You are on page 1of 8

cÉ|Çà V{xätÄ|xÜ

Newsletter for the Point Chevalier Historical Society


Times
sites.google.com/site/pointchevalierhistory/
No. 59 June 2018

Looking east along Great North Road from Hall Corner towards Pasadena and Western Springs, c.1930s. On the right is the
ASB, completed 1931, and next to it to the east the two-storey shop on the site of not only Pt Chevalier’s second store, but that
of the first post office. PH-NEG-B9224, PH-CNEG-C29057, Auckland War Memorial Museum Collection, by kind
permission.

Postal Days at the Point: the rise, and demise, of a suburban post office
Lisa J Truttman
I recently had the opportunity to photograph some old files related to Pt Chevalier in the Wellington office of
Archives NZ and, as can always happen, while I was looking at a file for one subject (the arguments in the 19th
century over having the school at Hall Corner), it diverted me onto something a bit different. Such was the case
with this article, started off by a 1909 hand-drawn plan I found of the junction of Great North Road and Point
Chevalier Road, made by Thomas Dignan to try to prove a point with the powers that be.

We have to begin with general stores as the background, because in terms of the story of post offices in outlying
districts away from cities, the stores tended to be where post and telephone services were initially housed and
based, until the trade became enough to justify more. The earliest known general store in the Pt Chevalier district

Calendar
All meetings 10.30 at 990 Great North Road, Western Springs (Horticultural Centre)
21 June 2018 — Lisa Truttman on the history of Dixieland
16 August 2018 — Russell Stone
Other 2018 meeting dates will be October 18 and November 15
was also the briefest (too brief to have any effect in Fowlds advised the residents to put their application
terms of government services). Richard Cameron, who for the latter in writing, so he could take it up with the
lived in the old house fronting Pt Chevalier Road today Postmaster-General. Probably because it is likely the
at the southern end, on the St Francis School property Asylum already had its own phone line, so setting one
(his second house, after the first burned down in the up for public use at the store wasn’t that much more of
1860s) had a store either beside the house or as part of a task, the residents were successful with their applica-
the house from 1867-1868. Possibly taking advantage of tion (but had to pay a guarantee bond to the depart-
the opportunity for trade presented by the Asylum just ment). On 22 March 1909 Thomas Dignan made the
across the road, but it probably faded out as the pre- first call from the store to Auckland. (Soon after this,
sumed tide of customers didn’t eventuate. Dignan drew his plan, showing the store’s location,
which survived in the file I found in Wellington). By
For the next general store here, it’s necessary to head July 1911, the department advised the Road Board that
forward through time another 40 years. In that time, de- the telephone bureau was so successful and profitable,
velopment at the Point was slow. Much of the peninsula they could have the bond back. The revenue surplus
was divided between the two great landholdings of from the bureau, given to the Road Board, went to-
Patrick Dignan and his family to the north, and wards the fund for the Public Hall, which was at that
Sutherland to the south, with only other homesteads ap- time designed and about to be built.
pearing, few in number, on the western side. But in
1903, three sections came up for sale between Bowen subdivided part of the property along the Great
Carrington Road and Parr Road on the south side of North Road frontage in 1911 and sold that part to
Great North Road. These were snapped up by Thomas Henry Taylor. But the store, and the rear of the section
Dignan, at that point master of “The Pines” at Point (much of that rear site now part of the motorway, and
Chevalier, and about six years away from the start of his right-of-way access to the carpark at the rear of the
political and business promotions for the development of shops), was transferred to Herbert Gadd (1870-1956)
the district. in June 1913.
Dignan sold Section 14 (nearest to Parr Road) in 1903 to Gadd was a grocer living in Kingsland in 1911. By
Ellinor Maria Downey; he hung on to Section 16, which 1912, it is likely he had moved into the Pt Chevalier
was Carrington Road to the ASB building, through to store, while by August that year the Road Board began
1918, when it was passed to Hallyburton Johnstone. But campaigning for a full post and money order office to
back in September 1903, same time as Mrs Downey got be instituted in the district. (They also asked for a two-
her property, Section 15 in the middle went to a pence-in-the-slot public phone, but the department said
coachbuilder named Arthur Ollis Bowen (1876-1964). It no, as slot telephones weren’t installed beyond four
was just over an acre. It is Bowen that became the dis- miles from the exchange. The store was 15 chains be-
trict’s first storekeeper since Cameron. yond that limit, or just under quarter of a mile). On 21
October 1912 the postal agency opened at Gadd’s
Bowen, with his wife Alice Louisa lived in Lincoln store, Elsie Nellie Gadd gazetted as the postmistress.
Street in Ponsonby as at 1900. By 1905, he was still a
coachbuilder, but now living on Great North Road, pre- From 1914, according to the NZ Herald, Pt Chevalier
sumably on the section he’d purchased from Dignan. residents had the innovation of “several postal boxes in
Sometime between 1905 and 1907, however, the convenient parts of the district”, and the benefit of
Bowens set up a general store, on the site which today is “two deliveries a day, while each day the boxes are
right beside the former bank building (see front page cleared three times”. But in early 1915, calamity! The
image). Alice Bowen may have run the store, while post office closed (probably just after Gadd sold his
Arthur continued his coachbuilding trade in one of the store in December 1914) – and the department felt
sheds on the property. Later, from 1909, Bowen moved that the post office wasn’t paying its way. The local
to New Lynn as a carpenter (but retained the store until MP CJ Parr, however, approached the Chief Postmas-
towards the end of 1911), before he shifted out of ter with members of the Road Board, reminding the
Auckland entirely, first to Tauranga then to Te Awamutu department that there were, at that time, 700 residents
where he was a farmer until his death in 1964. within a mile of the post office, with the promise of
many more to come (1915 was the year of the
“Bowen’s Store” at Pt Chevalier is first referred to as Liverpool Estate subdivision for one thing, and
such in the newspapers in April 1907, the place where Thomas Dignan and partners were promoting Point
the returning officer Mr H T McElroy received nomina- Chevalier to the hilt to interested land buyers, even
tions for the incoming Pt Chevalier Road Board that instituting the first motor bus service around this time).
year. It was also where the good folk of the district could The Chief Postmaster relented, and the post office
go to check that their rates assessment for the year was reopened.
correct, in September 1907. But in 1908, its story blends
in with that of the area’s post offices. On 4 June that In August 1915, advertisements stated that applications
year, with Thomas Dignan now chairman of the Road for the position of Road Board clerk were to be picked
Board, a deputation he led waited upon George Fowlds up from the post office, but left at “Mr Martin’s store”;
MP to ask about a drainage scheme for the area – and a the Liverpool Estate map from September 1915 shows
telephone bureau. the “post and telegraph office” on the site of Gadd’s
Detail from the 1915 “Liverpool Estate” subdivision advertisement by Thomas Dignan and partners. NZ Map 1298, Sir George
Grey Special Collections, Auckland Libraries

