Commercial Drivers License| TestQuestionsAndAnswers.



Copyright 2011 All Rights Reserved.

Are you ready to start your new career as a truck driver?
After a major recession, one of the first signs economists look for to determine if the economy is bouncing back is the number of goods being shipped. If economic times are improving, companies receive more orders and those goods have to be shipped. That means that some of the first to benefit when the economy starts to improve are those in the transportation and shipping industry. Those unfortunate individuals who have lost jobs due to the economic downturn may want to consider getting a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) and working in the transportation industry.

Classes of Commercial Drivers License:
The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications: Class A
• Any combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B
• Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Not Just For Long Haul Truckers
CDL licenses aren’t restricted to long haul truckers and you don’t always have to drive cross country. Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMVs) include anything from 18 wheelers to buses, dump trucks, airport vans, and limousines. Driving any of those vehicles requires a CDL license and there are different levels and endorsements for CDL licenses depending on the type of vehicle driven to the type of cargo being transported.

Class C
• Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is transporting material that has been designated as hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and is required to be placarded .

Copyright 2011 All Rights Reserved.

Age Requirements
The type of CDL needed and the requirements for getting those licenses are governed by both federal and state laws. Under federal law, anyone driving a CMV over state lines (interstate) must be 21 years of age or older in order to be licensed. Some states allow drivers 18 and older to get a CDL for driving CMVs within the state borders (intrastate) but most limit school bus drivers to age 21 and older. You should check with your state DMV to determine whether you meet the requirements for the type of vehicle you want to drive.

Test Requirements for a CDL License
Federal law requires applicants for a CDL to pass both a knowledge (written) test and a skills (behind the wheel) test. A driver has to take the skills test in the type of vehicle that he or she plans to drive. As long as the test meets the state and federal requirements, most driving schools can act as third party testers to provide the skills test. For help in passing the knowledge tests for both the basic CDL and the endorsements, practice exams are available at: Test Questions and

Endorsements and Restrictions:
In addition to the basic knowledge and skills test, drivers who plan to drive specific types of vehicles or to carry certain types of cargo must also have an endorsement on their CDL license showing those special qualifications:

T - Double/Triple Trailers (Knowledge test only) P - Passenger (Knowledge and Skills Tests) N - Tank Vehicle (Knowledge Test only) H - Hazardous Materials (Knowledge Test and TSA Threat Assessment) X - Combination of Tank Vehicle and Hazardous Materials S - School Bus (Knowledge and Skills Tests)

Copyright 2011 All Rights Reserved.

Find CDL Practice Tests for the following:
CDL General Knowledge Air Brakes

Hazardous Materials
Doubles and Triples Pre-Trip Inspection Tankers (Tank Vehicles)

NEW YORK & NEW JERSEY: Some states such as New York and New Jersey also have additional endorsement requirements for CDL drivers within those states. Please check with your states DMV for additional details.

For more information on CDL licenses, visit the following websites: o Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration


Copyright 2011 All Rights Reserved.

Sign up to vote on this title
UsefulNot useful