You are on page 1of 3

1D CENTRAL Color/Final

ACCENT
PB TRAVEL FEATURES: Bargains
aplenty born from economic

SUNDAY,
D slowdown, 8D, 9D
MARTIN COUNTY
29
32
35 30
33 Jupiter
JANUARY 4, 2009 HOROSCOPES: 2D
Indiantown Rd. 31 Inlet

& ARTS
PalmBeachPost.com MOVIE LISTINGS: 5D 34
Jupiter
Sunday Pop! returns
next week. Donald Ross Rd. 28
Hood Rd.
Juno
52 Beach
PGA Blvd.
Be
eli
ne
Hw Alt.

TAKE
A1A
y.
Northlake Blvd.

A MAGICAL
36
95

Blue Heron Blvd.

45th St.
46

Military Trail
10
9 43 Palm
47 Beach
45 44
3 49
2 11
5 48
Okeechobee Blvd. 16 15 1 12 50
8 51

Can you find these historic markers?

CongressAve.
Belvedere Rd. 7 6 14 4
West 13
Southern Blvd. Palm
Beach 1
Forest Hill Blvd.
Palm Beach County turns 100 this year. 10thAve. North
Lake Worth Rd. 37 38 Lake
(Until 1909, what is now Palm 39 Worth
Beach County was part of Dade
County. Broward County didn’t
Lantana Rd. 40 41
come along until 1915.) 441 Ocean Ave.

There’s no time like a big Hypoluxo Rd.

Lawrence Rd.
birthday to learn more about 7
where you live. 42
MEGHAN McCARTHY/Staff Photographer

This hotel, built by Henry M. See if you can find these Boynton

Congress Ave.
Flagler, was opened Feb. MEGHAN McCARTHY/Staff Photographer
historical markers. Boynton Beach Blvd. Beach
11, 1894. Ocean Ave.
The Duck’s Nest was built in 1891 as
the home of Henry Maddock. Woolbright Rd. 21
Jog Rd.

27
Compiled by Richard A. Marconi | Historical Society of Palm Beach County 95
8th St.

WEST PALM BEACH Clematis Street Commercial


Historic District
El Cid neighborhood
Atlantic Ave.
23 25 26 Delray
At the intersection of Pershing and 24 Beach
Central Schools and Palm Marker in front of 521 Clematis Flagler Drive
Beach High School St., west of Dixie Highway A1A
Excerpt of inscription: In 1876, Linton Blvd.
Marker is in the arch in front of the Excerpt of inscription: For over 100 Benjamin Lanehart homesteaded
Dreyfoos School of the Arts at Sapo- years, Clematis Street (named land that is now the north end of
dilla Street and Hibiscus Avenue, after the Clematis flower) has El Cid. Lanehart started the first
1