store, then owned by landlord Robert John Entrican. The post office had been located at the public hall for
Alfred Shirtcliffe around this time also had a store near some time when in September 1921 the A uckland Star
the corner of Carrington Road, around 1230 Great recorded that Pt Chevalier was “temporarily without the
North Road, on a four year lease from 1914. This store services of a local post office, owing to the resignation
was later taken over by the Wilson family in the 1920s. of the postmaster (W McMillan), and the fact that no
suitable person is immediately forthcoming to carry on
From 1915 to 1921, when land agent W McMillan the postal duties of the district at the scale of remunera-
appeared to be running the post office from space at the tion fixed by the Department.” This was £42 per annum,
public hall, both the location of the post office and its out of which the postmaster paid 7/6 per week office
postmasters is rather obscure. The official files only expenses. The office hours were 9 am to 4 pm.
start listing the postmasters from 17 July 1923.
The closure of the post office, and other matters at the
By March 1916, the new Road Board clerk was William time, spurred the residents into forming a committee to
Martin (the same Mr Martin who had the store the year lobby for improvements, the beginnings of the revived
before? Seems coincidental …) and he advised by pub- Progressive League (there had been a previous group
lic notice that copies of a Special Order from the Road called the Pt Chevalier Progressive League during
Board were available for viewing at “Stoddart’s store, WWW, but that faded after 1917). Both McMillan and
Pt Chevalier” and “Morris’ Store, Western Paulsen apparently made offers to the Chief postmaster.
Springs.” (Martin seems to have relinquished the store, The result of the representations was that McMillan
and the post office agency, to Stoddart) The Stoddarts, agreed to take up the position again later that month,
however, Charles Ernest and Mary Adele, went bank- with reduced hours: Monday to Friday 11am to 2pm, and
rupt in September 1917. Their store was taken over by Saturday 10am to noon. McMillan, according to Auck-
Jens Peter Paulson who ran the store as a butchers shop land City Council valuation records, also served as the
as well as general grocery through to the early 1940s, hall’s caretaker. It was in his rooms at the hall where the
and probably enlarged it just after World War I. League held their meetings from 1921-1924.

