This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Morris County’s Ten Most Endangered Historic Sites for 2010
FY 2011 MCHC History Re-grant Program
The eighteenth-century Adoniram Pruden House and Property in East Hanover is threatened by demolition and development. This historically significant site and its surrounding open space is also home to wildlife. Photo by Jim Woodruff.
he Morris County Endangered Historic Sites Committee has announced its 2010 list of the Ten Most Endangered Historic Sites in the county. The Ten Most Endangered list draws attention to Morris County’s unique historic resources and encourages public and private involvement in their maintenance, preservation, and interpretation. The Endangered Sites Committee consists of representatives from the Morris County Heritage Commission, the Morris County Historical Society, the Morris County Trust for Historic Preservation, and the Morris County Tourism Bureau. The list also includes an Endangered Category of the Year, naming a particular class of historic resources under pressure as a group. Spotlighted this year are historic preservation committees and commissions — small organizations often on the front line in local preservation battles. Historic preserva(see Ten Most Engangered on page 4)
he Morris County Heritage Commission is pleased to announce it has been awarded funding from the New Jersey Historical Commission (NJHC) to continue the Commission’s history-related regrant program in 2011. This popular program owes its success to the New Jersey Historical Commission’s ongoing support and to Morris County’s dedicated history community, which uses re-grant funds for a wide variety of worthwhile projects. The Heritage Commission was awarded $20,868 for Fiscal Year 2011 to re-grant to Morris County history organizations and other nonprofits amounts ranging from $1,000 to $5,000. No match is required. Re-grant funds may be used for General Operating Support (GOS) or for history-related projects such as exhibits, collections management, archival supplies, conservation, ADA compliance projects, and professional consulting. Nonprofit organizations based in Morris County that are responsible for historical records or other preservation issues are eligible for history project regrants. Morris County nonprofit history organizations not receiving GOS funding from the NJ Historical Commission may be eligible for GOS funding through the Morris County Heritage Commission. The re-grant application booklet and instructions are available in PDF format for downloading at www.morrisheritage. org. Completed re-grant applications are due in the Heritage Commission offices on November 5. v
s you will read here, the Morris County Endangered Historical Sites Committee has named historical commissions and committees the endangered “category” of the year. These local committees are made up of extraordinary, dedicated citizens who are often on the front lines of the struggle for the preservation of our historical heritage. Local preservationists fight an increasingly complicated battle as towns find it politically and economically difficult to turn back the tide of development and demolition by neglect. There are relatively few towns in New Jersey that have preservation ordinances with teeth, municipal law that forbids the destruction of historic structures and archeological sites. Every town has its horror story of the preRevolutionary house that withstood time for hundreds of years and then was bulldozed in a quick morning’s work, to be replaced by a McMansion. Historical committees have their work cut out for them – finding “white knights” to step in at the last minute with preservation dollars in tight economic times, and working with their town governments to get the variances or subdivisions needed to save a wonderful old landmark. Historical committees also help educate owners of historic homes about the tax advantages of a state or federal architectural easement that can save the owner money and assure his or her wonderful historic home is preserved forever. It’s hard, often disappointing work. That’s why the Morris County Heritage Commission salutes local historical committees everywhere and supports their unending struggle to save our cultural and historic heritage. Hang in there! Virginia Vogt, Commissioner
Madeline Post’s Brookside House Awaiting the Next Chapter by Virginia Vogt
(from Quips and Quotes on page 5) The Borough Hall will eventually be used only for offices. First group to meet in the newly renovated hall was the Planning Board. The school house dates back to the 70s but has been out of active use for some time. It was used for temporary classrooms in the 30s and has since had occasional use for meetings and as a polling place. Sponsored by CCM’s Secretarial Science Department and GreggMcGraw-Hill Publishing Co., the business education conference will be the vehicle through which the new Gregg Diamond Jubilee shorthand teaching system will be unveiled. According to Mrs. Rosemary Fruehling, CCM association [sic] professor of secretarial science, the 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. conference will feature three editors of McGraw Hill’s Gregg Division.… Topics to be discussed during the conference include “What’s New in Shorthand?,” “Office Simulation for the ‘70s,”... “Data Processing: Is There a Credibility Gap?” and “Block-Time Approach to Curriculum Planning.” All sessions will be held in the college’s student-community center lounge. v
March 2, 1971 Teachers Descend on College Randolph Twp. – Several hundred business education teachers in New Jersey high schools and colleges will participate in a “first of its kind” conference at County College of Morris Saturday.
