You are on page 1of 16

1776 - Kintyre Road Map and Coach Notes

In March 1776, just four months before America declared its independence from Britain, Scotland's first 'road atlas', George Taylor and Andrew Skinner's "Survey and Maps of The Roads of North Britain, or Scotland", was published in London, its price a handsome 12 shillings per copy. It consisted of 61 plates showing roads across Scotland at the one-inch to the mile scale, covering some 3,000 miles in total, with each page divided into three vertical strips of a particular road, the volume designed to be folded into a portable accessory for the growing number of travellers and visitors in Scotland.

1

Today Taylor and Skinner's strip maps are of unique value for showing the detail of Scotland's old routeways, including the then new military roads in the Highlands and, covering much of Lowland Scotland, supplement contemporary county mapping. Here Plate 17 of Taylor and Skinner's 'road atlas', its three strips uncoloured, sets out the plan of the road from Loch Gilp to Campbelton in four sections - from Loch Gilp to Tarbet (note the then spelling of Tarbert); from the Lagvoulen Inn (Redhouse); then from the south of today's West Loch Hotel to Rosehill Farm, at the top of the hill between Muasdale and Glenbarr, which was then simply know as Barr; from Barr to Ballevean and from Kilhunie, now Kilchenzie, to Campbelton. But, before the maps, it is appropriate to set out not only some of the story of Kintyre's roads and the story of that to the then new lighthouse on The Mull of Kintyre, built just a decade after the publication of these maps, but too to set out the scheme of the old drove roads and postal routes and to tell a little of the story of the Campbeltown to Tarbert mail coach and the Southend mail gig.

Kintyre’s Roads
An Act of 1669 “for repairing Highways and Bridges” had led to “all tennents and coaters and their servants . . . to have in readiness horses, carts, sleds, spades, shovels, picks, mattocks and such other instruments as shall be required for repairing the saids highways” and “Statute Labour”, with fines for neglect of the Act’s requirements and options of payments, e.g. in 1760 one could pay eight pence instead of doing two days labour, came into effect. At best, the roads were little better than tracks which forded streams or crossed burns over flimsy wooden bridges. Such proper stone bridges as there were had been constructed in the early 1700’s, most likely by one Mathew Frew, a Kilwinning coal engineer, who was in the area around 1702. In the minutes of The Commissioners of Supply, on June 22, 1749, it was noted “that the inhabitants of the parish of Kilcheynich, north of Clenghart to Crubasdil Water, with the inhabitants of Barr Glen, work upon the road leading from Barrbridge towards Ronadil in Carradill . . . Lachlan McNeill in Kilmaluag, Archibald McTavish in Achadadourie and Neill McGill in Amod to be the overseers And, as there is a New Road leading thorow a Mountain, the meeting recommends it to Mr Thomson, Minister there, Neal McNeal of Ugadil and the Baillie of Kintyre and others of the Neighbouring Surveyors to view the said Moor and Stake out the Most proper Lines before the people begin to work”. Two and a half centuries later that road, a natural trans-Kintyre crossing route, is still to be completed ! Two minutes of The Commissioners of Supply inform us that, on 22 May 1754, "The Meeting appoints ... That the Inhabitants of the lands of Aird, Ronadill and Duppin in Glencaradill, in place of the usual Work on the high roads, do work three days this Season in making a Key at the Ferry of Aird Under the Inspection of Dugald Campbell, late of Lochransay and Hector Campbell his Brother" and later, on 4 May 1763, that £50 10 shillings had been allocated for two bridges on The Water of Clachan. In 1756 it became possible for ‘statute labour’ to be compounded monetarily thus allowing others, ‘contractors’ from other areas, to repair and build the roads and an Act of 1755 provided for the preferential treatment of certain main roads, one being the 'Post Road', down the west side of Kintyre, from Inveraray to Campbeltown. The late F. Severne Mackenna, writing in "The Kist" magazine (No 17, Spring 1979), goes on to note that "Funds secured by The Act of 1775, which regulated the sums due from various sources such as the commuting for tax instead of labour, bridgemoney etc., were allocated in a manner which gave preference to certain main routes, one being the 'Post Road' from Inveraray to Campbeltown, down the west side of Kintyre.. "These important roads had always received special consideration from 'The Commissioners' but, although in the main satisfactory as to condition, those portions which traversed difficult country or which had been carelessly constructed, soon fell prey to any relaxation of attention or to any undue cause of wear. In 1735 a complaint was lodged that the road from East to West Loch Tarbert was damaged by the practice of dragging boats across the isthmus in order to avoid the long and hazardous voyage round the Mull. "The Post Road presented its greatest challenge to the authorities between Ardrishaig and Tarbert where, south of Stronachullin, it moved well inland to enter its Sliabhgaoil section. This became so unsatisfactory that it was finally decided to force a new route along the loch side. This formidable undertaking was allocated one-tenth of the whole county rate but, strange-sounding to modern ears, its cost worked out at considerably less than had been expected.

