This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS 2010‐2011 Classified Furlough Days
1. How many furlough days will classified employees take in the 2010-11 year? • Different bargaining units have agreed to take certain number of furlough days for 20102011. Please refer to the Implementation Memo issued by the Chief of Staff and the Chief Operating Officer dated August 23, 2010. 2. How and when will furlough days be taken? •
Employees will take furlough days as detailed in the Implementation Memo from the Chief of Staff and Chief Operating Officer.
3. Will the District tell me which days my employees should take? • The site administrator is responsible for ensuring that all required furlough days are taken for the 2010/2011 school year. Some furlough days are scheduled to coincide with school furlough days and others will be scheduled on different days to meet the operational needs of various departments.
4. Can furlough be reported on off-track/unassigned days? • Furlough may be entered on scheduled on-track days or school calendar time in which classified employees assigned to non-A basis positions have forced vacation days, such as winter or spring break.
5. Can furlough days be scheduled on holidays? • No. Furlough can NOT be scheduled on legal holiday.
6. Can I hire a substitute to cover for an employee on a furlough day? • No. Hiring substitutes will prevent the District from obtaining savings.
7. How do I report a furlough day? • Enter the attendance code FH when reporting time.
8. How should I report an employee whose assigned daily working hours each day are not equal to the number of hours the employee is working? • • For full time employees, report furlough hours based on the assignment hours per day. Part-time employees are not exempt from taking furloughs. Enter the Daily Assigned Hours on the time record.
The variant used to identify FH time only is “/PullFurlough” and the report layout is “/Furlough”. What if an employee is required to work on a scheduled/mandatory furlough day? • If employees work. 10. If the employee is on an unpaid leave for the entire month. report each assignment individually. time reporters should run this report at the end of each month as an audit report. Employees will continue to earn and accrue at the same factor and rate. • 15. worker’s compensation. 14. Can an employee take a half-day furlough in combination with regular time? • No. extended jury duty. should furlough be entered on just one assignment for 6 hours? • No. Furlough will be treated like paid absences when it comes to quota accrual 16. Will employees be paid for a holiday if they choose to take the furlough day immediately preceding or following a holiday? September. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS 2010‐2011 Classified Furlough Days 9. 11. Display Working Time. What should be done when a furlough day is already scheduled and the employee calls in ill or personal necessity or FMLA protected leave for that day? • Furlough must still be reported for an entire day. All time reporters and time approvers have access to Transaction Code = ZCATS_DA. Will the site be informed if all employees at the location have not taken the required furlough days? Site supervisors are responsible for monitoring furlough days for their employees.). can FH be entered on only one? For example. Payroll Services Branch has sent a job aid to all time keepers and time approvers. report FH for 3 hours on one assignment and FH for 3 hours on the additional assignment. How should an employee on leave be reported? • If the employee is on a paid leave (illness. they must be paid for that day of work. 12. Ideally. 2010 Page 2 . 13. Will furlough time negatively impact vacation and illness benefits? • No. report a furlough day on the first day of the month. etc. You must reschedule another furlough day. an employee has two 3-hour day assignments. What if an employee has multiple assignments. furlough time should not be reported for the month. The employee must take the entire work day as furlough.
September. A more flexible scheduling of furlough days is permitted. where possible. What can I do? The collective bargaining agreements and Personnel Commission rules have a process in place if an employee has been prevented or prohibited from taking vacation previously approved. Will employees be allowed to take consecutive furlough days? • Please refer to the Implementation Memo from the Chief of Staff and Chief Operating Officer. 2010 Page 3 . Other subs that are not in Units B and C are not represented and as such will not be required to take the furlough days. Food Services have assigned furlough days to cafeteria workers. I have several positions at my site that are funded by a booster club or a grant. • • 18. 19. employees will be paid for the holiday if furlough days are scheduled before and/or after a holiday. Food Service Managers and Area Food Service Supervisors are responsible for ensuring that all employees comply with all District and Division implementation policies. 20. 17. Will there be adjustments made to the vacation cap because of the four furlough days? • No. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS 2010‐2011 Classified Furlough Days Yes. 22. Furlough can be scheduled on both sides of the holiday and the holiday hours will be paid. there are no adjustments to the cap allotment. The district will provide the support required to schools in a normal business manner. • Yes. 21. 2011. Does that mean that the department has authority over the site administrator in making assignments? • The area supervisor must approve furlough day schedules. I’m unable to take my vacation days that I’ve accrued because of the required furlough days. Do they need to take furlough days? It doesn’t impact the General Fund. Short term subs are not required to take the furlough days because they do not work every day of the month. If you have not used vacation hours beyond your cap allocation. Does a substitute have to take furlough? • Employees belonging to Units B and C and assigned as a “long-term” substitute for a month at a time or more in one assignment must take the furlough days. your excess vacation hours will be removed effective July 1. Please see the appropriate collective bargaining agreement and/or the Personnel Commission rules for additional information.
