You are on page 1of 22


Lisbon in Three Days Top Attractions

© 2014-2017 All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.
Day 1
9:00am Castelo de São Jorge
A large Medieval castle complex with archaeological ruins,
museum and gardens

11:05am Alfama
Lisbon's oldest neighborhood with traditional houses and
picturesque narrow cobbled alleyways

12:55pm Miradouro de Sao Pedro

de Alcantara
One of the most popular lookout points set in a beautiful

2:00pm Museu São Roque and

Sacred Art Museum
A jaw-droppingly beautiful 16th century baroque church with
Chapel of St. John

3:05pm Bairro Alto

Wander the lanes of this historic district famed for nightlife
and architecture

4:50pm Lisbon Story Center

A museum highlighting Lisbon history through multimedia

6:20pm Arco Triunfal da Rua

A triumphal arch constructed in 1755 with observation

© 2014-2017 All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.
9:00am Castelo de São Jorge
Visit Duration: 2 hours

Saint George’s Castle looks down over Lisbon and is a major landmark that can be seen from anywhere in
the city. The oldest portions of the castle structure dates back to the ancient Romans followed by the
Visigoths and then the Moors. The castle or citadel was a Moorish palace fortified in the 11 th century. When
the city was taken by King Afonso Henrique I in 1147 aided by the northern European Crusaders the castle
became a royal residence as well as the royal court, home to the bishop and the Royal Archives. In thanks for
the Crusader’s help the castle was named after the patron saint of England, Saint George. This act of
allegiance also symbolized the Anglo-Portuguese pact which was signed in 1371. The castle was the site of
many important events and coronations. In 1580 Portugal joined the Spanish Crown and the purpose of the
castle became more military. This continued into the early 20 th century. The structure suffered damage from
the 1755 earthquake and underwent many renovations which covered up the historic monument. The fortified
walls and the original 18 towers survived the earthquake. Today we can see the remains of the royal palace Image By: islandjoe
Image Source:
and castle in the archaeological exhibit of the castle and the citadel has been restored to its former glory.

Visitors to the castle can climb to the ramparts and get views across the city. There is a beautiful castle
garden where ducks, peacocks and geese roam freely. In the Tower of Ulysses you can see C â mara Address: Rua Flores de Santa Cruz 3, Alfama,
Escura. This periscope machine projects images of the city .The castle has three underground chambers 1100-129 Lisbon, Portugal, entrance on Rua de
Santa Cruz
where there is a small archaeological museum. One of these rooms is where Vasco da Gama was received
Phone Number: 21 880-06-20
by the king. Above the main entrance of the castle you can see the coat of arms of Portugal and the date
Admission: €8.50
1846. From here you enter the main square within the castle walls. Here there are old cannons and a statue
of Afonso Henriques. From here you can reach the ruins of the former royal palace which now hosts a
Opening Hours: Nov-Feb 9am-6pm, Mar-Oct
multimedia show about Lisbon’s history. 9am-9pm

© 2014-2017 All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.
11:05am Alfama / Alfama Neighborhood
Visit Duration: 1 hour, 30 mins
0.2 mi, 3 minutes walking from Castelo de São Jorge