just west of CityPlace. been the primary retail street in commercial pineapple operation
West Palm Beach. It was a shell- Clint Moore Rd.
Excerpt of inscription: In 1886, in the area, but by the turn of the
topped road in 1893, when Henry century, competition and plant
the first settlers on the island Flagler (1830-1913) began to Yamato Rd.
diseases ruined the pineapple
of Palm Beach built a one-room
school, which still stands on
develop West Palm Beach as the
commercial district for his resort
business. The El Cid neighbor- Historic Glades Rd.
Spanish River 18
Blvd.
the island as the oldest school
in southeast Florida. The stu-
community of Palm Beach.
hood was a product of the 1920s
Florida land boom. Pittsburgh markers Palmetto Park Rd.
dents were transported by boat Dade County State Bank socialite John Phipps (1874-1958),
the son of Andrew Carnegie’s
in Palm Camino Real
19
20
Boca
Raton
until the school closed in 1901
and was relocated in West Palm
Building partner in U.S. Steel, assembled Beach 17
Boca
Beach. As the number of stu- Marker and building (now the
Palm Beach High School museum)
these old pineapple fields to
develop the district, beginning
County PALM BEACH COUNTY Raton
dents increased in grades one BROWARD COUNTY Inlet
to twelve, the need for a central are at the corner of Flagler Drive in 1921.
school with a high school was and Fourth Street
established. In 1901, the school Excerpt of inscription: Dade Coun- Flagler Park West Palm Beach Juno Beach
was opened on Dixie Highway ty State Bank, 1893, donated to Marker is at the corner of Clematis
between Clematis and Datura 1 Central Schools and Palm 28 Celestial Railroad
the City of West Palm Beach Street and Flagler Drive Beach High School
streets. Students were transport- through the West Palm Beach Bi- Jupiter
ed to the school by bus, train and Excerpt of inscription: Flagler Park, Clematis Street Commercial
centennial Committee in 1976 by formerly known as City Park, 2
boat. The high school was named Mrs. Crystal Eggert in memory Historic District 29 Dive into History
Palm Beach High School and has been an important public (Ano-1659)
of her late husband Johnny. space in West Palm Beach since 3 Dade County State Bank
the first documented graduating
the founding of the community. Building 30 Fort Jupiter and Jupiter
class was 1907. The schools were Lighthouse
moved to this site in 1908 and 4 El Cid neighborhood 31 Jupiter Inlet Midden 1
became known as “The School Flamingo Park
5 Flagler Park 32 Jupiter Lighthouse
on the Hill.” Marker at Park Place and Dixie
Highway 6 Flamingo Park 33 The Tennessee Volunteers and
Excerpt of inscription: This site 7 Flamingo Park Historic District Militia Camp
was a cemetery for black resi- 8 Grandview Heights Historic 34 U.S. Jupiter Life Saving
dents in 1902 and approximately District Station
100 people were buried here
9 1928 Hurricane Mass Burial 35 World War ll naval housing
by 1913. The city converted the building
cemetery to a public park. Site
10 Old Northwood Historic District Lake Park
Flamingo Park Historic District 11 Old St. Ann’s Church 36 Lake Park Town Hall
Marker at the intersection of Geor- Palm Beach Junior College Lake Worth
gia Avenue and Flamingo Drive. 12
Pioneer Memorial Plaque, 37 First Schoolhouse
Excerpt of inscription: Built on 13
Norton Museum of Art 38 First Town Hall
the highest of all coastal ridges
between downtown West Palm 14 Pioneer Memorial Park 39 Palm Beach Junior College
Beach and Miami, Flamingo 15 Seaboard Air Line Station
tor ical Society Park was platted in 1921 and Lantana
Beach Count y His 16 Stub Canal Turning Basin
to courte sy of Palm became home to many of the 40 Coastal Patrol Base No. 3
Pho GARY CORONADO/Staff Photographer

The Jupiter Lighthouse was most prominent citizens of the Civil Air Patrol (CAP) 1942-
‘The School on the Hill’ opened time. The Alfred Comeau House Boca Raton
in 1908 (the site is now Dreyfoos designed by George G. Meade, 1943
at 701 Flamingo Drive was built 17 Africa U.S.A.
School of the Arts) and housed all later a Federal commander at
in 1924. Comeau was a prominent 41 Owen H. Gassaway Aviation
grades. Gettysburg. Center
businessman who also built one 18 Barefoot Mailman
of the first West Palm Beach 19 Boca Raton Town Hall Manalapan
skyscrapers in 1925. 42 Lofthus (shipwreck)
What’s YOUR local history? 20 Florida East Coast Railway
Depot
Tell us why there’s no place like home Grandview Heights Palm Beach
What’s your favorite memory of growing up in Palm Beach County? Historic District Boynton Beach 43 Duck’s Nest
Favorite food? Favorite store? Favorite pastime? Marker is in the median at Florida 21 Boynton Woman’s Club 44 Episcopal Church of
The Palm Beach Post wants to know. Avenue and Palm Street Bethesda-by-the-Sea
Canal Point
Excerpt of inscription: Platted in 45 First Post Office in Palm
Throughout 2009, The Post will cover longtime the 1910s-1920s as three subdivi- 22 Conners Toll Highway Beach
families and businesses — and all the things, sions for working-class families,
great and small, that bring history to life.
22a Frank Bryant marker 46 Marjorie Merriweather Post
Grandview Heights is one of the (NOT SHOWN ON MAP) Memorial Causeway
Send your memories — please include your earliest attempts at southwestern 23
name, the city you live in and old photos when- expansion of the city. Originally Delray Beach 47 Old Bethesda-by-the-Sea
Episcopal Church
ever possible — to pbhistory@pbpost.com. stretching from Okeechobee
Your stories may be included in a history 24
23 B.F. James and Frances Jane 48 Royal Poinciana Chapel
Boulevard to Park Place, the
book to be published this fall by The Palm property was chosen because of 25 Bright Mini-Park
49 Royal Poinciana Hotel
Beach Post and the Historical Society of Palm its relatively steep topography 24 Delray Wreck Sea Gull Cottage (Palm
Beach County: Palm Beach County at 100: for South Florida. It was con- 50 Beach’s oldest house)
26
25 Florida East Coast Railway
Our History, Our Home. sidered a desirable place to live Station
Palm Beach County — the largest county because it was less than a mile 51 Site of the Palm Beach Pier
east of the Mississippi — also is celebrat- from downtown and had a view 26 Orange Grove House of Palm Beach Gardens
ing its 100th birthday all year with special of the Everglades. Refuge No. 3 1876-1927
Coming this fall: 27
52 Old Dade County Courthouse
Palm Beach County at 100: events. For details See MARKERS, 6D > Gulf Stream
Our History, Our Home go to www.pbcgov.com/100.
27 North Ocean Boulevard

