It’s not for the birds!
Cindy Donaldson @brookhollow
• Twitter (n) “a service for friends, family, and co–workers to communicate and stay connected through the exchange of quick, frequent answers to one simple question: What are you doing?” • Twitter is a combination of email, instant messenger, blogging, and platforms like Facebook or LinkedIn • The difference – it’s limited to 140 characters!
Why you should join the Twitterverse… www.twitter.com
A few Twitter facts as of 09/2010 •Twitter has 175 million registered users. •95M tweets are written per day. •They have 300 employees & are hiring Cool things you can do with Twitter • Follow current news trends • Share files such as pictures, videos, music and slide shows • Send a Twitter Business Card #twtBizCard • Support charities – and raise money! • Be political – make things happen • Find a job •Brand your company • Increase your personal and business network •Connect with like minded individuals •Become a Twitterer!
My personal Twitter @brookhollow
To follow or not to follow…that is the question!
• How to follow people
– Search key words, names, locations. – Find someone who has a lot of followers that you think might interest you and click on their follow and followers lists – Go to a “list” and see people following that list – Geo-location tools www.twellow.com
How to get followers
• You need to follow in order to be followed – unless you are famous. • Have something useful to say! • Be creative • Be a master at retweeting • Tweet links from high profile bloggers and sites • Put “Share this” links on blogs, websites etc http://sharethis.com/publishers/get-sharing-button
• @Username – your name on Twitter • Tweet – the 140 character update you post • Tweeple – people who use Twitter • RT – Retweet • DM – Direct Message • # - Hastag to track topics ie #topic • Twitterverse - the world of Tweeple! • Tweet-up – a real live human to human meeting of Tweeple • Favorite – Star Icon –these will save certain tweets • Lists – are groups of Tweeple • Mention – this is when someone “mentions” your @username in their tweet(s)
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • dventuritter: an adventurous twitterer beetweet: a buzzing tweet; a “hot” tweet co-twitterer: a partner that tweets on your Twitter account. dweet: tweet sent while intoxicated drive-by-tweet: a quick post inbetween tasks friendapalooza: a quick burst of friend-adding mistweet: a tweet in which one later regrets neweeter: a new tweeter occasionitter: an occasional tweeter politweeter: a political tweeter politweet: a political tweet qwitter: a tool used to catch twitter quitters- UseQuitter.com reportwitters: reporter style twitterers sweeple: sweet twitter people twadd: to add/follow someone to your Twitter account as a friend. twaffic: Twitter traffic. twaiting: twittering while waiting. twalking: walking while twittering via text. twapplications: Twitter applications. twead: to read a tweet from a fellow twitterer. tweepish: feeling sheepish or regretful about something you tweeted. tweeple: Twitter people, Twitter members, Twitter users. tweeps: Twitter people that follow each other from one social media/network to another. tweetaholism: the continued use of Twitter as an addiction that is difficult to control. tweetaholic: someone addicted to Twitter, so much so that it may be an actual problem. tweet-back: bringing a previous tweet conversation or reference back into the current conversation. tweet-dropping: eavesdropping on someone else’s home page in friends mode. tweeter: a user of Twitter. tweeterboxes: twitterers who tweet too much. tweetheart: that special tweeter who makes your heart skip a beat. tweetin: when a group of twitterers agree to get together at a set time to twitter. tweet(ing): the act of posting to Twitter. tweets: posts on Twitter by twitterers. tweetsulted, tweetsult: what do you think it means, you dumb twitterer? tweetup: when twitterers meet in person – a Twitter meet up. twideo-cronicity: when you’re watching someone’s videos and they are simultaneously leaving a comment or tweet for/at/about you.