The Alfama neighborhood is one of the most beautiful in the city, it has tightly packed narrow cobblestone
alleyways on steep hills so it is always best to begin exploring Alfama from the top and work your way down.
At the top is the castle and at the bottom the estuary. A walk though Alfama will give you a glimpse of the
traditional way of life in Lisbon and of how most of Lisbon looked before being generally gentrified. Alfama is
also the site of S é Cathedral, the national pantheon and Saint Anthony’s Church. Here you can
find small neighborhood cafes where locals hang out, small public squares, churches, tile
panels, whitewashed houses, wrought-iron balconies, colorful laundry strung from the windows
and window sills dripping with bright flowers. The neighborhood is said to have inspired Fado
Image By: Manuel Menal
th Image Source:
Alfama began as a neighborhood inhabited by the Visigoths in the 5 century and you can still find parts of,_Lisbon#/med
the old Visigoth town wall. After the Visigoths came the Moors and Alfama became an elite residential area.
The area suffered from earthquakes and many of the buildings were damaged leaving the neighborhood
dilapidated; however thanks to the solid rock beneath the houses it was one of the few areas in the city that Address: On the hills between the castle and
Tejo River
survived the 1755 earthquake. So the rich moved out and the simple folk moved in. The neighborhood retains
a village feel where the locals know each other and are also friendly to visitors. Not only does Alfama offer a
peak into the historical soul of Lisbon but you can also enjoy views across the city from this elevated
Opening Hours:
neighborhood. As the neighborhood has begun to attract more tourists you can now find shopping streets with
boutique stores and unique specialty stores. The best way to see Alfama is to get lost and enjoy the
picturesque scenes or take the historic tram #28 through the neighborhood.

© 2014-2017 All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.
12:55pm Miradouro de Sao Pedro de Alcantara
Visit Duration: 1 hour
1.0 mi, 21 minutes walking from Alfama

This is one of several observation points overlooking the city and the most popular of the look-out points. It is
located in the Bairro Alto neighborhood in the Jardim Ant ó nio Nobre and is also referred to as
“belvedere” which means beautiful vantage point. From here you can get brilliant views of St.
George’s Castle, S é Cathedral, S ã o Vicente de For a Church and the city center. At the site there is an
azulejo ceramic tile map of the view and all the points of interested are indicated.

The garden is on two levels and in the landscaped geometric gardens on the lower terrace you can see busts
of local heroes and of Greco-Roman mythological gods. The upper level is the most popular and here you
can enjoy many trees, benches and a statue of a founder of a local newspaper, Eduardo Coelho. There is a
baroque-style fountain which adds to the garden’s charm. During the day the garden is peaceful and quiet but Image By: Public Domain
Image Source:
at night local teenagers like to hang out here. Reaching the observation point is an attraction in itself as you
can travel up to the top of the hill on the Gloria Elevator from Restauradores Square; the funicular dates back
to 1885. If you are looking for sites nearby there is the Solar do Vinho do Porto (Port Wine Institute)where you
can taste wines in an 18 th century building. Address: Accessed from the Gloria Elevator -
Calcada da Gloria, Lisbon, Portugal
Phone Number: (Gloria Elevator operator) 21 363
Opening Hours:
Web: Gloria Elevator site -

© 2014-2017 All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.
2:00pm Museu São Roque and Sacred Art Museum
Visit Duration: 1 hour
0.2 mi, 3 minutes walking from Miradouro de Sao Pedro de Alcantara

The museum and church stand side by side, from the outside they are not impressive but the interior is one of
the most stunning churches in the city. The church was commissioned by the Jesuits and designed by Filippo
Terzi who also designed the S ã o Vicente Church. As you enter the church you will not know where
to look first. Above the nave is a painted wood ceiling and along the sides of the nave are eight
chapels with splendid baroque art. The 16 th century Jesuit church’s most famed attraction is
the Chapel of Saint John created by Luigi Vanvitelli. The chapel was assembled in Rome using
the most opulent materials like lapis lazuli, gold and alabaster then it was shipped to Lisbon and
reassembled in 1747. The chapel is said to be the world’s most expensive. In the church
sacristy are scenes depicting the lives of the Jesuit saints. The church also holds several sacred
Image By: Bosc d'Anjou
relics including a thorn from Jesus’ crown of thorns and a piece of wood said to have come from Image Source:
Christ’s crib.