GRAPHIC BY STEVE LOPEZ AND REBECCA VAUGHAN


6D Color/Final

6D THE PALM BEACH POST • SUNDAY, JANUARY 4, 2009

MARKERS from 1D
TAKE
>

Hurricane of 1928 Mass Burial Site


Site and marker are at 25th Street and Tama-
rind Avenue
Excerpt of inscription: On Sept. 16, 1928, a hur-
A MAGICAL
ricane came ashore near the Jupiter Light-
house and traveled west to Lake Okeechobee,
killing 1,800 to 3,000 people when the Lake
Okeechobee dike collapsed. In West Palm
Beach, 60 white victims were placed in a
mass grave in Woodlawn Cemetery and 674
black victims were buried in a mass grave in
the city’s pauper’s burial field at Tamarind
Avenue and 25th Street.

Old Northwood Historic District


Marker is in front of house at 3510 Spruce Ave.
Excerpt of inscription: In 1884, the Rev. Elbridge
Gale retired to the area that became Old
Northwood. He was the first to build a cabin
Can you find these
historic markers?
on the west side of Lake Worth. Gale grew
A January 1969 photo shows the Seaboard Coastline
mango trees and one of his trees became
Railroad depot on Tamarind Avenue, West Palm Beach.
the first grafted Mangonia to bear fruit. The
well-known Haden variety was developed from
the seeds of this tree. During the Florida
Land Boom of the 1920s, the Pinewood De-
velopment Company led by David F. Dunkle
purchased 400 acres and 173 contributing
structures were built between 1921 and 1929 BOCA RATON
for upper-middle-class families.
Africa U.S.A.
Old St.Ann’s Church 400 Camino Gardens Blvd.
At 310 N. Olive Avenue, marker is between St. Marker is in a park on the south side of the
Ann’s Parish Office and St. Ann’s Church street in the Camino Gardens subdivision
Excerpt of inscription: Dedicated March 15, Excerpt of inscription: At this site in 1953, John
1898, on the southeast corner of Rosemary D. Pedersen and his family established “Af-
and Datura streets, St. Ann’s was moved to rica USA,” a major Boca Raton tourist attrac-
this site donated by Henry Flagler in 1902. tion for nearly a decade. The 350-acre site
It served the Catholic community until 1913, drew some 2,000 visitors daily to view the
when the new church was dedicated. The old park’s exotic animals and plants. A “Watusi
church was then used as the forerunner of St. Geyser” erupted hourly from the rock still
Ann’s School built in 1925. St. Ann’s Church is visible in the lake, throwing 1,000 gallons of
the oldest Catholic church and parish in the water per minute, 160 feet into the air. Near
Diocese of Palm Beach. the left edge of the lake are remnants of
“Zambezi Falls,” the park’s 30-foot waterfall.
Palm Beach Junior College
Marker at 813 Gardenia St., West Palm Beach. Barefoot Mailman
Excerpt of inscription: This Mediterranean On the west side of A1A in Spanish River Park
Revival-style building housed Palm Beach Excerpt of inscription: Along this beach in the
Junior College, Florida’s first public com- 1880s and early 1890s walked U.S. mail-
munity college, when it was established here men on their 66-mile journey between Palm
in 1933. The college outgrew these facilities Beach and Miami. The trip required three
after World War II and moved in 1948 to Mor- days each way and they passed this spot
Photo courtesy of Boca Raton Historical Society
rison Field, a U.S. Army Air Base. In 1955 the the second day. They walked barefoot at the
college moved to its present site. wet surf line with their mail bags and shoes ‘Old Betsy’ and the men of the Boca Raton Fire Department stand in front of Town Hall, which housed
slung over their shoulders. One of them, the fire engines. The structure was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Pioneer Memorial Plaque, James E. Hamilton, drowned trying to cross
Norton Museum of Art Hillsborough Inlet.
The plaque is on the south side of the building just Boca Raton Town Hall CANAL POINT 1911: St. Matthew Episcopal Church, 404
S.W. Third St.
to the left of the main entrance. It is very low to Conners Toll Highway
the ground. The museum address is 1451 S. Olive 71 N. Federal Highway