2

"All these major roads were laid out to a width of 20 feet, that is twice the width or more of the 1732 roads. Some indeed were even wider; for example The Old Statistical Account for Glassary gives the width of the great line in the parish as "twenty-four feet exclusive of bank or ditch". Previously the roads had been ordered to be at least nine feet wide, now the special 'Post Roads' were to be a full twenty feet in width. Where the ground was boggy, the surface was to be covered with a three-foot deep layer of bundles of branches or heather, over this a two-foot later of crushed stones and that topped with an eighteen-inch layer of gravel, all raised in the centre and with ditches on each side. Some local landowners and their tenants were not co-operative. On May 1, 1761 the tenants of Kilmorie and Killean were reported for ploughing through the route of the approved 'Post Road' and a year later the tenants of land at Southend were forbidden to plough across the line of the new road being laid out to Southend Kirk. "In some instances local proprietors offered to be at the expense of building or improving roads, being willing to remain out of pocket for a year or two until funds became available. "Colonel Charles Campbell of Barbreck, who had extensive property in Kintyre, took on such a task in 1769 when he offered to complete a section of road from Ballochageichan to Campbeltown, the repayment of its cost to take 12 years".

The 'Tippling Houses'
In the following issue of "The Kist" magazine (No 18, Autumn 1979), F. S. Mackenna records that "In the Minute Book of The Kintyre District Road Trustees there is a diverting entry which impinges on our area. "1 Oct. 1774. The Meeting having taken into consideration the bad consequences of a great number of Tippling Houses where Stages are not necessary they appoint the following as the most proper Places for Licensing Stages upon that Road and Recommend to the Collector of Excise to Compound with and tollerate the Houses following to the exclusion of all others which they desire the Clerk to intimate to the Collector. That is to say : Moneroy, Machriemore Miln, Killellan, Knocknahaw, Killkenzie, Tangy Miln, Bellochantuie, Lossit Miln, Drummore, Barr, Killean, Tayinloane, Runahorine, Clachan, one upon Loup's Property, Loup's Ferry, Leargnahuinsine (two houses), Dallacharn, Taynadrochit, Tayintraw, Dallintober (three houses), Saddell, Ardnacreish". The new road through Muasdale, with its 'pack-horse' bridge, appears to have been constructed sometime around 1776 - 1777, Muasdale then home to a Customs officer and his house there built around 1760, Muasdale's stone bridge perhaps being built in the 1720's following a fatal accident, in August 1718, at the old bridge crossing the burn of Allt-na-Dunach, 'the stream of misfortune', between Killocraw and Putechan, on the old road which ran along the crest of the raised beach between Tangy and Bellochantuy, The Bailie of Kintyre, Donald Campbell of Clachan, ordering a new stone bridge, six feet wide, to cross the Allt-na-Dunach burn and perhaps others on his route to Campbeltown to be built around the same time.