Adjacent to the church is a museum, Museu de Arte Sacra or the Museum of Sacred Art. Here you cans see
Address: Largo Trindade Coelho 20, Bairro Alto,
liturgical garments, vestments and religious objects. There are intricately embroidered capes and gold and
1200-470 Lisbon, Portugal
silver religious object encrusted with jewels. The bronze and silver torch holders are just a few of the
Phone Number: 21 323-5444
highlights. There are also a collection of baroque silver and 16 th century paintings. Admission: Museum €2.50
Opening Hours: Igreja de Sao Roque Mon-SUn
9:30am-5pm; Museum Tue-Wed/Fri-Sun
10am-6pm, Thurs 2pm-9pm

© 2014-2017 All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.
3:05pm Bairro Alto
Visit Duration: 1 hour, 30 mins
0.2 mi, 6 minutes walking from Museu São Roque and Sacred Art Museum

The Bairro Alto neighborhood is built on one of Lisbon’s hills (some say seven hills); it is the Upper District
which was formed by urban expansion beyond the medieval city walls in the 16 th century. The district is
united by its shared culture, history and social norms rather than municipal classification of official borders.
The Bairro (neighborhood) is delimited by Calcada do Combro, Rua do Loretto, Rua de O S é culo, Rua D.
Pedro V, Rua da Miseric ó rdia and Rua de S ã o Pedro de Alc â ntara. It is famed as the city’s
bohemian quarter with dynamic nightlife, eateries, vintage boutiques and specialty stores.

The narrow cobbled streets in the Bairro alto are on a grid pattern running parallel to the river and
perpendicular to the river. The district retains its medieval layout in long narrow plots where residential homes
of 3-4 stories stand. Rua da Rosa runs through the entire district cutting it in half. The buildings are generally Image By: Public Domain
Image Source:
asymmetrical with no standardized pattern of windows or staircases. The district is famed for its distinct
architecture with bay and sill windows, attics, balconies, eaves and interesting façade designs. You can see
examples of Pombaline-era architecture which is distinguished by its central staircase and mansard roofs.
Bairro Alto is the site of the ephemeral Museum, beautiful churches, the city’s top nightclubs, good Address: Bordered by Calcada do Combro, Rua
do Loretto, Rua de O Século, Rua D. Pedro V,
restaurants, bars and cafes.
Rua da Misericórdia and Rua de São Pedro de

© 2014-2017 All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.
4:50pm Lisbon Story Center
Visit Duration: 1 hour, 30 mins
0.9 mi, 16 minutes walking from Bairro Alto

This museum is housed in a wing of the Pra ç a do Com é rcio. The displays tell the story of Lisbon’s
history by highlighting the main events and personalities. Five of the major events which shaped
the history of Lisbon are displayed in chronological order through six sections. Each display
makes use of multimedia, diorama-like scenes, models and real artifacts. The displays are
interactive and fun although historically accurate. Themes include myths, legends and facts
about the city’s first settlers; Lisbon as a global city; the Age of Discovery; the great earthquake
of 1755; Pombaline Lisbon and life, politics and recreation on Palace Square where the
museum is located. There are models of more than 12 key historic events in Lisbon and a scale
model of the Baixa Pombalina Zone. General aspects of the city are also covered and there are
regular temporary exhibitions. You can go through the exhibition using a 60 minute audio Image By: Luis Fernandes Ferreira
Image Source:

Address: Terreiro do Paço, 78-81, Lisbon,

Phone Number: 21 194-1099
Admission: Adult €7, Child €3
Opening Hours: Mon-Sun 10am–8pm

© 2014-2017 All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.
6:20pm Arco Triunfal da Rua Augusta
Visit Duration: 30 mins
0.1 mi, 2 minutes walking from Lisbon Story Center

The triumphal arch at the end of the pedestrian street Rua Augusta opens up on to Commerce Square. It has
been recently restored and is now not only very clean and repaired but is also open to visitors who want to go
up to the observation level. The arch was constructed in 1755 following an earthquake in the same year as a
celebration of the reconstruction of the city following the quake. It was only completed in 1875.

