the most beautiful, responsive and enjoyable Ferraris ever built, one that will stand out in a sea of Rosso Ferraris. Perhaps best of all, if the new owner would like to meet the first, Dr Comi still lives and works in Milan, aged 89!
1966 Alfa Romeo TZ2 Replica
1966 Alfa Romeo TZ2 Replica Engine no. AD*106
The Oxford dictionary defines a ‘replica’ as ‘an exact copy of ’, and it’s hard to think of a better example than this. Assembled over a period of several years by a diligent TZ owner and authority, sourcing many original parts which are no longer available, we doubt that there is another TZ2 replica in existence built to this level of accuracy and period detail.The car is indistinguishable from a genuine TZ2 save for one small feature specifically added to prevent anyone passing it off in future generations as a factory-built example. It is available now for sale for the very first and only time. With perfect copies of other legendary racing cars such as the Ferrari 250GTO and Lancia D24/D50 now a familiar sight at events such as the Goodwood Revival, the opportunities to enjoy an automobile such as this are greater than ever before. We would wholeheartedly recommend this car to collectors for whom the word ‘replica’ would normally be taboo because of the honesty of its purpose, the level of knowledge involved in its creation and the fact that such a perfect copy is unlikely to be available again.
Built over a period of several years by a respected TZ owner and authority Incorporates many now unobtainable original parts Indistinguishable from a genuine TZ2 Eligible for a wide variety of historic events including the Goodwood Revival
1966 AC Cobra 427
1966 AC Cobra 427 Chassis no. CSX 3293
‘CSX 3293’ was originally billed to Shelby American on 18th August 1966, painted red with black upholstery and featuring a 428 motor, Sunburst wheels, standard flared rear arches, a competition oil cooler mouth and no bonnet scoop. Its first known owner was Bob Schiro of Santa Clara, but in ’68 it was acquired by well-known enthusiast Bruce Canepa who swapped the 428 for a 427, a common performance upgrade in the period. Later Californian owners followed and during 1988 a rebuild to S/C specs was carried out; this is now being reversed for the present private German owner by top Cobra restorers Legendary Motorcars in Toronto. Work includes a carburettor rebuild, removal of the bonnet scoop, side pipes and roll bar, fitting stock manifolds and an underfloor exhaust. Cosmetically the car will receive new seatbelts and carpets. Believed never accident damaged and with a remarkably clear, blemish free history, this ‘big block’ Cobra is Monaco (EU) road registered and shows a believed genuine 21,000 miles on the odometer. Of the 260 such cars built it would be hard to find a better example currently available.
Genuine ‘Big Block’ Cobra to standard street spec Clear, blemish-free history with no known accidents Believed genuine 21,000 miles recorded EU registered and fresh from expert check-up
1968 Lamborghini Miura P400
1968 Lamborghini Miura P400 Berlinetta Coachwork by Carrozzeria Bertone Chassis no. 3583
Lamborghini has come of age as an automotive marque of historic significance and the Miura is without question the most highly sought-after of all Lamborghinis. Every Miura has its fans; there are those who love the purity of the original P400, others who prefer the subtle tweaks of the S and many who worship the ultimate evolution, the SV. The revised production totals, as released in the factory’s 2003 anniversary brochure (compiled by respected historian Stefano Pasini) are: P400, 275 cars; P400 S, 338 cars; P400 SV, 150 cars. This Miura is an example of the definitive P400 model, as coveted by playboy princes, captains of industry and showbusiness stars when it hit the scene in the late 1960s. The factory build records we hold show two alternative colour schemes and destinations for chassis ‘3583’; the commonly available list gives the livery as Rosso Alfa Acrilico with mustard vinyl trim, and the supplying dealer as Righetti near Vicenza, in north eastern Italy, on 28th June 1968, whilst an internal register suggests the car was Giallo Fly with black trim and was destined for Milan dealer Achilli Motors. From our research for the Miura book we know that sales director Ubaldo Sgarzi was frequently taking over orders for cars placed by his staff in order to satisfy his own customers. Either way,‘3583’ was supplied to the home market.
Believed factory conversion to RHD in period Showing just 29,449km on odometer Survivor virtually unused for last 20 years UK registered and ‘on the button’
Little further is known of the car’s history until it was converted to right-hand drive, supposedly by the factory, before export to Australia in the early 1970s. It returned to Europe in the hands of young London property developer Anton Bilton during the 1980s classic car boom and was sold at auction by him on 14th February 1990, its consignment handled by Simon Kidston.The catalogue at the time read: “In 1974 the car was purchased by an Australian, who had it converted to RHD at the Lamborghini factory. The car remained in Australia until recently, whereupon it was returned to this country with all UK taxes and duties being paid. Recent work has included the overhauling of all chassis components some 5,000km ago, the powder coating of most metal components, the overhauling of the engine and gearbox under 5,000km ago and the attending to of any minor defects…”
The successful bidder was an old school British entrepreneur and long term classic car collector who had admired the Miura since its heyday. The reality soon dawned on him, however, that this was not really his sort of car, so it has spent the past 20 years in gentle slumber in his motor house, attended to by a faithful mechanic and barely venturing out other than for its annual MoT test. We are advised that everything works correctly, the only fault noted being a scratched drivers side window glass, and the car has a new MoT certificate. It is priced fairly and, given the current exchange rate, makes sense for either a British buyer or an enthusiast based overseas for whom conversion back to LHD would also be worthwhile. It is UK registered so may be imported to any other EU country without further taxes being due.
