Date: 28 October 2010
Time: 4:00PM IST
28/10 Sensex Nifty CNX 500 19941 5988 4962 1D (%) 1M (%) 1Y (%) -0.3 -0.4 -0.5 -0.8 -0.7 0.0 +22.5 +24.1 +25.7 P/E 23.8
Market Snapshot •
• Opened flat and remained subdued on account of derivatives expiry today and weak global cues; slipped below psychological marks in early trade. • Recouped as select Asian markets turned positive; Traded in a narrow range till noon and fell thereafter. • Climbed up again on the back of gains in European stocks and higher Asian stocks. Latest data showing softening of food inflation also underpinned sentiment.
Losers Realty CD Power (%) -1.7 -1.5 -1.1
BSE Sectoral Indices
Gainers Auto (%) +0.3
• Amid volatility, indices touched day’s highs. Sensex hit 20185, Nifty hit 6071. • Moved in a range in afternoon and slumped to day’s lows in late trade. Sensex hit 19869, Nifty hit 5968. • Pared some losses and ended lower. Sensex ended at 19941, down 64 points; Nifty ended at 5988, down 25 points.
Top Gainers / Losers
Gainers Bharti Airtel Hero Honda HDFC (%) 330.5 692.3 Losers +2.6 JP Assoc +1.9 NTPC (%) 122.4 -2.2 355.2 -2.2 195.2 -1.8
1901.3 +2.2 DLF
• Among sectoral indices, Auto was the only gainer. Realty, CD and Power were the major losers. Most auto stocks edged higher in anticipation of robust earnings and expectations of strong sales in the ongoing festive season. • Market breadth: Negative. Declines were 1.5 times Advances.
28/10 USD/INR EUR/USD USD/YEN 44.52 1.38 81.30 1D (%) 0.0 0.0 -0.4 1M (%) -1.3 +2.6 -3.4 1Y (%) -5.8 -6.5 -10.7
• Bata India rose 2.5% to end at Rs 345.9 after it recorded a 57.7% rise in net profit for September quarter at Rs 207.2mn as against Rs 131.4mn year ago. The company's net sales in quarter under review grew 12.0% to Rs 2,917.8mn as against Rs 2,604.2mn year ago. • Bank of Baroda rose 2.1% to end at Rs 1,010.8 after it posted a higher net profit of Rs 10,193.0bn for September quarter as against Rs 6,341.8mn year ago. Total Income rose to Rs 58,399.6mn from Rs 47,307.5mn year ago.
28/10 CBLO CALL REPO 6.08 6.60 6.00 1D 6.04 6.64 6.00 1M 6.00 6.26 6.00 1Y 2.99 3.25 4.75
On The Home Ground
• India's annual food inflation eased to 13.75% in week to 16 October as prices of vegetable fell. It was 15.53% in previous week. Fuel price index rose 11.25%, slightly more than the annual rise of 11.14% week ago. Primary articles price index was up 16.62%, compared with an annual rise of 18.05% week ago. • Hindustan Copper's net profit zoomed to Rs 562.1mn for September quarter from Rs 151mn in year ago quarter. Total Income increased to Rs 3,387.6mn in quarter under review from Rs 2,600.6mn year ago. • Hindustan Petroleum Corp Ltd (HPCL) plans to add a new crude distillation unit (CDU) at its Vizag refinery which would raise overall capacity to nearly 300,000 barrels per day (bpd). The project, coupled with two other Greenfield refineries, is expected to boost HPCL's refining capacity to 990,000bpd.
Commodity Brent Crude Oil ($/bbl) Gold (oz/$) Copper ($/tonnes)*
*As on 27/10
28/10 1D (%) 1M (%) 1Y (%) 83.4 1328.0 8344.0 +0.2 +0.2 -1.5 +6.0 +1.4 +5.2 +8.1 +29.2 +26.5
From Around The Globe
• Japan’s retail sales rose less than expected last month, adding to concern consumers won’t be able to drive growth in place of slowing demand abroad. Sales increased 1.2% in September from a year ago, the slowest pace this year. • Major Asian markets ended mixed. Nikkei ended at 9366, down 0.2%. Hang Seng ended at 23211, up 0.2%. Chinese markets ended mixed. • European equities are trading positive. • Dow Jones Futures is currently at 11089, up 17 points.
• German Unemployment Change (October 2010) • Euro-Zone Consumer Confidence (October Final)
Sources: Economics Times, Business Standard, Bloomberg website, BSE, NSE, RBI, CCIL, LME, kitco.com
Standard Chartered Wealth Managers is a division of Standard Chartered-STCI Capital Markets Limited st 1 Floor, HDIL Tower, Anant Kanekar Marg, Bandra (East), Mumbai-400051, India
You are advised to exercise your own independent judgment (with the advice of your professional advisers as necessary) with respect to the risks and consequences of any matter contained herein. CMT Jidnyasa Kulkarni Priya Iyer Vice President & Head Equity Strategist Senior Derivative Strategist Derivative Strategist Technical Strategist Senior Technical Strategist Editor Production Executive
Sirshendu. nor does it constitute any prediction of likely future movements in rates or prices or any representation that any such future movements will not exceed those shown in any illustration. projections and estimates are subject to change without notice. Bandra (East). and the information in it is believed to be reliable.com Errol.com Jidnyasa. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future performance.com
THIS DOCUMENT HAS BEEN PRODUCED FOR THE PURPOSE OF MARKETING AND IS NOT AN INDEPENDENT RESEARCH REPORT
This document and/or trading calls are issued by Consumer Equity Strategy Team of Standard Chartered Wealth Managers (“SCWM”).kutty@standardcharteredcapitalmarkets. Any investments discussed may not be suitable for all investors.com Prashant. a division of Standard Chartered-STCI Capital Markets Limited.com Ashish. Mumbai-400051. recommendation or solicitation to any person to enter into any transaction or adopt any hedging. This communication is intended for the recipient only and no further distribution of this communication or any part thereof is permitted. While all reasonable care has been taken in preparing this document and/or the trading calls. The data. Opinions. the value. trading or investment strategy.com Shamshad. Anant Kanekar Marg. This document is not independent of Standard Chartered’s own trading strategies or positions. India
.basu@sc. a registered broker regulated by the Securities and Exchange Board of India. This document and/or the trading calls are for information purposes only.com Priya. Any opinions or views of third parties expressed in this material are those of the third parties identified.Consumer Equity Strategy Team
Sirshendu Basu Prashant Kutty Errol Crasto Ashish Pai Shamshad Gunturi Soumen Das. This is not research material and it does not represent the views of the Standard Chartered Group. particularly those of the Global Research function.com Soumen.pai@standardcharteredcapitalmarkets. financial situation or the particular needs of any particular person. and not of SCWM. that Standard Chartered has a material interest in one or more of the financial instruments mentioned herein. We expressly disclaim any liability and responsibility for any losses arising from any uses to which this communications is put and for any errors or omissions in this communications.gunturi@standardcharteredcapitalmarkets. The trading calls and/or contents of this document are not made with regard to the specific investment objectives. and you should assume. Therefore.iyer@standardcharteredcapitalmarkets. HDIL Tower. opinions and other information that form the basis of this document and/or the trading calls may be provided by third parties for SCWM. it is possible.crasto@standardcharteredcapitalmarkets. it has not been independently verified by SCWM. It does not constitute any offer. price or income from investments may fall as well as firstname.lastname@example.org@standardcharteredcapitalmarkets.
Standard Chartered Wealth Managers is a division of Standard Chartered-STCI Capital Markets Limited st 1 Floor.