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • twiking: biking while twittering via text. twinkedIn: inviting friends made on Twitter to connect with you on LinkedIn. twis: to dis a fellow twitterer. very bad form. twitosphere: community of twitterers. twittastic: fantastic, wonderful, superb. twittcrastination: avoiding action while twittering, procrastination enabled by Twitter use. twittduit: If you need to tweet a friend that does not follow you, post a twittduit asking your followers to pass a message. twittectomy: an unfollowing of friends. twitter-light zone: where you are when you return to Twitter after any time away and feel disoriented and lost. twitter stream: a collection of tweets often times in alphabetical order twitosphere: the community of twepple. twitterati: The A-list twitterers. twittercal mass: a community that has achieved a critical mass of twitterers. twitterer: a user of Twitter (compare: tweeter). twittering: to send a Twitter message. twitterish: erractic behavior with short outbursts. twitteritas: women who play with their twitters. twitterness: a person’s contribution to the twitosphere. twitterfly: being a social butterfly on Twitter evidenced by extreme usage of @ signs. twitterject: interject your tweet into an existing tweet stream of conversation. twitter-ku: those who either post on both Twitter and Jaiku or load their Twitter feed into Jaiku. twitterlinkr: a service collecting the best links posted through Twitter. twitterlooing: twittering from a bathroom. twitterloop: to be caught up with friend tweets and up on the conversation. twittermob: an unruly and ragtag horde of people who descend on an ill-prepared location after a provocative Twitter message. twittermaps: a mashup technology that lets Twitter users find each other using google maps. twitterpated: to be overwhelmed with Twitter messages. twitterphoria: the elation you feel when the person you’ve added as a friend adds you back. twitterage: rage at a twitter post. twitterrhea: the act of sending too many Twitter messages. Mashable’s Suggested Additions Twegosearching: Something we never, ever do. Every 5 minutes. All day. Twitophant / Twitophantic: One who repeatedly tweets the Top 100 in an attempt to gain more followers. Actually pretty smart.
Twitterspeak - RT
Retweeting is an integral part of the Twitter experience. The retweet (or “RT”) allows Twitter users to share the best links, tweets, and gems they find from others using the service.
Twitterspeak - DM
• DM= Direct Message. This will send a message directly to another Twitter user. The rest of the Twitterverse will NOT be able to see it. • In order to DM someone they must be following you! • D @brookhollow – Hi Cindy!
How to create a List:
Click on Lists Create List Give it a name, description and hit Save List
Twitter Lists..the facts
– 20 lists per user – List names cannot begin with a numerical character – List names cannot exceed 25 characters – Maximum of 500 accounts on each list
What to use Lists for
According to @mashable (follow Pete!)
• Create a Group – Because Twitter Lists create grouped tweet streams of the people that are on them, you can use Lists to organize your tweeps into groups based on anything you want. For example, we’ve created a list of everyone at Mashable. By viewing or following this list, you easily see what all of Mashable’s employees are tweeting about. You could do the same thing with your co-workers, family, or friends, or just group Twitter users based on location, subject, or anything else you can think of. Recommend Cool Tweeps – One of the other intended purposes of Twitter Lists is to allow people to recommend other users to follow. You can create a public list of people you think other Twitter users should follow, then anyone else can visit that list and follow the people on it (or follow the list). Follow People You Aren’t Following – When you follow a Twitter List, you’re not actually following every user on the list, but following the entire list — those users’ tweets aren’t added to your main stream. You can then visit that list and view its tweet stream. That’s why you can also use Lists to follow people without really following them. For example, if there are users whose tweets you’d like to follow, but whom you don’t necessarily want in your main Twitter stream (perhaps they tweet too often for your liking), you can add them to a list and then check up on their latest tweets every once in a while by viewing your list.
Social media guru Pete Cashmore @mashable on Twitter www.mashable.com
How to find cool lists or be a cool list!