2006 Bugatti Veyron 16.4
One owner from new 2006 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Chassis no. 011
The Bugatti Veyron EB 16.4 was born in the public eye. In the space of just over 12 months from September 1998, four different Bugatti concepts would appear at international motorshows around the world. This level of effort and exposure, even for an ultra-exclusive supercar was, and still is, practically unheard of. But when the production Veyron 16.4 stepped into the limelight at the Paris Motor Show in 2000, sporting an 8.0-litre W16, its place in automotive history was assured. The most powerful, the fastest, the most expensive:The Veyron had arrived. And then everything went quiet. It would be nearly five years before the first cars were delivered to their expectant owners, as Bugatti, by now based at the firm’s historic home at Chateau Saint Jean in Molsheim, eastern France, overcame various development issues. Buyers may have had to wait, but when those outside the company finally got to drive it in 2005, most were stunned into silence. The press were the first to recover the power of speech. “I can tell you it is sensational. Incredible. Unbelievable. Not merely the fastest and most powerful car the world has ever known but also, possibly, the best car ever,” said Autocar in October that year.
The benchmark ‘hypercar’ of the 21st century A combination of performance and luxury unlikely to be bettered in our generation One owner example with modest mileage and up-to-date service programme Tax free status makes it attractive for all markets
You have to attune yourself to the Veyron; it’s smaller than you might expect, lower, has a real hunkered-down stance, a truly breath-taking cabin. It’s a car you find yourself taking time over because the whole experience is so rich and textured, and you soon realize that the speeds it’s capable of, stunning though they are, aren’t what define the Veyron. This is the zenith of the luxury super sports car. Only 300 Veyrons will be built until the end of 2011, and 255 of those have already been delivered. Prices range from €1.2m for the Veyron to €1.4m for the Grand Sport and €1.65m for the Super Sport, plus local taxes. After 2011 just the open Grand Sport model will be available. We’re delighted to offer our first Veyron for sale. Chassis number 11 was built for its sole and current owner, a private collector and valued client of our firm, in 2006; it has covered 9,500km since, scrupulously obeying the factory
maintenance schedule. In fact it has recently returned from a €25,000 service and Bugatti has confirmed that this car, only the second to be delivered to Germany, is fully up-to-date. Finished in a classic colour combination of Ice Blue with Pearl side scallops and an Azzurro blue leather cabin, this has to be one of the best Veyrons available in the world today. The car is German registered but offered tax free, making it very attractively priced for any market worldwide – especially when you consider the current basic price of the Veyron. Remember also that production will soon cease and consider how values of its predecessor the McLaren F1 have evolved. More than that, this is an opportunity to own the most iconic supercar of the 21st century, a piece of technical engineering without peer or precedence. Every motoring enthusiast should own a Veyron once in their lifetime. Sadly only a few can…
1970 Riva Super Aquarama
Ex-Count Agusta 1970 Riva Super Aquarama motor launch Hull no. 437
The Riva motor launch represents the epitome of the Dolce Vita lifestyle played out under the Mediterranean sunshine in glamorous resorts such as St Tropez and Portofino. Favoured by stars of showbusiness, heads of state and captains of industry, the list of Riva owners outshines a Who’s Who of the era. This Super Aquarama, the flagship of the Riva range, was built in 1970 for Count Domenico Agusta, head of the eponymous combine which produced Italy’s legendary MV Agusta motorbikes and the equally celebrated Agusta helicopter- both the class of their respective fields, much like the Count’s Riva. Restored in 1997/98 and acquired by its present British owner in 2007, this Super Aquarama has been entrusted to the Woottens boatyard in the UK (who carried out the 1990s restoration) for a full overhaul of hull and engines and general refreshing. Due for completion in late summer 2010, this ‘going through’ will cost approximately €75,000 (bills available). The finished result will be an appreciating yet very useable wooden hulled motor launch, a source of great admiration and enjoyment for the new owner and his family and friends. An absolute classic. The illustrations are of a similar boat.
Considered by many to be the most beautiful Riva Interesting history with famous first owner Restored to a high standard and recently refreshed An appreciating classic motor launch
To respect client confidentiality, not all the motor cars we are currently handling may be presented.
Thanks to Tom Wood, Luci e Immagini, Corsa Research, Archivio Ruoteclassiche, Marcel Massini, Ollie Marriage, Octane and Rick Carey.
Inside back cover: Santa Barbara, 28/29th May 1955 – two tone shoes and cats eye shades compliment ‘0492M’s snakeskin pattern interior in a typical West Coast racing scene of the era
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue reading from where you left off, or restart the preview.