Skipness and East Kintyre Roads
"It may be recalled by readers of "Kist 11" (Spring 1976) that 'Old Kilberry' mentions the new road (January 30, 1883) which Mr Graham of Skipness had built along the shore from Claonaig; at first this venture was declared unfit to be taken over as a public road but later, after adjustments, it was accepted (May 30, 1885) and the old 'high road' was closed. Too in 1776, it was agreed by The Kintyre Trustees, regarding the reconstruction of the road down the east side of the peninsula, that it "shall be finished in a workmanlike manner and not in a paultry slovenly manner and that it shall be Twenty feet broad of a lasting permanent road".

The Mull of Kintyre Lighthouse Road
In 1647, at the time of The Massacre at Dunaverty, the old road from Campbeltown to Dunaverty and Southend, along which Leslie's army must have marched, passed over Machrimore Hill and one hundred and forty years later, when the building of The Mull of Kintyre Lighthouse was put in hand, little had changed. The stores and materials, taken by sea, were all landed on the shore, six miles away from the site of the lighthouse and then transported by horseback with one hundredweight as the limiting load and a single journey from the landing place to the lighthouse representing a day's work and a hard day's work it must have been.

3

This account of the journey is from an obituary written on the death of Matthew Harvey, one of the lighthouse keepers, in 1867. "The isolated position of the Light House at The Mull if Cantyre made it difficult of access. It is over 16 miles from Campbeltown and the last 5 of these are over a rugged mountain without a track. There were indeed many tracks, so that in making your way to it, you had to steer for a particular "gap" in the mountain of which you lest sight now and then, as you descended or rose over the hilly ground that lay between". Today the road to the lighthouse is metalled but, it still goes through 'The Gap', now a familiar local place-name. However, for many years after the lighthouse was built, the stores were carried from Carskiey or Southend on the backs of horses and it was not until between 1830 and 1840 that a bridle track, 4 ft. 3 ins. wide, was made by 'The Commissioners' from the lighthouse to Glemanuilt. In 1841 a feu contract from McNeill of Carskiey conveyed to the Commissioners ground for a store at Carskiey and a right of access from Carskiey to Glemanuilt by a road which was made about 1848.

Kintyre's Drove Roads
The practice of 'wintering' sheep begann towards the end of the eighteenth century, the 'hoggs', lambs 'from weaning to first shearing next summer', needing good pasture in their first winter to build strong frames and their move to sheepfree ground lessening any risk of infection (especially when no vaccines were known), the 'home shepherds' then free to look after their breeding-stock. Though now beyond living memory, the scheme of the drove routes and old postal routes has been generally agreed with Ian M'Donald, formerly of Clachan and the following insights are offered. Of the 'drove routes', there is indeed a track (shown on a pre-WWII Bartholomew Road Atlas as a 'road') on the North Kintyre 1:50000 (First Series, 1976) Sheet 62 between Talatoll and Minen which the Ballochroy Glen kids used to go to Clachan school and Ian M'Donald says they got off 30 minutes early in the afternoon to get home before nightfall. Of the old drove road between Clachan and Brackley, the route would most likely have been from Clachan to Talatoll to Minen, 'the school route' and then by north (?) or south (?) shore of Loch Garasdale to follow up the stream that runs into the south-east end of Loch Garasdale and through 'the gap' between the 125-metre O.S. contour lines and down the side of the stream to the Narachan Burn and, south of Narachan itself, swung south of the 203-metre high Cnoc Reamhar to follow the Carradale Water to Brackley etc., that track also marked on the pre-WWII Bartholomew Road Atlas. Tayinloan was the main post office for Gigha and Saddell and mail from Carradale was franked first “Glencardale”, then over-stamped “Tayinloan”. A mail-rider left Tayinloan on horse-back, collected mail at Muasdale ‘receiving house’ and then rode via Glen Barr to Carradale. Next day he returned from Spearsaig, at Cour, returning back via Ballochroy Glen and Rhunahaorine to Tayinloan. The inn at Sunadale was built around the 1800’s and remained in business, particularly for the thirsty inhabitants of nearby Carradale, until the 1950’s when Carradale Hotel was licensed. From Glenbarr to Carradale, for the 'horse mail route', the route was up Glenbarr to Garvalt and Arinanuan and, says Ian M'Donald, to 'the junction of the three estates' around Teanchoisin Glen and 'down Rhonadale', which way, looking at the new (2006-revised) O.S. Explorer Sheet 356, most likely would have been round the north of Cruach Mhic Choinnich and round the north of the little Loch nan Ciob to join, what is shown on 'Sheet 356', the track now starting about 3/4 mile west of the 362-metre high Diollaid Mhor, down 'the gap' to Rhonadale and Dippen. The Mail Route from Spearsaig (no longer marked on O.S. maps, but just 'yards' north of Cour) would, looking again at 'Sheet 62', seem to have followed the direction of the track beginning near the Cour milestone and going north of the 214-metre high Cnoc na Buaile crossed the 'burn' south of Loch a Chaoruinn, gone north of the two little 'un-named' hill lochs and followed the burn running along the south flank of the 226-metre high Cnoc Laoighscan and by north (?) or south (?) shore of Loch Garasdale to the road at Minen (or Cour-sheilach ?) and down Ballochroy Glen and to then back to Tayinloan. There being a 'near daily' post, it is likely that several, perhaps three or four, riders were employed to ensure the continuity of mail deliveries. In 1988 ('The Kist' magazine, No 37, Autumn 1989), a few months before he died at the age of ninety-three, Angus MacPhail retold his

