This action might not be possible to undo. Are you sure you want to continue?
Asia Pulp and Paper (APP) fundamentally believes it the company’s responsibility to improve the health, economic and social conditions of the communities where it operates. This belief guides its actions in business and society throughout the world, but especially in Indonesia, where, according to the Indonesian Central Board of Statistics, more than 30 million Indonesians live below the poverty line.
Over the years and continuing today, APP has worked with local, regional and national government officials in their shared quest to:
• Create an Indonesia that is safe and peaceful • Establish justice and democracy for all citizens • Advance the welfare of the people
To offer these residents a chance for a quality education, APP:
• Constructs classroom facilities • Provides community funding for the continued operation of secular and religious schools • Provides school buses that transport children living in remote rural areas • Underwrites teacher training to ensure that students receive a quality education • Underwrites scholarships for students of all ages from lower school though university. In villages where the Indonesian government underwrites tuition costs, APP mills provide stationery supplies, school bags, school uniforms, books, and other necessities to local students. In addition, APP mills provide direct assistance to local schools by donating composition books that can be sold by the schools at low cost to raise money for the school operations.
Meanwhile, APP has developed a strategy aligned with the United Nations Millennium Goals, which include:
• Creating jobs and poverty-reduction programs • Maintaining macro-economic stability • Accelerating investments, exports and tourism • Improving access to, and quality of, education and health care • Developing infrastructure with private sector In meeting these objectives, APP has made much progress, but it also understands that to truly make a lasting difference in Indonesia and throughout the world, its corporate social responsibility efforts can never cease. Following are a few snapshots of APP’s CSR achievements.
To help enable villagers to improve their standard of living, APP offers a wealth of opportunities and programs, such as: • Allowing entrepreneurs and tradesmen to do business on-site at production facilities • Creating collaborative enterprises with local cooperatives • Contracting with small, independent business that earn fair returns while meeting the production facility’s daily service needs • Providing skills training in a variety of industries to enable villagers to find jobs or launch independent enterprises.
EDUCATION IN INDONESIA
Since 2003, APP has operated on-site schools at its production facilities for employees and their families who live in surrounding villages.
APP supports and encourages small and medium businesses surrounding its facilities, including transport services, product finishing operations, cleaning services, civil construction works, mold and pallet making, machine repair services and canteen facilities providing food for the employees at company sites.
APP strongly believes that corporate social responsibility includes providing quality healthcare services not only to its employees but to the villagers in the communities in and around the company’s production facilities.
That’s why APP:
• Operates a medical clinic at each of its facilities that provides first aid and primary care to employees and to families of employees living on site. • Has implemented a number of programs designed to make medical services available and accessible to the people in local communities. Such services include mobile clinics to reach people in need who are unable to visit the clinic office, pesticide fogging services to prevent the spread of dengue fever and malaria, and bridge loans or other financial support to expand or provide new health care clinics or hospitals.
INFRASTRUCTURE AND QUALITYOF-LIFE IMPROVEMENTS
The presence of an APP production facility in a community typically results in a noticeable enhancement in quality-of-life for nearby villages. In addition to its contribution in social programs, APP funds infrastructure-improvement projects to make life better in rural villages.
• Building roads and bridges to give villagers better access • Renovating schools, mosques and local government public buildings • Providing equipment and other resources to make fresh, clean water available to people living in rural communities • Providing electric power to many of the communities near its operations.