HISTORY OF WOOD BROTHERS BAND LATER KNOWN AS WOOD BROTHERS ORCHESTRA

Taken from Daniel Wood Diary and Joseph C. Wood Memories Daniel Wood came to Utah on 23 July, 1848, and in February 1850 filed on 120 acres farm in lower Bountiful, now Woods Cross, and began building a huse (house) of adobe crick for his family. By Oct 1850 the new home was complete and occupied by his very grateful family. In 1863 Daniel built a family Meeting house under instructions of President Brigham Young. As there was a need for music he had his sons begin studying Musical Instruments and was proud to organize the Wood Brothers Band in the Fall of 1863. They played at the first Meeting held in the Daniel Wood Family Meeting house on 18 Nov.. 1863 at 7 P.M. The Wood Brothers Band was organized with Daniel Cotton Wood, leader, playing Cello, Heber C.. Wood First Violin George C. Wood First Violin James Grace Wood, Second Violin Peter Cotton Wood, Flute, and he became quite professional, even writing some of his own music Edwin Theodore E. Wood, Banjo Joseph Cotton Wood, only seven years old, beat time with a Tambourine, two years later played Cello, then later on 3 string Base Violin The Wood Brothers Band was organized to provide music in the Daniel Wood Family Meetings, held each Wednesday evening in the Wood Family Meeting House. As Daniel welcomed all of his neighbors and friends they usually had many attend. This gave the Band very good advertising, and resulted in requests for them to play for many occasions through the Valley. As there were no Dance Halls or Opera Houses, the entertainments were held in District School

Houses and homes, and Churches for Programs and Social Entertainments. The Wood Band played much at Church socials gladly donating their services, but all dances were held in School Houses or Homes. The first dances they played for was held in the School hus (house) located two blocks west of where the Bountiful Jr. High School now stands, and was on the South East corner of the road. Later they played at the Relief Society Rock Hall located on 1st south between Main St. and First East on the south side of the street about in the center of the block, across the road South of Bountiful Tabernacle. They also played for dances in the School huse (house) in then lower Bountiful, now called Woods Cross. The adobe building was located across the Street East of the now West Bountiful Meeting house, also at the school house in South Bountiful, built of adobe brick, located to the south near where the road crosses the Bamberger railroad, and turns North. The building faced West, and many gay parties were held there. The school benches were put against the walls, and for light they first had home made tallow candles, held up by three nails driven in the walls. Two held the candle up and the third held the candle away from the wall. Many evenings three or four sets of candles were used, as the dances lasted nearly all night. Later Keresene lamps were brought to the valley, that set in metal brackets along the walls for light. Many wedding and anniversary parties were held in homes of Perrigrine Sessions, James Eldredge, James marshell, Edwin Pace, Ernest Fisher and others. On these occasions the Band was sometimes hired to play for the evening pleasure and very often for just Thank You, but were always ready to help out. They danced the Virginia Real, Polka, Waltz, Plain Quadril, Waltz Quadril, Minuett, the Lancers, Souvel Ann, Schottisch, and perhaps others. In 1865 Edwin T. Wood and James Grace Wood dropped out of the Band and moved soon after to the Old Sand Ridge, now called Syracuse, and Clearfield, where they took up Farms, this leaving the five Brothers, Daniel C., Heber C., Peter C., George C., and Joseph C. At this time Joseph began playing the Cello. All music was memorized and often composed as they played by Peter and George, with others following seconds. They played such popular music as Over the Waves Waltz, Beautiful Blue Danube, Fishermans Hornpipe, Irish Wash Woman, Scotch Reel, or Poliganey Dance, also the Merry Widow Waltz by Franz Lehar, and many of the old Melodies. Their Self compositions were often requested at the following dances, but as noted had not been written it was not easy to repeat, though George, Peter and Heber wrote music for various occasions. The Wild Turkey written by Peter for Flute is a Masterpiece which he played most beautifully. They were first paid with produce for dances and each man would bring vegetables, dried fruit, meat, grain or whatever he produced. Often a young man would bring a huge pumpkin or a rooster which was accepted with much laughter. As times were better they received Three dollars each as an evenings pay. Dramatics and Concerts were often given, and the Band music was always on hand to support the groups, mostly without pay. They played for special occasions as Weddings, Harvest Balls, also Holidays as July 4th and 24th, Christmas, New Years, Valentine, and anniversaries. The

Grand Balls were given with Gay decorations suited to the often brought as old and young enjoyed the Grand Dances. The children slept on benches in improvised beds quite content till time for the home journey. About 1873 Daniel C. moved his family to Wyoming to the Star Valley Country, and Peter C. Moved with his wife Launa Pace Wood to Mexico to live. This left George C., Heber C. and Joseph C., so they invited William Brown to play the Flute in the Wood Orchestra as they now were called. He accepted, Joseph now played the 3 String Base Viol so the Orchestra played on. In early days in the Salt Lake Valley, a Pioneer Philo Dibble gave an illustrated Lecture on Early Church History, and the Prophet Joseph Smith¶s life, which consisted of oil paintings on canvas that were unrolled as Brother Dibble Sr. gave explanations of each, and between talks and pictures the Wood Band played. Often Brother Philo joined them with his Snare Drums he had played in the Nauvoo Legion. He was personally acquainted with the Prophet, as well as experiencing the early events of the Church Prosperity and tribulations. The illustrated Lectures were very instructive and interesting. A small admission charge kept up expense of travel and for near 15 years was taken through the New Salt Lake Valley towns. The Wood Band played for these lectures all through Davis and Weber Counties, and often going farther South of Salt Lake City.. It was called Phil Dibbles Illustrated Lectures on Early L.D.S. Church History. The old Reeves Hall in Centerville was another place of Grand Occasions at which the Wood Band Played. In the Fall of 1876, they played for a Harvest Grand Ball at which ball George o. Chase escorted his three beautiful daughters, Kate M., Fanny, and Josephine. They were all attractive and unattached, very friendly and jealously guarded by Father George, but very popular. Now Miss Josephine with her Golden Hair and Blue eyes seemed to interested Joseph until he almost stopped playing, at which Heber asked the reason. Joseph said, "I wish to dance with one of those Chase Girls". Well, a proper introduction was arranged by appealing to Father George, who introduced his three daughters to the band, and as Joseph especially loved waltzing, which he did very well, he asked Miss Josephine if she would please Waltz with him. She proudly, smiling, accepted, and thus began a romance and Courtship which resulted in the Marriage of Joseph Cotton Wood and Josephine Chase, which event took place the 12 of December 1878 in the Old Endowment House at Salt Lake City, Utah. In 1879 Heber moved with his family to Rockland, Idaho to live, leaving George C. and Joseph C. Wood, Brothers, and William Brown, so they invited Heber Parkins to join them, playing the violins, which he did and these four played together for twelve years. George and Joseph continued playing together with Piano for Wood Family gatherings, and Church entertainments till their deaths, always enjoying the music. Thus ends the lovely years of music and joy of the Wood Brothers Band. Taken from Daniel Wood Diary And Joseph C. Wood Memories Written by Josephine Wood Naylor Retyped by Staci Bailey October 5, 2003