adeline Post lived in her house for 101 years. But this four-bay East Jersey cottage had been there for 150 years before Madeline arrived on the scene. Japeth Chedister had already built the house that stands at 16 East Main Street when George Washington was still a young man starting his career as a surveyor in the British colony of Virginia. Mozart wasn’t yet born. No Europeans knew Australia or Hawaii existed. But the remarkable fact is that the Chedister-Post House has remained virtually unchanged, except for modern utilities and a small 6x10 addition in the 1940s. The original exterior clapboard is still there under the later shingles. The exposed chimney fireback, wide floorboards, original hand-forged hinges and latches, the hand-dug well with its pulley, the two-seater outhouse – all remain in place. The house has been unoccupied since Madeline Post’s death in 2006, and it needs serious – very serious – love and attention. However, restoration experts attest that this old house could be a preservation victory of the first order. It is likely one of the last remaining examples of early colonial architecture that has survived with such unspoiled authenticity. The Post House is for sale, along with the three acres of peaceful former farmland that it sits on. The current owner would like nothing more than to see it in the hands of a qualified buyer who could do the hard work of historical preservation and make this rare historical gem shine for at least the next hundred years. The Mendham Township Historical Preservation Committee has created a DVD that provides a room-by-room tour of the Post House, explaining its architecture and its history. If you would like a copy of the DVD, contact the Committee at (973) 539-6622. v
The Parsippany Presbyterian Church Is Getting a Facelift!
by Gennifer Otinsky
he Parsippany Presbyterian Church buildings and cemetery, listed on the New Jersey Register of Historic Places, constitute one of the oldest historic sites in Morris County. The current address of the church is on Paddleford Hill on Route 46 in Parsippany. The church property consists of seven buildings, some of which date back to the mid-eighteenth century. In 2007 the church received a grant from the Morris County Historic Preservation Trust Fund to partially fund a long-term preservation plan by a prominent historic preservation architect. The findings of this thorough report confirmed what was already known: due to their age and historic status, all of the buildings were in need of a comprehensive schedule of repairs, restoration, and maintenance. The 1828 church sanctuary is the centerpiece of the property and one of the most prominent historic structures in town. It has housed the early town council, community meetings, and school graduations well into the last century, as well as weekly worship that continues to this day. For this reason, the church members have chosen Phase I of their extensive restoration project to address some of the most pressing needs of this building. With partial funding provided by a $143,000 grant from the Morris County Historic Preservation Trust Fund and under the supervision of historic archi-
The Parsippany Presbyterian Church is undergoing an extensive restoration of its exterior brickwork. Photo courtesy Parsippany Presbyterian Church.
Work continues on the exterior of the church.
Photo courtesy Parsippany Presbyterian Church.
tect Annabelle Radcliffe-Trenner, restoration began late in May and will be finished in mid-September. The scope of the project on the sanctuary’s front facade includes carefully raking out and restoring the mortar joints with the exact lab-determined mortar mix that was used in 1828; turning or replacing badly spalled bricks; removing and restoring wood sashes from the windows; restoring the wood cornice along the gable; restoring the three front door frames and transom lights; and installing historically appropriate gutters that can better handle the rain, ice, and snow. When this project is finished, Phase II will see work begin in the sanctuary as well as on other historic buildings. The process will be long and expensive. The members of the church directing the project admit they have learned a lot along the way about the grant process, the intricacies of historic preservation, and the importance of surrounding themselves with knowledgeable experts and highly skilled artisans. The church hopes to become a training/learning center to be used as an example for other church and historic site groups that want to preserve their buildings with the integ-
rity that befits their age and historical significance. The parishioners are committed to preserving the history of the church and its surrounding area. If you would like to make a tax-deductible contribution, mail your check made out to Parsippany Presbyterian Church and mark “Preservation” on the memo line. Donations of this type will be used solely for the purpose of sustaining historic buildings and property; none will be used for church programs. Include your mailing address to receive periodic preservation updates. You can follow the progress of this preservation project on “Follow our Project” on Facebook or on the Parsippany Presbyterian Church conservation website at www.pcpa rsippany.org. For further information, contact the church office at (973) 3347958. v
The cornerstone at the Parsippany Presbyterian Church is inscribed with the year A.D. 1828. Photo courtesy Parsippany Presbyterian Church. 3
MCHC Is Going Green
