You are on page 1of 2

HISTORY

We are one of the UK’s leading retailers, with over 21 million people visiting
our stores each week. We offer stylish, high quality, great value clothing and
home products, as well as outstanding quality foods, responsibly sourced
from around 2,000 suppliers globally. We employ over 75,000 people in the
UK and abroad, and have over 600 UK stores, plus an expanding
international business.
We are the number one provider of womenswear and lingerie in the UK, and
are rapidly growing our market share in menswear, kidswear and home, due
in part to our growing online business. Overall, our clothing and homeware
sales account for 49% of our business. The other 51% of our business is in
food, where we sell everything from fresh produce and groceries, to partly-
prepared meals and ready meals.
Now more than ever, we’re also known for our green credentials as a result
of our five-year eco plan, Plan A, which will see us, amongst other things,
become carbon neutral and send no waste to landfill by 2012.

FUTURE PLAN

We have spent the last five years putting in place strong foundations
in line with our long-term plan. We have introduced new products and
services in our core business of General Merchandise (GM) and Food,
broadened our multi-channel offer, expanded our international presence,
improved our property portfolio, and put Plan A at the heart of our business.
Throughout the year we have prudently managed costs and continued our
investment in our systems and supply chain so we can improve efficiency
across the business. We also responded to the changing needs of our
customers by improving our values without compromising on quality;
something we view as short-term pain for long-term gain.
As well as helping us through these tough conditions, these steps will enable
us to take advantage of the opportunities that lie ahead and maximise value
for our shareholders.
With a strong brand, the right products and an experienced management
team, we are now:
• Increasing the pace of change and operational execution in the
business;
• Leveraging M&S Direct by building more channels to market;
• Building our international portfolio to grow our global customer base;
and
• Reinvigorating our brand communications.
COMPANY SLOGAN
As we celebrate our 125th anniversary we do so with an unrivalled reputation
for Quality, Value, Service, Innovation and Trust . These core values are
as important today as they ever have been. They are all about doing the
right thing which is, quite simply, how we do business.

SHARE PRICE VALUE

343.50p -6.80
Date: 16/10/2009
Time now: 19:49 Trade time: 16:46
The share price information is delayed by at least 15 minutes.
Exchange: London Stock Exchange
Symbol: MKS.L
Best bid Best offer Day volume Day high Day low
343.30 343.50 11,909,229 352.90 342.00
Open Day change 52 week high 52 week low
350.20 -6.80 388.40 191.90
Investor information provided by Investis.