The top of the arch is adorned with sculptures by C é lestin Anatole Calmels of allegorical figures featuring
Glory crowning Genius and Valor who sit on either side of Glory. On the lower levels of the arch there are
more figures this time by Vitor Bastos. Bastos’ sculptures are of famous Portuguese figures including Vasco
da Gama, Pereira and Viriato. Two reclining figures represent the Tagus River and Douro River. On the side
of the arch facing Rue Augusta there is a clock, stone reliefs and filigree decoration. The arch has six Image By: Allie_Caulfied
Image Source:
columns reaching 11 meters high and the cornice is 30 meters high. It features the Portuguese coat of arms.

Visitors can go up to the top of the monumental arch by elevator for panoramic views over Terreiro do Pa ç o
Square, the Baixa district, Lisbon Cathedral, St. George’s Castle and the Tagus River. While Address: Rua Augusta 2/Praça do Comércio,
inside the arch you can learn about the history of the arch from an exhibition entitled “ Sala do Lisbon, Portugal
Relogio.” The arch featured in the Ted Danson version of Gulliver’s Travels when Gulliver was
wheeled through the arch in Lilliput.

© 2014-2017 All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.
Day 2
10:00am Jerónimos Monastery
A magnificent Gothic architectural masterpiece, church,
cloisters and monastery

10:40am Centro Cultural de

Portugal's largest cultural center with auditorium and
modern, contemporary art exhibition

12:45pm Padrão dos

A monument dedicated to the 15th-16th century Age of

1:30pm Belém Tower

An iconic UNESCO defense tower with magnificent
architecture, history and views from ramparts

3:00pm Aquário Vasco da Gama

A collection of marine animals, seals, sea-turtles and
oceanographic equipment

© 2014-2017 All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.
10:00am Jerónimos Monastery / Mosteiro dos Jerónimos
Visit Duration: 1 hour, 30 mins

This is a monastery of the military Order of Saint Jerome, it is an outstanding example of late-Gothic
Manueline architecture and is a UNESCO site. The monastery was constructed on the orders of King Manuel
I near the site of an earlier 5th century church of Santa Maria de Bel é m. It was completed c.1601 and given
to the Order of St. Jerome. It remained the headquarters for this religious community until 1833. The large
monastery complex stands on the bank of the River Tagus. The structure has been an integral part of
Portuguese history for the last five centuries. The building was the burial place of royals and the site is famed
as being where Vasco da Gama spent the night before leaving for his expedition to the Orient.

Architectural highlights include the South Portal, an large and ornate entrance way designed by Juan de
Castilho. The portal resembles a shrine and rises 32 meters in the air and is 12 meters wide. It has Gothic
pinnacles, scenes from the life of St. Jerome, a statue of Henry the Navigator and other statues. The Axial Image By: Ricardo Lopes
Portal is a smaller entrance but has an important location in front of the main altar. The portal was created by Image Source:
Nicolau Chanterene in 1517 and has many embellishments and carvings. Inside the monastery complex there
is the magnificent church by Diogo Boitac (and continued by Juan de Castilho)with a very high single
spanned ribbed vaulted ceiling. In the lower choir you can see the tomb of da Gama (1468-1523) and Lu í s Address: Praça do Império, 1400-206 Lisbon,
de Cam õ es (1527-1570). The monastery has a large cloister with wide arches surrounding the Portugal
courtyard. Each archway is adorned with Manueline motives, nautical themes and motifs taken Phone Number: 21 362-00-34
Admission: : €10
from the European, Islamic and Eastern traditions. In the monastery refectory you can see 17 th
century azulejos tiles. Opening Hours: Oct-May 10am-5:30pm,
May-Sept 10am-6:30pm

© 2014-2017 All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.
10:40am Centro Cultural de Belém
Visit Duration: 2 hours
0.5 mi, 10 minutes walking from Jerónimos Monastery