(from Ten Most Endangered on page 1) tion commissions are constrained by non-existent or weak preservation ordinances, diminished clout with their local governments, and insufficient preservation qualifications among their membership. By highlighting the challenges of historic preservation, the Endangered Historic Sites Committee hopes to increase community awareness and support for the important work they do. The Adoniram Pruden House and Property in East Hanover is new to Morris County’s Ten Most Endangered list. This early-eighteenth-century house is steadily deteriorating due to legal conflicts that have caused delays in its disposition. The community stands to lose this outstanding, significant historic site and its surrounding open space, which hosts important wildlife habitats. Mt. Hope Mining Historic District, Rockaway Township. This eighteenth- and nineteenth-century historic district has been on the list since 2001. Located on Mt. Hope Road and Mt. Hope Avenue, the district was a major site in the northwest New Jersey mining industry and includes extensive former mining acreage with museum-quality industrial relics. Artifacts continue to be stripped from the buildings, stored improperly, or sold for scrap. Downtown Area and Musconetcong Iron Sites dating from the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries have been on the list since 2001. Netcong’s downtown area includes the 1903 DL&W railroad station owned by NJ Transit. The current municipal revitalization effort would benefit from consultation with historic preservation specialists as required under Section 106 review. Boonton Iron Works and Morris Canal Sites, an area known as “The Hollow,” date from the 1830s to the 1860s. The sites include iron manufacturing ruins, a mill pond, an 1830s supervisor’s house, an 1863 brick building, and a Morris Canal inclined plane. Located on Plane Street in Boonton, the area suffers from commercial development, a lack of recognition and understanding of its historic significance, and the absence of local protection. Archaeological investigation and park preservation would foster interpretation of the ironworks and canal, both of which were integral to New Jersey’s industrial development. Glen Alpin is located at 685 Mount Kemble Avenue in Harding Township. Despite over a million dollars in restoration funds raised by the Glen Alpin Conservancy through county, state, and federal grants and private donations, this municipality-owned Gothic Revival estate may soon be mothballed. Tax concerns, project management issues, and lack of understanding of the building’s significance and potential use are conspiring to sever political support for Glen Alpin’s preservation. The Greystone Administration Building located on Central Avenue in Parsippany has suffered from lack of funding and maintenance and an absence of local protection, leading to demolition by neglect. Declared surplus by the State, the 1876 administration building is eligible for listing on the State and National Registers of Historic Places. Successful adaptive reuse projects on a similarly large scale have been undertaken in other hospital, prison, and mill complexes across the country, and it is hoped that a new grassroots group, Preservation Greystone, will raise community awareness and demonstrate the potential of this important public asset. The entire hos(see Ten Most Endangered on page 8)
s part of Morris County’s sustainability and conservation effort, fewer printed copies of the Heritage Review newsletter will be distributed. But you don’t have to miss an issue! View our newsletter archives on www.scribd.com. The current issue and all back issues of the Heritage Review and the County Circular, dating back to our first issue published in 1977, can be viewed and downloaded online at www.morrisheritage.org. As part of this process we are updating our mailing list. Please complete the Contact the Morris County Heritage Commission form in this issue to let us know if you wish to receive the Heritage Review via mail or if you prefer an email alert to notify you when the next edition of the Heritage Review is available online. Copies of the newsletter will continue to be available at the Morris County Library and other public municipal libraries. Morris County is plugged into several social networking and electronic media sites where you can keep abreast of activities and news. Links to Twitter and Facebook can be found on the county web page www.co.morris. nj.us. Tweets will be sent when new issues of the Heritage Review have been posted online. For more information or to start receiving Tweets, please visit: http://twitter.com/morriscountynj. v
Contact the Morris County Heritage Commission
PO Box 900, Morristown, NJ 07963-0900 Phone: (973) 829-8117 Fax: (973) 631-5137 Email: Heritage@co.morris.nj.us
CONTINUE to mail paper copies of the Heritage Review to my home address. ADD my name to the Morris County Heritage Commission mailing list. UPDATE my mailing address.* UPDATE my email address.* ADD my email address to the Heritage Review mailing list so I know when the new issue is available online.* ADD my email address to the MCHC email news and events daily alert list.* Name__________________________________________________________________ Address________________________________________________________________ Town___________________________________State_______Zip_________________ Email address_____________________________@___________________ . ________
*Please note that your name may be shared with other local and regional history organizations.
