You are on page 1of 2

Reanna Russell

A02235535
11/27/2017
Process Drama Facilitation Reflection

The strength of this session lies in its potential for transferability. The basics behind the

essential questions and enduring understandings are communicated well and in ways that engage

the participants. I am also proud of the fact that in our lesson design, we used technology to

enhance the drama, but we did not rely on it. I devised the idea and created the videos, and audio

recordings to separate the teacher from the facilitation, in order to help suspend the disbelief of

the students. It turned out so well! The assessments were effective, but the responses to the

academic prompt were basic because we ran out of time toward the end of the facilitation. They

were, however, right on track toward demonstrating that the students learned what was intended

of them.

If I were to update the session design, I would include notes to preface certain activities

that have the potential to include violent scenarios with a few more guidelines. I would build in

the opportunity to transfer their knowledge about diplomacy to local and national contexts at the

end of the second day of the drama. I would design an activity at the beginning of both days to

get the students on their feet and focused for the day. We would have had to change the

vocabulary used in some of the activities, especially the history excerpt which my partner wrote,

to be more age appropriate if we were to take the activity to a fourth-grade classroom. I am also

interested to know how the group activities we designed would have worked with a larger group

of students who were the intended age.


My partner and I had a lot of differences, and throughout the process, it was very difficult

for me to alter my vision of the goals and process of building the lesson plan in order to fit hers.

When brainstorming the lesson plan, my partner was comparatively unavailable, and it was only

after I had come up with a framework for the drama that she started expressing her ideas. It was

far more difficult to fit my design around her ideas than if we had been able to work together

from the beginning. Once the framework was built, I was able to delegate the tasks evenly

between us, and she completed her tasks, and I completed mine, separately. The difficulty was in

getting our task designs to come together and create a cohesive world, with synergized goals for

our students.

My partner and I struggled to work together, and I tried to take the opportunity to listen to

her ideas and try a new thought process. I tried to be considerate of her ideas, and included them

even when I disagreed with them. I realized I really do need more practice when it comes to

finding a middle ground with my cofacilitators. Ultimately, we completed a project, we

facilitated it together, and in spite of our differences, we were able to teach something, and I’m

proud of that.