CCB is a cultural center with several attractions in one complex. The building has outstanding modern
architecture and stands next to the historic Belem Tower. CCB is the largest cultural facility in the country
spread over 140,000m ² . there are three main structures interconnected by patio and courtyards.
The site has two auditoriums, conference center and exhibition space. It is used for ballet,
music and drama performance as well as conferences and congresses. There are restaurants,
cafes, parking areas, bars, stores and the Jacques Delors European Information Center within
the complex. The exhibition area alone covers 7,000m ² and includes four galleries; here you can
see a collection of modern art, photography, design and contemporary art. The center hosts the Berardo
Collection of modern art and includes art by Francis bacon, Piet Mondrian, Picasso and many other well
known artists. Image By: Carlos Luis M C da Cruz
Image Source:ém

Address: Praca do Imperio, Belem 1449-003,

Lisbon, Portugal
Phone Number: 21 361 24 00
Opening Hours: Box Office - 1pm-7pm, Museum
Tue-Sun 10am-7pm
Web:, museum -

© 2014-2017 All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.
12:45pm Padrão dos Descobrimentos
Visit Duration: 30 mins
0.3 mi, 6 minutes walking from Centro Cultural de Belém

You can’t help seeing this monument on the edge of the river. It is dedicated to the 15 th to 16 th century Age
of Discovery when Portuguese explorers set out across the oceans to seek the New World. It was from this
point where the ships would set sail to far off destinations like India and the Far East. The monument was
designed by Jos é Â ngelo Cottinelli Telmo and created by Leopoldo de Almeida in 1939 as a temporary
attraction for the Portuguese World Fair of 1940. The monument was dismantled after the exposition but in
1960 was reconstructed, this time as a permanent feature on the water’s edge and under the direction of
architect Ant ó nio Pardal Monteiro and engineer Edgar Cardoso. The rededication of the monument
coincided with the anniversary of the death of Henry the Navigator.

The monument depicts famous explorers and is shaped symbolically like the prow of a ship. It is made from Image By: Alvesgaspar
Image Source:
rose colored stone with statues carved from limestone. For those who want to do more than see the
monument from the ground there is an observation deck, auditorium and exhibition hall within the structure.
On the ground you can see a compass rose and mappa mundi mosaic which was a gift from the South
African government. The 52 meter high slab of stone which rises vertically represent a ship’s sail and on the Address: Avenida Brasília, 1400-038 Lisbon,
“prow “ of the ship are statues of famous Age of Discovery navigators as well as important figures of the time
Phone Number: 21 303-19-50
like kings, explorers, cartographers, scientists and artists. At the front of the line of statues is Henry the
Admission: €4
Navigator. Other figures include Vasco da Gama, Alfonso V, Jo ã o de Barros and Pedro Nunes among
others. Opening Hours: Mar-Sept Mon-Sun 10am-7pm,
Oct-Feb Tue-Sun 10am-6pm

© 2014-2017 All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.
1:30pm Belém Tower
Visit Duration: 1 hour
0.7 mi, 14 minutes walking from Padrão dos Descobrimentos

This impressive defense tower (officially called – Torre de Sao Vicente) was constructed on a rock outcrop in
the Tagus River but over the years the water levels have changed and it is now on the bank of the river so
visitors can walk right up to it across a small bridge. The tower was completed in 1520 during the reign of
Manuel I as one of a series of defense towers built to protect the harbor. Sailors and explorers would see the
tower as they approached the harbor and it became an iconic symbol of home. The tower is a UNESCO site.

The exterior is definitely more interesting than the interior so if you only have a short time in Lisbon it is worth
seeing from the outside. It is possible to make out two distinct architectural styles in the building’s structure. It
has North African Moorish watchtowers, Gothic features, stands 30 meters high and has four levels. It was
constructed using off-white local limestone and is divided into the lower bastion and the tower. There is an Image By: Alvesgaspar
Image Source:ém_Tower
interesting carving of a rhinoceros which must have been a rare sight in Europe at the time. There are shield
shaped battlements and Manueline stone detail on the façade including nautical motifs, twisted ropes and
crosses. Inside the lower level was used as a prison and the middle floor was used to store ammunition and Address: Avenida Brasília BP, 1400-038 Lisbon,
armor. On the top floor you can see the tower’s best decoration. Inside you can see the rib vaulted ceilings. Portugal
Phone Number: 21 362-00-34
Admission: €6
Opening Hours: Oct-May Tue-Sun
10am-5:30pm, May-Sept Tue-Sun 10am-6:30pm

