You are on page 1of 2

City Centre

Leeds Town Hall


Cuthbert Brodrick designed this powerful
neo-classical building which remains one
Kenneth Armitage
Armitage was born in Leeds in 1916 and
became famous for his bronze sculptures.
Leeds Grand Theatre
and Opera House
Victoria Quarter
This area was originally a mass of narrow
yards, slaughterhouses and butchers’
Leeds Library
This is the oldest surviving subscription
library in the UK. Founded in 1768 by 104
Leeds Corn Exchange
Designed and built 1860-1864 by Leeds’
most famous architect, Cuthbert Brodrick.
St Paul’s House
Built in the Moorish style, this was a factory
and warehouse for Sir John Barran, 1878.

Highlights
Designed by renowned Leeds architect
of the largest town halls in the country. Having studied at Leeds College of Art, George Corson, the Grand Theatre was a shops – all redeveloped between 1897-1902. local inhabitants, its first Secretary was He was inspired by the Halle aux blés in He set up as a tailor and devised the
Opened by Queen Victoria in 1858 in a he went on to create the ‘Both Arms’ spectacular venue inspired by European Famous theatre architect Frank Matcham English theologian, political theorist and Paris. This is now one of only three Corn band knife to cut many layers of cloth –
lavish ceremony, its immense size was sculpture which was inaugurated by Nelson design. The wealthiest of the Victorian designed this beautiful shopping centre chemist Joseph Priestley, the man credited Exchanges in the country to still operate in prompting the birth of the mass produced
a statement of intent from the thriving Mandela and is visible next to his plaque. visitors were welcomed through the with two streets, two arcades and with the discovery of oxygen. It moved its original capacity as a centre for trade. ready-made clothing industry. Barran was
industrial city Leeds had become. main entrance, while those of lower the Empire Theatre (now occupied several times during its early years but has the Liberal MP for Leeds 1876-1885
Leeds Civic Hall social classes had to enter through the by Harvey Nichols). remained at this site since 1808. The library as well as the city’s mayor 1870-1871.
building’s more inconspicuous doorways. has a collection of 140,000 books with He was knighted in 1895.
Designed in a broadly Palladian style by
EE
DS CIT

Vincent Harris and built by the unemployed The theatre opened with a performance of Queen’s Arcade about 1,000 new books added each year.

