Screen Reader Compatibility Information

Due to the method this document is displayed on the page, screen readers may not read the content correctly. For a better experience, please download the original document and view it in the native application on your computer.
 
Dantzic
Florida sex sting snags local man
Originally published July 26, 2006
By
 
Kate LeckieNews-Post Staff 
FREDERICK -- A 33-year-old Frederick man caught in a FloridaInternet sex sting is in the Frederick County Adult Detention Centerawaiting extradition.David Myer Dantzic II, a manager at the Comus Inn, was arrestedMonday afternoon during a search of his residence by the FrederickPolice Department, Lt. Tom Chase, commander of the agency'scriminal investigations division, said Tuesday.Mr. Dantzic's arrest on a warrant charging him as a fugitive fromFlorida stems from an online conversation soliciting lewd behaviorfrom a 14-year-old girl, Assistant State's Attorney Anthony M.Cecala said during a bail hearing Tuesday in Frederick CountyDistrict Court.But the girl was no girl; she turned out to be a detective insoutheastern Florida involved in an undercover operation toapprehend Internet predators, Mr. Cecala said.A phone call after the online communication confirmed the lewdsolicitation, he said.Deputy State's Attorney Charlie Smith said Mr. Dantzic arranged tomail the teenage girl a webcam to film herself performing sexualacts.Mr. Smith plans to file additional charges against Mr. Dantzic forsolicitation over the Internet for purposes of child pornography, afelony punishable by as much as 10 years in prison and a $25,000fine.The apprehension of Mr. Dantzic resulted from an investigationinitiated by the St. Lucie County, Fla., Sheriff's Office.After identifying Mr. Dantzic as a Frederick resident, authorities inFlorida last week contacted Frederick police about assisting withthe case.Cpl. Mathew Burns, a member of Frederick County's InternetCrimes Against Children Task Force, led the search of Mr. Dantzic'shouse in the 600 block of Grant Place and arrested him on thefugitive warrant, Lt. Chase said.Lt. Chase said items were seized from Mr. Dantzic's house, but hedeclined to say what was removed.At Tuesday's bail hearing, Mr. Dantzic told Judge Janice Rodnick Ambrose he would not waive extradition toFlorida. Mr. Dantzic said he has hired defense attorney Christopher M. Rolle to represent him.Mr. Cecala said that although Mr. Dantzic's criminal record is "relatively minor," a November 1994 conviction isdisturbing -- furnishing alcohol to a minor in Frederick.Mr. Dantzic pleaded guilty and was fined $285, according to court records.Judge Ambrose ordered Mr. Dantzic be held without bail until Florida authorities arrive to take him into custody.Mark Weinberg, public information officer for St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office, said the next step is for theattorney general's offices in Florida and Maryland to complete documents allowing Mr. Dantzic to be extradited."That usually takes a bit longer than a few days," Mr. Weinberg said. Citing the ongoing investigation, hedeclined to release further details.Mr. Smith said the allegations involved in this case are indicative of just what today's parents are up against intrying to keep their children safe.
The Frederick News-Post Online - Frederick County Mary...http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/storyTools/pr...1 of 210/28/2010 6:36 AM
Sign up to vote on this title
UsefulNot useful