Delray Wreck
Ave., West Palm Beach. Boca Raton Historical Society now located Marker on the west side of U.S. Highway 441/
here. U.S. Highway 98 across from Canal Point Bait Marker is on the city’s municipal beach on A1A,
Excerpt of inscription: In memory of those and Tackle shop south of Atlantic Avenue at the intersection of
whose names appear below: Dwight Adams Excerpt of inscription: Designed in the Medi- A1A and Casuarina Drive
Allen Jr., Robert Hone, George Russell Allen, terranean Revival style by the architect Excerpt of inscription: Before 1923, travel into
Harriett M. Lewis, Infant Allen, Col. J.H. Liv- Addison C. Mizner and completed by the or out of the Lake Okeechobee area was Excerpt of inscription: The old shipwreck
ingston, Mary Louise Allen, Albert Plessner architect William E. Alysmeyer, the Boca accomplished only by boat or canoe. In the known as the Delray Wreck rests at the
Majewski, Henry J. Anthony, Grace Elizabeth Raton Town Hall opened in April 1927 as the early 1920s, W.J. Conners, a New York winter bottom of the ocean in 25 feet of water about
Majewski, L. Bennett, Fred Mayer, Gottlieb city’s first municipal building, fire station visitor, bought 4,000 acres of undeveloped 150 yards offshore the south end of Delray’s
Burkhardt, Robert W. Milburn Sr., Henry John and police department. The Woman’s Club muck land near this site. To develop it, he municipal beach. The wreck is broken and
Burkhardt (Infant), Flora Sherman Otwell, opened Boca Raton’s first public library here had to build a road. Conners and his engi- scattered into five sections and has long
Jarvis Brush Brown, Homer Sherman Otwell, in 1927. It was listed in the National Register neer, R.Y. Patterson, constructed the road been one of the most popular diving spots
Charles Campbell, Mark Hannibal Otwell, of Historic Places as “Old City Hall” in 1980 using dredges. Work began on October in South Florida. The S.S. Inchulva was
Bessie Grandall, Hannibal Dillingham Pierce, and was restored to its original architectural 16, 1924, and the highway was completed grounded and wrecked by a fierce hurricane
Irene Currie, Margretta Moore Pierce, James design by the Boca Raton Historical Society on June 25, 1925. Cost of the 52-mile road: on Sept. 11, 1903.
Dickey Doster, Albert Savage, William C. Fra- in 1984. $1,800,000. The road was hailed as an engi-
zure, Jonathan Seeley, Jessie Hannong, George neering marvel of the time, and though the Florida East Coast Railway Station
W. Shaw, Emmanuel Heyser, Jim Thorne, Ma- Florida East Coast Railway Depot toll was only $.03 a mile, the average daily Marker is at 200 Northeast First St.
bel Althea Heyser, John Pierce Voss, Harriett toll gathered was $2,000. After Conners’
Marker is at the railway depot at 747 S. Dixie Excerpt of inscription: The freight section is
Hill, William Waldron, Edmond Hone, Laten death on Oct. 5, 1929, the road ultimately
Highway all that remains of the old railroad station
A. Willson Jr., Richard Hone, Thomas Young. was sold to the State of Florida for $660.
Excerpt of inscription: Henry Flagler’s Florida constructed in 1896 by the Florida East
East Coast Railway first reached Boca Raton Frank Bryant marker Coast Railway Company. The station origi-
Pioneer Memorial Park in 1895. The 1930 railway depot on this nally stood on the east side of the tracks, one
On south side of U.S. Highway 1 at Mill Road block south of Atlantic Avenue. The original
At Jefferson Road and Dixie Highway on the west site was not the first station in Boca Raton.
in the community of Bryant, southeast of Canal 100-foot-long Stick-style building contained
side of the Norton Art Museum. A marble monu- This depot was built by Clarence A. Geist,
Point ground-level waiting rooms and a raised
ment is next to the marker with a plaque contain- a utilities magnate from Philadelphia, who
ing the names of the male pioneers who settled on wanted to carry out Addison Mizner’s vision Excerpt of inscription: Frank Bryant, 1872-1945. freight area. The station was expanded in