Y
L
Park Square
markets

E E N This arcade occupies the site of the


QU
of Leeds thanks to a government grant. S Shakespeare’s ‘Much Ado About Nothing’
The Hall includes the Lord Mayor’s rooms, on 18th November, 1878. Rose & Crown Yard. In 1889 the old hotel, Whitelocks The Blue Plaque describes the creation
council chambers and a banqueting hall. coffee, tobacco and clothes shops were all First opened in 1715 as The Turk’s Head, this of this lavish housing estate. Planning
Opened by King George V in 1933, swept away to build the arcade shops on is the oldest pub in Leeds. It was bought began in 1788 and the aim was to create a
the Civic Hall effectively replaced Leeds two levels to maximise the space available. and refurbished by the landlord John fashionable square for wealthy residents.
Town Hall as the city’s administrative Designed in a quirky novelty style, the Lupton Whitelock in 1867 and even today As Leeds became more industrialised and
centre. Atop its two towers sit gold leaf arcade catered more to an upper-class the pub retains a richly decorated Victorian John Barran’s factory on the opposite side
owls, the symbol of Leeds. market and was compared to London’s interior. This was the site of the 100th Blue of the square was built, the residents moved
AR Carnaby Street. Plaque erected in Leeds. away and the houses were taken over for
CADE office space. Today this square is the centre
The Church Institute Kirkgate Market of Leeds’ legal district; most of the houses
14
A striking polychrome gothic building
Leeds & County Liberal Club
here are now used as lawyers’ offices.
The Market was moved to this location In the 1880s and 1890s three of Leeds’ five
Leeds Civic Trust now imaginatively renovated as shops, in 1826 from the original open-air site on MPs were Liberals and the Prime Minister,
restaurants and offices. Originally the Briggate. Built in 1857, the Market Hall was
Blue Plaques Trail Leeds School Board premises provided a lecture hall, library, made of cast iron and glass with the advice
William Gladstone (who was also a Liberal),
was elected MP for Leeds. This grand red
reading room and classrooms in order to of Sir Joseph Paxton, creator of The Crystal
In 1876, George Corson won the terracotta building was the meeting place
extend religious and secular knowledge, Palace in London. The present market hall of
competition for the design of this for those of a Liberal mindset to discuss
and improve the efficiency of Church 1904 is one of the finest in the country and
building and the adjacent Municipal the major political issues of the time.
Sunday Schools and Day Schools. is said to be Europe’s largest indoor market.
Building. This plaque recognises the
Leeds School Board, which erected 31
Leeds Civic Trust was founded in 1965 and is an large schools accommodating 19,000
The Leeds Club
independent, non-political, voluntary organisation pupils by 1878 – one of the great This grand Italianate Grade II listed
made up of people who live or work in Leeds and achievements of Victorian Leeds. building was the home of the Leeds
are keen to promote its improvement. We stimulate Club from 1852. The plaque details the
debate about Leeds and promote pride in the city. Leeds General Infirmary (LGI) John Harrison comfortable accommodation of this private
It celebrates the life of John Harrison, a club. The exclusive membership list was
 ur Blue Plaques scheme
O Part of the Great George Street site Brodrick’s Buildings comprised of men from both sides of the
was set up in 1987 to celebrate was bought in 1862 and famous architect prominent woollen cloth merchant and
 Architect Cuthbert Brodrick, who also generous benefactor who provided funding political divide and many of no political
important people, events Gilbert Scott was asked to design the new
and buildings in Leeds.
designed Leeds Town Hall, Leeds Corn for this church, as well as Leeds Grammar affiliation but significant social influence.
hospital. Flushed with his recent triumph Exchange and The Mechanics Institute, is
The scheme is financed by School and several almshouses for the Now a stylish cocktail bar, the ‘Lost &
at St Pancras railway station, Gilbert Scott responsible for the two shops on this site
obtaining sponsorship for LEEDS TOWN HALL poor. Throughout his life he was concerned Found’ has retained much of the
designed the hospital in a similar pseudo- in unconventional Gothic style.
each plaque; without the This greatest of monuments Club’s elegant interior.
LEEDS & COUNTY LIBERAL CLUB

to Victorian municipal Gothic style. The LGI was completed with helping the poor in practical ways.
generous sponsorship of government was opened by The church is now redundant but this
individuals, organisations Queen Victoria on 7
with wards 1 to 10 in 1868 and opened Samuel Smiles fascinating building remains open to William Hey’s House
and businesses the scheme September 1858. in May 1869.
Samuel Smiles was an ardent social and visitors most days. This house was originally built for famous
would not exist. political reformer. He was, throughout
Maurice Ellis Leeds surgeon William Hey. Despite the
Hotel Metropole
Leeds Civic Trust has erected his life, keen to advance the condition City Varieties Music Hall handicaps of being badly burnt and losing
over 170 plaques across the city. In 1952, Maurice Ellis was appointed as of the working classes by improving Tucked away down Swan Street is one of sight in one eye as a child, he set up his The pinkish red brick and terracotta used
the first Consultant in the UK in charge of their education. His famous book, ‘Self Leeds’ favourite entertainment venues. Leeds practice in 1759 at Slip-Inn Yard in the building were made by J.C. Edwards
a Casualty Department at Leeds General Help: With Illustrations of Character The City Varieties has been open almost (now Pack Horse Yard) and in 1767 he DS CIT
of Ruabon, Wales. Traditionally this hotel
Infirmary. He campaigned vigorously for and Conduct’, was a huge success and EE
continually since 1865, when Charles was elected surgeon to the newly has catered more for corporate clients,