The 3rd and 4th positions (if not an XX) represent the detail within a bargaining unit. If you are not a time keeper. overtime should not be allowed in the week in which a furlough day is taken. How do I know which bargaining unit employees are assigned? • The Personnel Area is a 4-character code assigned to an employee assignment. What form do employees complete to submit the furlough day? • Employees should complete Certification and/or Request of Absence for Non-Illness form. you probably won’t qualify for benefits. 3= Unclassified. 2UTE = Teachers Early Ed. 27. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS 2010‐2011 Classified Furlough Days 23. If I file for unemployment for the furlough day. a one day furlough still means that you are working 80% of your scheduled work week. Can I work overtime in the week in which I have a furlough day? • No. What about a situation when an employee is in a leave to higher position? • The employee must take furlough based on his/her underlying regular assignment. Check item J and write “Furlough”. It has four attributes as seen below. 2UTA = Teachers Adult 24. The bargaining unit is associated with the salary schedule for the job classification. or PA20. 25.g. e. The 2nd position represents the Bargaining Unit. 29.Display HR Master Data The 1st position represents the service: 1= Classified.g. 28. 26. e. 1CXX (Unit C). 1DXX (Unit D). The Personnel Area can be found on the Employee Roster Report. you can check the Personnel Commission website on the salary schedule. 9=Non-Employee. CAT2. 1BXX (Unit B). Supervisors should ensure that the employee is not needed for overtime work. 2010 Page 4 . Will furlough days impact my retirement? • Classified PERS members will receive a full year of service credit only if they complete 1720 hours of service. 2= Certificated. As such. September. will I receive unemployment benefits? • The District cannot stop the employee from filing. However.
37. Schools with multiple health care assistants should stagger furloughs days to reduce the impact on the school. Are the numbers of furlough days the same for everyone regardless of their basis? • No. 4/40 or 9/80) revert to 8 hour days during the week in which a furlough day is taken? • Yes. 31. Can I input a furlough day on my time reporting card this month and take the furlough day later? September. Who assigns furlough days for my Substitute Building and Grounds Worker? • • • If an employee is assigned as a “long-term” substitute for a month or more at a time. The only differences in the number of days taken will be due to the different bargaining unit agreements. Short-term subs are not required to take furlough days. 2010 Page 5 . Locations cannot get a sub for days when a B&G Worker is on furlough. Will the vacation CAP policy still be in place for the 2010-2011 school year? • Yes. 38. 35. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS 2010‐2011 Classified Furlough Days 30. What are the guidelines for Health Care Assistants taking their furlough days? • The scheduling of furlough days for health care assistants should be coordinated by the school administrator in consultation with the school nurse and supervisor of assistants (as applicable) to maintain student safety. early childhood centers will be open and some staff will be needed for support. However. Can I get a sub custodian from the M&O Area sub pool when my Buildings and Grounds Worker is furloughed? • No. employees should revert back to 8 hour days that follow a 4/40 or 9/80 schedule to ensure that the unpaid time reported as FH will be the normal assignment hours. 36. 33. they must take the appropriate number of furlough days. Should employees that follow a special schedule (ex. 32. Is the week of Thanksgiving a shutdown week? • All single-track and multi-track schools will be shut during the week of Thanksgiving. Can I take my furlough days one day per month? • Answer will be dependent upon the Implementation Memo. The site administrator shall determine which days within the month each employee will take furlough. 34.
they must take the alternative furlough day in the month of March 2011. 2010 and will need to be furloughed for all three days. 39. signing. male Special Education Assistant. male Instructional Aide. Braille Instructional Aide for the Deaf. can my time be annualized? • Unfortunately. male Special Needs Attendant. I’m a Unit B/C employee and would like to take a vacation day instead of the 3 furlough day in November. 42. 2010 as a vacation day instead of a furlough day. What are Z days? • Z days or Z basis is time worked outside of your basis that would otherwise be unassigned. signing Special Education Trainee. male Instructional Aide for the Deaf. will it happen automatically? • You should work with your supervisor to determine when scheduling of the Z days will be appropriate for the department/division. we are unable to do this. hearing impaired. oral September. how does that work? • The Unit B and C agreement allow for employees who have sufficient. female Sign Language Interpreter 1 Special Education Trainee. accrued vacation to take November 22. 4459 4461 4463 4535 4562 4566 4569 4573 4578 4700 4701 4706 4937 4946 4954 4959 4969 Special Needs Attendant Special Needs Attendant. 41. hearing impaired Health Care Assistant Health Care Assistant. My unit negotiated additional Z days for me. If an employee makes this election. employees in the classes listed below will not be able to take an alternative furlough day with respect to November 22. I’m taking 3 furlough days in the month of November. 43. restricted Special Education Assistant. 2010 Page 6 . male Deaf and Hard of Hearing Instructional Aide (deaf employee) reasonable accommodation aide Sign Language Interpreter 2 Oral transliterator Instructional Aide for the Deaf. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS 2010‐2011 Classified Furlough Days • No. 40. Are there any classes exempt from the above mentioned vacation in lieu of furlough plan? • Because of the critical services they provide to students.