Quips and Quotes from Morris County’s Past
By Peg Shultz
all is upon us and that means it’s time for students to return to school or to begin their scholastic careers. Looking back at old newspaper articles, we see that Morris County families of the past shared some of our educational concerns. The short articles that follow are samples that reflect the educational and economic concerns of long-ago students and their families.
ing and day school and to acquire the Randolph Military Academy at Morristown.…
Morris County Chronicle
September 27, 1877 Miss Woodward’s Seminary, South Street, near the Green, will re-open on Wednesday, September 19th, with its full corps of excellent and experienced teachers. The Principal relies solely upon her well known success in years past for a continuation of the patronage hitherto so liberally bestowed and will spare no efforts to sustain, in all respects, the reputation of her Seminary as a first class school for Young Ladies and Children. The Kindergarten will still be under the same care which has conducted it with marked success in the last two years.
Morris County Chronicle
December 17, 1912 Randolph Military Academy Is Incorporated
The Randolph Military School occupied the building formerly known as Miss Dana’s School for Girls.
Photo courtesy the Morris County Historical Society.
December 24, 1912 Propose Additions to School Buildings - School Board Fearful that Appointment of Successors May Be Invalidated, Suggest Remedy The board of education has issued a call for a school meeting to be held January 2nd. This will be the last meeting arranged by this board before its exit from office, the incoming mayor, John J. Todd, having the appointment of a new board the first month he is in office. But the old board, advised that there is serious doubt over the legality of the law taking away from the people the election of the school board and making it appointive by the mayor, has decided to hold an election for increasing the school facilities before it vacates office.… The school board presents several propositions. One is for the voting on the erection of a four-room addition to the Liberty Street school building and an addition of the same size to the Mills Street building, the whole thing costing not more than $50,000. The board was authorized to purchase a portable school building but had to abandon the idea as the state requirements were too rigid to make use of such a building. The high school rooms in the Maple Avenue building are crowded, the board taking in pupils from all over this section. To remedy this crowded condition the additions are proposed which will give the two other buildings eight grades instead of four and take many pupils from the big Maple Avenue building, thus providing more room for the high school.
The Rockaway Board of Education has decided to accept for its proposed new schoolhouse the last plan submitted to the board by Architect Carl Jaeger of Newark, subject to the proposition of a bond issue to raise the necessary funds being ratified by a majority of the voters in the borough at a district meeting set for… December 12. The cost of the new schoolhouse is estimated at $25,000, but the board decided, in order to avoid calling for another appropriation, to ask for voting on a bond issue not to exceed $30,000.…
April 6, 1932 Only Teacher Salary Bills Are To Be Paid – Teachers to be Held Up Though to End of Month — In E. Hanover Twp. — For Month of April Due to Low Funds At the regular monthly meeting of the Board of Education of East Hanover Township with President Ralph Schrader presiding, the Clerk, H. Remington Hopping, read a communication from Township Treasurer Shipman informing the Board not to make any motions to pay bills for the month of April on account of low funds, but the Board decided, if possible, to pay the teachers at the last of April and not in the middle of the month as is the custom.… It was noted to send a bill to Florham Park Board of Education for $500 for 10 months’ rent for Hanover School.
Articles of Incorporation of the Randolph Military Academy have been filed with the Hudson County Clerk in Jersey City. The corporation is formed to maintain a board-
November 24, 1913 Rockaway Accepts Plans for New School - Newarker’s Plan Favored by Board of Education – Will Cost $25,000
December 18, 1956 Little Red School House Florham Meeting Hall Florham Park – The Little Red School House here went into use last night as the borough’s official meeting hall. The building, which recently underwent alterations for the purpose, will now be used for all borough meetings. (see Quips and Quotes on page 2)
Acorn Hall Will Be Open To Visitors During The Holiday Season
SAVE THE DATE – Period of Significance Workshop September 30, 2010
Acorn Hall in Morristown. Photo courtesy of Dan Beards.
isitors to Acorn Hall in Morristown can enjoy a Victorian-style Christmas throughout December and into to January 2011. Acorn Hall, a mid19th-century Italianate mansion, will offer lavish holiday decorations in all seven period rooms and two hallways. The Hall’s famous upside-down Christmas tree, an homage to Queen Victoria’s 1860 holiday, will once again hang in the library. In addition, the Oakleaf Gallery gift shop will offer a delightful variety of ornaments, history-related gifts, books, teas, and Victorianthemed gifts for young and old. Also on view is the exhibit “Gowns: From Birth to Bedroom to Ballroom.” Acorn Hall’s Victorian Christmas celebration begins on Friday, December 3, and will end on Sunday, January 16, 2011. The Hall will be open from noon till 4:00 on Sundays (closed December 26), from 10 till 4 on Mondays and Thursdays, and from 1 till 7 on Friday, December 3, 10, and 17. Special events throughout the season will include shopping nights, carolers, costumed docents in Victorian and Edwardian attire, children’s activities, musicales, and other seasonal offerings. Call 973-267-3465 or see www. acornhall.org for details. v
Acorn Hall will be decorated in Victorian holiday splendor during the 2010 holiday season.