Y
L
improvements to emergency medicine translated into several languages. He is markets
Thornton rebuilt his White Swan pub founded Leeds General Infirmary – being located in the centre of the business
You can contact us at: Find us online: services. In 1962 he published the ‘Casualty remembered for his insightfulness and into a music hall. he founded a medical society district and within a 5 minute walk to
Leeds Civic Trust www.leedscivictrust.org.uk Officers’ Handbook’, which ran to three appreciation of the lives led by the poorest
17-19 Wharf Street facebook.com/leedscivictrust and gave courses on anatomy. the train station. This Grade II listed
editions in his lifetime and continued to be in society; “A penny is a very small matter,
Leeds LS2 7EQ @LeedsCivicTrust building underwent a £6million
widely read thereafter. Hundreds of clinical yet the comfort of thousands of families
Telephone: refurbishment in 2005.
0113 243 9594 students and junior doctors referred to him depends on the proper spending and
Email: affectionately as ‘Father Ellis’. saving of pennies”.
office@leedscivictrust.org.uk
LN

RD
P IT
AY ME

ES
AY

K
CL RR

R
ION

CR
W

A6 4 ( M )
PA
WA

D
Y

ND

LL
N
LA

LA
Welcome

VE
Leeds Grand Theatre Whitelocks

RT

RT

LO
ME
R
Leeds Town Hall

PO
RIO

PO
NW
Did you know? AY
and Opera House Follow the narrow alleyway round into

ST

D
  ound inside the Calverley Street
F

R
E

K
DG
to Leeds!

R
Whilst designing the LGI, the Yard, the plaque is located on the

PA
entrance, up the steps and in the Pass under the grand arches at the

RI

L
OK
BE

EL
Gilbert Scott took advice entrance foyer on the right-hand wall. entrance and the plaque is located outer wall of the pub.

V
LM

CO

O
L

T
ON

GE S
from Florence Nightingale  The Headrow, Leeds LS1 3AD on the left by the doors. Turk’s Head Yard, Leeds LS1 6HB

TG

BRID
on the design of the wards. www.whitelocksleeds.com

ROVE
www.leedstownhall.co.uk 46 New Briggate,

CALVERLEY ST
Leeds is a bustling city, host to Leeds LS1 6NZ
world-class events, glorious Victorian Leeds School Board Kirkgate Market

T
www.leedsgrandtheatre.com

GE S
THORESBY PL

A64
shopping arcades, pioneering theatre, Situated to the left of the Walk clockwise around the market to

BRID
(M
WO
John Harrison the opposite corner, the plaque can

)
ST
opera and dance and some of the SING
TON BEL
G entrance steps on the corner

OD
ROS RAV
E ST
of Calverley Street.  Can be seen on the stone entrance be found on Butchers’ Row.

HO
country’s finest architecture.

USE
post to St. John’s Church. Kirkgate Market,

LN
GREAT G T
EORGE ST AND S Calverley St,
PORTL A6

WADE
LN
4
(M Leeds LS1 3ED 23 New Briggate, Leeds LS1 7JH
It was a small manorial borough GREAT
GEORG
E ST )
Leeds LS2 8JD
in medieval England before becoming  Leeds Corn Exchange

T

MERR

ST
GRE

GE S
Leeds General Infirmary
AT GEORGE ST ION S
T

N
the heart of the British wool and flax Did you know? NEW
City Varieties Music Hall Located on the right-hand wall

LEIGHTO

BRID
YOR
K
Located on the stone entrance post
RD
just inside the entrance.
industry in the 17th and 18th centuries.
ALEXANDER ST
There are 4 Blue Plaques which at the front of the hospital car park. Look for the iconic ‘City Varieties’

PARK ST
HA

feature gold lettering rather arch just off Briggate, the plaque is Call Ln, Leeds LS1 7BR
Leeds is now the crown jewel of the
NO

LeedsA6LS1
4 (M 3DL
www.leedscornexchangeco.uk
than the usual white; these were on the white wall underneath.
VE

North and the UK’s best kept secret.


