You are on page 1of 1

C 137 E/118 Official Journal of the European Union EN 12.6.


Most of the British trunks roads are already represented in accident rate maps. Similarly, maps exist for
trunk roads of the Netherlands and for a few roads in Sweden. To date, EuroRAP has not received finance
from the Union, but EuroRAP plans to develop further their approach and transfer it to three more
countries in cooperation with local automobile clubs during the next months. For this work, a grant
application has been submitted to the Commission. At this point in time, no concrete plans exist to extend
it to Belgium, but in the medium term this could be feasible.

To reduce the number of fatalities by 2010 by half, the Commission has proposed a set of measures in its
White Paper on ‘European transport policy for 2010 (1)’, such as best practice of a more harmonised road
engineering, black spot management and road safety audits.

(1) COM(2001) 370 final.

(2003/C 137 E/134) WRITTEN QUESTION E-2778/02

by Giovanni Pittella (PSE) to the Commission

(3 October 2002)

Subject: European identity card

Article 17 of the EC Treaty confers citizenship of the Union on every citizen of a Member State. In the
absence of a European identity card Community legislation stipulates that only two documents can be used
to prove the nationality of a European citizen in the event of a check inside the Community  a national
identity card or passport.

In this context, does the Commission not consider that the relevant documents should also include the
residence permit?

Does it not consider that a residence permit, precisely because it is issued by the public authorities of the
place of residence on the basis of data taken from the national identity card or passport, is as valid and
official as identity papers?

Does the Commission not consider that not recognising the residence permit, issued by virtue of a
European legislative act, as valid evidence of identity would mean undermining the concept of European
citizenship enshrined in the EC Treaty?

Answer given by Mr Vitorino on behalf of the Commission

(18 October 2002)

The Commission would refer the Honourable Member to its answer to written E-2300/02 by
Mr Bodrato (1).

(1) OJ C 110 E, 8.5.2003, p. 40.

(2003/C 137 E/135) WRITTEN QUESTION E-2782/02

by Avril Doyle (PPE-DE) to the Commission

(3 October 2002)

Subject: Fluoride in public water supply

Is it permissible for a minister for health in any of the EU Member States to forcibly medicate any part of a
population with random doses of a medicinally unproven and unlicensed substance, i.e. fluosilic acid?