There was definitely a post office at Point in February The League committee asked that the post office become
1919, where a copy of the electoral roll for Eden was a full-time one in August 1922, with suitable remunera-
deposited for public view. By now, though, it may well tion, but this was not actioned. They also complained in
have shifted to the corner of Carrington Road, the February 1923 that telegrams took up to 9 hours to reach
refreshment rooms. At the time, that store was run by recipients in the area, despite being relatively close to
L C M Wilson. the city.
The various stages of the building many still re-
member as the post office at Pt Chevalier from
1940.

(Left) The transplanted and altered former


Remuera library building, now Pt Chevalier’s
library, c.1926. 7-A11816, Sir George Grey Spe-
cial Collections.
(Below) The building as post office, c. 1970.
Bertie Reginal Elliott photo (cropped), via
Lois Elliott.

By March 1923, Point Chevalier was without a post


office once again. In mid June M J Coyle as president
of the Pt Chevalier Progressive League detailed the
efforts to have the post office restored to the League’s
meeting that month, and the Post Office reopened 17
July 1923 at “Mr Wilson’s store, corner of Great
North Road and Pt Chevalier Road.”

Now we have the first postmaster documented in the


official files: Henry Herbert Wilson, from 17/7/1923
to 16/2/1925. His fruiterer’s store was next to William 1920s, Nicholson had a coal yard near Parr Road — and
Hugh McKinney’s chemist shop, and possibly was at may have had the brief postal agency there. Although
the site of the post office lease from 1936. His creden- the official list doesn’t record it, the post office closed
tials were checked by the Progressive League, and as on 31 December 1927, according to the NZ Herald.
he had served some time with the Public Trust Office,
he was felt to be a suitable postmaster. However, it In January 1928, the local residents, headed by Coyle,
seems that Henry Wilson abandoned his wife Mary staged a deputation to the local MP HGR Mason, stat-
Minnie in Taranaki in 1922. She followed him to Point ing that the current situation regarding the post office
Chevalier however in mid 1924, and divorced him in was unsatisfactory, being “carried on by local residents,
1927. who worked it in conjunction with their other busi-
nesses, and from time to time it has changed hands.”
Then came a period of uncertainty. William John The deputation called for the district to have a perma-
McMillan, a land agent, ser ved officially fr om nent office. At a meeting in the district later that month,
17/2/1925 to 24/11/1925. He may have moved the post Mason said the main part of postal business seemed to
office back to his offices. come from the Mt Albert end of the district, but the res-
idents remained adamant. Plus, they still wanted a slot
A letter from the Chief Postmaster dated 8 January telephone at Hall Corner.
1926 stated, “The office, which was removed to its
present position on 25 November last, is now in a Well, the official list proceeds with March 1928, so
central position; and for the present requirements are Miss Constance Davey apparently stepped up to the
satisfactorily met.” Exactly where that position was is position.
not stated. William Paget, a grocer, however, had a
£1400 building permit in 1925 for 1230 Great North The next postmasters were:
Road, around where the refreshment rooms were, so Miss Constance Davey 19/3/1928 to 3/2/1929
the agency may have moved there. (Constance Kathleen Mabel Davey, a spinster, lived at
149 Pt Chevalier Road. She later moved to Bellvue
Mrs Edith Annie Bromley 25/11/1925 to 13/12/1927 Road in Mt Eden.)
(Charles and Edith Bromley lived on Third Ave, now
Tasman Ave, Charles working as a bootmaker.) Thomas Watt 4/2/1929 to 15/4/1929. Nothing
definitely known about him.
William C Nicholson 14/12/1927 to 18/3/1928 (May
have been William Charles Nicholson, who was a coal Then we have the following: Frederick Lincoln ran the
merchant, living at Oliver Road by 1919, and on small store/tearooms near Carrington Road, so these
Beach Road (289 Pt Chevalier Road) in 1928 to at could well be all based there. Three of those on the offi-
least the mid 1930s as a carrier.) According to Mrs E cial list, Lincoln, Jennings and McLennan, have docu-
L Daniels, recalling Pt Chevalier township from the mented links with that part of the shopping centre.
The old building going, going … and gone. The site is
now roadway.

From Auckland Star 4 November 1972.

Mrs Daniels, in her recollections, said that a section


of the tea room “just inside the door was set off to
serve as the village Post Office.”