the shores of Lake Worth between 1873-1893. in Boca. In order to ensure the station would Here in 1921 Mr. Bryant began the develop- the 1920s, and another addition was con-
be designed in a style to complement the ment of sugar production in the Everglades. structed in the 1940s. Passenger service was
Excerpt of inscription: From 1895 until approxi- discontinued in the 1960s. The passenger
mately 1920, pioneer families buried their Boca Raton Club, Geist donated the land and
rights to the F.E.C., which commissioned area was razed but public outcry to save the
dead in this cemetery. Initially, both African-
Americans and white pioneers were buried architect Chester G. Henninger to build this DELRAY BEACH station stopped total destruction of the build-
depot in the Mediterranean Revival style. ing. In 1968 the remaining freight section
here, which was very unusual for the time. B.F. James and Frances Jane Bright Mini- was split into two sections and moved. The
In 1914, Henry M. Flagler donated to the city The F.E.C. Railway Passenger Station oper-
ated until 1968. The station was listed on the Park 1920s portion was destroyed by fire in 1984.
of West Palm Beach the land immediately In 1994, this surviving section of the historic
to the west of this site, on which Woodlawn National Register of Historic Places in 1980 Marker on the east side of Northwest Fifth
and was restored in 1989 by the Boca Raton Avenue just north of Atlantic Avenue. station was purchased by the Delray Beach
Cemetery was created as West Palm Beach’s Historical Society, which had the building
municipal cemetery. Most of the pioneers bur- Historical Society with the assistance of
It dedicates five historic sites. moved to its present location and restored.
ied on this site were exhumed and re-interred the Count and Countess de Hoernle and the
community. Excerpt of inscription: Late in the 19th century,
in Woodlawn Cemetery. However, as many as a group of black settlers established a com- Orange Grove House of Refuge No. 3
40 were not removed and remain buried on
this site today. BOYNTON BEACH munity in this area that became part of the 1876-1927
Marker is on A1A north of Atlantic Avenue
Town of Linton and later the City of Delray
Boynton Woman’s Club Beach. Excerpt of inscription: One of several built
Seaboard Air Line Station
1010 South Federal Highway (U.S. Highway 1) 1895: School No. 4 Delray Colored, located at by Treasury Department between Cape
Marker is in station courtyard, 203 South Tama- this site (Fifth Avenue Northwest) Canaveral and Cape Florida for rescue and
rind Ave. Excerpt of inscription: Designed in Mediter-
ranean Revival style by the famous Palm sustenance of shipwrecked. Named for wild
1896: Greater Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist sour orange grove nearby. H.D. Pierce, first
Excerpt of inscription: The Seaboard Air Line Beach architect Addison C. Mizner, The Church, 40 N.W. Fourth Ave.
Railway Station is a unique example of early Woman’s Club is significant for both its keeper, arrived with family May 1876. Here
20th century railroad architecture in the 1897: St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal August 15, 1876, was born the first white girl
architectural merit and contributions to the
Mediterranean Revival style. It opened with Church, 119 N.W. Fifth Ave. between Jupiter and Miami: Lillie Pierce
cultural development of Boynton Beach.
the arrival of the Orange Blossom Special on The Club was built in 1925 as a memorial 1898: Free and Accepted Masons, Lodge Voss. Area’s first post office, Zion, was lo-
January 25, 1925. It was the flagship station of to the founder of the town, Major Nathan S. 275, 85 N.W. Fifth Ave. cated in the house from 1888 to 1892. House
the entire Seaboard line running from Cole- Boynton. burned March 2, 1927.
man to Homestead. Harvey & Clarke, the larg-
est architectural firm in Palm Beach County
in the 1920s, created this new symbol for the
City of West Palm Beach.