Photo courtesy of Dan Beards.
he Morris County Heritage Commission and the Morris County Department of Planning and Development will present a program focusing on determining the period of significance for historic sites. The program will be held Thursday evening, September 30, at the Morris County Cultural Center, 300 Mendham Road (County Route 510), Morris Township, NJ. This workshop is designed to address issues of “period of significance” as applied to historic structures and landscapes. This is a critical consideration for historic sites as part of the preservation or restoration process. Program presenters are Janet Foster, preservation consultant, and Ann Granbery, A.S.L.A., landscape architect. Janet Foster is a preservation consultant and architectural historian from Madison, NJ. She has been academic advisor for the Drew University preservation program and has taught a variety of preservation courses. Her publications include architectural history books and articles on Mendham’s architecture, pattern book architecture, and Dutch-American stone farmhouses. She is currently Associate Director for Urban Planning and Historic Preservation at Columbia University’s Graduate School of Architecture, Planning, and Preservation. Ann Granbery is a landscape architect based in New Vernon, NJ, and she has worked extensively throughout the Northeast. Some of her projects include the Macculloch Hall Historical Museum Wildflower Garden, Morristown, NJ, and Caroline Foster’s Cottage Garden at Fosterfields, Morris Township, NJ. She is a past member of the Morris County Park Commission Advisory Board and has served on the Harding Heritage Committee, drafting the first Historic Preservation Survey, Historic Preservation Element and Ordinance for the Township of Harding. She also worked on Florham, the Twombly estate in Madison, NJ, that features Frederick Law Olmsted landscaping and McKim, Meade & White architecture. There is no charge to attend the program; however, advance registration is appreciated. To register for the program, please contact Peg Shultz at the Heritage Commission by email at Heritage@co.morris.nj.us or by telephone at (973) 829-8117. v
C A L E N D A R
Date September 25 Organization
Morris County Historical Society Morris County Historical Society Boonton Historical Society Whippany Railway Museum Morristown Partnership Jefferson Township Historical Society Montville Twp Historical Society Macculloch Hall Historical Museum and Gardens Stickley Museum at Craftsman Farms Morris County Historical Society Montville Twp Historical Society Morris County Historical Society Lake Hopatcong Historical Museum Morris County Historical Society Whippany Railway Museum Macculloch Hall Historical Museum and Gardens Boonton Historical Society
E V E N T S
For More Information Contact
(973) 267-3465 acornhall.org (973) 267-3465 acornhall.org (973) 402-8840 firstname.lastname@example.org (973) 887-8177 whippanyrailwaymuseum.net (973) 455-1133 www.morristown-nj.org (973) 697-0258 www.jthistoricalsociety.org email@example.com (973) 334-3665 or (973) 394-0554 (973) 538-2404 maccullochhall.org (973) 540-0311 stickleymuseum.org (973) 267-3465 acornhall.org (973) 334-3665 or (973) 394-0554 (973) 267-3465 acornhall.org (973) 398-2616 hopatcong.org/museum (973) 267-3465 acornhall.org (973) 887-8177 whippanyrailwaymuseum.net (973) 538-2404 maccullochhall.org (973) 402-8840 firstname.lastname@example.org
Time and Place
Acorn Hall, 68 Morris Avenue 2:30 p.m. Frelinghuysen Arboretum 12:30 - 2:30 p.m. Dr. John Taylor House 210 Main Street 4 p.m. 1 Railroad Plaza Rt. 10W & Whippany Rd. 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. Morristown Green Noon – 5:00 p.m. 315 Dover Milton Road Contact the society for more information Montville Twp Sr. Center 356 Main Road (Rt. 202) 7:30 p.m. Macculloch Hall & St. Peter’s Church, Morristown Contact the museum for details Mountain Lakes Club 6 p.m. Clifton Community Center 1232 Main Avenue, Clifton 7 - 10 p.m. Montville Twp Sr. Center 356 Main Road (Rt. 202) 7:30 p.m. Morristown Masonic Temple 10 a.m. - noon The Arlington 6 p.m. Acorn Hall 68 Morris Avenue Contact the museum for details 1 Railroad Plaza Rt. 10W & Whippany Rd. 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. Macculloch Hall noon – 5 p.m. Dr. John Taylor House 210 Main Street 7 p.m.
