This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Richmond The Richmond is artfully sculptured to ensure comfort to the highest degree. Offered in both fabric and leather you can even select from a 2 & 3 seat sofa or a 2 & 3 seat sofa with each end seat moving independently for individual relaxation.
noRscii The norscii is a modern washed oak with open bentwood arms and a chrome lever handle as standard in a vibrant bright red. Offered in both fabric and leather the norscii is vibrant and designed for comfort.
Unwind and colour
ARmAni This stunning contemporary design is offered in both fabric and leather. Options available include armchair, ottoman, a 2.5 or 3 seat sofa which has each end seat moving independently for individual relaxation with either a hand lever or hidden power button to ease you into comfort.
BUCKLE accessories are available from David Jones, Myer and all leading independent retailers throughout Australia and New Zealand. For stockists call +61 2 9798 5333.
The eiLeen 2.5 SeATeR wiTh chAiSe + OTTOmAn This lovely L-shape design is upholstered in the highest quality leather and featuring buttoned seating and reverse contrast stitching. Available in a wide range of contemporary and classic colours. Visit www.nickscali.com.au for your nearest showroom.
3. Webcams have an on/oFF sWitch – use it. webcams: brilliant for staying in touch when you are geographically remote, otherwise dangerous as hell. There are many things in life which are fascinating to broadcast but unfortunately your face lit-up by the glow of a blue screen at 3am after two cans of Red Bull and a night of ordinary trading is not one of them. Save it for wishing your grandma in canada a happy birthday. 7. photoshop oF hoRRoRs. Let’s face it, the people who invented photo editing software are actually the closest thing to wizards alive today. A click here, a click there and suddenly your Aunty mabel looks almost human again. But be judicious and fair with your edits: one man’s mole is another’s beauty spot. And sometimes seeing a photo of yourself re-done will actually highlight your flaws, not hide them.
Snap, upload, share... trouble
there are countless examples of digital photos catching people out. Who could forget the lead up to the 2008 olympics, when people became more obsessed with Facebook photos showing stephanie Rice’s choice of police uniform for a fancy dress party than her chances of bringing home gold? With cameras everywhere – in our phones, our computers and our pockets – this is the definitive guide to etiquette in the digital world.
4. being anti-social is ok. You go out after work. You have a few drinks. You have a dance. You have a kebab. You have some more drinks. You snog someone from accounting. You have your photo taken. You find the photo on Facebook on monday morning. You have an uncomfortable ‘please explain’ meeting with hR. You have an even more uncomfortable ‘please explain’ from pretty much everyone who knows anyone in those photos. You realise just how many people use social media these days. You go for a job interview. You miss out on the job after they Google you. You go out after work. You have a few drinks…
FUJiFiLm FinePix ReAL 3D SYSTem in a world first Fujifilm have released a 3D camera which can capture and view pictures in 3D format – without wearing those special glasses. A robust aluminium diecast frame has been used to protect the lenses from vibration and impact. RRP $899 FinePix ReAL 3D V1 PicTURe VieweR This viewer is now available to view your newly taken 3D photos and videos on an 8-inch display screen. The side touch screen menu allows you access to various playback functions and the intuitive remote control can adjust the angle for clearer 3D viewing. RRP $699
8. skills not FRills. it doesn’t matter how fancy-schmancy the effects on your camera are, if you don’t know what you are doing you will still produce terrible photos. half the fun of digital cameras is that you can delete the ordinary pics – but make sure you learn what you did wrong and work on changing it. And a word of advice – nobody ever looks good on night-vision. There are only a few occasions in life when you will need to remember this saying: “it didn’t work for Paris hilton, it won’t work for me”.
sony nEx-3 & nEx-5 This 14.2 megapixel camera will allow you to effortlessly capture stunning, DSLR quality photos and full hD 1080i videos in AVchD or mP4 format. The nex-3 starts at $849.00
1. You still have to ask. For permission, that is. The general rule of taking photos is if you are in a public place you can snap whatever you want (even if you are looking into a private area), but as soon as you are on private property then you should be asking if you can take a shot. Of course there are many shades of grey with this, but if you’re not comfortable asking for permission to take the shot, then chances are you should think again before doing it. And just remember, taking covert shots of people is actually kind of creepy.
5. boRing is still boRing. Sit down grandkids, let me tell you a story. A long time ago we didn’t have cameras in our phones. Actually, we didn’t even have phones at all, but that’s not the point of this story. Anyway, the point is that because we had to take a photo, wait for the film to be developed and then get it printed we actually cared what we took a photo of. i know you might find this story boring, kids, but it’s nowhere near as boring as the photos you’re showing me of some guy on a train who ‘looks funny’. now go and grab me another cup of tea. when you come back i’m going to tell you about typewriters.