Stub Canal Turning Basin


Marker in Howard Park on Parker Avenue, south
of Okeechobee Boulevard
Excerpt of inscription: The Stub Canal Turning
Basin represents an important link between
West Palm Beach and the farms next to
Lake Okeechobee. In the late 19th century,
Florida began draining the Everglades/Lake
Okeechobee basin to provide water transpor-
tation routes and to create farmland from
swamps. In 1905, a West Palm Beach connec-
tion was not part of the canal network. In 1911,
local businessman George Currie petitioned
Gov. Albert Waller Gilchrist (1858-1926) for a
canal from Lake Okeechobee to Lake Worth.
Known as the West Palm Beach Canal, the
40-mile channel was completed in 1917. By
1918, an extension, or stub, was constructed
to bring the canal directly into the West Palm Photo courtesy of the Florida State Archives MEGHAN MCCARTHY/Staff Photographer
Beach business district. The Stub Canal was
used for traveling and shipping until 1925, In a 1890 photo (above, left), Milton Messer polishes the headlight on Engine #2 of the Jupiter and Lake
when railroad and roads took over. Worth Railroad, known as the ‘Celestial Railroad.’ At right, the Celestial Railroad marker at Loggerhead Park.
7D Color/Final

THE PALM BEACH POST • SUNDAY, JANUARY 4, 2009 7D

Buy a piece of history at gallerypalmbeach.com


GULF STREAM
North Ocean Boulevard
Palm Beach Post staff
Two markers on North Ocean Boulevard
artist Brennan King
Excerpt of inscription: In 1992, North Ocean
Boulevard (State Road A1A) in the Town painted 12 local land-
of Gulf Stream was designated as a State marks and landscapes
Historic Scenic Highway to preserve the
last remaining Australian Pine Canopy and to celebrate the
the original character and beauty of the county’s centennial. To
1920s A1A in Florida.
buy a 2009 calendar
JUNO BEACH or poster prints, go to
gallerypalmbeach.com
Celestial Railroad
Marker on west side of Ocean Drive on the
fence line in Loggerhead Park, about a half- Sea Gull Cottage Old Bethesda-by-the-Sea
mile south of the Juno Beach-Jupiter line
Excerpt of inscription: On this spot the
Celestial Railroad, once connecting Jupiter
with Juno, is crossed by the Federal High- ballroom was used for many other social site of the first post office between Fort was in use until the 1929-1930 season. It was
way. Juno, at the north end of Lake Worth, events, such as theatrical performances by Jupiter and Miami. Originally known as the demolished in 1936.
was the county seat of Dade County, then the Palm Beach Junior College, which occu- Lake Worth Post Office, it was succeeded by
including Palm Beach County 1889-1899. pied the Town Hall in the 1950s. In 1939 the the Palm Beach Post Office, and the earlier Sea Gull Cottage, Palm Beach’s oldest
Jupiter was the first town site. town changed its name to the Town of Lake title was later taken by the community to house
Park. Lake Park Town Hall was listed in the the south, present day Lake Worth. It was in
National Register of Historic Places in 1981. Marker at 58 Cocoanut Row next to the Royal
the home of the first postmaster Valorus O. Poinciana Chapel
JUPITER Spencer, who was appointed in 1880.
Excerpt of inscription: Constructed in 1886 by
Dive Into History (Ano – 1659) LAKE WORTH Old Bethesda-by-the-Sea Episcopal R.R. McCormick, a Denver railroad developer,
Church Sea Gull cottage was purchased by Henry
Marker is on the grounds of Lighthouse Park, First Schoolhouse Flagler in 1893 and became Flagler’s first
500 Captain Armour’s Way in Jupiter This is the second Episcopal Church, which is winter residence in Palm Beach. The Royal
Marker is at 414 Lake Ave. at the city hall now a private residence. Marker is on North
Excerpt of inscription: These shipwrecked annex in Lake Worth. The City of Lake Worth Poinciana, Flagler’s first resort hotel in Palm
Lake Trail, north of Tangier Avenue. Beach, was located next to Sea Gull. In 1984
iron cannons and anchor were uncovered Museum is also in this building.
in July of 1987, just 2,000 yards east of this Excerpt of inscription: East of this marker is Sea Gull was moved and restored by the Pres-
spot in 10 feet of water off Jupiter Inlet. Excerpt of inscription: Site of the first school- the Episcopal Church of Bethesda-by-the- ervation Foundation of Palm Beach.
Archives and research link these mari- house erected in the Town of Lake Worth Sea built in 1894. Last service held Easter
time remains to the Spanish “Aviso” vessel in 1912. Initial enrollment was 24 pupils. In Sunday April 12, 1925. Most of the worshipers Site of the Palm Beach Pier
named “San Miguel De Archangel,” bound February 1916, building was replaced on this came by boat as there was no roadway to the
site by a concrete building — the present On the east side of South Ocean Boulevard at the
for Spain, with its last port being Havana, church which was bordered on the east by an foot of Worth Avenue