© 2014-2017 All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.
3:00pm Aquário Vasco da Gama
Visit Duration: 2 hours
1.5 mi, 29 minutes walking from Belém Tower

The Vasco da Gama Aquarium holds marine life from around the world, from a number of ecosystems. In all
there are about 4,000 creatures. In addition to the sea animals there is a collection of objects related to
marine research. The marine animals are kept in huge tanks and the top attraction is the sea-turtle tank and
the South African fur seal tank. The aquarium is best known for the diversity of the marine life which includes
marine invertebrates and fresh and salt water fauna.

The museum part of the site consists mainly of objects and materials brought back to Portugal by King Carlos
I who was an enthusiastic oceanographer and naturalist. Among the Dom Carlos I Oceanographic Collection
displays are the king’s laboratory equipment and specimens of marine flora and fauna. The aquarium has a
pleasant garden with a lake where kids can feed the fish. Image By: Vitor Oliveira
Image Source:

Address: Rua Direita do Dafundo, 1495-718 Cruz

Quebrada-Dafundo, Portugal
Phone Number: 351 211 938 472
Admission: Adult €4.75, Child €2.40
Opening Hours: Mon-Sun 10am-6pm

© 2014-2017 All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.
Day 3
9:00am Miradouro da Senhora
do Monte
A beautiful look-out point from the highest hill in the Graca

9:40am Igreja da São Vicente

de Fora
A beautiful church, cloisters with painted tiles, sacristy and
royal Parthenon

10:45am Panteão Nacional

17th century church, remarkable architecture, huge dome
and burial place of kings

1:20pm Fado Museum

A museum dedicated to the traditional Portuguese fado

2:25pm Church of Saint Antony

A beautiful church with exquisite gilt woodwork, painted
ceiling and statues

3:10pm Sé de Lisboa
Lisbon's oldest church with beautiful cloisters and art work

© 2014-2017 All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.
9:00am Miradouro da Senhora do Monte
Visit Duration: 30 mins

The Lady of the Mount Observation Point is one of Lisbon’s least visited yet best observation points or
miradouro . It is at the highest point in the city on Mount San Gens (Monte de S ã o Gens). Situated in the
Graca neighborhood overlooking the city the lookout point is in front of the Nossa Senhora do Monte Chapel.
The chapel is known to attract pregnant women coming to get a blessing for protection in childbirth. It was
also on this hill that Alfonso I camped before attacking the city in the 12 th century. A terrace faces the city
and there is an open-air café which stays open until late in the summer. There are pleasant gardens and the
shade of pine trees as well as a famous statue in front of the chapel of the Virgin Mary.

The views from the terrace are 250 ° across the city. From here you can look out over the city and see S ã o
Jorge’s Castle on the opposite hill, Carmo Convent, Tagus River, the Mouraria neighborhood and Monsanto.
There is a tiled illustration of the view of the city indicating the various points of interest. The Miradouro Image By: Rocha
Senhora do Monte is right next to another observation point, Miradouro da Graca. It is possible to visit both on Image Source:
the same excursion.

Address: Rua da Senhora do Monte 50, Graca,

Lisbon (in front of Chapel of Our Lady of Mount)
Phone Number: 21 031 2700
Opening Hours:

© 2014-2017 All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.
9:40am Igreja da São Vicente de Fora / Church of São Vicente of Fora
Visit Duration: 1 hour
0.5 mi, 11 minutes walking from Miradouro da Senhora do Monte