Frederick Roy Lincoln 16/4/1929 to 30/11/1930.


Frederick Roy Lincoln, with his wife Mary Minnie
(formerly the abandoned Mrs Wilson), lived on Miller
Street. Frederick was a pastry cook. Minnie Lincoln was once Pt Chevalier Road, at the rear of Unichem. In
would own the tearooms until 1932. May 1936, McKinney agreed to lease the two-room
shop to the post office for three years from 8 June 1936
Sydney Herbert Josling 1/12/1930 to 15/3/1931. He for 25s per week with right of renewal, less annual
doesn’t appear to have lived in the district. Rather, he Council rates of £8 12s 8d. However, they weren’t able
styled himself as “secretary” in Devonport in 1928, to gain access to alter the interior to suit until 4 July, as
bought shares in companies and applied to become a the existing tenant took that long to move out.
land agent from July 1931. Then faded from view.
In November, the department complained to McKinney
Sidney Jennings 16/3/1931 to 31/7/1932. He seems to that there was no water reticulation for the shop, “The
have been a grocer, living at Kenneth Ave, Sandring- non provision of a water supply makes it necessary to
ham. Jennings Ltd leased the tearooms at 1230 Great carry water from across the street and this, no doubt,
North Road from 1931 to 1933. The post office was you will agree is undesirable,” they told him.
located here as at 1932, according to Wises Directories. McKinney responded that he couldn’t afford to install a
water supply. Apparently, the post office staff just
Mrs Daphne/Dauphine McLennan 1/8/1932 to made do. The issue of rates and who paid what was a
7/1/1936. McLennan had the sub-lease, from Jennings thorny one for most of the tenancy. By November
Ltd, for the Wilson/Lincoln tearooms from 11 August 1938, there was still no water supply for the post office
1932 to 11 April 1933. Wises Directories show it was part of the building – but Council expected the depart-
still there in 1935. Then again, the directories still kept ment to pay part of the total water rates anyway.
it in place there for 1937, when by then it had moved
across the road to the McKinney block) The public, according to the floor plan, would enter
from Pt Chevalier Road. To their right and slightly left
George W Healey 8/1/1936 to 19/4/1936. He was at were writing desks attached to the wall on which to fill
the tearooms/store at this point according to the out forms, deposit slips, money orders etc. Straight
Council’s records. ahead, a telephone booth. Turning left, straight head
was the postal counter, with the staff flap to the right.
Mrs Daphne/Dauphine McLennan (again) 20/4/1936 Behind, and in the eastern side of the shop, was the
to 2/12/1944, when she retired. During her second staff area and office space.
period as postmaster, the department took out a lease
for part of McKinney’s block from 1 July 1936, and the Perhaps after all the fuss over water and rates it was
office was raised to permanent status from that of tem- with a departmental sigh of relief that an opportunity
porary on 1 February 1938. arose by 1939 for the post office to be moved to anoth-
er building all their own – the former Pt Chevalier
The lease documents for the post office show that it Library, constructed from bits of the former Remuera
was situated where the restaurant is today facing what Road Board office and later library, on the other side of
the Coronation hall which, in turn, had been fitted out as go, situated as it was smack dab in the middle of the
the district’s library from 1938. The City Council ap- new alignment. Post office department officials looked
proved selling the building to the government for £450 at alternative sites, and suggested one that was, ironi-
in March 1939. The post office vacated McKinney’s cally, just to the north of the two-room shop they’d
building on 30 November 1940. The post office’s new used back in the 1930s. Ministry of Works suggested
home was ready on 3 December 1940, and occupied they consider a temporary office near the rear of the
from 12 December. Ambassador Theatre, in what was then the Carrington
Road carpark. As the motorway work was due to affect
The kauri building was much more spacious than this, though, that idea was rejected. In November 1969,
McKinney’s leased shop. According to the original the City Council offered another solution – a site im-
plans, the public entered via a door to the east, into a mediately north of the library, on part of the reserve
room with public desks immediately to the left, in the between the old alignment of Pt Chevalier Road, and
far south-western corner a soundproof tolls booth, and the new.
to the right the counter, fitted across the width of the
building. Posting slots were placed on a side porch near By May 1970, the Council offered the former site of 8
the main entrance. The offices included a letter delivery Huia Road part of what would become the Huia Road
case, reasonably large mailroom, postmaster’s office, a carpark as the place for a temporary post office while
retiring room for staff and – yes! They had water for the new one was being built. This would have involved
two toilets and wash basins. Cycles were stowed in a cutting the existing building up and shifting it to the
small room at the north-west corner. new site, leasing the site from Council.