Cuba. In December of 1659 the San Miguel City Hall. extensive marsh. The original Bethesda-by-
foundered and wrecked off the River “Jea- the-Sea edifice built nearby in 1889 was the Excerpt of inscription: Erected and opened to
ga” (Jupiter Inlet). The 33 surviving sailors First Town Hall only church building within a radius of 130 the public in 1925, the pier extended out 1,095
lived with the local “Jeaga” Native Ameri- Marker at 7 N. Dixie Highway at the city hall miles. feet from this point. For over 40 years, it was
cans until rescued by a vessel dispatched a favorite town attraction, featuring a coffee
Excerpt of inscription: Site of building erected Royal Poinciana Chapel shop, cocktail lounge, restaurant, tackle shop
out of St. Augustine. in 1915 as the first Town Hall of Lake Worth, and fishermen’s lockers. A series of succes-
chartered in 1913. Civic and social affairs Marker is on north side of the chapel at 60 sive storms and hurricanes gradually eroded
Fort Jupiter and Jupiter Lighthouse before 1915 were conducted in a wooden Cocoanut Row the structure, causing it to be removed in
On the west side of U.S. 1 in front of the building nearby, known as the Club House Excerpt of inscription: Interdenominational 1969.
Jupiter/Tequesta/Juno Beach Chamber of or Auditorium. chapel, earliest church organization in Dade
Commerce County (of which Palm Beach County was a
Palm Beach Junior College part), formed in 1884. The present church
800 N. U.S. Highway One
Excerpt of inscription: Fort Jupiter was 3 First public junior college. Marker is at the building, erected on a site donated by Henry PALM BEACH
miles west on Loxahatchee River, erected current Administration Building, Palm Beach
Community College, Sixth Avenue South and
M. Flagler and later enlarged, opened in
December 1895.
GARDENS
January 1838 by troops commanded by Ma-
jor General Thomas S. Jesup, establishing Congress Avenue Old Dade County Courthouse
Royal Poinciana Hotel
base for operations in the Seminole Indian Excerpt of inscription: The earliest junior Marker located in Oakbrook Square, Palm
Wars. Jupiter Lighthouse, approximately 1 colleges in Florida were established under Marker on Cocoanut Row between the Palm
Beach Towers and Royal Poinciana Plaza, south Beach Gardens. It is two-tenths of a mile north
mile northeast, first lighted July 10, 1860, private auspices, beginning in 1907 with of the intersection of PGA Boulevard and U.S.
darkened during the Civil War, was relight- Palmer College at DeFuniak Springs. The of the Flagler Memorial Bridge
Highway 1 on the east side
ed on June 28, 1866. first public junior college was instituted by Excerpt of inscription: The Royal Poinciana
the Palm Beach County school board dur- Hotel, built by Henry M. Flagler, was opened Excerpt of inscription: About 300 feet east of
Jupiter Inlet Midden 1 ing the Depression years, and Palm Beach February 11, 1894. One of the largest wooden this marker stood the Dade County Court
Junior College admitted its first students in structures in the world at the time, the hotel House at Juno, the county seat from 1890 to
19075 DuBois Road in DuBois Park 1900. Juno — since abandoned — was the
1933. cost over $1 million. Its rooms accommodated
Excerpt of inscription: Jupiter Inlet Midden 1 2,000 guests and its dining room seated southern terminus of the “Celestial Railroad”
is an ancient shell mound built by Indians 1,600. The sprawling six-story structure, from Jupiter to Juno, and the northern termi-
known as Jeaga. A description of these nus of the boat and connecting stage coach
Indians by Jonathan Dickinson was first LANTANA painted yellow and white, faced Lake Worth
and was surrounded by gardens. The hotel line to Miami.
published in 1699. This shell mound is the
site of the village of Hobe where the Dick- Coastal Patrol Base No. 3 Civil Air Patrol
inson shipwreck victims were held captive (CAP) 1942-1943
by the Jeaga Indians in 1696. Lantana Airport, east of Congress Avenue on
Lantana Road
Jupiter Lighthouse Excerpt of inscription: Coastal Patrol Base
On the grounds of the lighthouse at the Coast No. 3 at Lantana Airport was one of three
Guard Station at Lighthouse Park, 500 Cap- 90-day experimental bases established on
tain Armour’s Way the East Coast of the United States to assist
with anti-submarine patrols. Civilian avia-
Excerpt of inscription: Designed by George tors flew missions up to 60 miles out to sea
G. Meade, later Federal commander at between Palm Beach and Cape Canaveral,
Gettysburg. First lighted July 10, 1860. Dark to search for German U-boats. The ex-
during the War Between the States and its perimental units were so successful that 18
mechanism hidden by Southern sympa- more were established in the U.S., with four
thizers. Relighted June 28, 1866. It has not more bases in Florida.
missed a night in over 100 years.