The name of this monastery and church means Monastery of Saint Vincent Outside the Walls as it was
originally constructed in 1147 outside the ancient walls of Lisbon. The structure we see today was built in the
17th century and construction continued until 1704. In 1755 the entire church dome collapsed from an
earthquake and had to be rebuilt. The original church was in the Romanesque style but today’s church is one
of the finest examples of mannerist architecture in Portugal as well as a mix of other style. The church is
named in honor of Lisbon’s patron saint. The monastery complex is the site of the House of Braganza Royal
Parthenon which was created in the former monastery refectory. The Braganza family were the last royal
rulers of Portugal; they retained power until 1910. All of the Braganza monarchs are buried here except for
Maria I and Pedro IV. Take a look at the life-size statue of a woman morning over one of the tombs.
Image By: Alegna13
Image Source:
In addition to the Royal Parthenon monastery complex visitors should not miss the exquisite Sacristy which is
famed for its multi-colored marble decoration. In the monastery’s upstairs rooms there are 18 th century
azulejo painted tile panels featuring the tales of La Fontaine.
Address: Largo de Sao Vicente, Lisbon, Portugal
The church has an Italian Renaissance façade with towers on either side. Inside there is a barrel vaulted Phone Number: 21 887 64 70 or 21 882 44 00
ceiling and a dome at the point where the cross layout meets. In the church you can see medieval cisterns, a Admission:
unique 18 th century statue of Jesus carved from ivory and made in India. Above the altar is a beautiful
Opening Hours: Mon-Sat 9am-6pm, Sun
Baroque canopy flanked by life-size wooden sculptures by Joaquim Machado de Castro. The church cloisters
are covered in the traditional Portuguese blue hand-painted ceramic tiles (azulejo). The tile painting depicts a
battle between the Portuguese and the Moors. It is possible to go up to the church roof for brilliant views. Web:

© 2014-2017 All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.
10:45am Panteão Nacional
Visit Duration: 2 hours, 30 mins
0.2 mi, 4 minutes walking from Igreja da São Vicente de Fora

This beautiful church has been used for many years as the burial place for Portugal’s royals and outstanding
cultural figures. Among the tombs here there are Portuguese presidents, writer Almeida Garrett and the iconic
Fado singer Amalia Rodrigues. It is located in the Alfama district and stands out on the skyline with a large
white dome. The Parthenon stands on the site of an earlier 16 th century church which was desecrated in
1630. At the time a Jew was blamed for the act and executed. Later he was exonerated and legend tells of
his ghost cursing the rebuilding of a church on this spot. Construction of the current structure began in 1681
under the direction of stonemason Jo ã o Antunes. After the architect’s death construction grinded to
a halt only to be continued in the 1900s. In 1916 it became the National Parthenon and the
official burial place for dignitaries; it was completed in 1966. There are cenotaphs to famous
figures including Henry the Navigator, Afonso de Albuquerque and Vasco da Gama. Image By: VanGore
Image Source:
Antunes’ plan was revolutionary for the time with a Greek cross floor plan and a square tower in each corner.
The facades are undulated similar to the work of architect Borromini. Visitors enter through a baroque
entrance hall and in the center of the church is the star feature, a high dome. The central crossing and naves Address: Campo Santa Clara 200C, 1100-471
Lisbon, Portugal
are curved creating a natural harmony in the space. On the floor and walls you can see slabs of polychrome
Phone Number: 21 885-48-20
marble. The church holds an 18 th century baroque organ which once stood in Se Cathedral. It is possible to
Admission: €4
go to the top of the dome to an observation level for views across the city.
Opening Hours: May-Sept Tue-Sun 10am-6pm,
Oct-April 10am-5pm

© 2014-2017 All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.
1:20pm Fado Museum
Visit Duration: 1 hour
0.3 mi, 6 minutes walking from Panteão Nacional

Fado is the traditional Portuguese melancholic style of folksongs which were born in Lisbon’s Alfama district
during the 18 th century. The Fado Museum traces the history of this unique art and displays artifacts about
the fado tradition. The museum is located in the Alfama district where the art of fado originated. The museum
building is a former water pump station constructed in 1868 and now a national monument. Among the
displays there are discs, films, sheet music, posters, recordings, photographs, musical instruments, props, a
recreated guitar workshop and a hall of fame. There are paintings by well known Portuguese artists depicting
fado singers and musicians. In addition to the exhibitions there is an auditorium, rehearsal rooms for fado
singers, a music school, a documentation center, café and a museum shop. Visitors can use an audio guide
to help them navigate the displays.
Image By: 69joehawkins
Image Source:

Address: Largo do Chafariz de Dentro, 1, Lisbon,

Phone Number: 21 882-3470
Admission: €5
Opening Hours: Tue-Sun 10am-6:00pm

© 2014-2017 All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.
2:25pm Church of Saint Antony / Church of Saint Antony
Visit Duration: 45 mins
0.4 mi, 7 minutes walking from Fado Museum

The Saint Antonio Church was originally constructed in 1707 on the site said to be where Saint Anthony was
born in 1195. Later a small chapel was built on the site and then in 1730 it was rebuilt under King John V.
Following damage from the 1755 earthquake it was reconstructed in 1769 in a baroque-Rococo style
designed by Mateus Vicente de Oliveira. The church has the most magnificent baroque gilded woodwork, a
high ceiling and beautiful side chapels. There is a crypt which marks the spot where the saint was born. The
walls feature 18 th century blue and white azulejo hand-painted ceramic tile panels. The church has a wooden
vaulted ceiling which has been painted to look like a barrel-vaulted ceiling. It is covered in brightly colored
intricate paintings.

The church altar holds a statue of Saint Antony holding baby Jesus and on either side of him stand angels Image By: Joao Carvalho
Image Source:
carrying torches. There is also a rare statue of Saint El ó i, the patron saint of goldsmiths. The church
gained prestigious when it was visited by Pope John Paul II in 1982. The Pope inaugurated a
statue of St. Antonio by Soares Branco. The statue stands in the courtyard in front of the
Address: R. Pedras Negras 1, 1100-401, Lisbon,
church. Each year on June 13 th a procession walks from the church, passed the Lisbon
Cathedral and through Alfama and it is traditional on this day to give bread to the elderly women Phone Number: 21 886 9145
of the community. Admission: €1.20
Opening Hours: Mon-Fri 8am-7pm, Sat-Sun

© 2014-2017 All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.
3:10pm Sé de Lisboa
Visit Duration: 45 mins
0.1 mi, 2 minutes walking from Church of Saint Antony

The Lisbon Cathedral is also called Igreja de Santa Maria Major or Patriarchal Cathedral of Saint Mary Major
and this is the city’s oldest church. Construction of the church was begun in 1147 when the Portuguese, led
by King Afonso Henriques took the city from the Moors. The Portuguese were aided in their battle by
European Crusaders and the king made one of the British Crusaders, Gilbert of Hastings, the first bishop of
the cathedral. Over the years the structure was added to and so there are several architectural styles visible.
There is a Gothic cloister added in the 13 th century and a royal pantheon which was destroyed in the 1755
earthquake. Following the earthquake extensive renovations took place and the main chapel was given
neo-classical and Rococo features. In the Chapel of Bartomoleu Joanes there is a crib created by 18 th
century sculpture Machado de Castro. Recently during renovations of the Cloister courtyard the ruins of
Image By: RoI1000
Roman, Moor and Medieval structures were excavated. Image Source:é_de_Lisboa
From the outside the church resembles a Romanesque castle with twin bell towers, crenellations on the top of
the walls and a rose window above the central portal. Inside the architecture is predominantly Gothic; there is
Address: Largo da Se, 1100-585 Lisbon, Portugal
a high barrel vaulted ceiling with an upper, arched gallery. There are 14th century tombs and there is a 17 th
Phone Number: 21 886-67-52
century baroque-style sacristy which holds the relics of Saint Vincent, the city’s patron saint.
Admission: :
Opening Hours: Mon-Sun 9am-7pm

© 2014-2017 All rights reserved. No part of this site may be reproduced without our written permission.