One highlight of the building’s history as a post office The Seaview Trust offered a site for the post office
for Pt Chevalier took place outside business hours, when within the arcade development in December 1970, but
burglars entered the building on the night of 8 April the post office administration considered the cost of the
1942, with the view of blowing open the safe and flee- rent to be excessive. In real need of a temporary site,
ing with their ill-gotten gains. Unfortunately, somehow however, they agreed with the Trust’s terms by the end
their gelignite failed to grant them access to what valua- of 1971, taking out a five year lease with right of re-
bles lay within. It did quite the opposite -- exploding newal. They also continued to push the Council for a
inside the safe, it jammed the door, sealing it, according detailed plan for an alternative site on which to build a
to news reports at the time. The crims left with nil profit permanent replacement for the building they were soon
from the misadventure. to lose.

After Mrs McLennan retired in 1944, there were a num- In February 1972, the departmental land purchase of-
ber of postmasters that served in the wooden building ficer wrote to the City Council recommending that the
beside the library. land on which the old building was sited be made part
of the new alignment, provided that (amongst other
M D Hunter 4/12/1944 to 10/2/1956, tr ansfer r ed to things) the Council made the site to the north of the
Takapuna library available for a new post office, and that the
J D Snow 20/2/1956 to 19/2/1960, tr ansfer r ed to Grey Council paid all moving costs to the post office’s tem-
Lynn porary accommodation. The temporary premises inside
R K Simpson 5/9/1960 to 9/7/1965, tr ansfer r ed to the new arcade were opened 27 March 1972.
Newmarket
F M Lorie 1/9/1965 to 31/5/1967, became postmaster Despite the initial reluctance to take up the Seaview
at George Courts Trust’s offer, the post office authorities found their new
R W Downer 12/6/1967 to 11/8/1969, tr ansfer r ed to premises within the arcade to be “of a much higher
Devonport standard” than those in the old building, and with no
R W D Livingston 29/9/1969 to 28/10/1976, tr ans- firm plans in sight for a new building on the site of-
ferred to Waiuku. fered by Council beside the library, there didn’t seem
to be any urgency to shift again. One memo stated that
On 8 June 1970, another postal agency opened in the the temporary accommodation at the arcade might not
district – called Coyle Park Post Office, it operated in be “temporary” after all. Gradually, though, the post
conjunction with a stationery shop at the corner of office authorities realised that the site within the arcade
Raymond Street and Pt Chevalier Road. The urgings to was poorly located for their purposes, away from the
establish a post office in the area went back to 1924, main street and main pedestrian flow. Meanwhile, the
when the response then from the Chief Postmaster was process of exchanging the former site of the post office
“start a petition!” This agency probably disappeared by for the new one offered by the Council ground on into
the 1990s. the mid 1970s. Finally, in early 1976, the exchange was
completed.
In 1968, Auckland City Council announced plans to
realign Pt Chevalier Road’s junction with Great North The last Pt Chevalier postmasters were:
Road – which meant that the post office building had to TAW McLauchlan 27/7/1977 to 7/3/1980,
transferred to Auckland. Nothing further was done towards the building of a new
J M Pellett, 30/6/1980 to 10/3/1985, tr ansfer r ed to post office beside the library. It was probably far too
Hamilton. late – and major changes were coming for the entire
C E MacKenzie 30/9/1985 to ? (no date given). post office network. The post office inside the arcade
closed, as did a lot of post offices around the country
In 1984, with the Council on the verge of completing (including the new post office at Mt Albert), at some
their design plans for the new library at Pt Chevalier point in the late 1980s to early 1990s. Essentially,
(demolition began mid 1986, and the library was things reverted to where they had begun with this story:
opened the following year), the Ministry of Works and back to a postal agency within a shop (Pt Chevalier
Development was pressed by Council to finalise their PostShop). It’s likely that would have happened any-
part of the development (work on testing the soils at the way, even if the brand new building had ever left the
site done in 1982) – the library and post office intend- drawing board.
ed to be part of a compatible design, including space
for a public courtyard and toilets. But by 1984, there The site for the new post office became Council land
seemed to be disagreement as to the agreed configura- officially on 10 August 1989, and that was that.
tion, with the location of the public toilets being a
sticking point. But back in 1919 – another idea for a post office
site
Had the full development taken place, the new post
office would have been an irregular-sided square build- Back when the post office at the shopping centre ap-
ing with skylights, a clear dome at the centre on top of peared to be shifting from the original store site to the
the roof for plenty of natural light, with 17 internal one nearer Carrington Road, and at times shutting down
spaces for the public areas and office administration. completely because the government couldn’t pay
With the library’s design at the Great North Road end, enough salary – Thomas Dignan, in 1919, stepped back
it would have complimented the former building’s into the story one last time, and almost put forward an
modern design, and created more of an enclosed space offer. When he had a survey plan drawn up for residen-
between them and the shopping arcade and super- tial sites on Pt Chevalier Road at the Te Ra Road junc-
market. tion in September 1919, one site at 295 Pt Chevalier
Road was marked “Post Office”, as Dignan had every
The City Architect wrote to the District Engineer for intention of donating it to the government as such.
the Ministry of Works and Development at Hamilton in
April 1986, advising that work was going to shortly However, the following year Dignan went bankrupt. In
proceed with the demolition of the old library building, January 1926 one John James A Edgar of Meola Road
and the construction of the new one, and asked for ad- (a former committee member of the Progressive
vice as to the Ministry’s own programme of construc- League) wrote to the Chief Postmaster saying that it
tion … and that’s where the files end. was about time that Point Chevalier had a purpose-built