4

days of droving sheep some thirty miles down from from Kilchamaig Farm, in North Kintyre, to Peninver. The droves, often beginning on a Monday morning, made overnight stops at Killean and Tangytavil or Ballivain before stopping at Craig's Bridge, the drove then cutting across the hill to Peninver and the drovers lucky if their arrival there coincided with a Friday when there might be a ceilidh or concert on in the village that night. Angus recalled that on the occasion of his last drove down into Kintyre the sheeps' feet had been terribly blooded after they had encountered newly laid stone chips on the road near Kilchenzie and they had been lucky to be allowed to rest the sheep in a field there before finishing the final few miles of their journey. In these days there was little road traffic, just the odd car and, as it so happened, Angus' boss, Miss Turner, with another lady, came up behind them in a car and saw the plight of the sheep, Angus immediately telling her that never again was he going to drive hoggs down into Kintyre. Though there were no cattle floats on the go at that time, Angus' boss got in contact with McConnachie's buses, they having a big long touring bus with a canvas hood which, with the seats stripped out, could carry a load of about seventy sheep. The first proper, double-deck, cattle floats didn't appear until the 1930's, Ross of Kilmartin buying a solid-tyred lorry that could carry up to a hundred lambs and charging around five pounds, a shilling a lamb, to take them to Glasgow and by the days of the 1940's the road droving was over - According to Angus Martin, the last noted drove across Kintyre was in 1933.

