You are on page 1of 2

Stoczek Łukówski is a town in the Lublin Voivodeship of eastern Poland located about 15 miles W
of Łuków.


Year Total population Jews

1827 557 62
1857 612 178
1897 1,910 1,172
1921 2,951 1,962

Stoczek was first mentioned in 1472 as a town in the ownership of Poznan Andazi Benina. In the
17th century, the city was completely destroyed during a Swedish invasion. In the beginning of
the 18th century, Stoczek was established and in 1774 Poznan Andazi Benina built a new church.
Since it was a church city, Jews were forbidden to settle there for hundreds of years.

In the start of the 19th century, only a very small number of Jews settled. By the second half of
the same century, their number had grown considerably. In the 19th century most of the Jews of
Stoczek made a living by craft and peddling. A small number of them owned stands in the local
market and were small farmers.


[1] Pinkas hakehillot Polin: entsiklopedyah shel ha-yishuvim ha-Yehudiyim le-min hivasdam ve-
`ad le-ahar Sho'at Milhemet ha-`olam ha-sheniyah (Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities,
Poland), Volume VII: Lublin, Kielce districts. Yad Vashem: Jerusalem, 1999.

Alternate names: Stoczek Łukowski [Pol], Stochek Lukovski, Сточек-Луковски

[Rus], ‫[ סטוצ'ק לוקובסקי‬Yid]. 51°57' N, 21°58' E, 20 miles SW of Siedlce, 20 miles W of Łuków. (12
localities in Poland are named 'Stoczek'.) 1900 Jewish population: 1,172. Gmina Stoczek Łukowski is a
rural administrative district in Łuków powiat, Lublin Voivodeship in E Poland with its seat in the town of
Stoczek Łukowski, although not part of the territory of the gmina. The gmina 2006 total population was
8,566. Gmina Stoczek Łukowski contains the villages and settlements of Aleksandrówka, Błażejki, Borki,
Celej, Guzówka, Jagodne, Jamielne, Jamielnik-Kolonia, Januszówka, Jedlanka, Kamionka, Kapice,
Kienkówka, Kisielsk, Łosiniec, Mizary, Nowa Prawda, Nowe Kobiałki, Nowy Jamielnik, Rosy, Róża
Podgórna, Ruda, Stara Prawda, Stara Róża, Stare Kobiałki, Stary Jamielnik, Szyszki, Toczyska, Turzec,
Wiśniówka, Wola Kisielska, Wólka Poznańska, Wólka Różańska, Zabiele and Zgórznica. [July 2009]
US Commission No. POCE000647
Stoczek Lukowski is located in Siedlechie province, 30 km from Lukow and 35 km from Siedlce.
The cemetery is located outside the locality where Dwernickiego Street turns into the dirt road to Vola
Kisielska. Present town population is 1,000-5,000.
• Town: Urzad Miasta I Gminy, Pl. Kosciuszki, tel. 26.
• Regional: Wojwodzki Konserwator Zabytkow Siedlce, ul. Zbrojna 3, tel. No. 394-58.
• Interested: Jozef Filipdzuk and Janusz Tchorzewski, inhabitants of Stoczek Lukowski.
The cemetery is open with no caretaker. The Jewish population before WWII was under 3,000. The
Jewish community dates from early 19th century. The cemetery was established in the 19th century with
last known burial was during WWII. The isolated rural/agricultural hillside has no sign or marker. Reached
by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. The cemetery has very damaged wire-net fencing
and no gate. The size today and before WWII was 0.7 hectare. No stones are visible. No known mass
graves. Municipality owns property used for Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. The
cemetery was vandalized during WWII. No care or structures. Vegetation is a moderate threat.
Cezary Ostas, Siedlce, ul. Pomorska 1/68, tel. 290-95 completed survey on 17 Dec 1992 using the
urban-historical study by Janusz Kubiak, Warszawa, 1969, accessible in the office of the conservator. He
visited the site and interviewed Teresa Dlubinska on 7 Dec 1992.
Last Updated on Sunday, 12 July 2009 13:08

Related Interests