9. caRe beFoRe You shaRe. OK, so you have taken a photo of a piece of bread that looks kind of like Kevin Rudd. You can either show it to your friends when you see them, or you can send it as a photo message and hope they don’t mind footing the bill for your culinary tomfoolery. having said that, if you do find a piece of bread that looks like Kevin Rudd, do send a photo of it to email@example.com so we can have a laugh.
PAnASOnic LUmix Dmc-FZ28 For a top image quality camera the Lumix 10.1 megapixel high sensitivity ccD features a new, high-quality ccD manufactured completely in-house by Panasonic and a 18x optical zoom.
cAnOn ixUS 300 hD The new canon ixUS 300hD 10.0 megapixel camera is perfect for taking portraits of family and friends with added features such as: smile shutter, face detection self-timer, blink detection, a 3-inch LcD screen and a hD movie recording function
2. shoW ‘em and thRoW ‘em. everyone has been there: you eye off the last macaroon on the plate and then put the whole thing in your mouth so no-one notices and someone takes the photo just as your cheek muscles adjust like a squirrel preparing for winter. The polite thing to do once you have taken an embarrassing photo is to show someone the shot you have just taken and delete it if they protest too much. Remember that you will have a much better chance of keeping the candid shot if you don’t laugh out of your nose as soon as it comes up on the screen.
6. beeps aRe FoR beginneRs. it would have been great to be a fly on the wall of the development meeting for the first digital cameras when someone decided that the technology was great, but it just didn’t feel like you were taking a photo anymore. The solution? A digital sound effect of a shutter clicking that would play when you took a photo. Yes, it’s amusing the first time. And maybe the second. After that it is downright annoying and it chews up your battery power.
10. memoRY stealing. At some point you are going to accidentally get access to somebody else’s photos. maybe they left a memory stick in the computer at the library. maybe you found their mobile phone. maybe they told you to flick through their camera’s photos of the new puppy and you scrolled back into the ‘other’ photos on the card. The point is, if you will see other peoples’ snaps it’s just as likely they will see yours – so delete the photos you don’t want the world to see as soon as they are taken. This especially applies if you are friends of one of one of the following: any football club, the Australian swimming team, or anyone at high school.
Lumix dmc-Fh1 This fun looking camera is available in a range of colours featuring a large 12.1 megapixels. Just press the iA button, aim and shoot, the camera does all the rest, automatically activating four detection and correction functions. Lightning fast 0.35 press till snap function. Available from $249
whether you like high back or low back chairs the Addison range can accommodate according to your preference. The Addison high Back Office chair in available in white for $399 and the Addison Low Back Office chair in Black for $349
GA M E F OR A F R E E N IGH T ’ S STAY I N A 5 STA R HOT E L ?
xeLSiS STAinLeSS STeeL For coffee lovers the xelsis, Saeco’s most high end fully automatic coffee machine, has a multi-beverage capability and can remember up to 6 coffee profiles. effortless one touch intuitive display and automatic cleaning function, the xelsis is silent even while brewing your coffee.
mOTORmOUSe The motormouse – half car and half mouse is an innovative gadget for car enthusiasts and office workers alike. Tribute to the classic Porsche 911, the computer mouse features an ultra-wide ‘spare-tyre’ scroll wheel, illuminating headlights, and chrome alloy wheels with real rubber tyres. exclusively available through www.exectoys.com.au
OxFORD DeSK For many of us keeping work at work is no longer a reality and bringing home work is sometimes a necessity. The Oxford desk made from solid ash wood and reconstituted leather looks great and will make working that bit easier. Available from freedom.com.au/Stores/
Gadgets for your office
POweRmAT You can now charge your iPhone, blackberry and ipod at the same time without any wires. Depending on the bundle you buy you will receive back covers to attach to your phone so that the Powermat can effectively charge them. Starting at $199.99 for an office starter kit. Available at JB hi-Fi, David Jones, harvey norman and selected myer Stores.
Talk about a stroke of luck. Enjoy two rounds of golf and not only will we put you up in a deluxe room at InterContinental Dubai Festival City, we’ll include breakfast, all from the starting price of AED 999++. Now that’s what you call a win-win situation. If you’d prefer, you can play a single round of golf and treat yourself or partner to a selected spa treatment at the luxurious Spa InterContinental. Either way, you’re in for a memorable experience. Located a few minutes away from the 18-hole championship Al Badia Golf Course, you can look forward to unrivalled hospitality, superb service and an exceptional stay at the world-class InterContinental Dubai Festival City. For bookings please call the hotel on +971 4 701 1110 or email firstname.lastname@example.org Please quote the phrase “Stay & Play” to the reservation agent when making your booking.
Offer valid until 15 September 2010. Terms and Conditions apply. intercontinental.com albadiagolfclub.ae
Do you live an InterContinental life?
This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
We've moved you to where you read on your other device.
Get the full title to continue listening from where you left off, or restart the preview.