The Royal Mail
Previous to the advent of the steamer service, the gig - not the coach - kept Campbeltown in touch with the outside world. The ‘changing house’ at Drumore, just north of Bellochantuy, was built about 1733, at the same time and by the same architect who built the tacksman’s house on Cara Island, off Gigha. The need for the ‘changing house’ was the Tarbert mail gig which arrived in Campbeltown at 10 o’clock every weekday except Tuesday. The gig, again every weekday except Tuesday, left Campbeltown at 3 o’clock in the afternoon for Tarbert. In these days too were the ‘badge porters’ who delivered letters and small parcels, collected from the mail gig and the masters of vessels arriving in the harbour, the charge being a half-penny for each item delivered in Campbeltown and a full penny each for delivery in Dalintober. In Glasgow, letters were delivered on the Broomielaw side of the Cross for a penny, two-pence each if beyond. This was a remarkably cheap arrangement for ‘The Penny Post’ was not introduced until 1840. The practice of sending letters privately by steamer was to change The Post Office’s thinking for the roads were little better than tracks, many still are ! Following The Post Office Act of 1711, the post offices of Scotland and England were united under one PostmasterGeneral and a Deputy Postmaster-General was appointed for Scotland and ever since that 1711 Act successive governments have looked on the postal service as a valuable source of revenue. Postal rates were ever pushed upwards and so too rates of evasion rose and by 1835, despite an increase of one-third in the size of the country’s population, Post Office revenue was actually less than in 1815 when a new Post Office Act had come into effect, something had to be done. The Post Office Act of 1815 was certainly intended to stop ships carrying letters on which postage had not been paid and customs officers were empowered to search ships for any ‘irregular mail’. Under the Act, the ship’s master paid a 3/- (15p) deposit when the ship’s letter bag was lifted from The Post Office and this was refunded when the bag was handed over at its destination, the ship’s master then also received a further 2d (1p) per letter carried. Although credit for the introduction of ‘The Penny Post’ is generally given to one Rowland Hill, the idea came from Robert Wallace, the first Greenock M.P., elected following the 1832 Reform Act, whose father had built Kelly House at Wemyss Bay and, immediately following his election, Wallace, in 1833, became a strong critic of The Post Office’s unwillingness to improve its services and, two years later, in 1835, his campaign saw to the appointment of a commission “to inquire into the management of The Post Office Department”. It was Wallace who was instrumental in moving ‘The Penny Post’ in Roland Hill’s “Post Office Reform Bill” published in 1837 and then, later around 1848, successfully promoted the book-post, money order and packet services !

5

Roland Hill regularly visited the Wallace family at Wemyss Bay in the 1830’s and 1840’s and Hill’s protégé, a certain Anthony Trollope, the novelist was also amongst the house-guests on a number of occasions as were members of the Burns family, founders of various shipping companies and the Cunard Line. Anthony Trollope, largely now forgotten for ‘inventing’ - actually a French innovation - the postal pillar-box, the first examples appearing on the island of Jersey on November 23, 1852, had become a junior clerk in the General Post Office in 1834 and was promoted to the post of surveyor of the postal service in northern Ireland in 1841, most likely as a result of his socialising with Hill and Wallace at Kelly House in Wemyss Bay. Trollope’s promotion, as events suppose, was indeed to the advantage of the Burns family and his ‘insider knowledge’ of the postal service’s ‘high command’ most likely added to the Burns fortunes ! George and James Burns had set up G. & J. Burns & Co. in the 1820’s and were soon running the mails between Greenock, Londonderry, Belfast and Liverpool. In the 1830’s, Samuel Cunard, a Boston merchant, was looking for funding for ships to carry mail from Liverpool to America. Cunard visited the Burns family after being turned down by Wall Street and London financiers. Within weeks, Burns founded a consortium investing £270,000 in Cunard’s venture and by 1839 George Burns had become the first chairman of The Cunard Steam Packet Company. By late 1845, Burns was moving to buy-out the Cunard consortium and when his funding, from the ‘cash-cow’ Irish mail contracts, was suddenly threatened by the appearance of a would-be competitor backed by the Glasgow and South Western Railway Company. A Parliamentary Bill had been proposed to incorporate the time-tabling of railway services and shipping services for faster transit of passengers and mails to Ireland. Burns had to sink 'The Bill' and he invited Trollope to stay with him so that he could get advice on wooing Trollope’s Post Office bosses and fight the Bill on all fronts. Burns won, the Bill failing to get through Committee in Parliament and Burns later took over the rival Ardrossan Line too. Burns also took over the company which Alexander Laird, along with his partner Lewis M’Lellan, had developed as a result of their success beginning with the “Britannia” on the Glasgow - Campbeltown - Londonderry run in 1816, Burns & Laird Ltd.. M’Lellan & Laird’s ‘Derry steamers made regular calls at Campbeltown and both companies were on friendly terms, ‘reciprocating’ each others freight and passenger charges. Burns and Laird too were friendly, eventually joining together. These personal friendships undoubtedly smoothed the way for the new Campbeltown steamer company, it formed in 1826, to approach The Post Office about a mail contract, which they did in December 1829 but, The Post Office authorities, failing to immediately grasp the opportunity presented to them for improving the mail service to Kintyre, only agreed to transfer a proportion of the mail to the new-fangled steamers. In any case, an agreement to such an end was duly made in February 1830 and, on the introduction of the ‘Postal Reform Bill’, a new contract, for the carriage of sealed mail bags, followed in 1840, the Campbeltown steamer company would then fly the flag of The Royal Mail for practically the whole of its existence, World War II bringing about the end of the Glasgow, Greenock and Campbeltown service, the ships, the "Davaar" and the "Dalriada" requisitioned by The Admiralty.

