This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
The purpose of this survey was to study the factors influencing the change in the brand loyalties of the smokers. The sample consists of 50 smokers of all age groups. The sampling technique followed was judgment sampling and convenience sampling, wherein the participants were picked on the basis of the discretion of the researchers and also on the basis of the availabilities of the subjects. As per the Survey results, the maximum population pertains to the age group of 18-30 years of age, at 42%. Hence, the study would have the most bearing on the taste and preferences of this age group. This category is followed by the age group of 41-60 years, with a representation of 23% in the sample. 12 respondents fall into the age group of 31-4- years and represent 17% of the sample. The age group below 18 is 8% and the age group of above 60 years is 6%. 36% of the subjects of this study fell into the income level of 19-30K per month, followed by the income category 26% falling in the 10-19K category, 10% in the below 10K slot and 18% in the above 30K slot. 40% of the respondents of this survey belong to the service sector while 20% are self employed or own their own business, and another 20% are skilled workers. 18% are unemployed and 2 % are unskilled workers.
What is your Smoking pattern?
Series1 Series2 33 Series3
13 26% Occational 2 4% Social 66% Regular 2 4% Once in a while 0 0% Other
A majority of the respondents at 66% were regular smokers, while 26% smoked occasionally. The social smokers and those who smoked once in a while were 2 respondents each. A majority of regular smokers were emphasized to facilitate the computation of correlation of the influence of brands on the choice of smokers.
What triggered you towards smoking?
Series1 25 Series2 Series3
10 4 50% 8% 20% 2 4%
9 18% 0 0%
On the basis of this survey, it was found that 50% of those who responded to the questionnaire, started smoking due to their friend circle and peer pressure. Smoking was triggered in 20% of the respondents due to their curiosity towards cigarettes, while 18% started smoking to release some pent up stress. 8% of the respondents perceived smoking to be a status symbol and started smoking while 4% were enticed with advertising.
How long have you been smoking?
Series1 Series2 Series3 23
3 6% <1 26% 02 to 04 46% 04 to 10 22% 10 and above
From all the respondents who participated in this survey, 46% have been smoking from 4-10 years. 26% have been smokers for 2-4 years while 22% have smoked for over 10 years. 3 respondents were recent smokers, who started smoking less than a year ago.
Purchase pattern of Cigarettes
Series1 25 17 8 16% 1 stick only 50% 2-3 sticks 34% One pack 0 0% For one week 0 0% For one month Series2
While studying the purchase pattern of cigarettes for each of the respondents, it was found that 50% of the respondents buy 2-3 sticks at a time, while 34% buy an entire pack together. 16% buy each stick as and when they need it. None of the respondents preferred to buy their entire stock of cigarettes for the entire week or month.
Series1 Series2 Series3 22
11 8 16% Rs. 100-250 22% Rs. 250-500 44% Rs. 500-1000
9 18% Rs. >1000
44% respondents of this survey spent Rs500-1000 per month on purchasing cigarettes. 22% of them spent Rs. 250-500, while 18% spent more that Rs. 1000. 16% spent Rs. 100- 250.
Cigarette Brand Preference
Series1 18 Series2 Series3 14 8 3 3 2 6% 0 0% 1 2% 6% 0 0% 0 0% 0 0% 36% 16% 0 0% 0 0% 28% 0 0% 0 0% 1 2% 0 0% 0 0% 4%
Out of all the major brands in circulation in the market, the researchers picked 19 brands. Classic milds came out at the top with 36% of the respondents preferring it. Golf flake wasn t too far behind with 28% respondents preferring it. 16% of the respondents preferred Classic Regulars, while Capastan and Wills both attracted 6% of the population each. Style, 555 and Marlboro were other brands which were preferred by 2% each.
Series1 18 12 Series2 20
24% 2-4 times
40% >5 times
When the respondents were questioned about the frequency of purchase of the same brand over a period of 10 purchases, 40% of the respondents admitted to buying preferred brand more than 5 times,
but not all 10 times. It was closely followed by 36% of the population, who stated that they purchased the preferred brand every time. 24% bought the preferred brand less than 5 times.