Tour of Greenwood Cemetery
Pumpkin Festival Train Rides
Morristown Fall Festival Program: Ghosts of Jefferson’s Past Program: Montville Reformed Dutch Cemetery Presented by Rich Veit, archaeologist & author 1810 Tartan Day – A Bicentennial Celebration Fall Gala
Armistice Ball Program: Why Lincoln Fought the Civil War Presented by Richard Schwartz, author & historian Wreath Workshop Program: Lake Hopatcong’s Famous Three: Lotta Crabtree, Hudson Maxim, and Joe Cook Victorian Christmas at Acorn Hall Santa Claus Special Train Rides
December 3 – January 16 December 5, 11, 12, 18 & 19 December 4, 5
Classic Christmas Museum Holiday Open House
(from Ten Most Endangered on page 4) pital campus was originally listed on the County’s Ten Most Endangered list from 2002 through 2007. The Kirkbride Building was relisted in 2001 as an individual building. Greystone was listed on Preservation New Jersey’s statewide list of endangered historic sites in 2003. Hurstmont is located at 679 Mt. Kemble Avenue in Harding Township. The property suffers from a lack of maintenance and public recognition. First listed in 2003, Hurstmont is one of the few surviving mansions from Morris County’s Gilded Age. Designed by architect Stanford White, Hurstmont was also listed on Preservation New Jersey’s list of endangered historic sites in 2010. Morristown’s Central Business District is rich with architecture from the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries and was first listed in 2004. Historic buildings that line Washington, South, Elm, Morris, and Spring streets and Cattano and Speedwell avenues are all pressured by burgeonPublication of the Morris County Board of Chosen Freeholders
Gene F. Feyl, Director William J. Chegwidden, Deputy Director Douglas R. Cabana John J. Murphy James W. Murray Margaret Nordstrom Jack Schrier
ing redevelopment, which threatens to unravel forever the tapestry of Morristown’s architecturally diverse commercial streetscapes and damage the town’s historic character. Continued large-scale development, inappropriate zoning, and a lack of local protection imperil what is left. Slater’s Mill, located on the Paterson-Hamburg Turnpike in Riverdale, was first placed on the Ten Most Endangered list in 2007. The nineteenthcentury mill is a defining landmark of Riverdale. The mill is ideally located for commercial use, but neglect and awkward modernizations threaten its historic character and survival. Boonton Twp., East Hanover, Jefferson, Kinnelon, Montville Twp., and Parsippany are located on the Susquehanna-Roseland Electric Corridor and were first placed on the list in 2009. Historic and archaeological resources in these municipalities are still threatened along the entire length of the Corridor, which passes through the northern portion of Mor-
ris County and also impacts Sussex and Essex counties. Historic and cultural resources threatened by this project include sites listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places. The Bassett Highway Redevelopment Area in Dover; the Boathouses of Lake Hopatcong in Jefferson, Mt. Arlington, and Roxbury; and the Oak Dell mansion in Morristown have been moved to the Watch List. The Morris County Heritage Commission administers the Ten Most Endangered Historic Sites list on behalf of the Endangered Sites Committee. This year, the Morris County Tourism Bureau assisted in this work and accepted nominations for the list. For more complete descriptions and images of listed sites, or to obtain a nomination form for sites to be considered for listing in 2011, please visit www.morrisheritage.org. Inquiries concerning the 2010 list and nominations for the 2011 list should be directed to the Morris County Tourism Bureau, 6 Court Street, Morristown, NJ 07960. v
Morris County Heritage Commission PO Box 900 Morristown, NJ 07963-0900 Phone: (973) 829-8117 Fax: (973) 631-5137 www.morrisheritage.org
Morris County Heritage Commission
Larry Fast, Chairman Henry Kafel, Vice Chairman Karen Ann Kurlander, Secretary Tracy Kinsel, Treasurer Dave Bogert Epsey Farrell Kathy Fisher Virginia Vogt James Woodruff Peg Shultz, Archivist Kiersten Fuchs, Intern
Electronic Versions can be viewed and downloaded from www.scribd.com/document_collections/2460238
For a Large Print Edition Call (973) 829-8117
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue reading from where you left off, or restart the preview.