The Campbeltown - Tarbert Mail Coach
Though the coming of the railways had sounded the death knell for the stage coach - the last ran between London and Norwich in 1846, Campbeltown’s own mail coach did not enter service until 1871 when John Stewart, Chamberlain of Argyll and The Laird of Largie, at Tayinloan, decided that the days of the post-gig should be ended and a proper coach put into service. To this end, the gentlemen approached William Young, born in Beith and son of a farmer, to instigate a new coach service. Young was already a contractor and would become tenant of the Drum Farm and, later, Glencraigs. The coach, carrying passengers inside and out, was, throughout its service, most usually driven by Young himself, he only latterly allowing his assistant Jim McPhee the reins. Every morning too, Young had to ride the 4½ miles in to Campbeltown from the Drum Farm and then, in the evening, had to ride out home again after the day’s run was finished, a long hard day.

6

The coach left Campbeltown every weekday at 6 a.m. and made the first change of horses at Bellochantuy. Further changes were made at Tayinloan, Clachan and then Tarbert, the coach returning to Campbeltown for 6 p.m.. At each change of horses, the driver took his mail bag to the village post office thus giving the passengers a few moments to refresh themselves at the adjacent inn, Young himself was never known to accept a drink from passengers. The inns, the “Tippling Houses at Stages on the Main Road”, had been established over a century before in the days of the old post gig and that at Bellochantuy, just to the north of the present hotel, was built about 1733, the same architect building the house on Cara Island - Bellochantuy’s post office and church were demolished in the early 1980’s to make way for a new alignment of the main road. While only two horses were needed to take the coach north to Tayinloan, a third was then added to power the coach over the hills at Ronachan and Clachan. The three horses were harnessed “French Fashion”, abreast of each other Had the third horse been added to lead the other two, the harnessing would have been known as ‘Unicorn Fashion’ ! Little time was wasted at the inns and the coach would not stop or slow down on the approach to hills. Anyone wanting to put a letter on to the coach between the inns would place the communication in a cleft stick to be held out towards the coach driver as the vehicle approached, the same principal as was adopted for mail trains picking up mail at speed at intermediate stations. The coach also picked up lists for farm and household goods and dropped these off on the return trips, eventually The Post Office instituted a parcel service and the mail contractor then awarded an increase in his contract fees. Though most coach passengers preferred the comfort and warmth of the inside, the seat of honour was on the box beside the coach driver and many famous men, famous in politics, the church and business, sat beside the driver. On one occasion, a schoolgirl was ordered to vacate the comfort of the inside and sit on the box beside the driver to allow a calf to be put inside, a far more valuable passenger indeed ! Only once was it reported that anyone had got the better of coach driver William Young. “What is the fare ?” asked an attractive young lady. “A kiss from you, my bonnie lassie,” replied Young. She quickly kissed him and as quickly made off, leaving him breathless - and fareless ! The return fare between Campbeltown and Tarbert was £1.00 in the final years of the service. The first motor car appeared in Campbeltown in 1898 and the mail-coach, said to ‘circumnavigate The World’ once- ayear, gave way to the age of the motor-bus in 1913 when it made its last run on Saturday, August 30, 1913.

