This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
) Presentation by Bill Brady B. Brady: Thank you for this time to visit with you. I am a graduate of Illinois Wesleyan and stayed around central Illinois. Focusing on what’s important for Illinois in the next decade. There is record debt and a great loss of jobs (200,000 jobs lost in the last month). We need to rectify this situation and need to think toward the future. Jobs are the most important thing toward the future because they are important to everyone. We cannot raise tax rates on families and businesses. We need to stabilize taxes and not raise them. We need to level the playing field. We need a council of academic advisors and an infrastructure for education, medicine and a utility grid. Need to do a better job of branding our medical areas. Planning for the future is the critical part. We need to live within our means and not raise taxes. There is more coal in Illinois than Saudi Arabia has oil. If we build a state that works, people will come. L. McAllister: Thank you for coming to us today. We bring the voice of the students out. R. Hartman: Constitution Day is tomorrow. We are going to show a video to educate people about the day. We will facilitate a discussion. This is a kick-off to political awareness. We are also doing a voter registration drive L. McAllister: We did a letter signing campaign for the M.A.P. grant because 1/3 of Elmhurst students are provided a M.A.P. Grant. What are you planning for grants for private and public schooling? B. Brady: Thank you for your pressure on the senator because it brought attention to the issue. I can’t guarantee that all the funding will be there. We need to think about where do dollars reap the greatest economic benefit? R. Hartman: Education is a high priority on our list. Some of us seniors need jobs. Where do you place these priorities? B. Brady: Public safety, healthcare, education, transportation are all important. We need to see where systems of support are. A reduction in spending is necessary and need to weed out the unneeded spending; until the audit is done we don’t know what has been going on so we can’t delve in. B. Kaplan: You don’t want to continue raising taxes. What other ways are you thinking of doing this? B. Brady: We need to raise revenue to sustain the government. Need more job and need to have people spend less. This builds wealth and the state will be better. R. Nelson: It was quoted in the Tribune that you said the state doesn’t need to support equal pay for women. B. Brady: I support equal pay. That may be from ads distorting my campaign from opposing candidates. R. Nelson: It was also said that you were not for raising minimum wage. B. Brady: We need to have a level playing field.
Meeting was called to Order at approximately 11:55am Brittany Willeford took Roll. a. Present: J. Denhof, T. Harris, R. Hartmen, B. Kaplan, M. Lantz, L. McAllister, J. Meding, R. Nelson, A. Romano, J. Scott, P. Silva, H. Wahlen, B. Willeford. Dr. Doty, Dr. Kraus, I. Crone, Dr. Sullivan. b. Excused: Dr. Doty, Ruth Pusich c. Absent:
Agenda was moved Move new business provisional recognition to before policy committee reports. Approval of the Minutes, abstain C. Smith Committee Reports: a. External i. Advisory Council to the Strategic Plan L. McAllister: Looked at what’s most important to the students waiting for approval on list T. Harris: The survey is going out later today so make sure to take it and tell other people to as well. b. Internal i. Student Services R. Hartman: Tomorrow is constitution day and there will be an event at 2pm; will have a list of questions for people to discuss. J. Scott. Have more ideas of how to get people’s ideas: Oct. 12, penny for your thought or fun to have something like a therapist session ii. Policy J. Meding: yield the floor to Michael Size for his rugby presentation M. Size: This will provide a new fun and exciting activity for people to be involved in. It will create new publicity for college (during travel) and will provide a larger sense of community. It will keep students busy and provide a community atmosphere. It also brings diversity to the college. We will be playing under USA Rugby, and Chicago Area Rugby. If funding is available it would be appreciated, otherwise fees for uniform, refs, player fee, and equipment will be funded by the players. J. Meding: This has Policy Committee’s recommendation B. Kaplan: How many people do you have so far? M. Size: Have had about 30 people. R. Nelson: What are the rules and regulations? Want to be sure hazing isn’t an issue. M. Size: Have never been a part of hazing in the past but if there is an issue, it will be addressed in the beginning and there will be consequences for actions. M. Yagen: How do all the fees work? M. Size: Once you’re in the league, you don’t have to pay the onetime fee again, but there are annual fees ($200 yearly). J. Scott: So how is the idea of a championship looking? M. Size: I’m a competitor. I don’t like to lose and want to make the playoffs. I see it going there. I. Crone: I would like to speak to work they have been doing. They have been focusing on risk management and Mike has been really intentional about pursuing information that we need to get. They would work with Wellness Center for physicals and each player would have their own insurance. An advisor will be present at every practice and they are working on getting a trainer. They have a physical booked on Wednesday. J. Denhof: Motion to approve recognition for Rugby, they seem pretty legit and have done a lot to work. Passed
Vote passed unanimously approved J. Meding: More orgs next week- working on S.O.B. budgeting because still having some problems with orgs that didn’t show up. iii. VP Finance T. Harris: Granted $4000 to about 5 orgs at Co-Op this week. Something new this year is that the group will come in, meet with committee and after the committee discusses it, they will have the org come in and they will find out the amount they will get and why so they can ask questions. Another Co-Op meeting will be tomorrow from 1-2pm in the Melanthon room. Have about 5 more orgs coming. iv. PR B. Kaplan:. Nothing big right now, just sent e-mail to people who didn’t go to SORT- working with everyone on that
Advisor Reports: a. E. Sullivan: The visitor (Bill Bryan) does not mean endorsement by the college. We will most likely have more visitors. Thanks for all your questions and good work. b. Ian: Echo Eileen. You all handled yourself with poise and confidence. Good job with getting work done after. SGA Retreat is next weekend and we need all the travel policy forms. Keep in mind that Thursday, October 21st is the Etiquette Dinner probably from 4-6ish. Also mark your calendar to prepare for the Board of Trustees meetings. Additionally, Ted Harris submitted an ed session for a conference in Indiana and has been accepted as a presenter. He is speaking about student activity fee allocation. Congratulations! Old Business a. Finish First Read of Part 2 of Financial By-laws New Business a. First Read of Part 3 of the Finance By-Laws T. Harris: Provisional Student Organizations, PG 4- the new section is the funding piece. Need to go to Co-Op for most events. We had a debate last year on Blackboard. Need to submit a proposal and need to submit an evaluation after the event. Will also have a start-up budget- 75% of what an allocated org would get; any extra from 1st semester won’t roll over J. Denhof: Why do we have 6 months instead of 5 months? I. Crone: That makes sense. J. Denhof: Can they get funding before the 6 months are over? T. Harris: Yes. B. Mingus: Where do groups fit in that are unrecognized by SGA? J. Meding: Need to go through Provisional Recognition all over again T. Harris: Types of reimbursements (was just check requests before)- put a sub-heading and renamed; check requests are basically the sameanything over $500 needs to be signed by the advisor (only changed from $1000). J. Denhof: Faculty advisors should be written in. L. McAllister: It is stated. I. Crone: If someone fills out a check request to reimburse themselves, they need to have someone else sign it. T. Harris: Internal transfer- nothing’s changed- also added signature for $500
J. Denhof: Move to table discussion to next meeting- motion passes b. Administrative Representative L. McAllister: Need another admin rep because Dr. Beauchamp cannot do it- will do next week IX. X. Comments from the Gallery: Announcements: a. R. Nelson: Interfaith Issues- dinner on September 27th Adjournment a. Motion made, Seconded b. Unanimous Vote. c. Meeting adjourned at 12:30pm
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue reading from where you left off, or restart the preview.