What might have been — part of the design plan for Point Chevalier’s new post office that was never built, 1984. Looking from
the arcade side, the present library site to the left. Ministry of Works, Auckland District Office, Multple number subject files:
Post Offices, Pt Chevalier Post Office, BBFY A1179 1054 Box 411 R22702617, Archives New Zealand/Te Rua Mahara o te
Kawanatanga, Auckland Regional Office. Reproduced by kind permission.
post office. It looks like he was the one to point out to maintain the site and repair all fences, as long as they
the authorities the site set aside by Dignan nine years had permission to put up a “wooden boarded building
before. In July, with the cost of sections in Point about 40ft x 40ft roofed with iron.” The department re-
Chevalier priced at around £200, the Chief Postmaster sponded by suggesting a five year lease, with three
wrote to the Official Assignee, who held the remains of month notice to leave, and this proved unacceptable to
Thomas Dignan’s estate, and asked about the procedure the club, who expected a lease of a much longer term,
to have the promised site transferred to the department. such as 21 years with right of renewal.
The Official Assignee wasn’t sure that his office was
administering that site – in all the complexity of More successful was William James Roseman, living in
Dignan’s bankruptcy, that had seemed to have slipped Te Ra Road, who in 1932 wrote asking to use the section
through the cracks. Dignan’s lawyers however assured as a garden while he was registered as unemployed. He
the Chief Postmaster that Dignan had had every intention was granted free use of the section, the post office au-
of the site being crown land, and that they understood a thorities happy that in so doing, the site was kept free of
condition of approval of his survey plan at the time was the furze and wild blackberries growing rampantly there.
for that to be so. The whole section was under cultivation by February of
the following year.
The section was described by the Chief Postmaster to his
superiors as “conveniently situated for post office pur- During World War II, the notion that the section by Te
poses, and is otherwise suitable …” The response was Ra Road could be that for a post office was abandoned.
“… well-situated to meet the requirements as a site for a In December 1945, the section was again gazetted, this
future post office building.” Arrangements were put in time as a postmaster’s residence site. A three-bedroom
place for the section to be transferred to the Crown, and house was built shortly afterward. The procedure to dis-
this was arranged by gazette notice in December 1926. pose of the land began in 1988, around the time the de-
partment gave up the idea of building the new post office
In December 1929, the Pt Chevalier League Football behind the library at Hall Corner, and was transferred to
Club wrote to the Chief Postmaster offering to lease the Housing New Zealand in 1995.
still vacant site for £7 10s per annum, promising to

Next issue due out August 2018


Contact Lisa Truttman (editor) : 19 Methuen Road, Avondale, Auckland 0600, phone (09) 828-8494
or email ptchevalierhistory@gmail.com

Membership of the Point Chevalier Historical Society


Membership is open to all with an interest in our area’s history, and costs only $20 per person ($30 for two or more in
the same household). This entitles you to vote at our meetings, and to receive mailed copies of the Point Chevalier
Times.
Send cheques to: Pt Chevalier Histor ical Society, C/- 119C Hutchinson Avenue
New Lynn, Auckland 0600
Your membership fees mean that we can keep publishing the Point Chevalier Times.
Your support would be appreciated.

Related Interests