The Southend Mail
Up until around the time of World War I, a twice-weekly “brake”, drawn by two horses, took passengers on the 1½ hour trip to Campbeltown on Mondays and Saturdays. To lighten the load for the horses, the passengers got out to walk up the braes at Killellan on the outward journey and at Oatfield on the inward return. The Southend mail was carried in a one-horse wagonette driven by postman Charles Black - later by his son-in-law, James Greenlees. It left at 4.45 a.m. to catch the steamer leaving Campbeltown about 8 a.m. and, depending on the arrival time of the inward bound steamer at Campbeltown, returned to Southend later in the afternoon, the mail, having been sorted in Campbeltown, being delivered around the village that evening and, as happened too on the route into the village, a sharp whistle from the postman would bring the children running out to collect the mail so as the postman would not need to stop unnecessarily. Just as the mail was delivered, the same day’s “Glasgow Herald”, price one penny, would arrive and without any extra charge for delivery for postage.

And So To The Maps . . . . .
Plate 17 of Taylor and Skinner's 'road atlas', its three strips uncoloured, sets out the plan of the road from Loch Gilp to Campbelton in four sections - from Loch Gilp to Tarbet (note the then spelling of Tarbert); from the Lagvoulen Inn (Redhouse); then from the south of today's West Loch Hotel to Rosehill Farm, at the top of the hill between Muasdale and Glenbarr, which was then simply know as Barr; from Barr to Ballevean and from Kilhunie, now Kilchenzie, to Campbelton, the reader no doubt initially taken aback as they are drawn "in Chinese fashion", Campbelton, being in the south, at the top, Loch Gilp, in the north, at the bottom and end of the series.

7

Plate 17 - Inveraray to Tarbet and Campbelton

8

9

10

11

12

13

14

Taylor and Skinner's 61 (uncoloured) Original 1776 Plates being 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Edinburgh to Berwick upon Tweed Edinburgh to Cornhill by Greenlaw Lauder to Kelso; Road from Lauder to Jedburgh; Edinburgh to Carlisle by Selkirk and Hawick. Edinburgh to Carlisle, continued Edinburgh to Moffat and Dumfries by Peebles and also by Linton Edinburgh to Moffat, Lochmaben and Dumfries by Peebles and by Linton, continued Edinburgh to Wigtoun and Whitehorn by Biggar, Lead hills and New Galloway, continued from page 5 Edinburgh to Wigtoun and Whitehorn, continued; Edinburgh to Lanark and Ayr by Douglass and Cumnock. Edinburgh by Douglas to Ayr and Stranrawer, continued Edinburgh to Ayr and Stranrawer, continued Edinburgh, continued to Ayr by Hamilton Edinburgh to Glasgow and Greenock and to Dunbarton and Inveraray, continued Edinburgh to Glasgow, by Bathgate; Edinburgh, by Whiteburn and Glasgow, continued to Inveraray Edinburgh to Stirling, Tyndrum and Fort William Edinburgh by Stirling, continued to Fort William Edinburgh to Inveraray, continued; Dalmaly to Bunau; Inveraray to Tarbet and Campbelton Inveraray to Tarbet and Campbelton, continued (shown at end of Appendix) Stirling, by Crieff, to Fort Augustus and Bernero Stirling, continued from Dalnacardoch, to Fort Augustus and on toward Bernero