R

ST
erected as part of the city’s
LN

Maurice Ellis Swan St,

COOKING
Millennium celebration. Leeds LS1 6LW Leeds & County Liberal Club
A perfect way to take in the best of Leeds LS1 3DL The plaque can be found to the right

E
W
www.cityvarieties.co.uk

AT
VICTORIA SQ O RMA
what the city has to offer is by doing LD ROW

IGG
of the entrance of what is now the

VICAR LN
MARK L
N HARR
Kenneth Armitage

BR
ISON
the walking trail of the famous Blue
THE HEADROW ST
Victoria Quarter Quebecs Hotel.

NEW
THE HEADRO
W
Located on the large white wall
Plaques, erected by Leeds Civic Trust CITY VARIETIES Located at the intersection 9 Quebec St,

W
THE H
E ADRO at Nelson Mandela gardens.

RE
W MUSIC HALL Leeds LS1 2HA
in recognition of people, places and with Cross Arcade.

SQUA

SS ST
PARK 5 Calverley St, www.quebecshotel.co.uk
S Cross Arcade,
events which have shaped the city.

UPPER BASINGHALL ST
8 QUAR
A5 EN
Leeds LS1 3AL

CRO
PARK

VICAR LN
S PARADE
Leeds LS1 6AZ

ALBION ST
THE H
Hotel Metropole
EADR
The Trust has put over 170 plaques up OW

PARK
Leeds Civic Hall

E
Queen’s Arcade
SWAN EASTGA
across the city to date, but this Trail Leeds LS1 2HQ

BUTTS CT
E
ST TE

PARK ROW
UAR
8
A5
Found by passing between the
takes in 24 of the most central plaques Found immediately on the

K SQ
SQUARE
right-hand tower of the Hall and
right-hand wall as you enter St Paul’s House

PAR
which feature some of the city’s S the Cuthbert Brodrick pub to the

PARK
the Arcade from Briggate. Located on the front side of the

TE
8 ST P
spectacular locations. A5 eastern side entrance door.

BRIGGA
AUL
’S ST
Did you know? building facing onto Park Square.

RADE
Calverley St, The Church Institute
ST P
AUL One of the finest stained- Leeds LS1 1UR 14 St Paul’s House,

LN
’S

E PA
ST
glass windows in the city
RUSSELL ST
9a Lands Ln, 23 Park Square S,

R
14 14

VICA
is located in the reception Leeds LS1 6AW Leeds LS1 2ND
PAR
K PL
Brodrick’s Buildings
N ST

T
of the Quebecs Hotel, why ALBION PL DYER S
LUDGATE HILL The plaque is on the wall opposite The Leeds Club Park Square
U EE

IN
PAR not go in and have FI a look.
R
the O2 Academy box office.
LE Q

K PL M
C
A
RY
BON
DS 3 Albion Pl, Found in the northeast
T
Portland Cres,
LITT

PAR RO
YOR
KP L FT
ST
COMMERCIAL ST COMMERCIAL
ST
Leeds LS1 6JL corner of the square.
K PL ’S
C Leeds LS1 3HJ Leeds LS1 2N

VICAR LN
DS CIT
T TURK’S EE

William Hey’s House


H

Y
L
Q PA EAD YA markets
YOR U RD KIR
EB RK KG
Samuel Smiles
K PL ATE
EC RO
YOR
ST W 2 Albion Pl,

ALBION ST
Did you know?
K PL
Found on the corner of the

W
Leeds LS1 6JL

BRIGGATE
R
ST

There are over 35 other Blue


PA R K Leeds City Museum.
IA

BACK
Leeds Library
ST
ANN

Plaques INGin the city centre.


YORK
PL Millennium Square,
G

WELL
KIN

TON S

ST
BRIT

If you fancy Tsome additional Leeds LS2 8BH 18 Commercial St, Leeds LS1 6AL

KET
WELL NEW YORK ST YORK ST
KI
exploring, see how many INGTON ST www.theleedslibrary.org.uk

AL RD
RK

MAR
LEEDS & COUNTY LIBERAL CLUB
GA
TE

BO
you can find! WELLI
NGTON S R

CENTR
A

NEW
T LN
NO

ST
RT

ALBION
HE

BO N ST
AR DUNCA
RN

OW

LN
ST

CL
SK R

R LN OT
BOA HH
AL
THIR

LS
T