Applications that help you create lists and find cool lists: • Listorious http://listorious.com/top/lists • Twibes www.twibes.com
50 Most popular Lists
1 Team curated by Twitter 76,486 followers 2 All curated by NBCOlympics 12,729 followers 3 Social Media curated by Pete Cashmore 9,141 followers 4 Most Influential In Tech curated by Robert Scoble 8,849 followers 5 Tech News Brands curated by Robert Scoble 6,569 followers 6 Marketing curated by Pete Cashmore 5,695 followers 7 Top 50 Funny curated by Favstar.fm 5,446 followers 8 Quotes curated by Marcin Mrowca 5,431 followers 9 Tech News People curated by Robert Scoble 4,137 followers 10 Design curated by Roger Byrne 4,002 followers 11 Tech curated by Pete Cashmore 3,856 followers 12 Media curated by Pete Cashmore 3,555 followers 13 Best of Photography curated by PetaPixel 3,414 followers 14 Creatives To Watch curated by Behance 3,089 followers 15 Weapons for Entrepreneurs curated by Robert Scoble 2,993 followers 16 Founders curated by Robert Scoble 2,991 followers 17 venture_capitalists curated by Robert Scoble 2,984 followers 18 Twitter Stars curated by Pete Cashmore 2,817 followers 19 iPhone and iPad curated by Robert Scoble 2,665 followers 20 Brands curated by Pete Cashmore 2,621 followers 21 News curated by Pete Cashmore 2,577 followers 22 Staff curated by The New York Times 2,374 followers 23 Web curated by Pete Cashmore 2,321 followers 24 Tech Company Executives curated by Robert Scoble 2,313 followers 25 Non-profits curated by Pete Cashmore 2,281 followers 26 Top Web Designers curated by carsonified 2,252 followers 27 Web Innovators curated by Robert Scoble 2,190 followers 28 More @Twitter Accounts curated by Twitter 2,145 followers 29 Celebrity curated by Pete Cashmore 2,129 followers 30 Design curated by Pete Cashmore 2,113 followers 31 Top 50 Tech curated by Favstar.fm 2,037 followers 32 Tech Startups curated by Robert Scoble 2,012 followers 33 Tech Pundits curated by Robert Scoble 1,929 followers 34 Journalism curated by Pete Cashmore 1,929 followers 35 Best mindcasters I know curated by Jay Rosen 1,924 followers 36 Haiti Earthquake curated by The New York Times 1,842 followers 37 End Slavery curated by ashton kutcher 1,800 followers 38 Haiti curated by TIME.com 1,789 followers 39 Music curated by Pete Cashmore 1,754 followers 40 CMO curated by Miles Jennings 1,751 followers 41 Dancers curated by Britney Spears 1,695 followers 42 Health curated by Pete Cashmore 1,694 followers 43 A-List curated by Rob Ford 1,676 followers 44 Twitter Tools and Devs curated by Robert Scoble 1,663 followers 45 Food curated by Pete Cashmore 1,623 followers 46 Top Web Devs curated by carsonified 1,588 followers 47 Verified Accounts curated by Verified Accounts 1,560 followers 48 Thought Leaders curated by Josh Weinberger 1,558 followers 49 reserved_word curated by ムーロン(ゆ台) 1,527 followers 50 Technews curated by Tim O'Reilly 1,493 followers
Time Management – using social media dashboards
• Tweetdeck www.tweetdeck.com • Hootsuite www.hootsuite.com
People you should follow
@Mashable (Pete Cashmore) @brookhollow and @FoundersGroup (That’s me!)
Twitter for business
• Put your Twitter feed on your website • Tweet what you blog and blog what you tweet • Link Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter • Follow people you want to do business with
My business Twitter Page @FoundersGroup
Director of Marketing & Personal Lines Sales Founders Insurance Group firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
Follow me: LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/cindydonaldson
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cindydonaldson62 Twitter: @Brookhollow or @Foundersgroup Blog: www.foundersgrp.wordpress.com www.torringtonedc.wordpress.com www.brookhollow.wordpress.com (older one I’m going to bring back to life!)