15

20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61

-

Stirling, continued by Fort Augustus, to Bernero; Dunkeld to Kenmore and Killin Edinburgh to Thurso and Johny Grots or Dungsby Head, by Perth, Dunkeld, Dalwhinnie, Inverness etc. Dalnacardoch to Aviemore Inverness to Tain Tain to Wick Wick to Thurso Perth to Fort George Braemarrto Fort George Perth to Brechine Edinburgh to Fochabers by Huntly, continued from North Esk Bridge Edinburgh, by Brechine, Banchory & Monymusk, continued to Old Rain, to join the Aberdeen to Huntly Road Aberdeen, by Old Meldrum, to Banff Banff to Inverness Edinburgh to Dundee, Aberbrothick, Montrose, Inverbervie and Stonehaven Edinburgh to Montrose and Stonehaven, continued; Pathead to Crail; Edinburgh to Cupar Queensferry to Dumfermline, Culross, Clackmannan and Stirling; Queensferry to Borrowstouness, Falkirk etc. Prestonpans to North Berwick; Musselburgh to Dalkeith and Newbattle; Haddington to North Berwick Berwick to Hawick; Berwick to Dunse Biggar to Lanark; Peebles to Selkirk, by Fernalee Bridge Glasgow to Longtown, by Hamilton, Douglass Mill and Moffat Elvanfoot to Dumfries; Glasgow, by Hamilton and Moffat, continued to Longtown Glasgow to Ayr and Glasgow and Kilmarnock to Sanguhar and Dumfries Glasgow to Kilmarnock, Sanguhar and Dumfries, continued; Dumfries to Monyhive Port Patrick to Dumfries, Annan and Longtown Port Patrick to Dumfries, Annan and Longtown, continued; Whitehorn to Glenluce Glasgow to Irvine; Ayr to Machlin Greenock to Irvine and Ayr; Dumbarton to Row Kirk and Portencaple Glasgow to Paisly, Bieth and Kilwinning; Lanark to Hamilton; Lanark to Glasgow Stirling to Glasgow; Stirling to Dumbarton Tarbet Inn to Crienlarach; Crieff to Locherne Head; Crieff to Perth St Andrews to Woodhaven and Newport; Crail to St Andrews and Cupar Dundee to Cupar and Dunkeld; Dunkeld to Ambleree Dundee to Glammiss and Kirrimuir; Dundee to Forfar Aberbrothick to Brechine; Montrose to North Esk; Montrose to Laurence Kirk Aberdeen to Braemarr; Aberdeen to Durris and Banchory Ternan, by the South side of Dee River Charlestoun of Aboyne to Corqarff; Aberdeen to Monymusk and Alford; Aberdeen to Monymusk Aberdeen to Huntly; Aberdeen to Fraserburgh Aberdeen continued to Fraserburgh; Ellon to Peterhead; Peterhead to Fraserburgh Banff to Peterhead by Strichen; Fraserburgh to Banff; Huntly to Banff Fochabers to Aviemore; Nairn to Fort George Inverness to Fort Augustus and Fort William; Inverness to Glen Urguhart Plan of the Cross Roads in The Shires of Ross and Cromartie

Taylor (Captain George Taylor of The Duke of Cumberland's late Regiment of Foot) had produced a number of manuscript surveys on his own account before beginning his work with Skinner and listed in Volumes 1 and 2 of I. H. Adams "Descriptive List of Plans in The Scottish Record Office" are his 1772 plan of the course of the River Dovern, an 1772 - 1773 general plan of the lands of Speyside, described as "A very fine and detailed plan . . . with a note giving recommendations for improvements", a map of Badenoch and a 1773 plan of Aberdeen which Taylor and Skinner published together, when they joined forces as surveyors in Aberdeen in 1776 - Together, George Taylor and Andrew Skinner published a number map and road books including their "Survey and Maps of The Roads of North Britain, or Scotland", it in both folio and pocket book editions and their "Survey of The Great Post Roads between London, Bath and Bristol" in 1776 but, in 1778, although they had been assisted financially by The Commissioners for The Forfeited Estates and by subscriptions, some no doubt from the landed gentry whose names and properlies were shown along many of the roads, they reported that nearly half the 3,000 published copies of their Scottish 'road atlas' were unsold and their 1-inch to 1-mile survey of the counties of Perth and Clackmannan 'to be published by subscription of two guineas, to be begun as soon as 300 copies are subscribed for' was never published - With debts still to repay, Taylor and Skinner set off for Ireland, their "Map of The Roads of Ireland" published that year of 1778, a second edition following five years later, in 1783, after they had headed west for America where, in 1781, they produced a manuscript map of New York, it to be seen today in the archives of The British Museum.

16