Change in Pricing policy of Preffered Brand
Shift to other brand No change in buying pattern
15 70% 30%
The respondents reaction was noted on the situation of increase in the price of preferred brand, while prices of all other brands remained constant. 70% of the respondents stated that they would shift to another brand, while the remaining 30% hinted at no change in their buying patters.
Series1 24 Series2 24
48% Go to another shop and buy same brand
48% buy another brand of cigarette
postpone buying at that time
48% of the respondents preferred to go to another shop and purchase their preferred brand while another 48% of the respondents preferred to buy another brand from the same shop. 4% opted for
postponing the purchase time so that the preferred brand would be available at the preferred shop while none of the respondents preferred to switch to a bidi or a cigar in case of unavailability.
Friends Advertisement 39 Shop owner
10 1 1 2 78% 20% 2% 3
While analyzing the role of media and advertisements on the brand awareness of the respondents, it was noticed that a whopping 78% respondents had found out about their preferred brand through friends. Another 20% were attracted with advertisements while only 2% went on the word of mouth of the shop keeper.
Series1 21 9 18% 42% 2 4% 36% 0 0% Series2 Series3 18
On studying the factors which influenced the purchase of a particular brand were, 42% of the respondents stated that they would prefer to buy their preferred brand. This was closely followed by 36% of the respondents admitting that the availability of cash in pocket was a major criteria while purchasing. 18% purchased in accordance with the choice of the peers while only 4% were pressured with the societal criteria.
Try it Ask and enquire about it 34 Ignore it
1 1 2
30% 68% 2% 3
It was seen that the respondents were neither too hasty nor too agreeable to trying new brands of cigarettes. 68% of the respondents would ask about the new brand before trying it. 30% would try I while only 2% would ignore it. This indicates that it is fairly simple to capture the initial interest of smokers; however, careful and well thought off strategies should be put in place to sustain this interest.
Display on shop 38 Pamphlets Movies
10 2 76% 4% 20% 3
To analyze the advertisement policy that should be put into place, the respondents were asked which advertisements attracted them the most. 76% of the respondents stated that the displays on the shops attracted them the most while 20% said that movies were a major force that influenced them. Only 4% stated pamphlets as effective advertisements.
17.Does advertisement affect your choice of brand? 27 23 Yes No
54% 46% 1 2 3
The survey indicated that while 54% of the sample stated that they found cigarette advertisements affective, the remaining 46% stated that they were barely influences by it. This hints at no significant difference in the influence of advertisements. The smokers are better influenced by word of mouth and the quality and he flavor of the cigarettes along with its affordability.
Series1 Series2 Series3 24 14
While trying to assess the influence of a free lighter to attract customers, it was noted that 48% would have initially bought the competing brand and obtain the free lighter, but after that one purchase, they
would switch back to their preferred brand. 28% of the respondents maintained that they would not be swayed away from their preferred brand even with an enticing offer such as a lighter. Only 24% of the respondents reported that they would switch brands for ever if a free lighter was offered. This indicates that freebies are not very effective in attracting new customers for cigarette companies.
Series1 Series2 Series3 32
9 8% 2 4% Mouth Freshner 3 6% Cash Return 18% 64%
Free Sticks Any Offer
19.What do you like most as a freebie?
It was seen through this survey that 64% of the respondents were game for any sort of promotional offers along with their cigarettes, while 18% preferred free sticks. 8% of the respondents thought that lighters would be the apt freebie while the remaining 6% preferred cash returns and 4% preferred mouth fresheners. This indicates that free sticks and cash back would be better offers to sway customers from their preferred brands than offering a free lighter.
The results from this survey indicate that the major factors that contribute to a smoker choosing a particular brand over the rest are the quality of the product, the flavor and aroma of the cigarettes. The brand image does not play a significant role in enticing the customers. Word of mouth is a major influencer when it comes to trying new brands and the advertisements that are displayed inside shops act as the most effective and attractive source of wooing customers. Peer pressure and peer influence are the main reasons for an individual to start smoking.