The Tennessee Volunteers Owen H. Gassaway Aviation Center


and Militia Camp Lantana Airport, 2633 Lantana Road
On the site of the Tennessee Volunteers and Excerpt of inscription: For the past 50 years,
militia camp, Second Seminole War, next to the name Owen H. Gassaway has been
6264 Winding Lake Drive synonymous with Lantana Airport’s aviation
history. As a young boy in the 1930’s, he flew
Excerpt of inscription: During the 2nd model airplanes on Morrison Field, now Photo courtesy of the Palm
Seminole Indian War and after the Battle
>

known as Palm Beach International Airport. Beach County Historical Society


of Loxahatchee Jan. 24, 1838, the Tennes- In World War II, he served with General
see Volunteers and militia camped on this Patton’s Third Army as a tank mechanic. By 1930, the Royal Poinciana Hotel
site. One mile east, the U.S. Army Regulars Lantana Airport, built in the 1940s, was lost some of its allure, since visitors
established Old Fort Jupiter. home to Lantana Flying Service under the preferred staying on the ocean at The
leadership of Owen, who earned a pilot rat- Breakers hotel. This aerial shows the
U.S. Jupiter Life Saving Station ings in many aircraft. ‘slat house’ addition that was built
Marker on west side of A1A in Carlin Park at after the 1928 hurricane damaged one
400 S.R. A1A wing of the hotel. The slat house is the
only piece of the Royal Poinciana that
Excerpt of inscription: Erected by the Semi-
nole Chapter, D.A.R., November 1960, to
MANALAPAN remains — it is part of the building that
holds McCarty’s restaurant. The rest of
mark the location of the U.S. Jupiter Life Lofthus (shipwreck) the hotel was demolished in the mid- A vintage post card of the Royal Poinciana Hotel,
Saving Station, 1886-1896, as a memorial 1930s. built by Henry M. Flagler.
to those gallant men who manned it, of The wreck is 175 yards off shore of Manalapan
which the following remained and founded and about three-quarters of a mile north of
families in this locality: Captain John R. Boynton Inlet in 15 to 20 feet of water.
Carlin, John H. Grant, Charles W. Carlin, Excerpt of inscription: Built in England in
Harry DuBois, Graham King, Daniel Ross, 1868, this 222-foot, three-masted barque was
Fred Powell. sailing with a cargo of lumber from Pen-
sacola when she wrecked in 1898.
World War II housing building
Marker is next to the barracks building, which
now houses the Loxahatchee River Historical PALM BEACH
Society and Museum, 500 Captain Armour’s
Way Duck’s Nest
Excerpt of inscription: The U.S. Navy con- Marker at 545 North Lake Trail. The house
structed this building circa 1939. Built as is next door to the Old Bethesda-by-the-Sea
Married Men’s Quarters, the two-story Episcopal Church.
wood-frame building had six two-bedroom Excerpt of inscription: Built in 1891 by Henry
apartments, each with brick fireplaces, Maddock for his home. Parts of the house
and a continuous screened first-floor porch were assembled in New York and brought
facing the inlet. During World War II, Navy by barge to Palm Beach.
personnel lived in this building.
Episcopal Church of Bethesda-by-the-
Sea
LAKE PARK On the church grounds at Barton Avenue and
Lake Park Town Hall North County Road
Marker is in front of town hall at 535 Park Excerpt of inscription: The original church
Ave. constructed in 1889 on the eastern shore of
Lake Worth was the first Protestant church
Excerpt of inscription: Boston entrepreneur building in southeast Florida. The present
Harry S. Kelsey founded Kelsey City in church was built in 1926.
1921. He envisioned his town as a resort
mecca and winter retreat for wealthy First Post Office in Palm Beach
Northerners. The town hall was designed MEGHAN MCCARTHY/Staff Photographer
by architect Bruce Kitchell in 1927 and On Lake Trail north of Plantation Road
was built by Arnold Construction Company The Duck’s Nest in Palm Beach was built in 1891 as the home of Henry Maddock. The building is next door
Excerpt of inscription: Just to the east is the to the Old Bethesda-by-the-Sea Episcopal Church.
in the Mediterranean Revival style. The

Related Interests